Undead ericsban06

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

It LIVES AGAIN!

As some of you may or may not know, my ericsbane07 system met a with a sad ending a week or so ago when a recurring intermittent issue finally pinched my last non-numbed nerve ending, which caused a great upheaval in this room and my life. Irish dancing may have played a part as did American wrestling and maybe some kickboxing, too. And while it did have the positive effect on getting me off my arse for a little exercise and increased heart rates, it was not a wholesome event for ericsbane07, sadly.

I'm sad about it because this system was the absolute pinnacle of my unwholesome hobby of building Frankenputers from parts dug up in the dark of night from odd churchyards, garages, and workshops over the years. I still remember all the tender loving care I gave this machine when assembling it. It was a beautiful thing!

Bench testing shortly after assembly in December of 2016:

Tczcud5.jpg

What and MONSTER this machine was! Ah... just memories now. Memories.

___

Well, due to this warped morning a few days ago, I've had to revert to an older Frankenputer (ericsbane06), which is an undead machine now. I've revived it with technical know-how and two or three dark spells whilst standing is a charmed circle and spewing out grotesqueness of the "Old Ones" in the hopes that I could make it live again.

And as much as I was determined to NOT spend too much time redoing all my customizations and other odds and ends things that I do to all my systems, I find that I'm doing it, anyway. If you're going to use a computer, you should make it be the way you want it to be. So, for a few days now, I've been tweaking, customizing, modifying, and such. Today was no exception.

Today, the plan was to do a couple simple things here and there. Well, one thing lead to another and next thing I know, I've done all kinds of carp today. I installed new software. I tweaked existing software. I backed things up. I deleted things. I upgraded two very important things... Firefox and Thunderbird. Using scripts created/provided by Ruari and Ponce from LQ.org, I was able to upgrade my Firefox and Thunderbird to the newest versions in my Slackware. That beats the heck out of running those ancient Extended Support Release version that the OS comes with from out of the box.

I hope to just sit in here and do my usual Internetting tomorrow. I don't want to spend another 10 hour day sitting at this desk fine tuning all this stuff. I'm getting old. I'm just happy that it comes on when I push the power button. I don't want to tweak anymore! ;)

And there you have it... How Eric spent his summer vacation... er, I mean the last week or so. :hysterical:

• Like 6

V.T. Eric Layton
11 hours ago, crp said:

Are you near Orlando, Eric?

I'm in Tampa, FL, @crp... near the Gulf Coast, about 80 or so miles southwest of Orlando.

fl.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=a8053651fa67d3bdc7

Orlando is one of those places in FL that I avoid like The Plague. I've been known to ride/drive 150 miles out of my way just to avoid the Interstate system in that city.

Anyway, why do you ask?

V.T. Eric Layton

And today's projects are going to include setting up my USENET server and my RSS Feeds in Thunderbird. YAY!

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, the USENET and RSS set up went pretty smoothly. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, YAY! I found the mother load of backup DVDs last night. I was able to get back quite a lot of my lost email addresses, my lost pics, my lost music, etc. I also found my custom homepage html files and some apps (vlc, for one) that I had lost. Yippee... another constructive day! :)

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

Found backed up themes and icons (for Xfce) in those archives today. Oooh, goody!

V.T. Eric Layton
3 hours ago, crp said:

maybe, just maybe he would be interested in your challenging pc.

I doubt it. My "challenging" pc is a twisted and smashed up pile of junk that's now out in the garbage bin with the shredded paper and used litter from the cats' litter boxes.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... I came real close to hosing this system today whilst I was tweaking BIOS settings to see if I could get Suspend to work on this 'puter. I remembered that the entire time I used it originally (2013 - 2016), I never could get Suspend to work. Well, I still haven't got it to work, but at least I recovered from twiddling with BIOS things that I should NOT have been twiddling with. YAY!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

abarbarian
On 1/4/2024 at 5:47 AM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

that's now out in the garbage bin with the shredded paper and used litter from the cats' litter boxes.

I'm shocked that you do not compost your shredded paper and kitty litter. 😲

V.T. Eric Layton

I don't normally use shredded paper as kitty litter. However, when the Li'l Orange Guy (normally backyard kitty) gets to come into my back porch during inclement weather, there's a small litter box out there for him. I started using shredded personal papers from my "burn bag" for his litter box. I figure most thieves going through my garbage bin are not going to want to piece together the shredded tax records, banks or credit card statements, etc. that have been pee'd and poop'd on by Li'l Orange Guy.

The inside cat's litter box is standard clay litter.... and it does get tossed outside into my backyard to compost out there with all the dead leaves and other detritus. :)

• Like 1