Lost Password

JerryM

I have usws Last Pass to keep passwords for years. My adult kids have been using my system and have lost my master Pass Word.

I have tried the recovery instructions to no avail.

Is there I can delete Last Pass and use another password app?

Jerry

V.T. Eric Layton

I can't really assist you too much here, @JerryM. This is my password management method...

letter_paper_and_pen_vector_275746.jpg&f

Stay tuned for some help from Josh or Corrine or others here. Good luck with it! :)

securitybreach

Well personally I prefer Bitwarden, its opensource and free. That said, I do not think there is a way to recovery your previous passwords from LastPass if you forgot the master password and do not have access to the email of said account.

18 hours ago, JerryM said:

Is there I can delete Last Pass and use another password app?

Are you saying you cannot uninstall Last Pass? I don't see why you cannot uninstall it, and install it anew starting over with an empty safe - assuming you cannot just reset Last Pass, as per those instructions above, and start over. 

In the future, I would urge you to keep a copy on a second computer. 

I also don't understand how they "lost" your master password. Did everyone suddenly forget it? Otherwise, the only way it could get "lost" is if someone who had it, changed it, then forgot it. And personally, I would be very upset if my kids changed any of my passwords (whether they forgot them or not), especially the master password to my password manager/safe. 

For those who do not yet use a password manager/safe, I would urge you to migrate to one ASAP. In addition to Last Pass, other recommended safes include, Password Safe, and KeePass Password Safe. Enpass and RoboForm are very popular favorites too. While I personally don't have total faith in the password managers built into browsers, they are definitely better than not using a manager. 

Way too often I have gone to a client's home or office for a trouble call, flipped over the keyboard and found their list of passwords to their bank, insurance and other sensitive sites. :( If not under the keyboard, then in the desk drawer or in an index card box sitting next to the monitor. :( This is very unwise. If a bad guy breaks into your home or office, chances are he is going sit in your computer chair and search what's within arm's length. If he finds your passwords, he will take them. Note he will also take your external drive so make sure that is NOT the only backup copy of your data. 

It does not have to be a bad guy either. Mother Nature might flick a tornado, hurricane, fire or flood your way. 

Just don't write the master password to your password manager on a sticky-note attached to your monitor. I've seen that too. :rolleyes:

securitybreach

I prefer bitwarden, its fully open source and free. Your password are encrypted locally so they do not even have access to them. Combine that with a yubikey and you can have two factor authentication with a physical key.