Mageia 8.0

raymac46

Those of you who know me well realize that I have a soft spot for Mageia - because it is a fork of one of Bruno's favorite distros. I ran Mandriva for a while so I am quite familiar with its control center and RPM package management.

Now I don't want another distro installed on the rails but I would like to have Mageia in VirtualBox. The problem I have had in the past is that after an update or two Mageia usually crashes and burns and I am faced with a  VBox nuke and repave job.

However hope springs eternal, and Mageia 8.0 is out so I'll give it a go. Installation was easy and the Guest Additions work out of the box. I chose the Xfce desktop because I usually manage to screw up Plasma panels immediately after install.

I installed the Otter Browser which I quite like. I am now posting from Mageia 8 on VBox 6.1. We'll see how long I can survive.

• Like 1

Total agreement with raymac46, Bruno helped me so so  many times in the past with Mandriva .  That man still lives on in this old man's memory. 

jolphil

• +1 1

If I may borrow from my Unilever skillset analysis, I have a Basic Appreciation of Mageia/Mandriva whereas Bruno was Fully Operational. That is a couple of levels above me for sure.

Although I would never put myself in his shoes, I do think it's important that someone around here keeps Mageia running in case there is a technical issue. I might be able to help a bit if that happens. At least I know the basic system.

Is anyone else at BATL more knowledgable about Mandriva/Mageia?  I'd be glad to hand over the keys to the car if they are.

Edited by raymac46

Hedon James

Not this guy, but Mageia is RPM-based and KDE-centric, so I'd think that OpenSUSE knowledge base and/or skillsets would translate pretty well.  JMO...

And now that I've said that out loud, it hits me that we have very few RPM users on here.  I think MHBELL runs OpenSUSE (or did, at one point), but beyond that, I'm hard pressed to think of anyone.  I've been here several years now, but I'm probably still "the new guy" in terms of tenure, and I don't think I remember a single post...EVER....about Fedora or RHEL.  2 of the largest ecosystems in linux land, and I can't remember a single discussion, let alone a single user.  I find that unusual, FWIW.

While this board has a pretty broad spectrum of represented users, it's heavily tilted in the direction of Debian, 'Buntus, Mint, and Arch camps.  Interesting!

securitybreach

Well because Redhat is an enterprise only distro. Unless you have a thousand plus to spend, you generally are not running Redhat at home. There is/was CentOS which I used for a while on my server but I didnt need all the enterprise tools so I decided to put Arch back on there. I know all about Redhat as I use it at work some but its not geared towards the home user at all. Fedora is their desktop version of Redhat but its still not as polished as other distros IMO.

Times change. Back when I first joined there was lots of interest in Mandrake/Mandriva plus Slackware thanks to Bruno's influence. You could be sure of great support if you chose either of those distros. Thanks to Eric, Slackware savvy is still great here. And we have sunrat for Debian and Josh for Arch. The list isn't exhaustive but for sure Arch Debian and Slack are in good hands. I would say also OpenSUSE as ebrke has run that for years.

I still find RPM a rather unusual package management system compared to APT and pacman, but that's just me. Maybe the new dnf system is better - not sure.

• Like 1