Problem after Windows Creators Update

DR M

Please, remember that I know nothing about commands in terminal. So I want the exact command to type in. :)

Meanwhile, I set Windows boot first and let check disk to run.

You don't. As far as your computer is concerned it's Windows only and Linux does not exist. You should just run Windows for a while and maybe remove Linux entirely. It is a disaster to try to dual boot with Windows 10 with these updates going on.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 2

I don't know what your computer specs are but if you have 8 GB or RAM or more you can install VirtualBox and learn how to use it. Then you can run a Linux system in VirtualBox. It will be slower but safer. Or get an old PC and install Linux on its own. Right now I do NOT dual boot anything with Windows 10.

I deleted Linux partition, and the computer ... died again: Your computer ran into a problem and needs to restart. And instead of restart, there is a black screen and nothing else...

OK! This is the end. I will re-install Windows. I really appreciate your help, but it seems that something is really wrong here. Thank you so much for all your help! I will let you know if everything goes well.

• Like 1

When this is resolved MAKE A WINDOWS RECOVERY DISK OR USB DRIVE. I cannot emphasize this enough. It would have fixed a lot of problems.

• Like 1

securitybreach
It is a disaster to try to dual boot with Windows 10 with these updates going on.

Actually it works just fine. I dual boot on one of my work machines with Archlinux and Windows 10. I have yet to have an issue and I run the Developer Preview version of Win 10 on that machine.

It is a disaster to try to dual boot with Windows 10 with these updates going on.

Actually it works just fine. I dual boot on one of my work machines with Archlinux and Windows 10. I have yet to have an issue and I run the Developer Preview version of Win 10 on that machine.

Well I have no intention of trying it. No need to with VBox. Look at the mess we had here.

i would like to add that if Windows itself is not offering an update, don't pull it down and install it. If it is not offered on your system that means that MSFT is not 99% sure about the compatibility.

• Like 2

securitybreach

Well I have no intention of trying it. No need to with VBox. Look at the mess we had here.

Well normally I wouldn't but I have to test it for work on this specific hardware. I do have 12 virtual machines running at any given time as well.

If it's part of your job I can see why you need to try it out. But given that I have a number of other machines to try Linux on (plus VirtualBox) I am just going to steer clear of dual booting for a while.

I think the update is messing with the partitions and even grub can't figure it out. Probably our OP is wise to just reinstall Windows if he can.

At least if you get an update and it borks your bootloader you'll be ready for it after the last couple of days. :smashcomp:

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 2

I would like to thank again everyone helped me to solve this problem. I appreciate your help and I'm very thankfull to you.

I finally reinstalled Windows. Everything seems to be OK.

I will leave Linux installed in my old laptop. I don't need a dual boot here!!! :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Late to the party here, but just want to mention I had no problem with the recent huge update except for it messing with a few tweaks I'd done inside Windows. Running Win10 Pro here which boots nicely along with 4 Linux distros, from siduction GRUB. It's UEFI/GPT so may be a different kettle of fish from the OP's.

No way am I going to try running games like GTAV, Watch Dogs 2, or Rise Of The Tomb Raider in VirtualBox!

• Like 1

No way am I going to try running games like GTAV, Watch Dogs 2, or Rise Of The Tomb Raider in VirtualBox!

A scary thought. I wouldn't even try my slow unexciting Train Sim games in anything but native Windows.

BTW I just set up VirtualBox on a Lenovo Flex2 15D laptop running Windows 10. What a PITA.

After downloading and installing VirtualBox I tried to set up a virtual machine but all that was offered were 32 bit systems.

After some Googling I concluded that 64 bit virtualization was disabled in the BIOS.

On a Lenovo Flex 2 you have to power down, then push a little button on the side with a bent paper clip. Sure enough the virtualization was disabled. After fixing this I was then able to install 64 bit VMs.

I have Manjaro running here now just to test things out. It's pretty slow as my HDD here is a spinner at 5400 RPM. I'm really chewing up the memory too. Up to about 5 GB out of 8.

I'm thinking about getting an old Thinkpad or Dell Latitude to use as a Linux testbed. I had an 2005 era Dell desktop for this years ago but gave it away to my daughter's preschool. A laptop would be better anyway since you don't have to set up a desktop system to run a few tests.

https://hackaday.com...comment-page-2/

Edited by raymac46