SuSe 9.1 personal

georgeg4

One quick thing. I noticed using Mandrake Loader, is that it says it can't find ext3 file system on hda8 (My SuSE root).Does Mandrake recognise Reisers Journaling System ???? :drooling:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• striker

• Ozidave

• georgeg4

• Bruno

im not sure ozi but i installed suse with ext3 and it seems to run ok . i am in suse now i just cant seem to get them both working at the same time :drooling: but yesterday when i first installed suse using reiser it didnt see drake

ok George, got it.When I'm right this is in fact you have now :hda5 = / for Mandrake 10 Officialhda6 = swaphda7 = /Home for Mandrakehda8= / for SuSE 9.1 PersonalYou partitioned hda8 = SuSE with the ext3 filesystem.You partitioned hda5 = Mandrake with the linux native filesystem,then it was overwritten/reformatted by the install of Mandrake.Which filesystem is it using now?You installed the SUSE bootloader ( lilo ) into hda .You skipped to install a bootloader during install of Mandrake.Your problem now is :You can't boot into SuSE, it's giving you a kernel panic. You can boot into Mandrake just fine.However, your latest post showed you're in SuSE...how did you accomplish that when it was giving you a kernel panic???Now tell me George, is the above correct ? If not, please correct and repost.-------------What you could do now - before I have a look at your answer - is the below :First note that both distros recognize and work very well with the reiser filesystem.All my distros (except two of them which don't know how to handle it yet ) are using the reiser jounalled filesystem.In fact, it's SuSE's default filesystem.In your situation I would have turned things around, and would have used Mandrake as the first distro and used its bootloader to boot the whole system.You reversed things, so we can try to see if we can things get going this way.So let us have a look at what to do next : we do have the bootloader which doesn't boot into SuSE, so let's try to get the proper info to put into lilo right now.1] Boot up in Mandrake.2] do the following :

$ su< password ># mkdir /mnt/hda8# rm -rf /boot/suse# mount /dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8# cp -r /mnt/hda8/boot /boot/suse# cp /etc/lilo.conf /home/yourusername# ls -al /boot/suse

Now here after the last command above you'll see the proper info for which vmlinuz and initrd SuSE needs to boot...Please copy the outcome of it in kedit,save it to your desktop for future reference and then post it here. We then will have a look at it how to proceed.Next, close the konsole.In the maintime I'm going to install 9.1 Personal on the machine, replacing my Pro version, as I told I would do. (posted that yesterday)After that, I'm going to tweak and tune some minor things in it and then I'll have a look at the forums again to see if you responded already.

i guess i should back off and wait for your reply striker . since i had that kernel panic i went back to suse disk and followed your instructions and repaired the install and now i am back in suse but i dont have drake in the lilo . i am using suse's lilo now . i was just going to try to write drake into lilo today . but i guess i had better wait for a reply first

Does Mandrake recognise Reisers Journaling System ???? :hmm:
It sure does. I have Mandrake 10.1 Community Edition on a Reiserfs partition right now (it boots and works).

had some huge problems here...per accident I erased the Mandrake boot directory.Rescue wouldn't do it, upgrade didn't fix it either, it just made more a mess of it. Had to reinstall Mandrake, re-update,retune and retweak...checking all the other distros and at last I hope to get into SuSE personal in a few moments. When all is well it will take on the second phase of install and then comes tweaking time again.Wish me luck ! Hold on George, I didn't forget you.

OK I' m back in to the completeness of all distros :o Now, ain' t that a way to learn? :D George, gimme half an hour to get some coffee and look what' s going on in this thread. I 'll be back soon... :hmm:

here is what i did striker . i used your script in reverse subbing drake for suse and here are the results . i assume i can rewrite lilo in suse to boot drake since the bootloader and suse are working fine now . all i have to do is add drake and windows and i am home freelinux:/home/georgeg4 # ls -al /boot/Mandraketotal 3736drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2004-10-16 02:44 .drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2004-10-16 02:44 ..-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 2004-10-16 02:44 boot.0300lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2004-10-16 02:44 config -> config-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 54087 2004-10-16 02:44 config-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5032 2004-10-16 02:44 diag1.img-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16796 2004-10-16 02:44 diag2.imgdrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2004-10-16 02:44 grub-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 140188 2004-10-16 02:44 initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 105843 2004-10-16 02:44 initrd-2.6.4-52Suse-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 104239 2004-10-16 02:44 initrd-2.6.4-52Suse.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 2004-10-16 02:44 initrd.img -> initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 2004-10-16 02:44 kernel.h -> /boot/kernel.h-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 537 2004-10-16 02:44 kernel.h-2.6.3-7mdk-rw------- 1 root root 536064 2004-10-16 02:44 maplrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 2004-10-16 02:44 message -> message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 442273 2004-10-16 02:44 message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 116 2004-10-16 02:44 message-textlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 2004-10-16 02:44 System.map -> System.map-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 898908 2004-10-16 02:44 System.map-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 2004-10-16 02:44 us.kltlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2004-10-16 02:44 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1440198 2004-10-16 02:44 vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdklinux:/home/georgeg4 #

OK George,First of all let' s backup the lilo to your /home directory :

cp /etc/lilo.conf /home/georgeg4

When all things fail, you can always put the backup back.Can you post the outcome of this please :

cat /etc/lilo.conf

That way I can see what you' ve got already so I can try to adapt Mandrake.

here it is striker Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Fri Oct 15 14:15:25 2004menu-scheme = Wb:kw:Wb:Wbdefault = Linuxtimeout = 80message = /boot/messagechange-rules resetread-onlypromptboot = /dev/hdaimage = /boot/vmlinuz ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux### label = Linux initrd = /boot/initrd root = /dev/hda8 append = "resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent desktop" vga = 0x317image = /boot/vmlinuz ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe### label = Failsafe initrd = /boot/initrd root = /dev/hda8 append = "ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 3"linux:/home/georgeg4 #

Hi Fella'sYou can get Mandrake to boot-up from the SuSE menu and it's pointless giving you the syntax to do it with, as no-matter how you configure it, it never loads CUPS, CD, USB or SOUND drivers...In other words it always loads in 'safe-mode'. Everything else works fine.... NO drivers.And I think I've finished with it. :thumbsdown:SuSE loads fine with just the Boot-Loader on floppy... How the drivers can be incorporated for either SuSE or Mandrake to 'swap' them as they do in handling swapping with Windows. I have no idea.Personally I think it's a BIOS problem.. The first Distro starts with the Bios and doesn't hand it to the second one, hence the 'Safe-Mode'.Windows ignores the Bios, as it has it on disk in its loader.I could be wrong... I usually am. :P

Hi DaveLooks to me that the modules are not loaded at boot . . are you sure you have the line "initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img" in your lilo ?? And what about the "append"-line . . is it complete ? ( depends on Drake version ):) Bruno

Bruno,It' s a bit confusing overhere...Did a little playing in SuSE Personal : the answer for George 's question is ready but I can' t post it yet; because you can' t start kate nor kwrite as user using su. (and kedit or gedit are not in the distro.I know how to add gedit, but that' s out of the question at this moment.)And Kate or kwrite are needed for editing the lilo.conf file.Now that' s a thing isn' t it? Never saw that in any distro I' ve tried. The only possibility to edit a file like lilo or something the like, is by doing it as root... What do you think Bruno, imho it should have been better to use Mandrake as the default distro and adapt its lilo to start up SuSE.

StrikerYou may be right. I have always used Mandrake as my default distro. I have added Suse to it without problems for four Suse installs that I can think of between three different machines. Right now I have about 8 different entries in my Mandrake Lilo and they are all working great. :)

Hi George & Striker & Bruno,Well I finally got something working. So far Mandrake is running while 'USING' SuSE's boot-loader.Mandrake all working:CD Drives x 2 with audio output.Mouse.Keyboard.Printer.Sound.NO editor problems either.So! it looks ALL Ok so far.....SuSE appears to be working Ok too, Cd's are fine.Audio Ok.Printer Ok.Keyboard.Mouse.NO editor problems.But! I haven't finished testing it..... or Mandrake either, to It's absolute full extent. Now I'm going to have a beer and will play tomorrow. It's tiring at the moment after a VERY late night which ended this morning.. :)Hi Bruno,I don't know whether I tried that remedy or not, but I think I did... as I remember putting a lot of numbers and kernels in many times.Anyway, it seems to be working Ok now... but not using that configuration. :) Will let you know tomorrow.

George,Below you find some code to be opened in an editor.It seems Suse refuses to do so while being logged in as user using the su command in konsole.The only workaround I found, while not being forced to use Vi, is doing that command as root. If you want to do that, do so at your own risk. It might be a better idea to use the mandrake bootloader to boot the other distro(-s).That proved to be working ok 100% on several machines with several distros. I 'm a little confused...the way I see it when looking at your posts above, you're either using the mandrake lilo or the suse lilo...Well, let's see when using the suse lilo bootloader how to get that darned thing to recognize mandrake and boot it.Looking at your last post it's suse's one. If I'm correct try this : (otherwise don't do anything and post back what you're using to boot what with.)Open up a konsole, then try this :

$ su< password ># mkdir /mnt/hda5# rm -rf /boot/mandrake# mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5# cp -r /mnt/hda5/boot /boot/mandrake# cp /etc/lilo.conf /home/georgeg4# Kate /etc/lilo.conf

======> Kate will open your lilo.conf now to edit it <======In Kate you'll see this : (As far as I can tell there are some typos in it...

menu-scheme = Wb:kw:Wb:Wbdefault = Linux <==================== where are the "" ?timeout = 80message = /boot/messagechange-rulesresetread-onlypromptboot = /dev/hdaimage = /boot/vmlinuz###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###label = Linux <===================== where are the "" ?initrd = /boot/initrdroot = /dev/hda8append = "resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent desktop"vga = 0x317image = /boot/vmlinuz###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###label = Failsafe <==================== where are the "" ?initrd = /boot/initrdroot = /dev/hda8append = "ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 3"

Am I correct there are some typos above ...if so, correct them now you can.Now substitute it with the code below :

image = /boot/mandrake/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdklabel ="Mandrake10"root = /dev/hda5initrd =/boot/mandrake/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.imgappend ="devfs=mount resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent"read-only

Now save it !!! and close Kate.Back in the konsole type the exit command two times to get out of it and close the konsole.Now once again open up the konsole and :

$ su< password ># cat /etc/lilo.conf

Here you have a last change to inspect your newly created lilo.conf .If it's ok - and just take your time to look very closely, so if it's ok then :

#/sbin/lilo

Now type the exit command two times to get out of it and close the konsole, and then restart the computer.If all is well it will give you the bootloader with the options to choose between SuSE and Mandrake 10.

Can I just say something here.We seem to be missing one of the simplest tools available with Mandrake... :blink: Most of us install Mandrake with 'log in user without a password' in KDE, and when you want to work as 'Root' you either have to go to 'boot' options etc, etc... and change all that. and re-boot, or work with a terminal.It is a lot easier to log-out and Log BACK in using the GNOME desk-top, and forget all of the 'terminal' options and SU commands that suffer from typo's. :) It at least, logs you in as 'root' if you want to change anything. :w00t:

Maybe there' s another way to do it by using gedit as the common editor, but unfortunately it' s not in the personal edition. You can' t simply install it afterwards because it fails on too much dependencies. But I know which files I need to install in which particular order, then after that, you can install gedit.I will scan in the whole shebang now and be back in a minute or 5.

ok, here we are.HOW TO GET GEDIT INSTALLED IN SUSE LINUX 9.1 PERSONALFirst of all, you'll need to install this array of compilers in the given order :1] m4-1.40-622.i586.rpm2] autoconf-2.59-75.i586.rpm3] automake-1.8.3-23.i586.rpm4] glibc-2-3.3-98.i586.rpm5] glibc-devel-2.3.3-98.i586.rpm6] gcc-3.3.3-41.i586.rpm7] eel-2.4.2-68.i586.rpm8] libgnomeprint-2.5.3-39.1586.rpm9] libgnomeprintui-2.5.3-42.i586.rpm10] gtksourceview-0.7.0-129.i586.rpm... and at least the executable itself, gEdit-2.4.1-49.i586.rpm.During steps 8 - 9 it may be possible SuSE asks for the cd.NOTE: from now on it should also be possible to compile other packages too, but there still could be messages about missing libraries / components.The above is needed to install and use gedit.I have found a way to use Vi to do all the things from the above posts, but I do not have a chance now to test it out.But here's the way to do it :To open the file to be edited in Vi, used /etc/lilo.conf as example :

# vi /etc/lilo.conf

Now I don't know the command at the moment yet to insert a file in Vi, but it might as well be just hitting the insert key...Maybe someone can help out here ?OK found it here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...indpost&p=38349Maybe that will work.Regarding the gedit hack : I've used it in my previous install of 9.1 Personal and it worked ok, but haven't got the time to install it now in my new install. So I posted the required steps above if you do want to try it yourself. It would be no problem to do so,maybe the last mentioned file (gtksourceview in the mentioned !! version) might be difficult to find, when my brains are not alzheimering at the moment I remember I picked it from a gnome repository anywhere.But googling might give you a clue.So, I'm off for the rest of the day now : family affairs. :) When I'm going to sit one lousy another minute in front of this pc someone's gonna hurt me badly.... (don't let me laugh) and I'm not very fond of that.:DBTW : saw the times these posts were posted? Good timing ah...?

Edited by striker

Maybe there' s another way to do it by using gedit as the common editor, but unfortunately it' s not in the personal edition. You can' t simply install it afterwards because it fails on too much dependencies. But I know which files I need to install in which particular order, then after that, you can install gedit.I will scan in the whole shebang now and be back in a minute or 5.
Hi Striker,You guys have been playing Linux for a long time, and you're GOOD at it, but sometimes (and I'm guilty myself) one overlooks the obvious.. :blink: You and Bruno may have to 'fine-tune' what I've come up with. But to get WIN, Mandrake and SuSE running on George's computer (and running FULLY in the most simplest way). I don't know... But I tried something, and it works (So Far), And it can be done with cut-and-paste (or Edit).Rather than make a fool of myself, I'd like to test it a little further before I post it. And at the moment I'm booting all of this up from floppy... The acid-test will be when I transfer the lilo to HD. :)

striker i do the hda5 dir installed from yesterday and for some reason Kate will not work for me as either user or root see below i also tried it with the k capitalized as you can see .however vi is installed but i have to refresh my self on how to use it (since i have been using kwrite in drake )so i will go take a refresher in vi . i will post back later and let you all know how i make out with it georgeg4@linux:~> suPassword:linux:/home/georgeg4 # mkdir /mnt/hda5mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/hda5': File existslinux:/home/georgeg4 # rm -rf /boot/Mandrakelinux:/home/georgeg4 # mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5linux:/home/georgeg4 # cp -r /mnt/hda5/boot /boot/Mandrakelinux:/home/georgeg4 # cp /etc/lilo.conf /home/georgeg4linux:/home/georgeg4 # kate /etc/lilo.confbash: kate: command not foundlinux:/home/georgeg4 # Kate /etc/lilo.confbash: Kate: command not foundlinux:/home/georgeg4 #

George,That was what I was telling above ...kate doesn't work,kwrite doesn't work either.Let's wait what Ozi comes up with, I really want to see that.In the meantime I managed to download and install the files needed for gedit :nr. 1-9 and gedit you can get overhere :ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.1/suse/i586/nr.10 you can find here :ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/suse/suse/i....0-129.i586.rpmHow to install gedit:Use the list in the above post to see what you need and where to get it.Then when you have all those files, install them one after one in the given order 1-10 and gedit itself by right clicking on them and choose "install with Yast" : each time your root password will be asked.After the last file got installed (gedit itself), you may find gedit here: utilities > editor > texteditorStart it up and choose "Edit" > Preferences, and adjust gedit to your likings. Happy geditting !When I have some time tonight I'll try to see what it is doing when used as user with su, but in the meantime as I said let's wait for Ozi's reply. edited by StrikerOK, I tested it : doesn' t work either. (gedit works like a charme,but that su thing as user doesn' t.)Duh ! :blink: :) But at least you' ve got a descent editor on the system now, if you did install it. :w00t:OziLet us have a look mate ....

ahaa striker and ozi kwrite and Kate are both available in suse . they work in command mode only run command = < kwrite /etc/lilo.conf > but twhen you open iyt it is blank you have to either write from scratch or as i just did copy and paste your old conf and then modify itedited 13:01problem it is possible to open kwrite as i stated above but it is a nogo on saving it i dont have permissions to do so as user .

What do you think Bruno, imho it should have been better to use Mandrake as the default distro and adapt its lilo to start up SuSE.
I do highly prefer Drakes Lilo over SUSEs one !! Even if you would not use Mandrake at all, I would install it just for the Partition-Tool and the Lilo ;)On the SUSE 91 Personal and kedit, kwrite . . I found some weird things there too ( trying to help Dale, he is not really accustomed to Vi ) . . . . Vi works like clockwork though !( I think it is only the one-disk download edition that has thsi quirck )B) Bruno

On the SUSE 91 Personal and kedit, kwrite . . I found some weird things there too ( trying to help Dale, he is not really accustomed to Vi ) . . . . Vi works like clockwork though !( I think it is only the one-disk download edition that has thsi quirck )
Yes, I can confirm this. I came from the Pro install and switched to the Personal one for the forums.Maybe I can research those quirks down, we'll see. (the Pro version runs ok,the Personal though... it's so much stripped down, it may be the right one for just having a look at,but if you're really serious, then it's not for you.That's my personal opinion,ymmv.)

ok heres where i am . i got drake on the boot menu and it does boot up . it comes up with a lot of failures and wont open kppp for some reason so i am going to delete suse's bootloader and "upgrade" drake to fix it and load drakes lilo.conf .because i do want drake as my default . i was just being a stubborn dutchman here and wouldnt let a program ( suse in this case ) beat me so i now have drake and windows in suse's bootloader . note it doesnt have the initrd-2.6.3-7mdk-img line in it that isnt because i left it out it is just because for some reason suse wont include it . i tried several times to add it and it just wont go in thereread-onlypromptboot = /dev/hdaimage = /boot/vmlinuz ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux### label = Linux initrd = /boot/initrd root = /dev/hda8 append = "resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent desktop" vga = 0x317image = /boot/Mandrake ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: Mandrake### label = Mandrake root = /dev/hda5 append = "resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent desktop"image = /boot/windows ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: Windows### label = Windows root = /dev/hdaimage = /boot/vmlinuz ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe### label = Failsafe initrd = /boot/initrd root = /dev/hda8also note the line ###Don't change this comment etc. ###yast puts that line in there by itselfp.s. i see you are here striker i will wait for your reply