Baffling Wifi Problem

raymac46

@SNF folks, yesterday when he tried the cli manual connection Kiakeu did manage to get the wpa_supplicant command to take his passkey and authenticate but then when he tried dhcpcd to get an IP from the router he got a timeout. Don't know why this is.

I saw his dmesg when he does get connected with Fedora and it looks exactly the same as mine would if I connect with Manjaro.

@kiakeu you could try this in Manjaro:

sudo -i

When you are root:

modprobe -r ath9k

modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt

Exit root and terminal. Then try to connect as before.

@SNF folks, yesterday when he tried the cli manual connection Kiakeu did manage to get the wpa_supplicant command to take his passkey and authenticate but then when he tried dhcpcd to get an IP from the router he got a timeout. Don't know why this is.

I saw his dmesg when he does get connected with Fedora and it looks exactly the same as mine would if I connect with Manjaro.

The only thing I can think of that would account for these symptoms is a poor signal. Why would it then work in Fedora? Not saying this is the case, but it is possible the other distros are set at less than 100% power to save battery drain.

sudo -i

When you are root:

modprobe -r ath9k

modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt

Assuming you meant nohwcrypt=1 because just "nohwcrypt" threw an error, Still the same issue. stuck at "setting network address"

Edited by kiakeu

I get full bars "4" usually around 90% Signal Strength. Also I tried to use my phone as a hot-spot and got the same issue.

The only thing I can suggest from here is that you dl and burn a Mint 17.3 LiveCD. If that doesn't work, buy a USB wifi dongle.

sudo -i

When you are root:

modprobe -r ath9k

modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt

Assuming you meant nohwcrypt=1 because just "nohwcrypt" threw an error, Still the same issue. stuck at "setting network address"

Does your phone's wifi have any problems connecting to your router?

I get full bars "4" usually around 90% Signal Strength. Also I tried to use my phone as a hot-spot and got the same issue.

The only thing I can suggest from here is that you dl and burn a Mint 17.3 LiveCD. If that doesn't work, buy a USB wifi dongle.

sudo -i

When you are root:

modprobe -r ath9k

modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt

While this may be a solution It still would be strange as to why fedora works. I'll test mint again. I already have a USB wifi dongle but it isn't atheros and provides slow speeds.

No problems at all.

Edited by kiakeu

sudo -i

When you are root:

modprobe -r ath9k

modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt

While this may be a solution It still would be strange as to why fedora works. I'll test mint again. I already have a USB wifi dongle but it isn't atheros and provides slow speeds.

If it works at all, it is a good indication that there is a problem with the wifi card. USB dongles that support high speed wifi are not very expensive. I absolutely hate telling people the solution to their problem is to spend more money. But in this case, I don't see any alternative.

Yes sorry I saw two ways to do this and one didn't have the =1 but obviously was wrong.

Do you have access to another router of any type? I would try running your gateway in modem mode, letting the router do DHCP. I just had a look at Virgin media's support pages - they don't look too Linux aware. Every O/S but Linux listed in how to connect.

Another idea from the arch setup.

In Manjaro (as user)

yaourt backports-patched

Just tried Mint with no luck, said I had 99% strength and failed to connect. I do have another router it's very old, Unfortunately I'm unable to test it currently as there is other people on the network.

Also I don't think Manjaro has yaourt by default?

Edited by kiakeu

Yes sorry I saw two ways to do this and one didn't have the =1 but obviously was wrong.

Do you have access to another router of any type? I would try running your gateway in modem mode, letting the router do DHCP. I just had a look at Virgin media's support pages - they don't look too Linux aware. Every O/S but Linux listed in how to connect.

Another idea from the arch setup.

In Manjaro (as user)

yaourt backports-patched

How about ignoring dhcp and setting a static address?

No I think yaourt is there.

My syntax was wrong anyway should be yaourt -S backports-patched

Of course won't work because you have no access to the Internet. Duh.

Edited by raymac46

How about ignoring dhcp and setting a static address?

When trying both wpa_supplicant and wpa_cli both dhcp and static were tried, When I try my other router i'll try DHCP and Static (I can't do this till later tonight).

*Edit @raymac46 i'll try that just need to reformat my usb again.

*Edit 2, I guess I also can't use backports as i'm just in a Live Media e.g. I get

warning: database file for 'core' does not exist
error: target not found: linux-headers>=4.4
Restart building backports-patched ? [y/N]

(I was able to use my USB wireless card)

Edited by kiakeu

Hedon James

Y'all are a little over my head with this connection protocol stuff...but that's because I've never had to roll up my sleeves in this manner to get a wifi connection. I don't envy you.

But 2 quick comments:

1) use an ethernet cable for internet to access package downloads you need to get wifi working. and it's good practice to do the same during an actual install; you'll prevent quite a few wifi issues where you need a wifi package to make your wifi work, but you can't get it because you don't have wifi! Use the ethernet until the very end...updating & upgrading the new installation...until you verify wifi is good. THEN pull the ethernet cable.

2) I'm vaguely remembering a connection issue I experienced several years back with an old soldier netbook. To make a long story short, the connection protocol on the router was newer than the wifi card supported. Perhaps wpa vs wpa2 or something similar...can't remember for certain. What I DO remember was that the netbook SEEMED to connect and could sometimes "see" other machines on the LAN, but had no internet. I pulled my hair out for 2 days before I learned about WICD and gave it a try out of desparation....didn't see any reason why it would yield a different result, but wanted to be thorough. 99 ways didn't work, was going for the perfect 100. But for some reason, WICD allowed that netbook to connect and have internet access. To this day I don't know why...it worked and I no longer cared after that. LOL!

But I wonder if your network manager is the software problem. Seems like we ruled out your card/hardware; the ath9k driver is in the kernel; the module is loaded; the OS sees the card; the router is working with "other" devices and with Fedora; perhaps the connection manager is not negotiating the router protocols as it should? A bug in the network manager?

What is the network connector software on the Fedora distro that works for you? Is it WICD? Can you try WICD and/or the Fedora network manager and see if it negotiates the connection protocols?

@HJ Fedora does indeed use Network Manager.

A Recap:

We are dealing with one wifi card that doesn't work, one USB card that does - at least as far as Manjaro is concerned.

The cranky wifi card works with Fedora though.

The router is a gateway supplied by Virgin Media UK. http://www.ispreview...arget-voip.html

Attempts to connect manually have failed. Again this is with Manjaro.

Mageia and Debian distros don't work either.

The card has in theory one f the best supported and Linux friendly chipsets.

No idea if our friend can connect via wire.

So far all work is taking place with an ISO.

Now do you see how crazy this all is? I have worked with wifi for close to 10 years and I've never seen one like this.

Edited by raymac46

Just to show you what you should (normally) expect here is the output from Linux Mint 17 wifi card Atheros AR9287

ray@ray-desktop1-basement ~ $ dmesg | grep wl
[ 10.591584] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
[ 11.436157] wlan0: authenticate with c8:d3:a3:24:1b:c0
[ 11.452699] wlan0: send auth to c8:d3:a3:24:1b:c0 (try 1/3)
[ 11.464238] wlan0: authenticated
[ 11.464652] wlan0: associate with c8:d3:a3:24:1b:c0 (try 1/3)
[ 11.632773] wlan0: RX AssocResp from c8:d3:a3:24:1b:c0 (capab=0xc11 status=0 aid=2)
[ 11.632885] wlan0: associated
[ 11.632926] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready

And here's Ubuntu 16.04 off a USB stick. I had to put in the password this time.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ dmesg | grep wl
[ 60.580674] ath9k 0000:04:00.0 wlp4s0: renamed from wlan0
[ 62.356684] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlp4s0: link is not ready
[ 62.373683] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlp4s0: link is not ready
[ 62.786910] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlp4s0: link is not ready
[ 123.463032] wlp4s0: authenticate with c8:d3:a3:24:1b:c0
[ 123.487174] wlp4s0: send auth to c8:d3:a3:24:1b:c0 (try 1/3)
[ 123.488891] wlp4s0: authenticated
[ 123.490339] wlp4s0: associate with c8:d3:a3:24:1b:c0 (try 1/3)
[ 123.506555] wlp4s0: RX AssocResp from c8:d3:a3:24:1b:c0 (capab=0xc11 status=0 aid=2)
[ 123.506671] wlp4s0: associated
[ 123.506689] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlp4s0: link becomes ready

Hey Guys,

I had some issues connecting with the forum so i left it for abit.

Yes Fedora is using Network manager 1.0.12 while Manjaro uses 1.2.2

Just to be clear I've actually had this issue for a few years. Since Ubuntu 12.04 if I remember correctly. I just never wanted to use Linux as my main OS then.

I could possibly connect via Ethernet but this is not a possible Long-term solution. And If I do, what are my first steps to take?

Edited by kiakeu

securitybreach

When trying

wifi-menu

I get command not found.

Try these:

sudo systemctl stop networkmanager && sudo systemctl start netctl && sudo wifi-menu -o

Just one more here -Manjaro AR 9285 on an old netbook.

[ray@ray-toshiba ~]$ dmesg | grep wl
[ 4.951495] ath9k 0000:07:00.0 wlp7s0: renamed from wlan0
[ 7.385062] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlp7s0: link is not ready
[ 7.443790] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlp7s0: link is not ready
[ 8.149720] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlp7s0: link is not ready
[ 9.500912] wlp7s0: authenticate with c8:d3:a3:24:1b:c0
[ 9.515638] wlp7s0: send auth to c8:d3:a3:24:1b:c0 (try 1/3)
[ 9.521323] wlp7s0: authenticated
[ 9.523468] wlp7s0: associate with c8:d3:a3:24:1b:c0 (try 1/3)
[ 9.541422] wlp7s0: RX AssocResp from c8:d3:a3:24:1b:c0 (capab=0xc11 status=0 aid=2)
[ 9.541600] wlp7s0: associated
[ 9.541760] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlp7s0: link becomes ready

[ray@ray-toshiba ~]$ nmcli -p g
=============================================================
NetworkManager status
=============================================================
STATE CONNECTIVITY WIFI-HW WIFI WWAN-HW WWAN
-------------------------------------------------------------
connected full enabled enabled enabled enabled
[ray@ray-toshiba ~]$

securitybreach

I can almost guarantee you that your issue is how you are connecting to the ssid, in this case networkmanager...

When trying

wifi-menu

I get command not found.

Try these:

sudo systemctl stop networkmanager && sudo systemctl start netctl && sudo wifi-menu -o

Failed to stop networkmanager.service: Unit networkmanager.service not loaded.

Would it be better to install this live CD to my secondary HDD?

Edited by kiakeu

One big difference I see right away is that network manager in Fedora is pretty old compared to Manjaro. I don't know if it's possible to downgrade to an older version or not.

One thing I'd do if I had a wired connection is actually install your distro of choice. Then if it's Manjaro update to the latest kernel. You can always install an older kernel if you need to using the Settings Manager.

securitybreach

Change it to NetworkManager

So it would be:

systemctl stop NetworkManager && sudo wifi-menu -o

I'll go ahead and install Manjaro to my Seconday HDD.

Why would you bother doing that as that is not a solution?

Change it to NetworkManager

So it would be:

systemctl stop NetworkManager && sudo wifi-menu -o

I'll go ahead and install Manjaro to my Seconday HDD.

Why would you bother doing that as that is not a solution?

Ok so it stopped Network Manager,

From your command:

sudo: wifi-menu: command not found

With the netctl section:

Failed to start netctl.service: Unit netctl.service not found.

I don't know if Live CD limits me in anyway compared to installed on Disk and as some have suggested install and install all updates etc. I'm open to trying all options that I can perform. Anything that could possibly arise with a solution is worth a try for me.

Edited by kiakeu

Hedon James

Hey Guys,

I had some issues connecting with the forum so i left it for abit.

Yes Fedora is using Network manager 1.0.12 while Manjaro uses 1.2.2

Just to be clear I've actually had this issue for a few years. Since Ubuntu 12.04 if I remember correctly. I just never wanted to use Linux as my main OS then.

I could possibly connect via Ethernet but this is not a possible Long-term solution. And If I do, what are my first steps to take?

Of course not! Apologies if I gave that impression. Simply suggesting that could be done IF packages need to be downloaded & installed, and I would ABSOLUTELY recommend that be done at the time of initial installation of the distro of your choice. But we are not there yet!

Patience Kiakeu, SecurityBreach is on it, and he is a bit of a "bug whisperer" who has a knack for solving the tough ones. Sounds like SB concurs that it is a "network manager" issue. I don't want to get in his way, but did you try to download and install WICD network manager, and see if that connects for you? That would perhaps confirm that network manager is the issue, only leaving us to speculate why the newer Manjaro version has "regressed" in function. I smell a victory coming your way KK!

Of course not! Apologies if I gave that impression. Simply suggesting that could be done IF packages need to be downloaded & installed, and I would ABSOLUTELY recommend that be done at the time of initial installation of the distro of your choice. But we are not there yet!

Patience Kiakeu, SecurityBreach is on it, and he is a bit of a "bug whisperer" who has a knack for solving the tough ones. Sounds like SB concurs that it is a "network manager" issue. I don't want to get in his way, but did you try to download and install WICD network manager, and see if that connects for you? That would perhaps confirm that network manager is the issue, only leaving us to speculate why the newer Manjaro version has "regressed" in function. I smell a victory coming your way KK!

Yeah sorry thats my fault I did read

"Use the ethernet until the very end...updating & upgrading the new installation...until you verify wifi is good." which didn't give me that impression I just never changed my post, my apologies.

I never tried WICD I'll do that tomorrow as it's unfortunately about time to sleep for me.

If it matters I have tried the default arch with wifi-menu and that has also failed to connect.

Once again, I very much appreciate all and any support you guys are giving.

Kind Regards,

Edited by kiakeu

Sorry if I gave the impression that the next step was an install. I agree that if anybody can get to the bottom of this Josh can. As long as we have ideas that work from the ISO that's what we should continue to try.