Baffling Wifi Problem

raymac46

securitybreach
But of course I don't just want to "leech" so hopefully I'll find somewhere I can add my input ;)

We're happy to help in any way we can, following in Bruno's footsteps where a positive result is the best reward without obligation. It's fairly low traffic here so we welcome fresh faces and challenges rather than just muttering amongst ourselves.

I post on Debian User Forums a bit and it's not unknown to be abused for offering helpful advice. Here is a safe haven. :)

:thumbsup:

I suggest you try MX-15 as it is the first distro I ever used where all my hardware worked immediately on installation.

Duh. Never thought of MX-15 but it is an excellent choice based on Debian Jessie and with most of the codecs and hardware compatibility you would want.

Well, good news so far. The new wireless device works. Now to just get on with installing the OS. I'll let post here if there's any problems. ;)

• Like 2

Hey guys, so I got arch setup with a DE. Only problems are my 2.0 ports don't work. My mouse freezes on occasion. My mechanical keyboard refuses to work (or works for about 2 seconds) and my membrane keyboard is very horrible to type on (keys get stuck, sometimes missed. only started when using arch.)

There was a suggestion for enabling xHCI, EHCI and IOMMU in my bios which I did but no luck.

Edited by kiakeu

securitybreach

Hey guys, so I got arch setup with a DE. Only problems are my 2.0 ports don't work. My mouse freezes on occasion. My mechanical keyboard refuses to work (or works for about 2 seconds) and my membrane keyboard is very horrible to type on (keys get stuck, sometimes missed. only stared when usin arch.)

There was a suggestion for enabling xHCI, EHCI and IOMMU in my bios which I did but no luck.

Anything interesting in the logs, or in the output of dmesg ?

Guest LilBambi

Might I suggest reinstalling the Fedora ISO again to see if it still works in that distro.

It would be frustrating if murphy's law hit and the wifi card has actually failed...

Especially if Live distros also fail since if there is any hope of a card being supported it will work in most Live distros.

securitybreach

Might I suggest reinstalling the Fedora ISO again to see if it still works in that distro.

It would be frustrating if murphy's law hit and the wifi card has actually failed...

Especially if Live distros also fail since if there is any hope of a card being supported it will work in most Live distros.

He already received his new card and it works fine. From 0441 this morning:

Well, good news so far. The new wireless device works. Now to just get on with installing the OS. I'll let post here if there's any problems. ;)

securitybreach

excellent!

That is what happens when you do not read the entire thread before posting LOL

Well there are new issues..

[quote name='securitybreach' timestamp='1465047009' post='437953']
[quote name='kiakeu' timestamp='1465039219' post='437947']
Hey guys, so I got arch setup with a DE. Only problems are my 2.0 ports don't work. My mouse freezes on occasion. My mechanical keyboard refuses to work (or works for about 2 seconds) and my membrane keyboard is very horrible to type on (keys get stuck, sometimes missed. only started when using arch.)

[/quote]

[color=#333333][font=sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 253, 254)]Anything interesting in the logs, or in the output of [/background][/font][/color][i]dmesg[/i][color=#333333][font=sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 253, 254)] ?[/background][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Sorry since reverted back to windows, for now, I'll try the mx-15 later or tomorrow. I possibly didn't install the xf86-input-mouse.

Once I do i'll post any logs I get here. Thanks for the help.

*didn't manage to get round to it, I will at some point. Thanks again for any participation of help so far. Edited by kiakeu

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, sorry I left no information.

Just wanted to post back as I found out how to fix the issue.

With my motherboard, gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P you have to add iommu=soft to grub or boot options and it resolves all the issues with USB 3.0 and Network Cards.

Was listed on arch wiki

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_configuration#Gigabyte_Motherboard_with_Realtek_8111.2F8168.2F8411

Thanks previously for you guys trying to help, maybe this will help someone in the future.

• Like 1