Baffling Wifi Problem

raymac46

securitybreach

Oh I didn't know that it was timing out. Try setting your channel to auto or one that is not channel 6 (the default channel which can cause collisions in busy traffic areas) https://wiki.archlin..._get_IP_address That might explain why it works with some distros but not others (some set it to auto by default).

Well no, I always use channel 10 or so on my routers. I'm home now so lets see if I can figure out something.

Are all those outputs from NetworkManager or do you know which one they each use?

Oh I didn't know that it was timing out. Try setting your channel to auto or one that is not channel 6 (the default channel which can cause collisions in busy traffic areas) https://wiki.archlin..._get_IP_address That might explain why it works with some distros but not others (some set it to auto by default).

Well no, I always use channel 10 or so on my routers. I'm home now so lets see if I can figure out something.

Are all those outputs from NetworkManager or do you know which one they each use?

I'll give it a try, keep in mind there's basically no competition in my area.

securitybreach

Try this on any distro (preferably one that is installed):

sudo modprobe -rfv ath9k
sudo modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt=1

(sudo or as root)

securitybreach

Also, I just ran across this wonder script on the ubuntu forums:

If you still have the issue, please download and run the wireless info script, which will gather information to help diagnose your system. You can run it using these commands:

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 https://github.com/UbuntuForums/wireless-info/raw/master/wireless-info && \
chmod +x wireless-info && \
./wireless-info

This will create the file "wireless-info.txt" at the location it is run from, and depending on its size, an additional archive called "wireless-info.tar.gz", for attaching on the forums. Sensitive information like MAC addresses and WPA/WEP keys are masked automatically.

give me a few minutes I need to reformat my usb. I can install one if you would prefer that.

For the script I could possibly use my secondary usb dongle to download and run.

Edited by kiakeu

Maybe you can use for reference later, heres my fedora one:

http://pastebin.com/LuKzLf1j

And yes I think all outputs are from NM: fedora 23 uses 1.0.12 and 24 uses 1.2.2, OpenSUSE used 1.0.12 as for the others i'm unsure

Edited by kiakeu

securitybreach

Why do you have a bridge network interface connected? That would be a good reason why your wifi cannot connect. From your pastepin:

##### ifconfig ##########################

enp4s0: flags=4099 mtu 1500

ether txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)

RX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)

RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0

TX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)

TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

lo: flags=73 mtu 65536

inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0

inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 scopeid 0x10

loop txqueuelen 1 (Local Loopback)

RX packets 34 bytes 2812 (2.7 KiB)

TX packets 34 bytes 2812 (2.7 KiB)

virbr0: flags=4099 mtu 1500

inet 192.168.124.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.124.255

virbr0-nic: flags=4098 mtu 1500

wlp3s0: flags=4163 mtu 1500

inet 192.168.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255

inet6 fe80::e80f:96b4:6382:1820 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20

RX packets 5267 bytes 4395886 (4.1 MiB)

TX packets 4759 bytes 692997 (676.7 KiB)

I do not know why it did the emoticons in the paste.

The virbr0, or "Virtual Bridge 0" interface is used for NAT (Network Address Translation). It is provided by the libvirt library, and virtual environments (like Gnome Boxes or Virtualbox) sometimes use it to connect to the outside network (depending what network adapter you choose for the guest environment).

securitybreach

Also, your nameservers are outside of your network???

##### resolv.conf #######################

nameserver 194.168.4.100

nameserver 194.168.8.100

While your network is 192.168.x.x... This is probably due to the virtual devices. Are you running this in a virtual environment?

Here is the output from the script in Manjaro:

http://pastebin.com/wkFvsfR0

Ok, that looks a bit more normal than the other one..

securitybreach

Normally I have always pointed to my router for nameservers:

cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by resolvconf
nameserver 192.168.1.1

Yeah i'm unsure, however I have tried connecting directly to my router page. 192.168.0.1 each time i've tried to connect to my network or even pinging locally all which also failed i'm sure this wouldn't be dns related.

Edited by kiakeu

securitybreach

Did you do this as suggested?

sudo modprobe -rfv ath9k

sudo modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt=1

And then tried to connect?

So you cannot connect to your after connecting to the network?

Yeah I did say I have tried.

Tried the channel auto and modprobes, no luck.

well I wouldn't call it after "connecting". Just sometimes it shows as "connected" but isn't really.

For example, it will disconnect again after just 30seconds of saying "connected" I assume this is just where it in the background tries to authenticate again.

Edited by kiakeu

Well I've sort of given-up on trying to make Linux my Main OS for now. Why my well-supported hardware is unable to work is beyond me and seems 108 posts later we still have no luck :ermm: So I'll be back on windows for the time-being.

If there is any-more potential solutions you want to try I will be more than happy to try them.

Thanks for any and all help so far.

Kind Regards,

securitybreach

Why would you let a simple thing like wifi stop you from using Linux? I could send you a wifi dongle or you could get one for less than 10 bucks off of Amazon.

Why would you let a simple thing like wifi stop you from using Linux? I could send you a wifi dongle or you could get one for less than 10 bucks off of Amazon.

I could, but if I potentially buy another Atheros card that doesn't work. I'm then back where I started.

I'll probably hold off until AMD & Vulkan have better support anyway. (+ I don't really have a lot of flexibility with my money at the moment)

Things are looking quite positive for Linux currently In terms of Vulkan, AMD open source and various other things such as Wayland. So hopefully soon.TM Linux will be widely adopted in the Desktop market.

Edited by kiakeu

securitybreach

Well I have 2 laptops with Anteros cards in them and three Atheros wifi dongles that work beautifully..

Well I have 2 laptops with Anteros cards in them and three Atheros wifi dongles that work beautifully..

I don't doubt that for one second, Maybe my issue is hardware related but just not where we think. Possibly Motherboard And of course my USB 2.0 slots don't work in Linux (Live CD's at least) .

Edited by kiakeu

So i'll probably buy the TL-WN722N at some point as suggested by raymac46. Once I do I guess i'll post here if there's any issue ;).

When I do i'll probably just go with Arch but I may need some help with enabling x and getting a Desktop Environment up and running. (because everytime I tried I could never get x started)

*Edit, Already done, it'll be here Saturday.

I'll see you then for Baffling Wifi Problem 2.0 :teehee:

Edited by kiakeu
  • Like 2

I really hope this works out for you, kiakeu. This is one of the most difficult problems I've ever seen with wifi and I've got close to 10 years experience in Linux.

I hope you'll continue to participate here in any event. This Linux forum is the legacy of one of the greatest people we have ever known (Bruno) and is predicated on respect and helpfulness. No egos, just kind hearts. There are also excellent forums on Windows, Macs, hardware and security. Our host is the Editor in Chief of Computerworld.

if the TL-WN722N does not work for you then it must be a basic problem with the router or as you say maybe another hardware issue. I don't know if you could try temporarily changing your router to support 802.11G and see if that helps. If it does I'd advise getting your own N router and using your ISP gateway as a modem only.

If you want to set up Arch there is no better guy than Josh to troubleshoot for you. There are also experts here in most Debian distros, SuSe and Slackware to name a few.

• Like 2

I'm a long time user of Debian based distros, mainly siduction and its predecessors and currently MX-15. Followed this thread but haven't thought of anything to add and I'm totally stumped why it doesn't work for you. For instance, the nohwcrypt option was used some time ago due to a bug in the kernel but it was fixed at least a year ago.

As mentioned, Atheros cards are one of the most reliable and easy to set up. I currently use an Atheros based USB dongle (TP-Link WN-822N) which worked as soon as I entered the SSID and password.

I suggest you try MX-15 as it is the first distro I ever used where all my hardware worked immediately on installation. You can try it as a live CD or from USB key.

• Like 1

I'm a long time user of Debian based distros, mainly siduction and its predecessors and currently MX-15. Followed this thread but haven't thought of anything to add and I'm totally stumped why it doesn't work for you. For instance, the nohwcrypt option was used some time ago due to a bug in the kernel but it was fixed at least a year ago.

As mentioned, Atheros cards are one of the most reliable and easy to set up. I currently use an Atheros based USB dongle (TP-Link WN-822N) which worked as soon as I entered the SSID and password.

I suggest you try MX-15 as it is the first distro I ever used where all my hardware worked immediately on installation. You can try it as a live CD or from USB key.

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll give it a try.

I don't plan to go anywhere and this forum was a lot more helpful than Manjaro.

But of course I don't just want to "leech" so hopefully I'll find somewhere I can add my input ;)

Edited by kiakeu
  • Like 2

But of course I don't just want to "leech" so hopefully I'll find somewhere I can add my input ;)

We're happy to help in any way we can, following in Bruno's footsteps where a positive result is the best reward without obligation. It's fairly low traffic here so we welcome fresh faces and challenges rather than just muttering amongst ourselves.

I post on Debian User Forums a bit and it's not unknown to be abused for offering helpful advice. Here is a safe haven. :)

• Like 2