Linux Mint 17.3 Mate Banshee no sound

Eagle

securitybreach

I would troubleshoot some more before blowing it up.

What would you have me do?

raymac46

There are later versions of Banshee you could try. You need to add a PPA though. If the reinstall doesn't fix it you could install a later version - what have you got to lose?. I am not going to try myself as I don't want to break my own system.

The only thing i have to lose is time and right now this is the last free day i have. Tomorrow i fire up my company and start spring leaf cleanups. With the temps hitting near 70 later this week it looks like il be mowing all next week. So time is critical;-(.

Eagle

Again, the FIRST thing I'd have you do is check the HDD using fsck. You probably have to use a LiveCD to do this 'cause the partition you are checking has to unmounted and you can't unmount the system partition.

securitybreach

Hi lewmur,

I have the live dvd so im guessing i use term to do this with the command of fsck?

You have two options... use gparted to check the disk or run the fsck command. Both do the same but one is graphical and the other is a command ran in a terminal:

http://gparted.org/d...Check-partition

If you run the command, you need to know which disk you need to check and also which partition. If you have only one disk and one partition, then it should be sda1:

fsck /dev/sda1

raymac46

Yes i did but same problem.

securitybreach

i ran gparted and it says "no bad blocks". Live dvd.

tried using term and it said i had to have r/w rights. live dvd.

Eagle

Great news;-).

All songs that are grayed out dont work but those that arent grayed out do work.

So i imported a few that were grayed out with the gray X and now those play and look normal. i can skip all over the ones in Music and then play one in Play Queue:-). i couldnt do that this morning.

So whatever happened is now corrected......computer gods at work;-)

Thanks to all that have helped!

Eagle

• Like 1

I still think there is a problem somewhere in the database that Banshee uses. You could try this (taken from the Banshee FAQ)

I'm seeing errors saying that my database disk image is malformed. What should I do?

You have two options: try to recover your database or start anew.

To recover, quit Banshee and run these commands:

$ cd ~/.config/banshee-1

$ sqlite3 banshee.db ".dump" > dump

$ mv banshee.db banshee.db.backup

$ cat dump | sqlite3 banshee.db

Then start Banshee. If recovering didn't work, you can delete (or better backup) the database file and re-import your media. You might lose your ratings and playcounts.

computer gods at work;-)

Along with SNF Linux Gurus!

As Eagle said earlier, you guys rock! :rose: Thank you from me also for helping my friend.

• Like 1

Oops sorry you have to

sudo apt-get install sqlite3

Don't forget a space between banshee.db and ".dump" in the sqlite3 command. At the end of it all you should have a restored banshee.db and the original banshee.db as a backup file.

Edited by raymac46

If you are still having problems you now have your original banshee.db backed up so you can :

rm -rf ~/.config/banshee-1/banshee.db

and then start Banshee up again and re-import all your music files.

raymac46,

Still all came back with; $: command not found

I did a copy/paste into Pluma text editor the commands then copy/paste each into term.

I did install sqlite3 before running the commands the last time.

Eagle

You can't even cd? That is very odd. I tried it in my VirtualBox Ubuntu install and they all ran well. mv is also a very common command to rename a file. Aha! You don't want to include the $ in your command.

Edited by raymac46

securitybreach

You leave off the $ sign. For instance, here are the commands:

cd ~/.config/banshee-1

sqlite3 banshee.db ".dump" > dump

mv banshee.db banshee.db.backup

cat dump | sqlite3 banshee.db

• Like 1

What the commands mean:

• change to the directory where you want to work on the banshee.db file
  • use sq3lite to dump the banshee.db out to a dump file
  • rename the banshee.db file to a backup name
  • write the dump file back and make it the "recovered" banshee.db file

• Like 1

securitybreach

What the commands mean:

• change to the directory where you want to work on the banshee.db file
  • use sq3lite to dump the banshee.db out to a dump file
  • rename the banshee.db file to a backup name
  • write the dump file back and make it the "recovered" banshee.db file

Nice explanation :thumbsup:

raymac46

Ran all 4 commands and fired up banshee. Something worked because Play Quere and Music is blank and i do have the music folder backed up.

I guess i can load the music into the home folder and start over?

Eagle

If a database recovery or deleting the Banshee database and starting over fails, I am out of ideas. At this point I would happily play my music with Rhythmbox - a player I used for many years with a variety of Debian based distros.

At this point I would import media from whatever folder you have your music located in. All you are doing is repopulating the database. The actual music files stay where they are. They were not deleted from your system They should all be (for example) in your /home/Eagle/Music folder if you check with Nemo (file explorer.)

• Like 1

raymac46,

I would too but Banshee is like an old chair you dont want to get rid of because it has all the hills and valleys your used to. However if this does fail i will use Clementine for abit then Rhythmbox. With all 3 installed ill play with each and see which fits best;-)

Ill be back later with the results after i eat and try a few songs with banshee.

When i was using Ubuntu i used Rhythmbox so pretty much used to it.

Eagle

• Like 2

To all who helped,

Banshee is working perfect!

All music loaded without a hitch into Music. I moved some to Play Queue and played them withot a hitch. I can jump back and forth while one song is playing in Music and start another song in Play Queue without a problem so im going to call it a great job to all;-)

Thank you all!

Eagle

• Like 4

securitybreach

To all who helped,

Banshee is working perfect!

All music loaded without a hitch into Music. I moved some to Play Queue and played them withot a hitch. I can jump back and forth while one song is playing in Music and start another song in Play Queue without a problem so im going to call it a great job to all;-)

Thank you all!

Eagle

Woot :thumbup:

Shared with permission from Eagle: I was telling Eagle about Bruno and he replied that it was a great honor the Linux forum was renamed for him and that you're honoring him well. Great help!

• Like 2