A few questions before I jump

teacher

Your glasses ??  And your lenses too Julia, make sure you see clear this time.:D Bruno
Both? I have not worn my "lenses" in over a month. Can't see through both at the same time. In fact, most of the time I see the computer better without anything. Of course, reading one screen while typing on another keyboard could necessitate glasses. At least my wine glass is not empty. :D

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• quint

• GolfProRM

Top Posters In This Topic

Concentrate Julia ! Just focus and concentrate . . Quint;I think she tried to install a kernel from floppy instead of the default one from CD ( you know at certain moment you can choose what kernel to install, the default one or one you made yourself on a floppy ): There was no kernel on that floppy so she got no kernel in the Slack. . . . without a kernel it´s hard to get the OS going :)She thought she was at the point where the Lilo had to be written to floppy . . . :D Bruno

Concentrate Julia !Quint;I think she tried to install a kernel from floppy instead of the default one from CD ( you know at certain moment you can choose what kernel to install, the default one or one you made yourself on a floppy ): There was no kernel on that floppy so she got no kernel in the Slack. . . . without a kernel it´s hard to get the OS going :)She thought she was at the point where the Lilo had to be written to floppy . . . :D Bruno
Ahh, yes. :D Recall that there are a few choices on the CD.

Amazing how he knows these things. Okay. I will try very hard to concentrate <setting Harry Potter book aside>. I can concentrate <setting wine glass aside> I will do this right. :D

Do you have a camera there where you are seeing what I am up to? Are you at it again. It is humming right along reinstalling (or I should say doing a clean install). It is down to the small packages because the screen flies by, at least I hope it is. Getting there. We will conquer this.Now should I let it load a lilo or do it from floppy? I know to tell it to find the kernel from CD but how should I let it boot? Is drake smart enough to allow Slack to interfere?

Aren´t we enjoying the show, Quint ?? :DB) Bruno
Wish it had gone perfectly for the lovely lady, but cannot tell you how much I am enjoying learning from Julia's hard work. :D It is exciting, like a kid on Christmas Eve. :lol:

No you want slack to boot from a floppy, we will integrate it to Mandrake Lilo later . . This ¨/cdrom/kernels/bare.i/bzImage¨ is the kernel you want on your HDB) Bruno

You know you are a hard-core Linux Geek fan when you enjoy watching someone else torture their way through an extra distro! What kind of friends do I have? My kind....... :lol:

QuintWhy do I feel like I should be saying "Aye, aye Captain" to Bruno? I was not in the navy. I answered to captain but somehow it just seems to fit.....

Julia quote:

Now should I let it load a lilo or do it from floppy? I know to tell it to find the kernel from CD but how should I let it boot? Is drake smart enough to allow Slack to interfere?
Do you have a Mandrake boot floppy? I'm sure you do, so you will still be able to get in there, if something goes awry. :lol:

QuintWhy do I feel like I should be saying "Aye, aye Captain" to Bruno?  I was not in the navy.  I answered to captain but somehow it just seems to fit.....
He does seem to have "The Rear Admiral Linux Penguin" aire about him, does he not? :lol:

I can always reinstall Quint. I am good at that one! Piece of cake. Oops, there he goes after the cake. Actually, that does not go well with wine. Maybe I should say piece of cheese - a little camembert or brie!

He does seem to have "The Rear Admiral Linux Penguin" aire about him, does he not? :lol:
He also seems to have a thing for stars. Did you notice?

Just a warning guys (and gal), I'm quite bored tonight, so I'm currently burning off an iso... It happens to start with an S and end with an E :lol:

Just a warning guys (and gal), I'm quite bored tonight, so I'm currently burning off an iso...  It happens to start with an S and end with an E :D
SuSE? :lol:

Just a warning guys (and gal), I'm quite bored tonight, so I'm currently burning off an iso...  It happens to start with an S and end with an E :lol:
That´s good work Ryan, got the Slack feever as well ??:D Bruno

Mouse crashed it all. Cannot open mouse. Failed input device "mouse1" No core pointer. Failed to initalize core devices. Fatal IO error 104 Connection reset by peer on x server"0:0" after 0 requests with 0 events remaining. I give up. What can I do now?

Remember Live Slack and your mouse ??Slack does not like your mouse !!!Connect the other mouse and re-install again, because the rest was OK this time !!:lol: Bruno

Sorry quint... Bruno's correct. :D  Installing now
Ryan, after install:INPORTANT:After install you boot up and get a prompt, type ¨root¨ and give your root password.Then ¨adduser¨ and add ryan as normal userThen Ctrl+D to log out as root and log in as ryanThen startxand KDE should start up !:lol: Bruno

Well quint, wouldn't be doing this had I not gotten a router so I could keep my g/f's computer up for troubleshooting questions... :D I'd have to install Mandrake or SuSE (one I've done before). :)It's nice to have the flexibility to try new. :) I think I'd like SuSE better now that I've got the router and would have easier net connection, but I had slack downloaded... :) Still have 6 gigs of free space for SuSE if I so choose. :lol:

Well quint, wouldn't be doing this had I not gotten a router so I could keep my g/f's computer up for troubleshooting questions... :)  I'd have to install Mandrake or SuSE (one I've done before). :)It's nice to have the flexibility to try new. :)  I think I'd like SuSE better now that I've got the router and would have easier net connection, but I had slack downloaded... :)  Still have 6 gigs of free space for SuSE if I so choose. :lol:
Ryan,Watching all of this take place, and I feel like installing something, also...but my cupboard is bare. :( Oh well, I am most happy for you and Julia, and permitting me to eavesdrop on the party, thanks. :Dadded: you chose the right one (Slack), although SuSE is very nice, imo. :D

We're quite happy to have you around... you are the resident "Slacker" here, so we can always use your advice. :lol: