dead computer (maybe)

longgone

EcP ........I am not that lucky ...  at best guess this entire uint is at the minimum 2 years old, possibily older ... but no more than 3 since the pwr  supply I took out has a quality check stamp on it that say  2002 ......
Some compnents have 1 yr warantees, some 2 and some 3. My ATI video card has at least 3yrs and maybe 5. It doesn't hurt to fill out the RMA forms on their websites.
EdP/inlinecomputers ........You is all right, just full of well wishes and good humor.
That's us alright. ;) nlinecomputers is the true wizard but I'm better lookin. :blink: :w00t:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• b2cm

• Ed_P

• nlinecomputers

It's most likely the motherboard.Use the processor and memory on the ASUS board. The 4x AGP card will most likely run on the 8X slot. I have an 8X (a Soltek Nforce2, surprise!) board that used to run a 4X Radeon card (using GF4 8x card now).My Soltek board (wanted an Epox but Soltek was the only one available) runs fine, but I had a terrible experience (swear I lost some hair and aggravated some ulcers) with a Soltek MVP3 many, many years ago. ASUS or MSI is definitely better.

EdP..... :blink: :w00t: That's us alright. biggrin.gif nlinecomputers is the true wizard but I'm better lookin. w00t.gif laugh.gifTHAT is truly a biased opinion ..... ;) :w00t: I would bet that the mainboard is forever gone I have checked the web site thoroughly and that particular model is not listed anywhere, not even in the discontinued section ( :P B) ) ... also correction on the board I have it is an ASRock K7S8X board .. not ASUS as I said earlier. The CPU has a 3 year wrnty since it was a boxed unit with heatsink/fan included.I guess I need something extra to do, I wil have to get that mainboard and start a new project. Lets see, I need to replace the DVD Rom in the B unit (for some reason I get errors reading data disks, in particular OS disks), put the new mainboard in the A unit, get Bruno to help me install a partioning tool in the B unit (so I can get more than 4 Primaries)(BTW he does not know it yet :huh: ), and then after all that, re-install XP on the B machine, and if all is good maybe throw another Linux OS on B machine.Darn... after all that time for a tall cold one

b2cm...Had a bad (real bad) experience with a SOYO K7 dragon board ... was puttin in a ram stick and it slipped. Well I did not see anything that was wrong so I finished the ram install and then put power to the board. Well when I slipped I accidently cracked one of the ceramic capacitors that was right next to the ram socket. When I applied the power, the capacitor exploded, sounded like a .22 had gone off. and then the smoke started. I stopped for the day after that ... figured once was enough. I bought the Soltec board the next day.

... the board I have it is an ASRock K7S8X board .. not ASUS as I said earlier.
If I'm not mistaken, ASUS makes ASRock boards and you can expect the same quality design and control that goes into each ASRock product.

:) :rolleyes: %@#$%^&*^%#Welllllll ............ if it was not for bad luck ... I would not have any luck at all .... put that brand new mainboard in the case .. did an initial test (1 ram stick, video card, cpu/heatsink/fan) and there is absolutely no change .... no beep , no video , no squat. So all of y'all fine techie types, is there a possibility that all this frustration I am experiencing could be caused by a bad video card. I can attest that the monitor is good, I am using it. I do have a video card available (8X in another unit) I could use to check with, don't like doing that type of stuff but if worse comes to really worse. What does that single beep during the boot up signify? Is it associated with a memory check, or something else?

a possibility that all this frustration I am experiencing could be caused by a bad video card.
Yes. Try the video card on another system to check.
What does that single beep during the boot up signify?
A single (short) beep means OK. It should be followed by a display, unless there's something wrong with the display controller, monitor cables or monitor.

b2cm ...Ummm .... ah ha .... okay .. have no beep .. so not everything is up to snuff ... no display either ... okay I will do the very unthinkable (for me anyway) cannabalize the other unit (just for a little bit) .. BUT I can say without any trepidation that if I have done all this and it is just the video card .. I just might have to have a couple 3 cold ones ...

OK. I'd rather you test that video card on a working system first (just startup, to determine if it can initialise), before you try the 8x card on the new board. Take extra care in handling those cards in and out of the AGP slots. Don't rush things or pressure yourself. Best time is when frustration level is much more manageable. :rolleyes:

b2cm ............. ??????????? B) :lol: :) (oh no)You mean that the olllddd phrase ... get a bigger hammer does not apply in this situation .... I sort of figured that if this card would not work in the other system (I know it is good, it is for sale B) ) that I might order another video card for my main system an chuck the current one in the trash ... but if the video card works in the for sale one I think it narrows it down to the CPU (process of eliminations)

:D :D :D Welllll ..... from my latest ... tblshtin .... I have come to the conclusion that I am totally confused now. I put the suspect video card in a known good machine and I got no beep, no video, then I put the card that came out of the know good machine into the one that is down and I have the same results as before. No beep, no video, and yes I did turn the machines on (((duh))) ... so sports fans, ladies and gentlemen, and distinguished guests ... what shall I do next ????????????????

It looks like the video card is bad. If I were in your shoes, I'd look for a neighborhood PC store and source my new video card there. I'd bring my box along and have the new card tried out first (before I pay). If the box won't initialize, I'm sure they'd give the system a quick diagnostic for free. And, in case the processor or board is busted, you don't have to buy a new video card. On the other hand, if it does initialize----problem solved. You buy the video card.

b2cm....................... :whistling: :thumbsup: :ermm: In this update to the update (erroronus) ... after I reseated the suspect card properly in the known good machine and powered it up,,,,,,, the video came right on up ... must have something to do with that mounting screw not being in there (loose card maybe).So I know the video card is good, next step, put known good video card in the down machine (even though it is an 8X card and the board is only 2X/4X ) ... and no beep, no video .... is this a real good bet that the CPU went south (north, east, west, someplace). I guess I shall find a good deal on an OEM AMD XP2100+ on the web ... www.pricegrabber.com here I come ... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
:w00tx100: ;) :happyroll: Wellll ..... the new CPU arrived today, could it be a project on hand to repair the main machine ????? For someone real techy ... there is a vast visual difference between the two CPU's, the early one actually has a physically larger chip than the new one, as well as some other construction differences. Is this (I hope) just advances in construction technology or is this like a difference between say Barton, Palamino, Thoroughbred cores????

Try putting the processor over the motherboard socket to see if the chip's pins fit.It's either a Palomino or Thoroughbred-A processor. The first is .18 micron Athlon and the latter is .13 micron. Thoroughbred-B starts at 2700+ while Barton at 2500+. All of them should be Socket A-compatible----if they are of the desktop package.

ross549/b2cm ......Ummmm .... should be .. socket A .. so the compatability should be good ... have not yet set it on the board since I need to go get some thermal paste to put on the chip before I go for the gusto here .... good info on the Thoroughbred and Barton .. thanks . Didn't the Athlons also come in the Thunderbird version ... memory is getting fuzzy there B) ;) .. I will find out the results later on today ....

Dale,The motherboard may not support it..... newer chips use higher clocks and multipliers. The motherboard may not have the rquired ones to run the chip at full speed. Also, different product lines use different voltages, which may not be supported by your motherboard.Is this board's BIOS flashed to the latest version?

?????????????? ;) :lol: ross549 ,,,,,,,,,On the assumption that a AMD XP2100+ is an AMD XP2100+ is an AMD XP2100+ there should be no difference between the 2-3 year old chip and the new chip. I do have the board set up overclocked a bit but not to the limits it can go. However here is what has happened since earlier .... the CPU dropped right on in the socket, no problem, got a whole new heatsink/cooling fan, half again as large as the the original one that came with the processor. Made the install, did the necessary connections as per the test sheet and guess what .... there is no change from the old stuff ..... still no beeps, no video, just like I had before ... now however with the new CPU ,,,, this has narrowed it down to only one component left ,,,,, the mainboard has to be bad, (unless I got a bum CPU). The video card has been checked good, as well as the ram, that left either the mainboard or CPU and since I get same thing with CPU being new .. leaves the mainboard (I think)

Yeah... I'd pretty much agree that the mainboard is the next option... If everything else has checked good, then you've got nothing left...

My apologies, Dale....I did not know you were getting the exact same CPU. I thought you were upgrading. Ooops.......

Your processor has an 266Mhz internal bus. Your AsRock board has an FSB range of 200Mhz to 400Mhz. Set it to 133/133 (266 FSB), using DDR266- or DDR333-rated sticks. Don't overclock.

GolfProRM/ross549/b2cm......Ahhhhh .... well ...... guess I should fectch that brand new board and build the A machine back .... the only possibility left would be the ram but I have changed that out with a spare stick of PC2100/DDR266 and got the same results that I had with the PC2700/DDR333 so I am going to assume that the ram is good. I had thought about upgrading the CPU to the AMD XP2200+ and go for the 1.8 but then I would have overclocked it also on the Soltek board the multiplier was set at 11.0 and the FSB was set to 333 but that no longer is a doable thing.Thanks for the info on the board .. b2cm ,, for sure no overclocking at least not until a reasonable break in period ... don't want to fry a brand new CPU right from the start >_< :thumbsup:

b2cm ...I can do that,,, just as soon as I take it back out. I will also post the markings on the old CPU that now is not nearly as suspect as it was. This is just so that if there are any differences they will be known before I do something else.

b2cm .....Here is allllll ... them numbers and letters an symbols :old CPU:AMD AthlonAX2100MT3CAGOIAO212SPHWY7958720705 and then it has two symbols both are a small circle and the first one has the letter "m" inside it the other one has the letter "c" inside it and (I assume) the date of mfg ... 1999new CPU:AMD AthlonAXDA2200DKV3CF430617510842AIHUB0320VPMWand it also has the same to circles with the same two letters inside and same date of mfg 1999 I am not by any means familiar with any of these markings .. but I would bet that the first CPU (original) is a 2100 and the second (new) CPU is an XP2200+ @ 1.8ghz .... ??????

Use the folliwng as guides in BIOS setup:AX2100MT3C:AX = Athlon XP (0.18 micron)2100 = model number (2100+ rating/1733Mhz actual)M = 1.75v operating voltageT = 90 degrees maximum die temperature3 = 256kb L2 cacheC = 266Mhz maximum system bus(Most likely a Palomino processor.)AXDA2200DKV3C:AXDA = Athlon XP (0.13 micron)2200 = model number (2200+ rating/1800Mhz actual)D = OPGA package typeK = 1.65v operating voltageV = 85 degrees maximum die temperature3 = 256kb L2 cacheC = 266Mhz maximum system bus(Most likely a Thoroughbred-A processor.)