Techies - Pah!

raymac46

Eric- It is a peeve of mine also, and a fear...I cannot see a good long term affect for us humans, we are not utilizing our doers, and the fully capable techs are well,frankly . we are getting older. It is not just in computers...Naval shipyards are having a heck of a time replacing an aging capable workforce...anyway......

Bambi-Yeah, still kicking about..just busy

I am having the same problem.

I was injured in Nov. 2010 and unable to continue doing the active, physically demanding work I loved doing.

I have tried to find qualified help to be my physical replacement - no good.

I have tried using promising youngsters who I could closely supervise and train - good luck.

When our generation is gone, it will not be the American children of today who carry on for us.

I have found some recent immigrants who show promise of being good, long-term replacements. But they are in high demand.

• Like 1

Very good reply Hedon :thumbup:

Thanks Breach, I appreciate the comments, but I think I sound overly cynical. Then I re-read my comments and can't help but think I'm dead on; if anything, I've varnished my comments a little, trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. I honestly believe their generation is in trouble, due to their lack of problem-solving skills. I remember being in sales 20 or so years ago; wanting to be GOOD at that, I learned that the most successful salesmen found a problem that only they could solve, then solved it! The morally-challenged "created" a problem only they could solve, then solved it.

The problem, as I see it, is that today's generation can't solve problems. Therefore, they're always at the mercy of someone else's solution. And since they can't solve problems, they also can't tell the difference between a good solution or a solution with an agenda. Therefore, they also can't distinguish between a benefactor and the morally challenged. And they don't WANT to know.

It's like that scene in Billy Madison where the hot teacher is tutoring Billy and removes an article of clothing for each correct answer, but puts something back on for each incorrect answer. After several correct answers, Billy almost has her naked, but is distracted by the prospect of his reward for the next correct answer and promptly flubs it. Teacher shakes her head and puts something back on. Billy panics at the lost opportunity and starts guessing wildly, as teacher continues re-dressing; at which point Billy yells in frustration "JUST GIVE ME THE D*** ANSWER!!!!"

And that, in a microcosm, is our Millenial Children of the next generation. Something has got to give, and I'm not sure I want to be around to see that...but I probably will... (sigh)

Guest LilBambi

I have met a few like that, but I can't buy that that's everyone. I have met many gifted people in the younger generation.

You know the old saying about never and always...

Two interesting discussions going on here in one topic. Don't know which to tackle first so I'll do two posts.

As far as as HJ's comments go I largely agree with him. I'm not advocating that kids today ignore the concept of (say) logarithms. They are too important as math functions and in science for that. They have to learn about them. Whether you do that practically by a cookbook method like log tables or by pushing the button on a scientific calculator is less important to me. Obviously if the batteries die in the calculator the old paper and pencil method works. So does a slide rule to "3 figure" accuracy. There is a difference between learning about logs as math functions, and using them to avoid long division. In first year university there were a lot of kids who could use a log table, but couldn't stretch that knowledge to do pH calculations.

The Internet can be a source of wonderful information or total dross and critical thinking is required to separate the two. How you develop that would take a lot longer post than this one would be, but I agree it is essential.

Edited by raymac46

I'm going through the old replace/repair syndrome right now with my 9 year old refrigerator. It's still running but making some weird buzzing noises. It's a simple enough job to replace the starter relay on the compressor (can't repair it - it's a sold state block.) If that doesn't work it means the compressor itself may be failing. At this point repair is almost the price of a new fridge so away to the recycler it goes I guess.

LOL...I think for me it was being raised poor....so repairman /replacement wasnt really an option. Even my early Navy days money was still tight, so fixing a problem (and doing it only once) meant more other things for my family. From that, I guess the more I found out what I could do the more I would try. The good news is still run into kids that operate that way, so I do have some hope.

Like Eric- My problem is that we have exported our technical base...I think if we got that back...even at todays labor rates..we would still be better off

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I think for me it was being raised poor....so repairman /replacement wasnt really an option.

Definitely the roots of my fix it fixation. When I was growing up (not in poverty, but with limited means), my dad was a master fixer. I learned a lot from him in that regard. My uncles were the same way. My mother's brother Aaron must have been one of those traveling tinkers in another life. This guy could fix anything. Like most fixers, myself included, he was even a very talented custom tool/jig/kludge maker.

Necessity is the mother of invention; ofttimes, boredom is, also. ;)

• Like 2

This guy could fix anything. Like most fixers, myself included, he was even a very talented custom tool/jig/kludge maker.

Growing up we fixed everything. We made many tools/jigs to fix things.

Dad made more than an adequate salary as an Engineer and manager. But we had a family of 7. We could have some of the things we wanted, just not everything. And what we had we took care of properly and repaired as needed because we sure as heck weren't getting another one if we broke it thru carelessness/neglect.

When we moved to FL in 1972 Dad used a door hinge to secure the sliding glass doors because he thought they were a security gap. They now sell those things, acrylic hinge to secure sliding doors. If only he had been a patent oriented guy.

In 1964 he bought a screwdriver with those long interchangeable bits, inserted them into his high speed drill chuck to drive screws when building large projects. Dang, there go our millions of $.

The list of things he/we created out of necessity/need/convenience that are now readily made and available at retail is fairly long.

Oh well!

Edited by amenditman
  • Like 1

Guest LilBambi

My Dad was a fixer too, a tinkerer, a hacker of the day as it were. He fixed everything for everyone that came to him with something to fix from tiny stuff to cars. He was an excellent mechanic of car engines, boat engines, etc. and I was privileged to be his helper throughout all my formative years. It wasn't till my only brother was growing up and I was nearly 16 that my Mother told me it was my brother's turn now with my Dad. ;)

My Dad always said, if you put your mind to something, you can do anything. And he always did, so I didn't see why that wouldn't be true for me as well growing up.

He also built things from wood, metal or anything else he could think if. LOL!

Cluttermagnet

I'm amazed I've come as far as I have... because my father was totally NOT mechanically inclined. He had a good mind, though...

And I turned out to be a hardware guy and very observant and detail- oriented. Like to build and disassemble. Curious...

But I never had transmitted to me all that male- bonding sports stuff, never learned internal combustion engines when young, etc.

Playing catch up in that department...

Guest LilBambi

It is not all your Dad, or your Mom though, sometimes it is a combo of both or a throwback.

For me, both my parents had a will and/or desire to do things and they had a lot of will and/or desire.

So I got it from both sides. I definitely got mechanical reasoning from my Dad. I just wish I had gotten his math genius as well! I do well enough in math but it is not my strong suit like it was with my Dad.

V.T. Eric Layton

Actually, now that you mention that... my mom was a Florida cracker girl who grew up on a farm in Central Florida during the depression. She was skilled with most hand tools and some power tools. She was a moderately good fixer, too.

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

It's my ID within the sub-group in the Google Borg collective. ;)

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm sure there are. I'm just a lowly member (the 13th) of the 31st sub-group.

I think the 37th sub-group is currently attempting to assimilate Cluttermagnet. Resistance is futile. He'll be one with the collective soon... Clutterborg 14 of 37. ;)

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Not exactly.

in·verse

adjective

• 1. opposite or contrary in position, direction, order, or effect.

"the well-observed inverse relationship between disability and social contact

noun

• 1. something that is the opposite or reverse of something else.

"his approach is the inverse of most research"

V.T. Eric Layton

What Borg Collective?

Bambiborg has access to the collective dictionary files, it seems. ;)

I got my inverses confused with my reciprocals. Corrupted data in the network resulted in slight malfunction of this unit's sub-processor. The error has been detected and eliminated.

• Like 1