Alaric Adventures in Linux split from Windows Crossover

Guest LilBambi

Cluttermagnet

Good link, but his laptop has no password stored for his router. I'm sure of that. So far, we did everything

over wired internet. And when he tried to connect wirelessly, he must have given a wrong password.

So he guessed wrong. Now he has a better guess but can't get the router to send him a login window.

The only stored password on that lappy was in Win8- and Win8 is now history. Wiped off the drive.

Maybe he can get it out of Win7 on his other machine?

But his problem seems to be the router will not now talk with him. No login window to enter the correct

pwd into...

Edited by Cluttermagnet

securitybreach

Well he said he stored the wrong wifi password, hence my instructions:

I inadvertently entered the wrong password to enter wifi and now I am locked out! Rebooting computer and then the router, I still cannot get a 2nd shot at logging in! I have Linux on my laptop, but now I can't use it.

Cluttermagnet

He needs to reset- something. The thing is, I don't know what. Wifi is *not* my strong suit. Everything wired here...

Well he said he stored the wrong wifi password, hence my instructions:

[/size][/font][/color]

Can that be construed as storing that incorrect password? I'd never have thought of it that way. I guess you can.

So maybe those instructions *do* fit him after all?

Does he maybe need to go into networking settings to straighten this out? I think his box may still be expecting

a wired internet connection? I don't even have an example to look at here. No wifi in this house.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Well, I faked it out: I got into network security and deleted the saved password and entered the correct one. Saved it and closed, presto I was in!

Now for some silly reason, Linux won't recognize (or this forum through Linux) my password there, so I had to run up here!

• Like 1

Cluttermagnet

If you were running NoScript in Firefox, like I wish you were, I'd say that you just forgot to enable Scot's forums to run javascript in your browser. But you don't have that installed. So I'd guess that you just entered your pwd incorrectly. Or is it a tricky password? Software insists that we get every little i dotted and every t crossed. The slightest little error will keep you out...

Edited by Cluttermagnet
  • Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Awesome!

I would double check the password and know that the sensitivity on the keyboard may be slightly different in Linux. You could have gotten a double letter or number without realizing, maybe?

I would try again with the password on your browser.

What browser are you using by the way?

Awesome!

I would double check the password and know that the sensitivity on the keyboard may be slightly different in Linux. You could have gotten a double letter or number without realizing, maybe?

I would try again with the password on your browser.

What browser are you using by the way?

I am using Firefox, as before on Win7.

If for some reason you told it to save your forum password and it was a wrong password, you will need to remove the password in the Options/Preferences for the browser before it will take the correct one.

For Firefox:

Password manager - Remember, delete and change saved passwords in Firefox - Support.Mozilla.org

I stomped it by erasing, then re-entering it in that network window. :devil:

Edited by alaric76
  • Like 2

I'm pleased to announce that Alaric76 and I talked our way through his install *and* updates.

He now has Mint 17 Mate on his Toshiba laptop.

Congrats! The very first install is definitely a little nerve-racking. :yes:

Guest LilBambi

I am using Firefox, as before on Win7.

I stomped it by erasing, then re-entering it in that network window. :devil:

I was talking about the password for the Forums, in case it was typed incorrectly and saved.

If for some reason you told it to save your forum password and it was a wrong password, you will need to remove the password in the Options/Preferences for the browser before it will take the correct one.

For Firefox:

Password manager - Remember, delete and change saved passwords in Firefox - Support.Mozilla.org

What happens now, is that I get kicked off my wifi after about an hour! For this forum, I have to use another computer. Despite all this, I am very happy with Linux! Thanks again, everyone!

Cluttermagnet

Although I don't know much about wifi, I did suggest that alaric76 try moving the unit slightly. It is possible with a single antenna to place it in those small areas of no signal ('nulls'). With two or more antennas on the wifi, much less likely...

securitybreach

Although I don't know much about wifi, I did suggest that alaric76 try moving the unit slightly. It is possible with a single antenna to place it in those small areas of no signal ('nulls'). With two or more antennas on the wifi, much less likely...

Yes and no.. Wifi can generally go about 1500ft 150ft through walls, buildings, etc. More antennas do mean a wider range but you will not generally have a no signal area of your house (unless the room is plated with iron or another metal). I can get signal about 2 blocks away with my wifi but I have an expensive router with a long antenna.

Guest LilBambi

Normal antennas (not long antennas) don't have that kind of range. Many people in large homes have issues do to being 75-150 feet long, especially with issues with metal backed insulation between, or Fridge, or heating plant, or, or, or.

It is often easier to get an extender if you have trouble. Or move the router to a more centrally located place in the house.

Also remember, that even if your laptop can see your router, it doesn't mean it can reply back to it. You can see routers at distances greater than your own wireless card can actually connect to, especially if it's on a long antenna. Some of the laptop cards are very lame.

Normal antennas (not long antennas) don't have that kind of range. Many people in large homes have issues do to being 75-150 feet long, especially with issues with metal backed insulation between, or Fridge, or heating plant, or, or, or.

It is often easier to get an extender if you have trouble. Or move the router to a more centrally located place in the house.

Also remember, that even if your laptop can see your router, it doesn't mean it can reply back to it. You can see routers at distances greater than your own wireless card can actually connect to, especially if it's on a long antenna. Some of the laptop cards are very lame.

Interesting. So if I did get a wireless router, I could run into trouble since currently the router is located in the basement and my mother would be upstairs. There's metal ductwork and such in the basement ceiling. I might have to move the whole shebang upstairs then. :'( Edited by ebrke

Cluttermagnet

Interesting. So if I did get a wireless router, I could run into trouble since currently the router is located in the basement and my mother would be upstairs. There's metal ductwork and such in the basement ceiling. I might have to move the whole shebang upstairs then. :'(

There's no way to know that in advance. But I'd suggest trying it. You may be pleasantly surprised. Anything in the house is above it, may work all over that house, even second floor...

• Like 1

My router is in the middle of the first floor of a ranch house. We have real plaster walls, metal duct work for heating and cooling and wooden floors on top of thick subfloors. We got the signal from the router to the basement. I used string to measure, as the crow flies and it was 75 feet away. We used this to connect 2 computers wirelessly in the basement to the router. Eventually, I decided to go with POE adapters. If you can't get a signal, there are other ways.

Eventually, I decided to go with POE adapters. If you can't get a signal, there are other ways.

I think you must mean EOP adapters. They have both Power over Ethernet and Ethernet over Power.

And yes, Ethernet over Powerline adapters are a fantastic solution. I use them to get ethernet out to my workshop as WiFi can't do it.

I have one set of EOP adapters now, but they can be a pain because they hog an entire socket due to their size. I did use them when I had to have a 'puter upstairs after my mother had surgery a couple of years ago.

Cluttermagnet

My router is in the middle of the first floor of a ranch house. We have real plaster walls, metal duct work for heating and cooling and wooden floors on top of thick subfloors. We got the signal from the router to the basement. I used string to measure, as the crow flies and it was 75 feet away. We used this to connect 2 computers wirelessly in the basement to the router. Eventually, I decided to go with POE adapters. If you can't get a signal, there are other ways.

Well, if that plaster was applied over metal lath, that could be a problem. Not so much over wood lath.

POE sounds like a good approach...

Cluttermagnet

off topic, but anyway...

welcome, alaric76!

Nope, not really off topic, Temmu.

He tells me aside, in the Gas Buddy forums, that he is favorably impressed

with the ambiance and helpfulness of Scot's...

• Like 1

securitybreach
He tells me aside, in the Gas Buddy forums, that he is favorably impressed with the ambiance and helpfulness of Scot's...

Very cool :thumbup:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

That's mostly due to the fact that I was on summer hiatus since he signed on. Now that I'm back, his opinions may change. ;)

• Like 1

Very late to the party here but may I make a few comments:

1. I agree that if any system had Windows 8 installed, you have to go into the UEFI and disable Secure Boot.
  2. Most UEFI setups allow both a standard UEFI with GPT disks or a Legacy BIOS with the old MBR format. My Gigabyte mobo will let you use both types of disks at the same time.
  3. I'm no fan of blowing off a perfectly good Windows O/S. I think I'd go with a second hard drive and put the first one away.
  4. Maybe I would have suggested a VirtualBox for Windows trial with whatever Linux alaric76 wanted to test out.
  5. Wifi can be a bit tricky with Linux but if you install with a wire and then use Linux Mint's driver manager GUI you'll likely get the right firmware/software you need to get it working. Some wifi works right out of the box (Intel and Atheros for example.)
  6. I have my router on the main floor of the house and a tiny wifi extender in the basement that plugs right into the wall socket. It works great. http://www.staples.c...28_2-CA_1_20001
  7. This is a great place to get advice and learn in a supportive and non-threatening environment. Lots of expertise too.
  8. Linux Mint 17 is one of the best implementations so far and is an LTS release so it's good for a while. Heartily recommended.

• Like 1

Hedon James

Very late to the party here but may I make a few comments:

1. I agree that if any system had Windows 8 installed, you have to go into the UEFI and disable Secure Boot.
  2. Most UEFI setups allow both a standard UEFI with GPT disks or a Legacy BIOS with the old MBR format. My Gigabyte mobo will let you use both types of disks at the same time.
  3. I'm no fan of blowing off a perfectly good Windows O/S. I think I'd go with a second hard drive and put the first one away.
  4. Maybe I would have suggested a VirtualBox for Windows trial with whatever Linux alaric76 wanted to test out.
  5. Wifi can be a bit tricky with Linux but if you install with a wire and then use Linux Mint's driver manager GUI you'll likely get the right firmware/software you need to get it working. Some wifi works right out of the box (Intel and Atheros for example.)
  6. I have my router on the main floor of the house and a tiny wifi extender in the basement that plugs right into the wall socket. It works great. http://www.staples.c...28_2-CA_1_20001
  7. This is a great place to get advice and learn in a supportive and non-threatening environment. Lots of expertise too.
  8. Linux Mint 17 is one of the best implementations so far and is an LTS release so it's good for a while. Heartily recommended.

It's kinda scary how much you & I think alike Ray?!! I think sometimes we share a brain! And whenever I have a brain fart, that must be the moment you are using it?! B)

In all seriousness, thanks for the link to the wifi extender! I have my dual-band wifi on the far end of the 2nd story of my 2-story home. I NOW know it's not the best placement, but it's where the builder put the DSL jack in my home office. All my home office devices, movie & music server, etc... are connected via ethernet so it was never a problem...until we started adding wifi devices. Even so, wifi reception is fine in the middle of the house, the first floor, and even my 2 recording computers in the concrete basement (located under the metal duct work!). It's a weak signal there, but it's pretty reliable, FWIW! I also get good wifi out by the pool, on the same side of the house as the router. But the wifi in my childrens' bedrooms, mostly TV set-top devices for movie/Netflix streaming, etc... can be spotty. It's mostly okay, but on rare occasions it is horrible. If it affected me, I'd address the issue, but since it only affects their TV watching on occasion, I just tell them to wait it out and find something else to do until then! Sometimes I'd like to fix it, so I don't have to hear about it anymore; but most of the time I think it's a good character-builder for them to be inconvenienced sometimes and reminded that the universe does NOT revolve around them.

But now that you have presented a $50 solution, perhaps I'll reconsider in a weak moment?! That would make a great Christmas present for spoiled children who already have everything!!!! Thanks for the tip!