abarbarian

Slackware articles through the ages.

Yup, good ole Pat. Even outside of being "Benevolent Dictator for Life" of Slackware, he is a pretty cool dude:

Volkerding is a Deadhead, and even by April 1994 he had already attended 75 concerts.

Volkerding is a Church of the SubGenius affiliate/member. The use of the word slack in "Slackware" is a homage to J. R. "Bob" Dobbs. About the SubGenius influence on Slackware, Volkerding has stated: "I'll admit that it was SubGenius inspired. In fact, back in the 2.0 through 3.0 days we used to print a dobbshead on each CD."

Volkerding is an avid homebrewer and beer lover. Early versions of Slackware would entreat users to send him a bottle of local beer in appreciation for his work.

https://en.wikipedia...rick_Volkerding

This article MAY be about Volkerding, but it sounds like it's about VT Eric Layton? Are they related? :whistling:

• Like 1

Zorin is a paid Linux now???

Zorin Core is free but Zorin Ultimate costs 12 bucks: https://zorinos.com/download/

Yup, good ole Pat. Even outside of being "Benevolent Dictator for Life" of Slackware, he is a pretty cool dude:

Volkerding is a Deadhead, and even by April 1994 he had already attended 75 concerts.

Volkerding is a Church of the SubGenius affiliate/member. The use of the word slack in "Slackware" is a homage to J. R. "Bob" Dobbs. About the SubGenius influence on Slackware, Volkerding has stated: "I'll admit that it was SubGenius inspired. In fact, back in the 2.0 through 3.0 days we used to print a dobbshead on each CD."

Volkerding is an avid homebrewer and beer lover. Early versions of Slackware would entreat users to send him a bottle of local beer in appreciation for his work.

https://en.wikipedia...rick_Volkerding

This article MAY be about Volkerding, but it sounds like it's about VT Eric Layton? Are they related? :whistling:

Hehehe, right :hysterical:

• Like 1

Zorin is a paid Linux now???

I was trying to think of a couple of other paid for linux os's but me mind went blank and I did a super quick search for paid ones hence the mistake. :'(

By the way are you related to Pat ? :whistling:

Well, about sounding like that article was about me...

I've never been a big fan of The Grateful Dead. I think I liked one of their songs once...

I don't do ANYTHING involving any kind of churches.

And...

I can't stand beer. Jack Daniels was my alternate reality of choice back in the old daze. Nowadays, I drink coffee, iced tea, and KoolAid (made with Splenda).

And no... I'm not related to The BDFL. I do bow to him before logging in to Slackware, though. :worthy:

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 2

Ummm! Don't like The Grateful dead ... Dazza shame ... I sit at the kit and play along with their music sometimes and always feel a good bit better afterwards . They bring back really great memories from the old days . Along with music from The Big Pink .

Still different points of view are good for the overall matrix of ideas

• Like 3

And no... I'm not related to The BDFL. I do bow to him before logging in to Slackware, though. :worthy:.

A video of that on You Tube would be an instant hit I recon and a good loot raiser if shot well. :Laughing:

• Like 2

Alien’s ARM

When in the course of 2011 it became apparent that Netbooks saw interesting sales figures, especially the low-powered Atom netbooks, often running some form of Linux, it was only natural that hardware vendors started talking about even lower-power portable devices. I was thrilled by the fact that an ARM powered laptop could be launched in 2012, and when the Raspberry Pi story began in earnest at the end of that year, I decided that I needed to do a port of Slackware to the ARM architecure in order to be prepared for the flood of cool devices. But hey! I hear you say… an ARM port of Slackware already exists! Yes indeed,

Unfortunately, being the sole provider of income for my family and with a job that pays average, and without pay raises for a long time, I just do not have the financial room to buy a 300 euro laptop just to hack on it. That’s when I decided to ask for some financial backing.

Raising the Money to buy a real Device

What I did not expect to happen… I asked for 300 euros and lots of people donated in the 24 hours that followed. One of those donations was 299 euros (!) which was in itself enough to reach my goal. The supporters who left me a message basically said “do what you like with the money”

Although this blog post is almost a decade old I feel that it showcases all that is great about the open source world we inhabit. :Laie_95:

• Like 2