PC Linux OS

Owyn

Last time was in ext3. I will reformat it and try again. Without reformatting it failed. It went back to the same error sequence as before. I suspect it is the memory though. This time on booting I told it mem=800M and it seems to be booting fine. So you want me to try again without the memory statement?--Julia ;)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Owyn

• teacher

• Bruno

• ross549

Top Posters In This Topic

Face it. You two just like to watch me go through reinstalls. :D :D And I am foolish enough to comply for the sake of isolating the problem. ;) And hubby wonders why I am not fixing dinner. :D--Julia :)

Last time was in ext3.  I will reformat it and try again.  Without reformatting it failed.  It went back to the same error sequence as before.  I suspect it is the memory though.  This time on booting I told it mem=800M and it seems to be booting fine.  So you want me to try again without the memory statement?--Julia ;)
The target partition *MUST* be pre-formatted and empty before running the HD installer.Do NOT choose format within the installer.See HD Install Step-by-Step

AdamBehave or I am going to call your boss and tell him to do a surprise inspection on your room! ;)--Julia :)Getting ready to format. Which format?

Lasit chance - Do I go with the Reiser this time or the memory?  Which do you want me to change first?--Julia ;)
Just change the memory.We only want to change one parameter at a time.LOL. Into formal testing now.PS: Go get supper ready.I need to take a break from the forum to implement some scripts for Tex.

For the sake of science you lost this time Bruno. However, stubborn as I am I only stepped the memory down to 800 when booting this time. --Julia ;)

AdamBehave or I am going to call your boss and tell him to do a surprise inspection on your room! :D--Julia :)Getting ready to format.  Which format?
I am ready..... ;)

AdamSo you have one computer hidden? I know, maybe it is time for a fire drill. Better yet, an alert! :DBrunoYou know me. I follow directions so well. :DFixing supper while it installs. --Julia ;)

Julia:Here is a recap of what I think we know about your system.1) Must use "livecd xbpp=24 xres=1024" to boot.2) You had strange partition types which were causing errors mounting partitions during LiveCD boot. These errors have been fixed.3) You have 1.5GB RAMHere is what we know about PCLos PV5.1) There is a bug in the HD installer format routines. Target and swap partitions must be created, pre-formatted, and empty BEFORE running the HD Installer.2) Both ext3 and ReiserFS formats are approved and tested for the target partition.3) The installer uses the same partition detect routines during it's initialization as fstab handler does at boot. Problems which cause fstab errors are likely to cause undetermined problems in the installer.Here is what I think I know about the successfull install.1) You booted with "livecd xbpp=24 xres=1024x768 mem=512M"2) You pre-formatted the target partition to ext3. It was empty prior to running the Installer.Here is what I don't know.1) Will running with 1.5GB work? ie. "livecd xbpp=24 xres=1024x768"2) Will both ext3 and ReiserFS work for the target partitions?Using "mem=800M" does not answer the first unknown.The second unknown is likely to have little impact. Both formats are supposed to work, and I have successfully mounted and used ReiserFS, ext3, ntfs, vfat16, vfat32, smb share, and nfs share from PCLos. It happens that I have only tested ext3 as my target root partition for the install.

Edited by Owyn

1) There is a bug in the HD installer format routines. Target and swap partitions must be created, pre-formatted, and empty BEFORE running the HD Installer.
Say it isn't so! I have to start over again? o:)

This system is only 1GB of RAM I believe. I don't think I have 1.5 in this - that's my daughter's with the 1.5. Well1. It works with ext3, mem=800M, xres=1024x768 xbpp=24.2. It does not work with ext 3, xres=1024x768 xbpp=24.3. It works with ext3, mem=512M, xres=1024x768 xbpp=24I guess I did not post all my installs. I tried #2 above after it worked with #3. Number 2 did not work so I tried number 1 and it worked. That tells me it does not work with over 1 GB of RAM. So now what? --Julia o:)

1) There is a bug in the HD installer format routines. Target and swap partitions must be created, pre-formatted, and empty BEFORE running the HD Installer.
Say it isn't so! I have to start over again? o:)
Sorry. It may work, but, it is *MUCH* more likely to fail.

Thank you very much Julia. o:) B) Tx for correcting me about the memory size, but, the key point we now know is that PCLos PV5 will boot with 1GB but the HD Installer will fail.We also strongly suspect that the fstab mount errors were also causing a problem.What Next.I think we are done. The ext3 vs ReiserFS issue is probably a red herring. Nothing to do with your problems.

I guess it is time to do some reading and see about some updates. ;)Glad we have that one figured out. Happy to experiment. You know I hate to do an install. o:) B)--Julia :)

I guess it is time to do some reading and see about some updates.  B)
Check the tips.Get the full /etc/apt/sources.list file. It is set to use nluug.Then:$ su# apt-get update# apt-get ugpradePiece of cake.
Glad we have that one figured out.  Happy to experiment.  You know I hate to do an install. o:) :)
Me too. Thanks for bearing with me. I can get a bit anal in the middle of testing.

I'm running the livecd - first time I have gotten a chance to test it out. I think I found a bug in regards to the pppoe - I go to setup Tkpppoe and enter the information in properly and when I click Start - up comes and error stating the etc/ppp is writeable to others and so you have to click ok and it cancels it. I went into the etc/ folder and took the permissions off of ppp to just user and than it connected without a problem.Run across this one yet?

Run across this one yet?
No. Had not tested PPPoE myself this time. Waiting for you.This problem is new to PV5 correct, I don't remember having problems with PV4.Made a note of it, will also go back to check my notes from PV4.

PV 4 was set up in the Mission Control Center Tkpppoe is new as far as I can tell -- I don't see internet in the MCC I like the Tkpppoe much better than dealing with that wizard stuff in MCC

OwynYou asked earlier if changing the format type for my hba1 and hba2 killed XP. I decided to go check. We can hold the funeral for XP any time you like. :D However, all my files parked there seem to work fine. Booting into XP just reboots and sends me back to Linux. It knows what distro I am suppose to use. :'(--Julia :blink:

Changing hda1 back to type 1e will probably restore WXP to life.I think it was hdb1 FAT12 that was causing the mount errors.FYI:Having hda1 hidden makes WXP see hda2 as C:. With hda1 unhidden, hda2 is as seen as D:. WXP becomes a very confused, sick puppy.

Edited by teacher

That's confusing to me! Some day I will get adventuresome and go back and switch it. Not one of my top priorities now. I have sound tested, updated my programs, configured gkrellm. The only think I have not done yet is run my sensors. That can wait for another day. --Julia B)

That's confusing to me!  Some day I will get adventuresome and go back and switch it.  Not one of my top priorities now.  I have sound tested, updated my programs, configured gkrellm.  The only think I have not done yet is run my sensors.  That can wait for another day.  --Julia :thumbsup:
Hey it is confusing to WXP as well, you are in bad company.Great job with the progress.Where is Quint when you need him? Time for some fireworks.

He will be along in about 4 hours. Lately he is a middle of the night person. His presence during our daytime/evening is missed. o:) You think XP is confused, here's how confused I was this evening. I was updating the taxes on hubby's computer and I hear a beep beep (silence for a few seconds) beep beep (silence for a few seconds) beep beep (silence for a minute or so. While I am hearing the beeps the hubby's computer has an orange light flashing to the beat. Hmmm. I check the temps on the front, they seem normal but I turn up the fan speed. I power down. Then I hear it again. Hmmm. I am looking at the UPS and swinging in my chair trying to find the source. I lean over and to check things and it gets faint. I look for the manual for the shuttle to see if it has a chart for error codes to figure out the problem or how it could continue to beep after powered off. I am getting very frustrated and confused. :wacko: At this point I am thinking that hubby will be real mad that I "broke" a computer. :o I then reach into my pocket and pull out my cell phone just as it goes beep beep and the cell phone light flashes saying I have a voice mail. ;) Nope, never confusing around here. :( :wacko: ;) :thumbsup: --Julia :(