New Release: PCLinuxOS Preview 4

zox

Hi Owyn,Preview #4Alsa - same as Bruno'sNo soundSo I popped back in Preview #3 and sound works.  B) Hope this helps.
Rons:From a console in PV4:$ su# soundchk.shand post the results please.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Owyn

• BarryB

• quint

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm becoming more and more confused...I didn't install the way you posted, and also didn't have any problems, (still don't)...but I'd like to understand why others have?As far as I can tell, my sound is from: "OSS"...but I'm not sure of anything anymore. :unsure: I knew the version of "KDE" that was installed was 3.1.4, so I didn't know why the "updates" were 3.1.3-something...maybe I should just be happy that all is working fine.

I'm becoming more and more confused...I didn't install the way you posted, and also didn't have any problems, (still don't)...but I'd like to understand why others have?
Your system is using similar components to the system that Texstar uses to build the ISO and you lucked out in hwdetect.
As far as I can tell, my sound is from: "OSS"...but I'm not sure of anything anymore. :unsure:
Run soundchk.sh (it's on the cd/hd in /usr/local/bin). Check the sound drivers. If your driver starts with "snd-" it's alsa, if it doesn't it's OSS. From my records your alsa driver should be snd-via82xx
I knew the version of "KDE" that was installed was 3.1.4, so I didn't know why the "updates" were 3.1.3-something...maybe I should just be happy that all is working fine.
Texstar's packaging is a bit ahead of Mandrake 9.2's.

Bruno quote:

Quint . . don´t mess with it . . just smile and be happy ! 
:lol: :unsure: Owyn, you are correct...it is "alsa". (Was unsure, because after running "soundchk.sh", there were many entries like: snd-seq-oss). Thanks.

Bruno quote:
Quint . . don´t mess with it . . just smile and be happy ! 
:lol: :unsure: Owyn, you are correct...it is "alsa". (Was unsure, because after running "soundchk.sh", there were many entries like: snd-seq-oss). Thanks.
Yep. That's the other way to tell. If you have a long list it's alsa, a short list it's OSS. :lol:

Hi Owyn - here you go.[root@localhost root]# soundchk.shsoundchk.sh v1.02 - Running Sound Configuration ChecksIdentifying SystemLinux localhost 2.4.22-21.tmb.2mdk #1 Thu Oct 30 01:37:26 CET 2003 i686 unknown unknown GNU/LinuxChecking Deviceslr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 10 Dec 5 15:00 adsp -> sound/adsplr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 11 Dec 5 15:00 audio -> sound/audiolr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 9 Dec 5 15:00 dsp -> sound/dsplr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 11 Dec 5 15:00 mixer -> sound/mixerlr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 15 Dec 5 15:00 sequencer -> sound/sequencerlr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 16 Dec 5 15:00 sequencer2 -> sound/sequencer2drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Dec 31 1969 soundChecking Driversnd-via82xx : VIA Technologies|VT8233 [AC97 Audio Controller] [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:1106 device:3059 subv:1462 subd:7380)Checking Actual Driver in Use (/etc/modules.conf)alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xxoptions snd-via82xx index=0 dxs_support=2above snd-via82xx snd-pcm-ossChecking if Module Loadedsnd-seq-oss 32032 0 (unused)snd-seq-midi-event 6080 0 [snd-seq-oss]snd-seq 42576 2 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]snd-pcm-oss 43556 0snd-mixer-oss 14256 0 [snd-pcm-oss]snd-via82xx 15360 0snd-pcm 79492 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-via82xx]snd-timer 18628 0 [snd-seq snd-pcm]snd-ac97-codec 46584 0 [snd-via82xx]snd-mpu401-uart 4720 0 [snd-via82xx]snd-rawmidi 17888 0 [snd-mpu401-uart]snd-seq-device 5848 0 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq snd-rawmidi]snd-page-alloc 9044 0 [snd-via82xx snd-pcm]gameport 3300 0 [snd-via82xx]snd 44292 0 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-via82xx snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]soundcore 6340 0 [snd]Checking if services configured to be run on initlevel 3Checking if Sound services configuredsound 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:offChecking if Alsa service configuredalsa 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:offChecking if Sound Volume mutedvol 68, 68, Ppcm 0, 0speaker 0, 0line 0, 0, Pmic 0, 0, Rcd 0, 0, Pigain 0, 0line1 0, 0, Pphin 0, 0, Pvideo 0, 0, PChecking which program uses the sound cardEnd of Checks[root@localhost root]# :unsure: :lol:

Owyn if it is going to help you any.I found some time last night and booted off of new CD I burned.It booted nicely and I was in Pclinux preview 4 in no time.I like it a lot.I still have to do an HD install when I find time but this is my impression from running it 15 minutes or so (had to get up early).It is going to be my number one distro, that's for sure.I loved ATI control panel and that it loaded latest ATI driver by default.There is even control for dual head which I have never seen in Linux.That is 6 thumbs up, by the way all the 3D support was also there so I was up and running out of box (CD) without any tweaking.That is certainly first time in Linux that default installed 3D driver and gave me special ATI control panel for additional tweaks, almost the same like in Windows.When I booted system was both mute and using OSS drivers.That is the same behaviour I've had with Mandrake 9.2 so nothing new there.Sound was set to "Autodetect" which I changed to ALSA and also I had to go in AUMIX to raise the volume.After these two steps I had sound going.Like I said this is nothing new as I've had same thing with 9.2.The only problem that I run into last night was trying to change ewsolution from default 1024x768 to my LCD native 1280x1024 where screen blacked out and never returned.I tried everything screen was just black without any response whatsoever so I had to shutdown with button.At that point I went to sleep so will play a bit more tonight when I get home.All in all pleasant surprise and it is going to be a keeper.I can't wait to try HD install.By the way as Live CD it worked much faster then any version of Knoppix I tried so far so that's another plus.It was almost as fast as my 9.2 HD install.Texstar is my idol B) Great job.Can't wait for full stable version.

It is going to be my number one distro, that's for sure.
Zox, the day Texstar brings his own real distro ( HD, not live ) I will wipe all my partitions and only install Tex-Linux ! B) :) ( Make me a member of the Tex Fan Club too . . . . . ):) Bruno

I will try tonight.I just remembered that when I tried chnaging couple of things I clicked on several icons in control center and they were not operational, like "Change resolution", "X server", etc..When I wen to new "Mission Control Center" I found working stuff and that's where I tried changing resolution.As I said I didn't spend much time and I am posting from OSX from work but as soon as I get home tonight I'll check it out and post back.By the way did you know that I am working 13 hour shifts?Bruno that would be cool, Tex-fan club B) Good idea :)

Tx zox. I am definitely a member of the fan club as well.I added a note to my previous post about checking my hd install procedures. Won't work otherwise.PS: I saw a note about others having problems changing xres after boot. The xres boot option seems to fix that problem. If it works, then the setting should carry over to the hd install.

Just finished testing applying updates to HD install. Install is still working. :thumbsup: However:1)Skipped kdelibs. Will trash system.2)Skipped popt/rmt/shorewall etc. They want to remove "color-schemes-1.0.0-5tex.noarch".Noticed that Tex has been doing a really good job of getting updates applied prior to a preview. Only recent updates showed up in the update list.

Skipped kdelibs. Skipped popt/rmt/shorewall
LOL . . . . Those were all the updates I saw in the MCC . . . . actually there is no need to update . . next week we will have a new 'updated' version. Hope there will still be a few bugs left . . . testing with NO bugs is NO fun . . :thumbsup: :DB) Bruno

Skipped kdelibs. Skipped popt/rmt/shorewall
LOL . . . . Those were all the updates I saw in the MCC . . . . actually there is no need to update . . next week we will have a new 'updated' version. Hope there will still be a few bugs left . . . testing with NO bugs is NO fun . . :thumbsup: :DB) Bruno
Not quite. I installed drakxtools + dependencies, mandrake doc, ...About half of the available updates.I am really not happy about rpmdrake wanting to update kdelibs to an earlier version. But, probably nothing that can be done about it (tex vs mdk rpms). Need to be very carefull about applying updates to HD installs of live CDs (Knoppix or PCLos).

Zox, the day Texstar brings his own real distro ( HD, not live ) I will wipe all my partitions and only install Tex-Linux ! :w00t: B) ( Make me a member of the Tex Fan Club too  . . . . .  )B) Bruno
Heh Bruno,Are you serious about using only Texstar? :thumbsup:

Rons,It will take place 1 in the series of distro´s I have and put Mandrake to place 2. I will buy packed Texstar Power Pack and only do the download version of Mandrake. . . . . Texstar used to be synonymous for Mandrake, Mandrake misses it´s right arm without Texstar . . . . If Texstar would set up real competition for Mandrake, he would win place 1 on Distrowatch in no time.:thumbsup: Bruno

Bruno/Quint/et al:Need to correct procedure to install lilo from any partition (including livecd).Same example. My Mdk92 partition and lilo is on hda7.

# Must be rootsu# Install lilomount  -t  devfs  none  /mnt/hda7/devmount  -t  proc  none  /mnt/hda7/procchroot  /mnt/hda7/sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda

You will get read only file system errors otherwise.The -C option is not needed because the default chrooted /etc/lilo.conf is the one you want to use.I tested incorrectly the first time and then prepared the instructions without retesting from the livecd. [blush] :D This procedure has been tested from a livecd boot and a boot to PCLos on HD. Will now work from any booted linux distro on system.

This procedure has been tested from a livecd boot and a boot to PCLos on HD. Will now work from any booted linux distro on system.
Hi OwynI have 2 questions:Sould not the full chroot command be:
chroot /mnt/hda7 /usr/bin/env -i  HOME=/root TERM=$TERM PS1='\u:\w\$ ' \     PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin /bin/bash --login
That is what I learned in LFS . . . . Also it´s recommended to umount the previously mounted "/mnt/hda7/dev" and "/mnt/hda7/proc" . . . . for sure if you have used ext2, with journaled filesystems it´s not really needed but still . . . . as you reboot the Mandrake or SuSE it does not take care of unmounting the proc and dev filesystems of hda7 . . . Then:
The -C option because . . .
I see you using the -b option . . that does look right to me.:devil: Bruno

Well. What I posted worked. :devil: Not sure if there would have been other problems if I had not rebooted immediately after installing lilo to test the updated menu.PS: I think we have jumped threads.

Rons,It will take place 1 in the series of distro´s I have and put Mandrake to place 2. I will buy packed Texstar Power Pack and only do the download version of Mandrake. . . . . Texstar used to be synonymous for Mandrake, Mandrake misses it´s right arm without Texstar . . . . If Texstar would set up real competition for Mandrake, he would win place 1 on Distrowatch in no time.B) Bruno
I have done that...I replaced my Drake w/PCLinuxOS...Yeah I know it's PV4 but I like it..I seems there are upstarts everywhere. Mepis and Knoppix have made installing and using Debian less of a Task. Texstar has taken Drake to a needed level...The "Main Distros" really need to pay attention, that is how you get linux to the desktop! and top ranked distros as Bruno says. :devil:

I am curious for anyone that has done a hard drive install with this distro - is it faster than the live cd - this is the slowest live cd I have ever seen, which is understandable, but I am curious how the hard drive install performs. I am seriously thinking about installing this, but I don't know if I can go back to rpm. The debian package manager is much nicer