• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Owyn

• BarryB

• quint

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:Curious where all those files were copied to, I tried booting LFS . . . . . . . . . . it´s still there ! . . . And so is RedHat, SuSE, DamnSmall, RC2 and Mandrake 9.2 . . . . . beats me where all those files are gone to because hda7 is empty !Anyway, happy that LFS is still there . . . . >_< :DB) Bruno

Mmm.. if someone could be sooo kind to post a screenshot ...
Hope you all do not think I am being untruthful...have not had a single problem. Here's a screenshot:FSLO-1070400429-813090.jpgHope you all have best of fortune...

Yikes...I believe hda5 has the /..but I screwed up (sorta) place boot on /..didn't want to reboot so I could make a boot disk..it rebooted any way...can I mount hda5 and make a boot disk?

Sound is working...... however, MIDI's are still being synth'ed in the CPU, and not on the sound card like they are supposed to be. I don't know how to change that though.

Adam . . just curious . . is this Live or installed on HD ?No . . stop . . don´t tell me . . . I´m still struggling with the HD install . . . . :w00t: :huh::huh: Bruno

YES YES YES !!! Posting from the HD install right now !! ( it took only 4 more times :w00t: )I finaly can go to sleep . . . it's done !

[bruno@uranus bruno]$ uname -r2.4.22-21.tmb.2mdk[bruno@uranus bruno]$

:huh: Bruno

Nice work Barry . . I knew you would follow close . . . :lol: :DFor info to all: What i finally did so it worked,1) Reformatted the partition to ReiserFS ( Because during the failing boots it kept looking for a ReiserFS partition ?? )2) Burned a new CD on high quality super expensive CD-R ( previous one was burned on good value CD-R )3) After install before booting cleared out the fstab from all the not needed partitions ( 14 )After that the first attempt was successful ! ;):lol: Bruno

well tonight I get to fix lilo...I really shouldn't do these things when I'm tired. ;) ...(but other than that it's great...) :lol: :o .......Side note...saw first ultrasound of Baby..we are either having a boy..a girl..or a tadpole....and from what i saw Tadpole... ;) :lol: :o :P ;)

Barry,Because Quint posted his lilo entries, and because that came in handy, I will post mine as well because they are slightly different:

image=/boot/texstar/vmlinuz-2.4.22-21.tmb.2mdk        label="Texstar"        root=/dev/hda7        initrd=/boot/texstar/initrd-2.4.22-21.tmb.2mdk.img        append="devfs=mount splash=silent hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht"        vga=788        read-only

You will see there is a slight difference in the append line . . . . ;) Just see what works best for you. EDIT: #$@! there is NO difference . . . I guess I was just too tired last night . . . .

.and from what i saw Tadpole.
That will be the first Tadpole with a Penguin name then . . . :o ;) :P :lol: :lol: ;) Bruno

Thanks for the lilo look...actually the only part I goofed up was adding Mepis...Drake, and OSlinux happy..hmmm a tadpole w/ a penguin name...I Like!!! ;) :lol: :P :o :lol: ;)

1) Reformatted the partition to ReiserFS ( Because during the failing boots it kept looking for a ReiserFS partition ?? )B) Bruno
I managed to install everything successfully but when I came to the reboot bit all I got was a lot of "99's" Would converting to the ReiserFS solve my problem?Second question, how do I do that? because neither of my partition programmes include ReiserFS in their list of goodies?I just love the PC Linux. I was most impressed by the number of plugins included with the Mozilla installation. I can't wait for the release version.Ozgeek

Hi OzgeekJust boot PC Linux OS live and go to the "Master Control Center" . . . then "Mount Points" > "Diskdrake". . there you have the Mandrake Partition tools . . . You click on the partition first . . choose "umount" and then "troggle to expert mode" . . that will give you the option "type" . . there you can select ReiserFS and let it format in ReiserFS . . The Mandrake Partition tool is very easy to work with . . . B) BrunoPS: Post updated to exact wordings . .PS2: I had the 9999 too at certain point before Reiser and the quality CD-R

Edited by Bruno

Thanks, Bruno, your advice solved that problem.Now I'm working on a few others. Ain't Linux grand - it really gives the old grey cells a good workout :w00t:

You´re welcome ozgeek !And yes the old grey cells would have been very lazy by now if we did not have Linux . . . LOL :w00t: :) :) Bruno

Hi all. Sorry for the delay in getting back but I have been busy back in MS land for the last two days. Emergency fixes for clients.Have just finished catching up on PCLos/mklivecd problems.There is a major bug in the install script. /etc was copied to the hd disk from the wrong location. It copied the settings from the host system which built the ISO instead of the detected settings from PCLos on the running system. Causes lots of errors unless the target system was close to Texstar's system. I kluged a fix on my system by copying /etc from the running PCLos livecd to the PCLos hd partition.Another problem caused install errors if the target partition was Ext2. Ext3 works. Not sure why you needed ReiserFS Bruno.lilo is also confused on a multi-boot system. The following describes how I got hdinstall to work.

FYI: I managed to kluge the Preview 4 hd install as follows on amulti-boot test system (XP, Mdk92 (hda7), lilo on MBR /dev/hda)1)Boot and login livecd as root.2)Use diskdrake to create Ext3 partition (hda8 in my case)3)Run install with / to hda8 and using existing swap file4)Select lilo to partition5)Do not reboot after install6)From console# Fix /mnt/hda8/etccd /mnt/hda8mv etc etc.oldcp -a /etc etccp etc.old/fstab etc/fstab# Set up lilomkdir /mnt/hda7/boot/pclinuxoscd /mnt/hda8/bootcp initrd* /mnt/hda7/boot/pclinuxoscp vmlinuz* /mnt/hda7/boot/pclinuxos# Edit lilo. Cd Burner on hdd.cd /mnt/hda7/etcvi lilo.confIn vi added the following to lilo.confimage=/boot/pclinuxos/vmlinuz        label="pclinuxos"        root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/boot/pclinuxos/initrd.img        append="devfs=mount acpi=ht hdd=ide-scsi splash=silent"        vga=788        read-only# Install lilo/sbin/lilo -C /mnt/hda7/etc/lilo.conf -b /dev/hdaRebooted, removed cd, selected pclinuxos. boot now works ok.

Sound is working...... however, MIDI's are still being synth'ed in the CPU, and not on the sound card like they are supposed to be. I don't know how to change that though.
Adam. Did you have the same problem with Mandrake 9.2? I noticed that you had reported the same problem in Suse.

Thanks Owyn, for the install info . . . . . shows why we had all these troubles . . :w00t: :D

/sbin/lilo -C /mnt/hda7/etc/lilo.conf -b /dev/hda

This is a very clever one though ! Have to remember that one !B) Bruno

Thanks Owyn, for the install info . . . . . shows why we had all these troubles . . B) :D

Would I be correct to assume this would enable me to edit/save/write my Mandrake LILO, from any partition? B) If so... :w00t:

Thanks Owyn, for the install info . . . . . shows why we had all these troubles . . B) :D

Would I be correct to assume this would enable me to edit/save/write my Mandrake LILO, from any partition? B) If so... :w00t:
Correct. In theory, however, I did it from PCLos which uses the same version of lilo as Mdk92. You might need to run lilo from your Mandrake partition. eg. in my case it would have been "/mnt/hda7/sbin/lilo ....".

Correct. In theory, however, I did it from PCLos which uses the same version of lilo as Mdk92. You might need to run lilo from your Mandrake partition. eg. in my case it would have been "/mnt/hda7/sbin/lilo ....".
Points understood - will now have to re-boot alot less. :w00t:

Adam. Did you have the same problem with Mandrake 9.2? I noticed that you had reported the same problem in Suse.
The reason I was tipped off about the MIDI was from my experience with Suse asking to load my soundfonts, then not using them. :w00t: Naturally, I tested the MIDI capabilities in PCL2k4 when it was booted.

Forgot to mention. There is a sort of an Easter Egg in PCLos. Xmms is v1.2.8 with lots of improvements over 1.2.7, but, it also includes a special patch to let you loop a section of a track.To use this press "a" to mark the start of a section and press "a" again to mark the end of the section. Xmms will now play/loop the marked section until either "a" is pressed again to mark the beginning of a new section or "s" is pressed to start back into normal play mode.Handy for the musician or whatever in you that wants to get the details of a section.