My Adventures w/ Arch Linux (Feb 2011)

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

...UPDATES...UPDATES...UPDATES...Well, I got CUPS and the printer going. I also fixed the issue I was having where FF would migrate to TB's workspace whenever I clicked on a link in TB. That was annoying. All better now, though. Umm... I'm don't think I've fixed the sound mixer issue yet, but I'm tired. I'm going to beddy-bye now.G'night all...P.S. I think I'm going to develop a new alter ego... the Diurnal Archer. Ooooh! And a reason to create another blog, huh? :w00t:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• securitybreach

• ChipDoc

• ichase

P.S. I think I'm going to develop a new alter ego... the Diurnal Archer. Ooooh! And a reason to create another blog, huh? :(
You could rest your right-brain side in the daytime and your left-brain side at night!That way, no matter what time it was, you'd always be either half asleep or half awake! :w00t:

securitybreach
Anyway.... and UPDATE... UPDATE... UPDATE....I was setting up my printer with CUPS and decided to reboot. When Arch came back up, I didn't have any networking. WTF? :w00t: I'm t-shooting now. Off I go...
Did you add your networking device to /etc/rc.conf? For dhcp:
#Static IP example#eth0="eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"eth0="dhcp"INTERFACES=(eth0)# Routes to start at boot-up (in this order)# Declare each route then list in ROUTES# - prefix an entry in ROUTES with a ! to disable it#gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"ROUTES=(!gateway)
As far as the sound, maybe https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=69853 ?

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. It's in there, J. I'll have a second look, though. The funny thing is that it was working fine for most of the day. It only crapped out when I rebooted after trying to set up CUPS. Maybe I boogered up my DAEMONS in rc.conf. I'll check on it later. I'm in Slack right now taking care of regular business.Also, I'm not sure why, but there seems to be some buggy stability issue going on with Arch. I kinda' remember having this happen in a previous install a couple years ago. I'm going to have to review my notes to see if I wrote anything about it. Settings seem to be changing on their own... Xfce's logout screen changes, audio settings are flubbed up, the networking issue above, etc. Myeh... it was late. I was tired. I'll give it a fresh looksee in a little while. Later...P.S. Just a bit of spit and polish with Arch (and eliminating the few bugaboos I'm experiencing) and I'll have it the way I need it. It hasn't been a very painful experience at all; definitely NOT a Gentoo kinda' thing (sorry, trigggl :) ).

V.T. Eric Layton

Ain't it always, Colin. :)Anywho... I think I've got it, by Jove! It seems that my rc.conf DAEMONS were boogering up the works. I redid them completely. They now look like this:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs dbus crond @alsa @cups @sensors @ntpd)

Everything (including the ALSA settings) seemed to have started up fine on the last reboot. The network comes up OK without the rc.local hack now, too. Bugginess is gone. Ahhh... *crossing fingers* I think we're all set. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

SUCCESS! Arch is officially my secondary operating system. It's installed, debugged, and fully customized. Here's a look:archxfceshot02.th.pngand the matching theme-shot:archxfcethemeshot02.th.png

securitybreach
SUCCESS! Arch is officially my secondary operating system. It's installed, debugged, and fully customized. Here's a look:archxfceshot02.th.pngand the matching theme-shot:archxfcethemeshot02.th.png
Wow, looks very nice!!!! BTW I like that wallpaper. Did you make it or what? Also, is there a dark version available.

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, yaourt seems to be working. I just installed ttf-ms-fonts with it. :)Your tutorial is actually better for installing Yaourt than the one at the Yaourt site.Next question for you, Josh...Is sudo necessary in Arch. I never use it in Slack, but Arch seems to not like it when I do things with root. :thumbsup:

securitybreach
OK, yaourt seems to be working. I just installed ttf-ms-fonts with it. :)Your tutorial is actually better for installing Yaourt than the one at the Yaourt site.Next question for you, Josh...Is sudo necessary in Arch. I never use it in Slack, but Arch seems to not like it when I do things with root. :(
Not at all. I would suggest against using sudo but we already know the reasons :thumbsup: B)What are you trying to do that Arch does not like? If you mean yaourt, then the warning is because it is not safe to build an application as root and sudo would give the same response.

securitybreach
Hmm... I'm so used to running Slackpkg and Pacman as root that I just assumed you had to run Yaourt as root.
With Yaourt, you build as user and when done building, you install as root.Sort of like when you do a ./configure && make as user and then make install as root

securitybreach
*yawn* Is it really that dangerous to build as root on your own system? I wonder.
Well actually it could be, since theoretically the developer's repository (for the actual app and not Arch) could be malicious or have other issues. If you look at an AUR's PKGBUILD, you will notice that the package is fetched from the actual developers servers(repository) so it is better to do that as a regular user and not root. For instance:
Name : conky-cliVersion : 1.8.1-2# Maintainer: Dave Reisner # Contributor: Karol Cichy pkgname=conky-clipkgver=1.8.1pkgrel=2pkgdesc="Conky command line, without X11 dependencies"arch=('i686' 'x86_64')url="http://conky.sourceforge.net/"license="custom"provides=('conky')conflicts=('conky')depends=('ncurses')source=("http://downloads.sourceforge.net/conky/conky-$pkgver.tar.gz")md5sums=('9b330f7d001cbd9f818e485defc19029')build() { cd "$srcdir/conky-$pkgver" ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --disable-lua --disable-x11 \ --disable-double-buffer --disable-xdamage --disable-own-window \ --disable-xft --disable-hddtemp --disable-portmon make}package() { cd "$srcdir/conky-$pkgver" make DESTDIR="$pkgdir" install install -D -m644 COPYING "$pkgdir"/usr/share/licenses/conky/LICENSE

V.T. Eric Layton

AH! I understand now. It's dangerous to build AUR stuff as root. Got it. I'll have to remember that next time. I've only installed three things from AUR (Dropbox, Yaourt, and ttf-ms-fonts). I think they were all OK, though. Thanks for the learning. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, some additional stuff...+ installed and set up (as per Arch Wiki) wicd as my network manager in Arch (I use it in Slack also)+ installed gucharmap (character selector app for the side panel)All's well. :)I still wish I could figure out how to hide all the unmounted partitions in Thunar, though. B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah... I've used the 10ignore-disks method in other distros to eliminate those unwanted partitions from being visible in Thunar. Unfortunately, that is a HAL configuration. I'm not running HAL in Arch (dbus only). Thanks for trying, though. :' /> I'll probably just learn to live with it.Well, now that Arch is fully functional, I'll be completely prepared to install the newest Slack when it comes out. I'll have Arch as a backup just in case the Slack installation goes "Gentoo" on me. :' />