Show us your bootchart.

sunrat

... but when I went into /var/log/bootchart to cut and paste the path, there it was!
So it got created when you booted up... works like it is supposed to work. :thumbsup:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• securitybreach

• ChipDoc

• sunrat

• ichase

Yep, I tested it by rebooting and a second one popped right up. Not sure why it didn't do it the first time, but I suspect there's no need to worry about it!

Well that was a complete failure. I downloaded the bootchart tarball. Extracted it which created a folder called bootchart-9.0 I read the install file:

First, uninstall any previous bootchart version.Run the install.sh script for installing bootchartd. It will copy thenecessary files and (if grubby is available) automatically add a GRUB/LILOentry to enable bootchart logging.If grubby is not available the boot loader configuration needs to be changedmanually. Add a new boot loader entry and modify the kernel command line toinclude "init=/sbin/bootchartd". Example for GRUB (/boot/grub/menu.lst):
I right click the install.sh file and select execute. Nothing appears to happen, figured it was doing something in the backround.So per the instructions I add init=/sbin/bootchartd to the grub entry. Reboot and it goes into kernel panic??? Could it be a grub2 issue?Have to work on it more later.All the best,Ian

I right click the install.sh file and select execute. Nothing appears to happen, figured it was doing something in the backround.
You will have to run that as root. cd to the directory with the script.
su./install.sh

securitybreach
Well that was a complete failure. I downloaded the bootchart tarball. Extracted it which created a folder called bootchart-9.0 I read the install file:I right click the install.sh file and select execute. Nothing appears to happen, figured it was doing something in the backround.So per the instructions I add init=/sbin/bootchartd to the grub entry. Reboot and it goes into kernel panic??? Could it be a grub2 issue?Have to work on it more later.All the best,Ian
OK what distro are you trying this with? Secondly, right clicking/marking the package as executable does nothing except make it so you can execute the file. This can also be done easily in the console using:
chmod +x filename

Also this package is available for most all distros so manually installing it may not be needed. Not all distros need the init=/sbin/bootchard entry. For instance, on Ubuntu, you do not need to edit you grub entry as it runs automatically when you install the package and reboot.

Easily installed bootchart from the repos in Arch.Added init=/sbin/bootchartd to the grub menu for Arch.When I go to /var/log I see bootchart.tgzI extracted it and saw this:

[ichase@ichase ~]$ tar xvzf /var/log/bootchart.tgzheaderproc_diskstats.logproc_ps.logproc_stat.log[ichase@ichase ~]$

Don't see any .png file. When I select bootchart at terminal it states

[ichase@ichase ~]$ bootchartbash: bootchart: command not found[ichase@ichase ~]$

where does it produce the .png file?Last post I had was trying to run it in Crunch Bang.All the best,Ian

Edited by ichase

securitybreach
Easily installed bootchart from the repos in Arch.Added init=/sbin/bootchartd to the grub menu for Arch.Ian
Well after you boot the entry with init=/sbin/bootchartd. Then just run bootchart-render.This will put the png file in your /home/user directory. Then reboot and start the normal boot entry.

Well after you boot the entry with init=/sbin/bootchartd. Then just run bootchart-render.This will put the png file in your /home/user directory. Then reboot and start the normal boot entry.
I really do not know what you are talking about Josh. What do you mean run bootchart-render after adding init=/sbin/bootchartd? I am obviously doing something wrong considering I can't get a bootchart on either Crunch bang or Arch. Have not even tried PCLOS or Mandy. In reading the Dedoimedo tutorial, this should be a piece of cake. Download the program, add init=/sbin/bootchartd to your grub entry and boot. Retrieve the .png file from /var/log/bootchart.I think I really have more important things to do then fustrate myself with this. :D Even though, I like the data that comes from this and think it can be helpful in setting up your system for maximum performance.Hope everyone had a great weekend.All the best,Ian

It works differently in different distros. Apparently Ubuntu does the GRUB entry when it installs the package and automatically makes the .png image. In Arch you need to add the entry to the GRUB kernel line and run bootchart-render in a terminal to make the image. In Debian I have to add the GRUB kernel line and run bootchart to make the image. Confusing, huh? :D

It works differently in different distros. Apparently Ubuntu does the GRUB entry when it installs the package and automatically makes the .png image. In Arch you need to add the entry to the GRUB kernel line and run bootchart-render in a terminal to make the image. In Debian I have to add the GRUB kernel line and run bootchart to make the image. Confusing, huh? :D
After adding the appropriate line to the grub entry, I attempted to run bootchart-render from the terminal as both user and as root. Both came back with bootchart-render not recognized as a command. I'm paraphrasing because I don't have the lappy with me at the moment.Ian

securitybreach
I really do not know what you are talking about Josh. What do you mean run bootchart-render after adding init=/sbin/bootchartd? I am obviously doing something wrong considering I can't get a bootchart on either Crunch bang or Arch. Have not even tried PCLOS or Mandy. In reading the Dedoimedo tutorial, this should be a piece of cake. Download the program, add init=/sbin/bootchartd to your grub entry and boot. Retrieve the .png file from /var/log/bootchart.I think I really have more important things to do then fustrate myself with this. :D Even though, I like the data that comes from this and think it can be helpful in setting up your system for maximum performance.Hope everyone had a great weekend.All the best,Ian
Try the wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BootchartIt is simple, oipen up your /boot/grub/menu.lst as root and copy your Arch entry. Then paste it at the bottom and add init=/sbin/bootchartd at the end of your kernel line. Save and run grub-update /dev/sda (or whatever disk you use). Then choose that entry on boot, when you are done booting type:
bootchart-render

in a folder to which you have write access. This will generate a 'bootchart.png' image with your chart. You'll have to have a Java runtime installed and properly set up before you can do this.

Well, that would work great if I had Arch hosting grub. :D I have #! hosting, which started out as legacy grub but once the update to Statler was performed it's now Grub2. It is no big deal, I appreciate your help. It's not worth the fustration. :D I need to move on to more important things in my Linux journey which in turn may grant me the wisdom to be able to get this to work later on down the line. :)All the best,Ian

• 2 weeks later...

This is with my new OCZ Vertex2 120GB SSD. A bit faster than the old one. :) B) Note it's also a fresh installation and a bit leaner than the old system, which was alive for about 2 years. 10 second boot compared to 17 sec on the old hard drive system. :w00t: bootchart.th.pngUploaded with ImageShack.usAlso I had to run

bootchart -f png

to generate the png image, which was different to last time I ran it.

securitybreach
Wow!! 10 second boot time. Those Solid State Hard drives are really something else. B)
Man I really need to buy one (or three) of those SSD drives after the move.

Taking ages for me to boot up. Hard to understand why it takes ages though :)so im hoping the "experts" here can see if anything is taking too long to start/run and let me know :thumbsup: bootchartb.th.pngUploaded with ImageShack.usI do not use any speedup stuff at all. Like pre-read preload or what the applications called :">

securitybreach
Taking ages for me to boot up. Hard to understand why it takes ages though :)so im hoping the "experts" here can see if anything is taking too long to start/run and let me know :thumbsup: bootchartb.th.pngUploaded with ImageShack.usI do not use any speedup stuff at all. Like pre-read preload or what the applications called :' />
Hmm dunno Tomas, your core2duo should be a lot faster than that. I also do not use any pre-loads or anything else. Just a normal boot.

Hmm dunno Tomas, your core2duo should be a lot faster than that. I also do not use any pre-loads or anything else. Just a normal boot.
I agree, will try to get systemd in and probably will do wonders in booting computer up :"> As usual, i want it all, will end up with a broken computer and need to use rescue mode and rollback :thumbsup:

securitybreach
I agree, will try to get systemd in and probably will do wonders in booting computer up :' /> As usual, i want it all, will end up with a broken computer and need to use rescue mode and rollback :thumbsup:
Yeah that happens to us Geeks sometimes. Good thing we backup our data (or atleast we should)

Taking ages for me to boot up. Hard to understand why it takes ages though :)so im hoping the "experts" here can see if anything is taking too long to start/run and let me know :">
I'm no expert, but i see you are running a lot more things than I. You have plymouth, network-manager and wpa-supplicant which all seem to take a while. Mine has no bootsplash and just wired network started with ifup. I guess yours is a laptop? Note the maximum disk throughput, 22 MB/s compared to my 79MB/s.You also have some servers, mta and libvirt starting.Also note my bootchart doesn't include KDE start. That takes an extra two and a bit seconds. :)I think that in this thread, we'd all have to be running exactly the same OS to have completely meaningful comparisons. (I suggest everyone install aptosid kde-lite. :thumbsup: )

• 7 months later...
securitybreach

Well I just checked bootchart again and somehow I managed to shave another 3 seconds off of my boot time. I am @ 16 seconds now:

f47d52161430476.jpg

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm sure it's easy to install in Arch (probably in the repos just waiting for me), but in Slack I'd have to install via a SlackBuild which would also require jdk and apache-ant as dependencies. *yawn* I don't feel like doing that right now, so I'll just say that my system boots up fast enough for me. ;)

Could never get bootchart to work when I tried after the post was originally started. My boot time on my lappy is much faster than the desktop. That much I do know. But I also don't boot the desktop all that often so I guess in the grand scheme of things it does not matter to much to me. But must say, I am VERY impressed with 10 and 16 second boot times. I definitely know neither the desktop or lappy are even remotely close to those numbers. ;)

I hear the Solid State drives boot REALLY fast.

Could never get bootchart to work when I tried after the post was originally started. My boot time on my lappy is much faster than the desktop. That much I do know. But I also don't boot the desktop all that often so I guess in the grand scheme of things it does not matter to much to me. But must say, I am VERY impressed with 10 and 16 second boot times. I definitely know neither the desktop or lappy are even remotely close to those numbers. ;)

I'm kinda in the same boat. I tried to set it up when this thread was first starting, but couldn't.

And, yes, the ssd's are really fast. I have a Corsair Force series SATA II drive as my boot drive (not very new and not a real speed demon as these things go) and it is much faster to boot all the way to the KDE desktop than the hdd it replaced. If I remember correctly, the ssd shaved something like 40 seconds off my total boot time to the KDE desktop. And I thought it was pretty alright before.

But must say, I am VERY impressed with 10 and 16 second boot times. I definitely know neither the desktop or lappy are even remotely close to those numbers. ;)

SSD (OCZ Vertex2 120GB) is how I got 10 seconds, whereas securitybreach is still using those old-fashioned spinny things. :D I think my best from a normal HD was 18 seconds, so 16 is pretty impressive.

I should check again as I've removed a few things from boot startup since then, like cups and sane and bluetooth which I don't use.