E17 or Enlightenment easter eggs.

abarbarian

sunrat, I'll be waiting for a play by play if you install it to your netbook. What model do you have again?
EeePC900. It's 3 years old now, which is positively ancient in netbook terms. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone running E17 on their Arch set up then this package is worht a install,http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=7896Not all of the themes work 100% however there are a lot of them and if you take the time to view some of them you will get to see some of the potential that lies within the E17 framework.I particularly like the Steampunk. Dali has some nice touches as does Gant,Grunge,Pink_Apple and A-Mare_Nostrum.Enjoy :)

Cluttermagnet

After hearing mention of Bodhi Linux, something told me to give this one a try. I do love minimalist distros. I'm running it (v1.0.0) in a live CD session right now, using the stock browser (forget the name). Bodhi found everything on this HP laptop, near as I can tell (HP/Compaq nc6120). I like it! Will be playing with this the next few days. I'm especially interested to see how my 600MHz P3 Coppermine handles this OS.

Glad you gave it a try! For those afraid to play with "pre release" or "Release candidate" software our first stable release with Bodhi Linux is set for this coming weekend.Cheers,~Jeff
BTW how do you pronounce "Bodhi"? I can think of at least four different ways......but I'm guessing "bow-dee"? ("bow" as in "bow and arrow") Edited by Cluttermagnet

BTW how do you pronounce "Bodhi"? I can think of at least four different ways......but I'm guessing "bow-dee"? ("bow" as in "bow and arrow")
Thats how I normally say it yes, you are free to call it whatever you like though :thumbsup:~Jeff

• 4 weeks later...
abarbarian

The date and calendar gadget has puzzled me for a while. If you mouse over the gadget showing the date you get a calendar appearing at the side showing little arrows for going back and forward a month.Trouble is move the mouse over to the calendar to change the month and it disappears. I thought this was a glitch, but I was wrong. If you hover the mouse over the date gadget to bring up the calendar you then have to left click the mouse and the calendar stays put allowing you to move the mouse over to change the month etc.Bet every one knew that and I'm the last person in the world to discover this amazing fact. :lol:

• 5 months later...

I wonder if Rasterman would consider me for the post of promotions geek for E17. Just happens that I have plenty of spare time at the moment. :teehee:

• 4 weeks later...

Nice video with some tips showing of E17. the guy has just started playing with E17 so it is a bit umm and err but he gives some good tips and it shows what E 17 is capable of doing. :thumbsup:

securitybreach
Nice video with some tips showing of E17. the guy has just started playing with E17 so it is a bit umm and err but he gives some good tips and it shows what E 17 is capable of doing. :thumbsup:

Nice video, watching it now :thumbsup:

securitybreach
Watched the video this morning. Very nice.

I've been distracted all day. Daydreaming of ArchLinux with e17 on my HP 4G TouchPad. Simply irresistable!

Touchpad 4G????

I knew they were talking about a 4G version but I thought that it had never been released. I have the 32gb model myself but no 4G, just wifi (well 4G if I wifi-tether using my smartphone's net).

The TouchPad 4G was released in very small quantities. Mostly in CA through HP and Palm corporate stores, a few at AT&T stores. The slot which contains device ID on your unit actually holds a GSM sim card on these.

There are 'issues' with having one. It uses a different radio chip which has WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, and Cellular in one so it requires different firmware and updates. HP is slow to release updates which lag behind the base models by 3 -4 weeks so far. Fortunately, RWhitby and the crew at WebOSInternals have them and are regularly developing for it and prying updates out of HP/alm to keep us up to date.

securitybreach

Ah ok :thumbsup:

Can you still dual boot Android on your model?

Sorry to get off topic but I wanted to mention that I tested the battery life under WebOS and it took 41 hours to go from 90% to 10% charge. Not too bad B)

Android on the other hand will likely only get 8 or 10 hours. I am testing it now but it is only in Alpha (version 3), so I would not expect it to be as good as webos yet.

Using Moboot allows us to boot WebOS, Android, and Linux. I had to wait to dual-boot until Moboot got to version 0.3.4 because it soft bricked the device at the bootloader with previous versions.

Yes, battery life under Android is very short. Part of that is the problem with WiFi. CM7 a3 has improved it some, but it has a long way to go yet. At least the sleep-of-death wifi problem is getting under control.

I use a Preware app called Cyboot to set reboot options under WebOS, check it out it works well. As does most everything from Preware.

Feel free to move these HP TP comments to the other thread about e17 on TP.

securitybreach

I use the same thing, thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

A lot of the battery issues comes from the fact that Alpha 3 still has the phone functions built in so the Cell Standby is still draining the battery searching for a signal that does not exist.

The comments are fine but we should discuss this further in the Mobility forum. Also, where is this E17 on TP thread you are talking about?

• 7 months later...

http://e17releasemanager.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/10/

E17 is finally gearing up for release. Seriously, we’re doing it. I’m doing it.

E17 has likely broken many records with regard to software development by now,

I can definitely assure readers that there has never been a time closer to its release than right now. Except now. And now.

Yes E17 should shortly have a stable release. :clap:

I posted here just in case it is an easter egg. :whistling:

• 5 months later...

http://www.enlightenment.org/

Hurray what a Christmas present :th_wavesmile:

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:30 PM This release of E17 is also known as "The Hulk" for obvious reasons.

Dec 14, 2012 at 04:30 PM This beta release of E17, LUCKY RUBBER DUCKY, has a much better name than what was originally proposed.

By gum it may have taken these guys ten years or so to get in the starting blocks but by 'eck do they move once fired up. Got to love the names of the releases.

I just instaled E 17 which has moved from the AUR and is now in the official package lists for Arch. :breakfast:

Looks good. Seems very smooth. Hurray :blissysmile:

Now if only I could work out how to get icons for me apps in the ibar. I keep getting "permission errors". Tried various different ways btu seem to be banging me head against a brick wall. Any ideas folks. :thudna5:

• 1 month later...

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2013/01/22/the-many-profiles-of-enlightenments-e17/

A feature I like plenty is Profiles, which, in E-speak, is a tool that allows you to customize the loading and positioning of desktop components – themes, modules, fonts, gadgets, icon sets, and more …

Neat little article showing the versitility of this most excellent software. :breakfast:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a neat feature in E17 I found by accident.

Left click on the desktop gives you

fPkj7Pl.jpg

access to the main menu. Which is neat as you can click anywhere on the desktop. If you right click anywhere on the desktop you get only your FAVOURITES showing. Now that is neat.

pkQ3qD0.jpg

This rather neat feature saves you the trouble of having to drill down through menus.

To accomplish this when you have the program open, right click on its tab on the shelf and find ADD TO FAVOURITES MENU. This new entry will not show up straight away. It shows up after a reboot or you can refresh the running desktop by, left click>Enlightenment>Restart. :breakfast:

Now if only I could work out how to get icons for me apps in the ibar. I keep getting "permission errors". Tried various different ways but seem to be banging me head against a brick wall. Any ideas folks. :thudna5:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

Here is a neat feature in E17 I found by accident.

Left click on the desktop gives you access to the main menu. Which is neat as you can click anywhere on the desktop. If you right click anywhere on the desktop you get only your FAVOURITES showing. Now that is neat.

I didn't know there was any other way to do it. :)

Now if only I could work out how to get icons for me apps in the ibar. I keep getting "permission errors". Tried various different ways but seem to be banging me head against a brick wall. Any ideas folks. :thudna5:

Settings Panel>Apps>iBar Applications - works for me to add or remove from the iBar.

Sunrat I should haave said this

Now if only I could work out how to get icons for me apps in the ibar. I keep getting "permission errors". Tried various different ways btu seem to be banging me head against a brick wall. Any ideas folks. :thudna5:

I have the right sized icons and I put them in the right folder. I tell E that I have the icon and where it lives and E tells me I do not have permission to use certain folders. Hence no icon fo rme program. I'll have to make a proper note of the error message.

:'(