Problems w/ SUSE 9.0 install

cyberstorm

I'm trying to install SUSE Personal 9.0. I went through the entire install. It detected my on-board video, the only thing it didn't detect was the on-board NIC. It completed, I hit the finish button, it restarts, asks if I wanted to run Windows or Linux, I choose Linux and it goes through that screen where its detecting everything then I get a black screen w/ nothing. At first I thought it was because I'm using a KVM but I tried it on another system w/ a direct connection to the monitor and still same results. I can still load into Windows w/ no problem. I attempted to reinstall Linux again and it alerted me that Linux was already installed so I'm assuming its installed but as I type this I'm redoing the install. Any suggestions would greatly help, I'm anxious to get this installed. Thanks

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cyberstorm

• Bruno

• teacher

• linuxdude32

Hi cyberstormWelcome to the All Thing Linux Forum !I´m not a SuSE expert but I think that you missed the monitor settings during install . . I know there is a way to test them before you proceed . . . videocard and monitor are two different setups.Also don´t set it up to automatically login in KDE . . . if you can boot to the text-console we could try a few commands to see what´s cookin´ . . . But as I said . . I´m no Suse expert, and there are a few members around here that are . . so I will leave you over to them ;);) Bruno

The only thing that I saw pertaining to the monitor was VESA 1024X768 @ 60Hz, the second time I installed the software I set it to 800X600. Not sure if I was supposed to change anything else or get it to detect the exact monitor manufacturer and I was supposed to pick it from a list? Linux is new to me and I'm anxious to dive right in and give it a try. Thanks for the help.

But the question is . . . does it boot okay now ? . . . . 800x600 is no problem you can always change that after in Yast . . but you first want to have a GUI.:lol: Bruno

Welcome to the forums Cyberstorm,

Not sure if I was supposed to change anything else or get it to detect the exact monitor manufacturer and I was supposed to pick it from a list? Linux is new to me and I'm anxious to dive right in and give it a try.
Well, I hope you didn't expect the installer to do all things by itself? During install, you'll get a screen, sort of a summary screen, in where you have to set different options according to your hardware. It's a little different from other installers in linux fashion, in that it's sort of html coded, meaning it's expecting you to click on the headers of each mentioned section. That will open a new screen in where you can set the different options for that particular header section to your likings / hardware requirements. Clicking OK brings you back to the summary screen. You'll then have to go through each header section unless the summary screen shows you all options as they should be according to your liking / hardware requirements. When you now click the OK button in the summary screen, a new green colored little dialog appears with a last chance to bail out or start the actual install. Did you recognize anything of the above? This is how the install goes on 8.2 Personal which I'm running.Maybe you missed the options in the summary screen. If that's the case, just do a reinstall and see how that's going : remember the above though.If you knew the above already and changed the settings in the header sections, come back here and post some more info about your machine on which you try to install it and your monitor / display .
The only thing that I saw pertaining to the monitor wasVESA 1024X768 @ 60Hz,
Is your display a lcd or tft ?Maybe Linuxdude will detect this message and hop in, otherwise I'll be back on monday.

Hi cyberstormIf during the install you pick another monitor then detected you will get the chance to test it ( just remember which one it autodetected ) try a few random ones and see if any of the generic work . . flatpanel or CRT make a big difference too . . . then go back to the one it autodetected and run the test . . if the test comes out wrong you know that the autodetection did not do a good job and you will have to find the settings of another monitor that comes out of the test okay ( remember you can always change it again once you have a GUI )For example, I have SuSE on a system with a monitor that does only 600x800 in SuSE but gets bigger resolutions in every other distro I run on it . . . . originally I did set it at 1024x768 and got no GUI either, so had to set it back to 800x600 ;) ( a 17 inch compaq ! )Just try to run the tests during install . . so you won´t have to reinstall every time again if it fails.:lol: Bruno

In my case it did not detect my monitor, so it defaulted to VESA 1024x768 60Hz too. Bit I did know the exact specs of my monitor so I was able to correct the settings , refresh rates and that sort of things, but if that is the case too in your situation DON' T MESS WITH IT unless you know the exact specs of your display : otherwise you might harm your hardware.I'll have to quit now, it's 00.48 AM here. See you monday !

cyberstormLook on the back of your monitor . . . or look it up on the internet and get the type and refesh rates . . . makes it so much easier ( and safe like Striker said ) ;):lol: Bruno

Well, that seems to have worked. When it came to the final stage of picking a monitor, my monitor was one of the choices. I picked it from the list and (bam) I'm at the desktop. I thank you guys for all the support and stearing me in the right direction. There is one other thing I have to bug you about, :thumbsup: , I have an on-board NIC and it doesn't detect it. I tried just choosing Ethernet 0, but when I try to go on line using Konquerer it says no host found. When I look at the hardware setup it does say the name of the NIC in that list. Sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology. Any ideas please pass them on. Thanks once again.

There is one other thing I have to bug you about,  :thumbsup: , I have an on-board NIC and it doesn't detect it. I tried just choosing Ethernet 0, but when I try to go on line using Konquerer it says no host found. When I look at the hardware setup it does say the name of the NIC in that list. Sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology. Any ideas please pass them on. Thanks once again.
Glad you got the other problem figured out first. You guys are great and soooo fast! :thumbsup: Did you try using YaST afterward not just to detect the card but to setup your network settings? How do you access the Internet? Do you have a router that your computer connects to which then connects to the net or does your computer connect to a DSL modem?In the case of a connect to a router or a cable modem, the area you want it inside of YaST Control Center which you can access through Kmenu --> System --> YaST. Then select Network Devices and then Network Card. Check to see if there is a card already configured in your grey area. If there is you want to click Change, if not, then click Configure to add one. Choose whether to use static IP or configure through DHCP. I'm guessing DHCP isn't how you're setup or you already have a connection since SuSE tries to use this by default assuming it's detected your card correctly.If you're using DSL and connecting directly to a DSL modem, then you should use the 'DSL' option instead of 'Network Card' to configure your setup.If these options don't work, we'll need to jump back a step and make sure your hardware is supported but it probably is if you see it *and* it looks like it has detected it correctly.

Hi cyberstormGlad you got the monitor sorted out, and you can boot in a GUI now ! Nice work !As for your connection, follow Jason´s advice, he´s one of our most knowledgeble SuSE users. I´m sure he will get your connection UP !:thumbsup: Bruno

Did you try using YaST afterward not just to detect the card but to setup your network settings? How do you access the Internet? Do you have a router that your computer connects to which then connects to the net or does your computer connect to a DSL modem?
I use a cable modem connected to a router. The NIC on the system is an onboard NIC. I go to YAST, network card, it does its initialization, then I get the others(not detected). I looked at the specs of the motherboard on-online and it said "integrated MAC in MCP-D Realtek 8201 LPHY and in the manual it says ASUSTEK nforce Ethernet controller. I looked both of these up in the list and didn't see them. I then tried configure and set it to ETHERNET w/ device number 0 and still nothing. I started to choose different NICs from the list and the ones I chose didn't give any results.

Hi CyberstormWould you mind opening a "terminal" or "console" and typing at the prompt:$ lspci >lspci.txtThis will put a textfile in your home directory . . . . copy that file to a windows partition and reboot in windows ( because there you can be online ) and open the textfile and copy and paste it in your next post.B) Bruno

This will put a textfile in your home directory . . . . copy that file to a windows partition and reboot in windows ( because there you can be online ) and open the textfile and copy and paste it in your next post.
What will that textfile contain?

I created it and copied it but when I go to paste the Klipboard opens up and wants me to enter the file name, I do that and I don't see the file in the drive.

Is your windows partition mounted . . . . meaning can you see it from Linux ? . . . and where is it mounted ? ( EX: /mnt/win_c )Then I can give you the command to copy it there.B) Bruno

Is your windows partition mounted . . . . meaning can you see it from Linux ? . . . and where is it mounted ? ( EX: /mnt/win_c )
Where can I see that? On the desktop I can see 3 drives, C,D,E. When I click on them, the Location bar says file:/windows/c. I'm assuming Linux can see them or is mounting a totally different thing?

Then try:Again in a console:$ cp lspci.txt /windows/cIt´s an odd place for windows, but Suse does the things it´s own way ;)B) Bruno

I deleted the file and now when I try to recreate it again I get a PERMISSION DENIED message. I'm going back to WINDOWS B) Something that seems fairly simple turns out to be difficult.

Ok, file is in the home directory, trying to copy it from that directory to the Windows directory and having a problem w/ that now. What does the $ mean in a command? I'm assuming cp means to copy. So the command you are giving me says to copy the lspci.txt into /windows/c? I get a command not found message.

$ means you are an ordinary user. If you were a "superuser" or "su" it would change to a # instead. cp is the same as copy in windows. Windows uses copy while Linux uses the command cp! Don't try to change "cp" to "copy" or it won't work! You got it right what Bruno is trying to get you to do - to copy the file to the new directory.

what Bruno is trying to get you to do - to copy the file to the new directory
I'm trying those commands and I get an error of bash: $: command not found

Bruno, if you get tired of my problems just let me know B) ok, without the $ I get cp: missing destination fileother times it says can't create file, read-only file system

That means that you make a typing error:cp lspci.txt /windows/cThere are 2 spaces in that line . . ( and only 2 )* The first commandline tricks are always hard . . you will get used to it B)B) Bruno

When you get frustrated at this point just highlight the line like the one below that he has been trying to get you to do and simply paste it in your console and press enter:cp lspci.txt /windows/cIf that does not work then we have incorrectly identified how your C drive is labeled!