Problems w/ SUSE 9.0 install

cyberstorm

Cyber,We´re from all over the world, we have members in Australia, India, Quatar, Germany, Holland, UK, Costa Rica, Canada and of course all over the US . . . . Glad you found our forum, and I hope you will stick around !:thumbsup: Bruno

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cyberstorm

• Bruno

• teacher

• linuxdude32

Grabbing the PDF book
Barry . . it´s FUN, believe me . . . a lot of work, but sheer bliss ! ( And you end up learning/understanding a heap :thumbsup: )B) Bruno

Yeah, a global community , Cyberstorm :reread the thread : I believe it would be by far the quickest method to buy a NIC. That's what I did too, so look around in your area and get yourself one.You're online in linux in no time, but stick with those on SuSE's HCL or what Suse recognizes.

Grabbing the PDF book
Barry . . it´s FUN, believe me . . . a lot of work, but sheer bliss ! ( And you end up learning/understanding a heap B) ):) Bruno
Yeah..it seems the PDF book...is set-up like a step process....I'm thinking "Even I can do that" B) :thumbsup: B)

For what it's worth Bruno, I will probably be moving away from Mandrake soon. It seems a bit too much like windows. :)
Hi Adam . . . . Have I got the challenge for you . . . . . if Mandrake is too easy: try This one and if you need any help . . . . . . . . let me know ! B) B) Bruno
You got me there!! LOL!!I (of course) was talking about the UI and the overall feel of Drake 9.2. I think I like 9.1 a bit better. A bit more "linux-ey" :thumbsup: B)

BarryI used the html version . . let´s you copy and paste the scripts easily . . . . it does take a serious amount of time though !:thumbsup: Bruno

Bruno, Good thought...wanted to get the pdf so I could read it through first...don't know why but still like printed copies......thanks for the advise on HTML..that will ease some of the ...ummm..eh...FUN! :thumbsup:

Hey, hope I'm not being nosy, but where are you guys from? I've gotten great help and would like to know more about you guys if possible.
One easy way to figure out a lot about many of us is to click on our names. That will take you to our profiles that shows what info each has made available. If you have not figured it out yet, I am a school teacher in North Carolina at the beach!Welcome to the forum. You will find out we are a little wild and crazy around here too. We never get off track and stick with just the facts. B) :) :thumbsup: B)

I used the html version . . let´s you copy and paste the scripts easily . . . . it does take a serious amount of time though !
Very interesting reading. A great source of links to components.Found these links of interest (from the who doesn't want to read this section of the preface).http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/From-PowerUp-To-...ompt-HOWTO.htmlhttp://www.toms.net/rb/

The links you posted don´t give us much hope though . . only one reported it working under RedHat . . none under SuSE  :rolleyes:
I posted a link previously to a page on the nvidia website with drivers for SuSE, Red Hat, Mandrake, etc. After looking up the motherboard, it does appear to use an nforce chipset so nforce drivers should make it work, however I don't know if they're tied to a particular kernel version (probably) and therefore may only work in the exact distro versions they mention. Here's the link again:http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_...e_1.0-0248.htmlIf you haven't already, check out this page, cyberstorm! This may be your answer :) The SuSE link basically says nobody at SuSE has tried it and nobody has reported to them whether or not that motherboard does work. It doesn't say outight that it doesn't and the fact that someone has it working perfectly in Red Hat probably means it can work (Linux Compatible) site but the searches online suggest that a lot of people are having to really work to get it to work :blink: Another card would be easiest but be SURE to disable the onboard NIC for simplicity's sake. Your manual should tell you how to do this (probably in the BIOS).

but be SURE to disable the onboard NIC
I'll make sure to remember that, I tried disabling the ACPI in the BIOS and that didn't help detect the NIC card. My buddy is supposed to bring some NICs to work today. I'll give one of those a try. Hopefully I can get through this obstacle and get my hands dirty getting familiar w/ Linux.

I have the NICs in my hand that my boy from work brought in. I'll have to wait 'till I get out of work, then school to give them a try. He gave me an SMC, a Macromate, and 2 other cards. one says Delta that is a combodrive, and the last is an SMC ISA slot card.

Hi Cyber,If the SMC and Macromate are PCI, that would make me hopeful because those two are in "The List" . . . . keep us posted !:rolleyes: Bruno

:) It worked guys. Thanks for all the help. I used the SMC PCI NIC and it was easily recognized. I'm writing this from my Linux system right now. I can't thank you guys enough. Now what? :) I want to learn more and I know its going to take some time.I have the sights that were recommended and 2 books to read over but I need something a little basic and not too advance for my fresh Linux blood. I was wondering what browser or e-mail program you guys use? The version of Linux I'm using comes w/ KMAIL and Konquerer for a browser.

My favorite email program is Evolution. When that is not available I go to http://www.mozilla.org and download Thunderbird. My favorite browser is Galeon but I use Konqueror for a lot of my downloads. Try the different ones out and find what works for you. Firebird can be picked up as a browser from the same page. I use that frequently when Galeon is not available. :)

Guest LilBambi

Congrats cyberstorm! Personally, I use Thunderbird for email and Firebird and Mozilla for browsing.Firebird is a great quick loading browser and has many extensions.Mozilla is Firebird's big brother that is probably one of the best alternatives IMO. I know Julia loves Galeon and it is a very nice browser as well. It was my favorite till Firebird came out. I personally hate KMail and Konqueror but that's me LOL! :whistling:

Edited by LilBambi

CyberWelcome to the linux addiction group!!!! :D ..I'm not really addicted , but Julia thinks otherwise ( thinks I'm the token In denial case..)No Really congrats..glad you have it working.There are tons of site's for learning linux...You can google til you drop and I would rec also the linux tips here on this forum...and the forum..the guys and gals here have a way of answering question in a manner I can understand..Which is no lite task...So hang here.For mail I use evoluation...and Kmail.(Depends on which box..and distro) and I mostly use Konqueror..or Mozilliafirebird.One book would rec is RUTE (Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition) it can be downloaded in PDF...also check your SuSE and see what doc they provided. :whistling: Anyway..glad ya made it....

:lol: It worked guys. Thanks for all the help. I used the SMC PCI NIC and it was easily recognized. I'm writing this from my Linux system right now. I can't thank you guys enough. Now what?  :D I want to learn more and I know its going to take some time.I have the sights that were recommended and 2 books to read over but I need something a little basic and not too advance for my fresh Linux blood. I was wondering what browser or e-mail program you guys use? The version of Linux I'm using comes w/ KMAIL and Konquerer for a browser.
Congratulations!Glad you got it working, cyberstorm.I use Konqueror for browsing and kmail for email. They're not as sexy as Mozilla or Firebird & Thunderbird, but they work great for me. And Kmail has easy reply-quoting. Just select a sentence in your reply and then click Reply and only that area is quoted. If it wasn't for that cool feature, I might try Mozilla again. Under Windows, I use Mozilla for browsing and email. IE is just too babyish looking under XP and I hate popups! Mozilla's spam filter is da bomb! :whistling: For books, you might want to check out "Moving to Linux" by Marcel Gagne. It's just out and there are many fine reviews, one of which I wrote here:http://plugintolinux.org/articles5.html

Guest LilBambi

LOL! Good one Barry!Yeah, well hate is probably too strong of a word :D ... don't forget I have been using IE and OE for years. Thunderbird is the first email program that I have actually felt at home with since my move away from OE so I could actually feel safe having a preview pane again. I do not allow HTML rendering in any email client.I use Thunderbird on Windows and Linux. I have Firebird on Windows and Linux. Gives it a nice consistent feel.But for some reason, I have never been able to warm up to KMail. Could be the number of times while I was trying to get used to different Linux email clients that KMail removed my emails from the server when I had it set to NOT delete them from the server.Konquerer is a very nice File Manager, but I have problems with LOCAL File Managers that also try to be browsers, or browsers that try to be file managers ... maybe it's my problem with IE doing that showing through. :whistling: Evolution is a very nice 'Outlook' type program if someone is more used to Outlook than Outlook Express.

MozillaFirebird-0.7-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gzthunderbird-0.3-i686-pc-linux-gtk2-gnu.tar.bz2I have these 2 files infile:/home/eiknarf/documents directory, I click on one and it creates a folder for that progam. Is that like running the executible? When I do a search for the folder it creates I don't find it. Am I supposed to create a directory, then click on these files so it extracts all of the info into it? And how would I actually run the progam?

MozillaFirebird-0.7-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gzthunderbird-0.3-i686-pc-linux-gtk2-gnu.tar.bz2I have these 2 files infile:/home/eiknarf/documents directory, I click on one and it creates a folder for that progam. Is that like running the executible? When I do a search for the folder it creates I don't find it. Am I supposed to create a directory, then click on these files so it extracts all of the info into it? And how would I actually run the progam?
Hi cyberstorm,Congrats! for your success and persistence...you will be pleased. :whistling: Here is some help for MF:Installing MozillaFirebird in LinuxGood fortune.

Guest LilBambi

quint, perfect link and right here in Bruno's Tips :)Here's Thunderbird's info for linux from the Mozilla site:http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/download...ad.html#installSee the Thunderbird FAQ for more details. This FAQ came in very handy for me (but I found that it is geared a little more for Windows users:http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html

After downloading it go to your home directory, rightclick the package and choose ¨extract here¨
I don't have this option to extract it. The files are in the /home/eiknarf directory now.

Guest LilBambi

It sounded like you already extracted it:

I have these 2 files in file:/home/eiknarf/documents directory, I click on one and it creates a folder for that progam.
.tar.gz files are similar to .zip files.Sounds like you just need to move to the next step. :whistling:

Sounds like you just need to move to the next step
It creates the directory, but when I look for it I can't locate it? I'm looking for the mozilla.sh that I think I'm supposed to run and don't find it. Am I retarded? :whistling:

Guest LilBambi

Not hardly ... we all try to figure these things out when starting out. It is normal ... always want to do so much so soon! LOL!You many wish to just use Konquerer and KMail initially like most of us did. Nothing wrong with that. And it will give you time to get familiar with the layout of the file system and feel more comfortable with the system in general.Hopefully, Jason has done this more recently, but if I remember right, it puts the directory in your /home/username directory and it will be under that directory.