2.6 Kernel . . . in Mandrake 9.2

Owyn

Great to see everybody up and running.Bruno:Could you retest the shutdown problem on your system. If it is clean, I have got to close the problem report I made on cooker.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Owyn

• Peachy

• quint

Top Posters In This Topic

OwynThough it is funny that vi marks the "normal" in blue . . as if it does not really recognize the value "normal" B) . . . but it sure does the job.B) Bruno

Just tried to reboot from the console . . . well, I´m so used doing that after editing files ( was trying to get my LM sensors to work in 2.6 ) and sure it hung right there ! . . . I know, stupid, should have known better . . . . ;)No luck on the sensors-detect . . . I do miss my CPU / mobo temp and fan speeds.B) Bruno

Just tried to reboot from the console . . . well, I´m so used doing that affter editing files ( was trying to get my LM sensors to work in 2.6 ) and sure it hung right there ! . . . I know, stupid, should have known better . . . . ;)No luck on the sensors-detect  . . .  I do miss my CPU / mobo temp and fan speeds.B) Bruno
Is this a 9.2 or a 2.6 problem?I rebooted to 2.4 and got no sensors detected. I know they are there because I can monitor them in WXP.

Did not have them installed. Installed, and now working my way through the configuration options.First thing is to decode all the konsole output. LOL. Always one more learning step.

To All: FYI. test9.4 has been released to contribs. Should be on the mirrors soon.The link http://compil.mandrake.org/~blino/kernel-2.6/ will continue to be supported for the LATEST 2.6 builds. test9.4 will only live there until test9.5 is built. Remember, this is a test kernel and can be broken in strange ways from one build to the next. Be carefull.

Julia:I specifically tested the system bell/speaker on 2.4 and 2.6.Used Configuration->KDE->Sound->System Bell for test.Confirmed that it was not working on 2.6 and nothing I could do would change that.Posted a new bug report on cooker.
OwynI have system bell, I have sound in aumix, kmix, CD, Totem, XMMS. I have checked sound settings in MCC, System Notifications, System Bell, Arts, Sound System, KSCD. This morning I had no sound in Thunderbird but now I do. I still don't have sound in evolution though. Can not figure out what on earth I am missing. I have checked all over for some file I might be missing and checked sound levels everywhere. :devil: I went back to the old kernel because I could not stand the scroll wheel not working properly. Will wait for the fix there but did learn a lot from your link on it!

Olivier Blin <oliv.blin@laposte.net> 2.6.0-0.test9.5mdk- enable tulip, b44 (and misc network drivers)- enable back RFC1483/2684 Bridged protocols (CONFIG_ATM_BR2684)- enable aic7xxx modules (and misc scsi modules)- enable v4l drivers for MPEG capture cards- enable SiS DRI- compile each ide chipset support as module- disable some debug options
Probably not worth updating unless you have problems with specific hardware

Just rechecked the direct link to test9.4. It is no longer active. You can however get it from contribs.Some IDE problems reported in test9.5, fixed for test9.6.

kernel-2.6.0-0.test9.6mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpmsoon in contribChangelog* Thu Nov 13 2003 Olivier Blin  2.6.0-0.test9.6mdk- add bootsplash patch (patch3)- builtin console framebuffer (CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y)- builtin ide chipsets
IDE problems in test9.5 fixed.Bootsplash (boot messages without vga=normal) now available for testing.http://compil.mandrake.org/~blino/kernel-2.6/http://compil.mandrake.org/~blino/kernel-2...1-1mdk.i586.rpm

Word of warning. Looks like there will be some major surgery on the kernel config for test9.7. Suggest you grab a copy of test9.6 while you can. It is about as stable as a test/experminental kernel will be.