• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Owyn

• Peachy

• quint

Top Posters In This Topic

--> Merged with topic posted 3 minutes earlier by Owyn <--Words can not describe . . . . Installed the Kernel-2.6.0-0.test5.1mdk on my Mandrake 9.2 final test system . . . . super exciting . . . . . . such fun . . . . . runs soooo nice ! Have no words for it ! Only downside: the CPU and mobo temperatures on Gkrellm are not showing and I miss the bootmessages ( can if needed always see the /var/log/boot.log ) . . . . . BUT . . this Mandrake 9.2 / 2.6 is snappy and mega cool ! At boot you get to choose between the "old" 2.4.22 kernel and the "new" 2.6.0, so if ever something would not work you can always go back to the default kernel. If you´re in for some fun, add the contrib-sources I posted yesterday This thread ( free for everybody ) and do a search for kernel in the MCC . . . . the install process is a breeze. Happy Two Point Sixing !! :thumbsup: ;) Bruno NOTE: The 2.6 kernel is still a test version, use at your own risk ! ( But it´s so o o o o o nice ! :lol: )

Edited by Bruno

I have test9.4mdk running. Grabbed it directly from devel site.Running into several problems so far.-smbfs. needed to "modprobe smbfs" (not default). Could not connect to samba server.-can not umount/eject cdrom

Owyn,I don´t run samba so can not tell, but my CD-ROM functions normally !( * our posts did differ 3 minutes, we must have started at exactly the same time LOL )Barry,Welcome to the 2.6-CLUB ! Is this FUN or not ??:thumbsup: Bruno

It is very fun....not to mention quicker...I can wait for the "Real" 2.6 release..should be soon I hope :thumbsup:..Drake 9.2 is faster than the turbolinux w/ the 2.6 ( test 3)

Got CdRom problem fixed. XMMS had the device open. Closed XMMS. Problem gone.Next problem. Mount defaults have changed. Have to explictly enable user access to manual mounts.Good news. XMMS/MP3 working fine.

and I miss the bootmessages
LOL. I almost reset the system the first time I boot. Was watching this black screen and nothing obvious happening.Fortunately got the login splash before I got over anxious.

and I miss the bootmessages
LOL. I almost reset the system the first time I boot. Was watching this black screen and nothing obvious happening.Fortunately got the login splash before I got over anxious.
Me too . . I was waitng for the computer to explode . . . :w00t: :D :lol: B) Bruno

Did find out that 2.6 on my mainbox with SuSE Pro is a no go...tried twice..each time snags at the Nivida drivers on boot-up...and just sits...and sits..............and sits...but it works in mepis...well as far as I can tell..just did it this am before work...didn't really get to check it out

-smbfs. needed to "modprobe smbfs" (not default). Could not connect to samba server.
Left this for a while to clear my head. Lots of googlin. No problems noted since test3.Came back, tried LinNeighbourhood, browsed just fine.Hmmm.Went back to konsole, recalled commands, still error.Hmmm.Oh merde. typo. connecting to "//mkd91" instead of "//mdk91".Working just fine now. [blush]

Oh merde. typo. connecting to "//mkd91" instead of "//mdk91".Working just fine now. [blush]
B) Owyn . . I just had to laugh so hard because those things do happen to me too . . . . . LOL B) You look twice and still don´t see what´s wrong . . . . but you know it has to work, so you look again . . . and then !!! :w00t: B) Bruno

2.6 Kernel . . . in Mandrake 9.2
Things that make you go hmmmmm....
Well, come on Stryder . . where is your desire for adventure . . . . get the 2.6 kernel on the double ! We want to see you posting that you have it too ! :w00t:B) Bruno

Where did you hide the kernel. I have the test site loaded, updated my sources and no 2.6! I even updated again! Is it a different test site than the one in the updates thread?

It´s in the "contrib" sources . . not the "Test" sources . . . . nor the "Club-Contrib" sources . . . Click on the link earlier in this thread, the sources are there.B) Bruno

My gosh! B) I'm going to quit doing "chores"...can't believe what I've been missing! B) Finally "caught up":

[quint@localhost quint]$ uname -r2.6.0-0.test5.1mdk[quint@localhost quint]$
Nice, indeed! :w00t:

I'm in but it dumped my sound.  No aumix again.  Back to where I was when I went to 9.2!
Are you using test5 or test9? There have been audio fixes between them.See my prior post for a link for test9.

Owyn, . . running test 2.6.0-0.test9.4 now . . looks okay. . . playing Vivaldi . . . brilliant sound even on the test system ! CD-Rom works fine . . what where your problems there ?It´s almost scary how fast this kernel is . . . :w00t: . . . two kernel upgrades in one day ! B):w00t: Bruno

Edited by Bruno

I have sound again! Thanks Owyn. Now I just need to figure out why I don't have sound for things like email beeps (it is turned on).....Happy to have my Aumix and sound again!Now the only thing I don't like is the way my mouse works. I can't just scroll anywhere with the wheel. I have to click and do it that way.

CD-Rom works fine . . what where your problems there ?
Stupid XMMS tricks.I had used "Play Directory" and clicked on /mnt/cdrom by accident before going to another directory.XMMS was now an active user for the device. Could not umount and eject the data CD until I closed XMMS.I could not reproduce the problem in Mdk91. I suspect it is a result of changes in supermount support. Saw quite a few cooker posts (primarily about performance, but, also some about function).

CD-Rom works fine . . what where your problems there ?
Stupid XMMS tricks.I had used "Play Directory" and clicked on /mnt/cdrom by accident before going to another directory.XMMS was now an active user for the device. Could not umount and eject the data CD until I closed XMMS.I could not reproduce the problem in Mdk91. I suspect it is a result of changes in supermount support. Saw quite a few cooker posts (primarily about performance, but, also some about function).
Got it . . that explains it !:w00t: Bruno

I have sound again!  Thanks Owyn.  Now I just need to figure out why I don't have sound for things like email beeps (it is turned on).....
Is "spkr" muted in aumix?