• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeber

• Temmu

• teacher

BoardFlak

I drew on a couple of Javascript files to which I had access, and knocked together a question generator, but it's rather rough - not ready for Prime Time...

Meanwhile, here's some bad advice based on real events (I won't say who, except to note that he's a forum admin, has worked on a computer company's help desk and should have known better... :thumbsup: ):Let's say you have a computer with two partitions, one with XP installed, the other with Linux. You've been using Grub as a boot loader. One day (oh, let's say the day before yesterday) you decide that you want to delete the Linux partition for a while and return it to Windows. You know you have to change your boot loader.Now you could do it the right and easy way; boot into Safe mode with Command Prompt and issue the commands "fixboot" and "fixmbr", reboot and be done.But it's far more challenging, complicated and unnecessary to do a repair installation of Windows (later you can claim to be the victim of a massive brain-fart). This will overwrite all the core files in Windows with the default ones from your OS disk. All the programs installed on your computer (safely tucked away in separate partitions) that register components with the C:\ drive will cease to function, requiring several hours of reinstallation. Also, program paths will have become invalid, requiring manual correction. At this point, be sure to reinstall Service Pack 2 so that the next step is truly agonizing.If wasting one complete evening of your life just trying to get back to where you were before isn't enough for you, perhaps you'd also like to use the wrong product key during the repair, so that when Windows prompts you to activate Windows upon rebooting, you can't do it because the key you used doesn't match the one still stored in the files that didn't get overwritten. You can't log in and you can't activate. Now you can spend another full evening re-repairing Windows, re-repairing paths and reinstalling Service Pack 2 and many other programs. Perhaps Microsoft will even let you activate Windows easily this time around. By this time I guarantee you'll wish you'd uninstalled Windows and put Linux on the entire hard drive. :wacko:

hmmm, I see where this was leading. An attack on the soon-too-be-seniors among us who have senior moments and even senior hours when I'm not even officially a senior. It should be a law that I can't have a senior moment (or longer) until I can get senior discounts! If I can't profit, I don't want the downside of aging. I'd say I'll try to remember what you mentioned about windows and linux but who am I kidding? I'll probably go thru the same steps- except I use Ghost and True Image on two computers so I can throw old backups into the mix.

Senior moments, zlim. I wish. I have senior weeks. Soon I'll be experiencing senior months.And nope, no discounts for me either. By the time I'm senior enough to qualify, I'll have forgotten I'm entitled to them.

• 9 months later...

The recent release of Vista is a perfect impetus for the revival of this thread. So let me begin by giving you my first bit of bad advice for 2007...Buy Vista...install Vista.(OK, that was too easy and a cheap shot. What did you expect from me?)I do have some good bad advice to pass along. Don't ever offer to do work on a family member's PC.Let me restate that; don't ever offer to work on a FAMILY member's PC. Family, as in "da family", capice?They get REALLY upset when you wipe their drive to eliminate a virus. How was I to know they hadn't backed up their "financial" records? As angry as they were, as I was leaving I overheard some of them saying what a hit I'd been, or something like that. The voices were muffled by the ventilation duct I was crawling through.I never had a chance to tell them that I'd copied all their directories to my portable drive before I did the wipe. But some guys from the FBI were fascinated. They offered me quite a bit of money and a whole new ID just to burn them a few copies of my backups. I took the money and ID. I can use the cash, and the ID should fetch a tidy sum on eBay.I also received a warm invitation to head up the IT department at Leavenworth. I think I'm going to pass on that, as nice as it was for them to offer. I hear there are a few family members living there.

i love wallpapers! something to brighten up your pc.i was browsing the internet and i found that your pc can have a floormat too!! so, i have a nice picture i intend to use, i'll put it on the c: drive.let's see, the internet says the command goes like this, floormat c:,ok, open a command prompt, and, o! i got the spelling wrong...ok, it says proceed with format? y/n, why y, of cou

Certainly would have kept me from chipping my front tooth if I could have done that. Apparently there are nerves in your teeth, noticeable if you chip enough off of them. Boardflak you were so lucky smacking the back of your head can cause serious injury I would think.
I'm a firm believer in "full face" helmets. I learned a few things from owning a sport motorcycle many years ago. Owning a Kawasaki Ninja does not make you an F-1 racer. Dragging your knee in high-speed corners is hard on pants. Tires don't grip so well in freezing temperatures even on a dry road. Saving a motorcycle from a serius skid can be more dangerous than just letting it fall down and a full face helmet doesn't protect your lower lip from your teeth. It does protect your face from the road, though. After I found myself flying through the air, landing on my face and dancing with a concrete guard rail, I woke up some unknown time later with my only head injury being a large slice in my lower lip. I did get a fractured wrist, from the landing, I assume. I did manage to drag my knee before "high-siding". That put a hole through three layers of pants and a couple layers of skin. Somewhere along the line, the zipper of my leather jacket got torn off. Later on, I realized that my back pocket got ripped off and I was missing my wallet. Now I know why some bikers use a wallet with a chain. The motorcycle needed a new $5 oil plug and a handlebar welded back on. Someone did that for me for a beer. Two weeks later, I learned that VW Bugs don't handle slush and snow very well. Hello Mr. Tree. Then I learned what happens to Army driving priviledges when you have two accidents in two weeks. Haven't caused an accident since. I did eventually get my license back. :hysterical:
  • 4 weeks later...
Temmu

cleaning lcd monitorsi got this idea while copying some info off of the internet on to a sticky note through a very dusty lcd screen. annoyed at the dust, i used the sticky side of the sticky note to collect the dust from the screen. voila! i could see again.after realizing there was still a good bit of dust on the lcd screen, i decided to take the idea as step further. i needed a better adhesive. so, why not spray the screen with 3m super 77 adhesive and use toilet tissue to lift the dust it had trapped! way cool! :hysterical: i chose rapid dissolve to aid in the cleanup - so says the website - 4x as fast!!well, i can vouch for this, that after an hour and a half of cleaning off the adhesive, there is definately no dust left. and boy, that rapidly dissolving tp really does rapidly dissolve! initially it was a fuzzy mess. but, all's well that ends well.ps, avoid acetone on the screen, i think it dissolved mine...required materials: tw_dissolve.pngscott rapid dissolving paperSuper77.png3m super 77 spray adhesive

• 8 months later...

I was recently made aware of the problems associated with Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS), surge protectors and wall outlets. It seems that if the battery in the UPS fails, a surge exceeding the capacity of the protector comes through the line or your 250 pound Mastiff decides the cord from your PC to the wall outlet is a chew toy, you can immediately and without warning suffer power loss. In addition, any unsaved data on your computer will most likely disappear. For example, if I were typing this post and my UPS suddenly shut down, I wouldn't be abl

...e to finish my post. (Well, now you know how I became aware of this problem).Anyway, I got to thinking (something my mental health professional advises against, but she's not here right now, so...)Since few of us shut down our computers anymore, why do we need a power supply that can shut down when it wants?Here's my suggestion. Cut the plug off the end of the power cord that comes from your PC's power supply. Strip off about half an inch of the insulation and separate the wires inside.Now, go to Home depot and buy 200' of insulated copper wiring, the kind you'd run through your walls but the heavy duty style. Go out to the utility pole in the alley behind your house and climb up. Find the point where the line leaves the transformer and heads to your house. Stuff a dead squirrel into this line to short it out. Now the line is safe to handle. Splice the end of the wire you purchased onto the main line leaving the transformer. Wrap this wire around the wire leading to your house to minimize the chance of later detection. Run the wire into a convenient window and splice the other end onto the wires you earlier stripped on the PC's power cable.Get on the phone and report your power outage. In a few weeks, once the power people come out to fix your line and you once again have power, you'll also be able to enjoy 120 volts of pure, uninterrupted power streaming straight into your computer. No more accidental power outages for you, at least until your next-door neighbor tries this same trick and you have to wait a few weeks for power to be restored...again.Oh, and be sure to throw away everything inside your refrigerator. Those weeks of no power have probably rendered that leftover turkey inedible.

Guest LilBambi

Wow, now that is definitely some really 'comical' Bad Advice. LOL!I can just picture it now ... reminds me of some Three Stooges shows of old.Great to see you back with the really BAD Advice Jeber! B)

please ~do~ follow jebers advice about the refrig.as all of us in new orleans know, rotten refrigerator stink cannot be cleaned up, leading to disposal of the whole refrig, not just its contents.