To Hear or Not to Hear

teacher

See . . you needed to load the right driver : snd-intel8x0 !!( it only gets loaded at reboot or depmod -a )
Or the aumix since it worked before with the other driver?

See . . you needed to load the right driver : snd-intel8x0 !!( it only gets loaded at reboot or depmod -a )
Or the aumix since it worked before with the other driver?
I will do some testing with Kmix and (G)alsamixer.Had basically stopped playing with Mdk92 pending new release. But, no changes pending from Mandrake for sound, so..

Bruno:FYI, there are a whole pile of new controls on the mixers. Looks like a new alsa driver slipped in for the Santa Cruz.If so, then it will be time to play with enhanced audio again. [fingers crossed]

Bruno:FYI, there are a whole pile of new controls on the mixers. Looks like a new alsa driver slipped in for the Santa Cruz.If so, then it will be time to play with enhanced audio again. [fingers crossed]
So finaly something good is comming out of the 9.2 then ?? . . . . My experiences with 9.2 are only positive up till now, once the panic oif the LG drives will be over I think more people will discover a real good distro. ;)B) Bruno

Identifying SystemLinux localhost 2.4.22-21mdk-i686-up-4GB #1 Fri Oct 24 20:48:24 MDT 2003 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux
See you could not wait for the official release Julia. Good one.

So finaly something good is comming out of the 9.2 then ?? . . . . My experiences with 9.2 are only positive up till now, once the panic oif the LG drives will be over I think more people will discover a real good distro. ;)B) Bruno
Unfortunately the people most impacted are the ones who have paid to be members of the club. The retail and ISOs may be a bit delayed, but, should be fairly clean.Maybe the initial club release should have been called RC3. B)

Guest LilBambi

Been busy collating news all afternoon but have checked in to see the progress here periodically ... glad sound is now working great for you Julia! B) Sound cards can certainly be a pain at times ... at least you didn't have sound conflicting with LAN and modem IRQs mixed PCI and ISA boards, and some with relocatable IRQs and some not ... like the old days! LOL! Life is much easier in Linux these days even with these little wrinkles!

Maybe the initial club release should have been called RC3.
Owyn, I guess the needed more beta testers and tricked all the Club Members into testing the RC3 . . . LOL . . . . well they succeeded !Still curious what LG will do about the faulty drives they put on the maket . . . . B) Bruno

FranYou are definitely right. Much easier. I thought I had another sound problem. I put a CD in and nothing. Got to thinking about it and remembered I only hooked one drive up to the motherboard for sound. Switched CD drives and bingo - sound. It even sounds pretty decent for my rinky-dink speakers. B) I guess next I will have to invest in new speakers since my old ones died last month.

Still curious what LG will do about the faulty drives they put on the market . . . .
From cooker
> What's the solution? Is a fried drive truly fried, or can they be > re-flashed or something to resuscitate it?We're in technical contacts with LG in korea now. They're nice.They've talked about a way to "recover" de firmware but they saidit's not easy for typical customer. We'll see what is it exactly.-- Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/

> What's the solution? Is a fried drive truly fried, or can they be > re-flashed or something to resuscitate it?We're in technical contacts with LG in korea now. They're nice.They've talked about a way to "recover" de firmware but they saidit's not easy for typical customer. We'll see what is it exactly.-- Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/
Yep, did read that . . . . but they ALWAYS are friendly over there . . . does not mean they will solve the problem though :DB) Bruno

Have now tested and got Kmix, Galsamixer, and alsamixer working.aumix is definitely the best one to start with. All the controls are visible. It also has the handy console mode to display settings as used in the soundchk script.Which is definitely not the case with the other two. On a 1024x768 display Kmix needs about 1.3 screen widths. Galsamixer needs about 2 widths, and of course, the controls you are looking for are off the screen to start with. No obvious way to configure the order of the controls (which would get around the off the screen problem).The bad news (for me) is that all these additional controls do not seem to make an audible difference. The good news is upgrade to the latest alsa and the availability of a multimedia kernel makes 9.2 a good vehicle to start experimenting with some of the other audio tools.Ran a couple of other tests:1)Tested both Xmms and Kscd active. Mixer(s) worked just fine. Was able to concurrently hear both audio streams.2)Tested IDE CDDA. Not working (yet). Was expected after Julia's report of playing from wrong CD.

Don't feel bad. When I first joined the group, I had no sound in Mandrake. FInally, by a miracle, the sound healed itself, and came up. Now that I am using Mandrake 9.2, I am back at ground zero, again. One more time I am trying to go through the rigamarole of chasing down the cause of no sound. Why does Linux have to make it so hard? This is one thing that MS has over Mandrake, it does the sound thing so effortlessly, and so elegantly. B)