Hints On USB Wi-Fi?

Cluttermagnet

securitybreach

Well you will not be able to see the other machines unless you set it up that way. Also, when you connect via wireless you are connecting to the internal Ethernet network. Just like wired ethernet, the router has to assign you an internal IP in order to access the internet.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cluttermagnet

• securitybreach

• onederer

• Urmas

Cluttermagnet
Well you will not be able to see the other machines unless you set it up that way. Also, when you connect via wireless you are connecting to the internal Ethernet network. Just like wired ethernet, the router has to assign you an internal IP in order to access the internet.
We may have multiple and unintended levels of meaning floating around here. I don't have a true network, i.e. my computers do not have any file sharing enabled. They simply happen to share a single, common, Ethernet connection through a router and also an Ethernet hub. Other than that, they are all mutually invisible to each other.All I want to do is to separate out one box. Remove it from that Ethernet network. Run it independently as a wi-fi enabled box. No connection to those other computers whatever, either via wireless or Ethernet. It's as if I only owned that one computer. No connection needed or intended to those other boxes.But I do think that Urmas's experiment would establish whether or not the dongle really works or not. It was a cheapie refurb bought off the internet from a 'seconds' house. Maybe its toast. So I'll see if the wireless dongle can see my wireless router downstairs. Then I'm going to once again disable wireless in my router. It's a fine Ethernet box, it's a little old and shaky in terms of wireless security. It was born to do WEP, can do some WPA but is an older design, not very well thought of in terms of wireless security. Edited by Cluttermagnet

securitybreach

OK now I am confused. :pirate: If your machines connect to your router then they should have a 192.168.xx.xx address by default. I thought you were saying that you did not want the wireless to be a part of that "internal network" and I was saying that it had to be in order to access the internet from your router.

1. Get a friend who owns a laptop and make a field trip with the dongle you have. Forget Starbucks, the wifi is not free; head to McDonalds or Panera Bakery where it is. This will allow you to see how good the dongle is. Some are better than others in picking up signals.Around my area, Giant supermarkets also have free wifi. I can sit in the parking lot close to the store entrance, no need to go up to the cafe or the outside patio, and I can surf. (I haven't tried the parking lots at McDonalds or Panera to see if I can get a signal from there). There is also a chain called Zoup, which offers free wifi. One restaurant/bar near us also has free wifi but requires a login. He has the login info on the walls so you need to at least come in once and order something to know how to access the network. (Again, I have not tested to see if the signal works in the parking lot).2. "Borrowing" someone else's network is illegal in the US. Since you have/had Comcast, I'm assuming the open networks you find will also be running Comcast. Comcast does have a cap on the amount of data per month you are allowed. If enough people "borrow" the broadband, the cap will be reached and the person paying for the connection will get some sort of notice from Comcast. If it continues, the person's broadband is cut off. I assume most people running open broadband take steps to close it. My neighbor was running open and I told him about it. He ignored me for a while but I now see he has chosen to lock it. Although my connection appears if you sit outside my house as unlocked, you can not use it because if you try and connect, you'd be presented with a login box. You'd need to either know or guess the password. I take passwords very seriously and use a password generator with a combo of large and small letters, numbers, and punctuation. I have it generated because I stand a chance of it being more random than something I think up.All this to explain the difference between unlocked (as in unencrypted) versus truly open.I also have my router with MAC filtering turned on and the number of leases set very low. This means, a computer trying to get on with a MAC address not on my list simply does not connect. MAC addresses can be spoofed but I assume the person getting on would have to hack into my router and see the MAC address listed. Also, a router will assign something like 256 leases. I have mine set for 7 as the maximum number of DHCP users. I currently have 5 computers that go on almost daily and a printer. Those use 6 of the IPs. One is left over for computers I bring here to fix for friends.If your neighbors know how to configure the router and have done something similar, you might find that even though you see a wireless connection, you will not be able to gain a free ride. Don't assume the dongle is at fault.That's why it is best to test it at a known free hotspot to get familiar with how wifi works.3. It is a misconception that turning off the SSID makes your router more secure. Keep it on. Take steps to limit the amount of leases and enable MAC filtering. This will increase your security and keep anyone off your network.I do not have printer and file sharing enabled. My printer is connected to the router so my computers can use my printer through the LAN.

Cluttermagnet
Get a friend who owns a laptop and make a field trip with the dongle you have. That's why it is best to test it at a known free hotspot to get familiar with how wifi works.(Emphasis mine)
Thanks very much, Liz. Appreciate the benefit of your experience. I think I understand most of what you said, and yes, the McD/Panera field trip sounds like a very good, practical first step. BTW I have one nearby neighbor I might approach up front/ 'off the record' about a possible wireless share. It doesn't hurt to ask. Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
OK now I am confused. :pirate: If your machines connect to your router then they should have a 192.168.xx.xx address by default.
Probably true. Most of them see the router through an Ethernet hub, however. I bet it still applies.
I thought you were saying that you did not want the wireless to be a part of that "internal network"
Exactly right. I don't want those two entities to ever get to know one another- for security reasons.
I was saying that it had to be in order to access the internet from your router.
But I'm not trying to do that. The router stays downstairs. It continues to be disabled from running wireless.Meanwhile, upstairs (above ground level) I try to run a single 'sacrificial' desktop on wi-fi using only the USB wi-fi dongle. No router. Maybe I acquire a second router later to insert in the chain for the wi-fi setup to improve security.So there is no router. The dongle is more of a 'wireless card', as Urmas explains. I'm still going to try his experiment later tonight, to see if the dongle can at least sense my router downstairs firing up briefly on wireless. Then, I promptly disable wireless again on that downstairs router- despite the fact that it is predominately below ground level, except in one compass direction. Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
Just a correction to my previous post, Starbucks will be offering free wifi!http://mashable.com/2010/06/14/starbucks-free-wifi/
Thanks, Liz. Interesting. Looks like they may be forcing users to experience it only in a Starbucks branded 'portal', however, replete with forced ad viewing being enforced? In other words, it isn't necessarily 'true', wide open internet? That's what it sounds like, to read the article. If it's forced framing, that would detract severely from the experience, being only somewhat better than none at all.Rephrasing, isn't this sort of thing not truly unfettered 'access the internet' but rather 'view the internet from within frames in our Starbucks web page?Perhaps there is some way to tell your computer to display a particular frame full page? But this would probably revert to a framed, branded web page upon every new page download?
Rather than just trying to create an aggregated portal of sources, Starbucks will be bringing quality content that is usually behind a pay wall to customers to access for free while in Starbucks stores. Different categories, like business news, lifestyle, music, entertainment, etc. will provide access to different content. This means that you can visit the Wall Street Journal uninhibited, as well as Zagat and also get local content from services like Foursquare pulled into your default Starbucks page.
It's the "aggregated portal of sources" above that I'm referring to. Remember, I have zero experience with this sort of thing. I've seen patrons sitting with their laptops sipping lattes, that's about the extent of my knowledge. Edited by Cluttermagnet

That portal will come later, not in July.When I surf at Giant supermarket, the first page that comes up is the page about the store where I can make my grocery list, etc. After that loads, I'm free to go wherever I want. I was not sure the first few times I used it so I kept the Giant tab open and just opened more FF tabs to the sites I wanted to go to. Then I got brave and went from Giant's home page to my home page and had no problem surfing anywhere I wanted.I assume Starbucks will have a home page/portal but I really don't see you being restricted. (If you can't get somewhere, do a google search and get there through google. :teehee: ). Starbucks wouldn't risk people's ire by limiting you to just a few sites. If they did, people would go to McDonalds/Panera to eat, drink and surf freely.

Call Comcast and tell them you are going to cancel the service and change providers unless they give you a better rate. Chances are, they will adjust your monthly rate downward, possibly to a lower rate than you originally had.I know several people (family members) that have done this successfully.After I got my DSL line hooked up they came back with an offer that was less than half of what I was paying, but it was too late for them by then.I gave up Comcast because it was always going offline. The DSL line has been flawless.

Cluttermagnet
Call Comcast and tell them you are going to cancel the service and change providers unless they give you a better rate. Chances are, they will adjust your monthly rate downward, possibly to a lower rate than you originally had.I know several people (family members) that have done this successfully.After I got my DSL line hooked up they came back with an offer that was less than half of what I was paying, but it was too late for them by then.I gave up Comcast because it was always going offline. The DSL line has been flawless.(Emphasis mine)
That's a good suggestion, and I find your experience very useful info right now. I plan to do something like that, fairly soon. I'd hoped to first get a glimpse of what wi-fi possibilities might be like here. I'd heard that some asked for and got transferred to a 'Loss Prevention' department or something like that. I'll certainly try something along those lines.I'll point out that the folks at Comcast hammered away on me unsuccessfully for something like 15+ years before I finally was persuaded to subscribe to a Comcast service, and that they are going to lose me forever if something doesn't change here.FWIW their online rate has been quite good in my neighborhood, once I figured out that they had provided a flaky, used, Scientific Atlanta modem. I eventually bought my own Motorola modem. Also had to have them tweak their line levels a bit for me. It's been near flawless since. Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Progress? I'm near- dead in the water for now. Things got impossibly busy. Just for example, it became time to take down a big Red Oak tree in our yard that had died about 2 years ago . Fortunately, I got a pretty good price on the tree removal. So that day and the next, I was out getting all sweaty sawing and moving ~3+ cords of wood around, processing branches, etc. There are still days of work, part time, to process all that wood for firewood. Now I've had a 5 day job come up that I'm forced to get on right away. Paying jobs don't come near often enough these days. So the wi-fi research has been put on hold for a short while. :thumbsup:

onderer said If you have an ethernet non-wireless printer, and would like to make it wireless, just plug it into a wireless access point. Naturally, the access point has to also meet the cirteria listed above so it will talk to the syst
This is interesting reading for me since I have an all in one printer I would like to make wireless , I am using a netlink router and would like to know how to set up my printer to handle faxes for me

This is interesting reading for me since I have an all in one printer I would like to make wireless , I am using a netlink router and would like to know how to set up my printer to handle faxes for me
For Faxes, first, you must setup the printer in a normal fashion to work with your network. Then you disconnect it from the router, and plug the ethernet cable into an access point such as a Lynksys WAP54G. The access point has to be setup to run with the rest of your network, and plugged either into the router oar a switch which is plugged into a router. As far as the printer is concerned, it still thinks that it is plugged into the back of a router, but you are doing it wirelessly instead. As far as the fax, that's something that you need to get familiar with using your owner's manual. But when you have the printer ready for faxing, then plug the telephone line into the back of the printer. Now you're set to go. Now you can place the printer anywhere you want in the house, and still have it talk to your system. No long cables required.One matter of clarification: Unless you have a wireless router, you will need (two) access points. One for your printer, and the other for your router so that it can receive/send the commands to the printer. And by-the-way, that same access point is also good to pick up and work with laptop computers, if you happen to have some. Plug an access point into the back of a desktop, and you have a wireless desktop. But don't get carried away with all that. Just do one at-a-time, and make sure that it works first, before you tackle the next one.Good Luck! Edited by onederer

thanks onederer I think I can hook it up now , The thing is my printer ( for faxing purp[oses is a HP all in one and is capable of sending faxes , and my other printer ( which is my primary one } is wired to the computer

thanks onederer I think I can hook it up now , The thing is my printer ( for faxing purp[oses is a HP all in one and is capable of sending faxes , and my other printer ( which is my primary one } is wired to the computer
You are welcome!Your printer that's connected to a computer, I would guess that it's a USB connection. Not much that you can do with that one. But the HP printer is similar to mine. And is it flexible to do the things I wrote about above.

Cluttermagnet
Progress? I'm near- dead in the water for now. Things got impossibly busy. Just for example, it became time to take down a big Red Oak tree in our yard that had died about 2 years ago . Fortunately, I got a pretty good price on the tree removal. So that day and the next, I was out getting all sweaty sawing and moving ~3+ cords of wood around, processing branches, etc. There are still days of work, part time, to process all that wood for firewood. Now I've had a 5 day job come up that I'm forced to get on right away. Paying jobs don't come near often enough these days. So the wi-fi research has been put on hold for a short while. :whistling:
I tried running a copy of PClinuxos-gnome 2010, as suggested by a forum member. It also finds my wireless dongle but fails to see any networks. I find this far fetched, as I live in a fairly large neighborhood. There ought to be plenty of signals in range. I'm still going to try Urmas's suggestion and fire up my router downstairs on wireless- when I can get to it. I'm beginning to suspect that the dongle I was sold, a refurb, was DOA. Edited by Cluttermagnet

securitybreach

It may be DOA but do you know anyone with a laptop or another card you could try out to see if in fact there are access points available? PCLinuOS should of been able to scan for networks if it correctly identified the card.

Cluttermagnet
It may be DOA but do you know anyone with a laptop or another card you could try out to see if in fact there are access points available? PCLinuOS should of been able to scan for networks if it correctly identified the card.
Offhand, no. Right now I can't think of anyone I could ask about the laptop test of my widget. So firing up my router on wireless downstairs will be my next move. I just have a strong, nagging feeling that I was sold a dead 'refurb' unit. This would not be the first piece of electronics I have seen partially alive, yet non- functional. An example- several dialup modems I have seen that have only their front ends (telco interface) taken out by a nearby lightning hit.BTW different thread, but I'm running PCLinuxOS right now, 'live CD' and I'm generally liking it. May end up having an installed copy here on one of my 8-10 functional desktop boxes. Also, certainly a copy of the CD in my traveling Linux kit with all the other favorite distros and other tools. That little CD wallet comes in sooooooo handy... :whistling: Edited by Cluttermagnet

• 3 weeks later...
Cluttermagnet
Call Comcast and tell them you are going to cancel the service and change providers unless they give you a better rate. Chances are, they will adjust your monthly rate downward, possibly to a lower rate than you originally had.I know several people (family members) that have done this successfully.After I got my DSL line hooked up they came back with an offer that was less than half of what I was paying, but it was too late for them by then.
This did not go very well- at all. I ended up requesting that my Comcast service be canceled in 1 week, the date of the beginning of the monthly accounting period. Or they say they may pull it earlier. The matter will now be referred to their collections department because I did not pay the 59.95 they were demanding last month. I told him I would not pay for a full month until I see whether or not they actually give me a full month. A complete standoff. I pointed out that my payment record has been sterling, and I haven't played games with them up to now, FWIW.I was offered a couple of different things which in effect had me paying for the installation of a limited service cable TV box to get a slightly lower internet rate. You know, the '20 local channels' BS. He called it a 'dummy' cable TV account, but it did get cable TV in the door here and I had to pay them for something I emphatically do not want. I told him that if Comcast ever got a conscience and started offering channels 'a la carte', I might be interested. Standoff. Impasse.So it looks like Clutter will be back on dialup in the near future, possibly the very near future. To the extent that I can figure out how to make Ubuntu et al work on dialup, anyway. (Yes, I have external modems). It has proved wise that I kept one copper dialup line with Verizon, and my 4.95 per month ISP all2easy.net. They're good, BTW, and I do recommend them to any broadband service deficient friends on the net.Oh, did I mention Bah Humbug? :pirate: :w00t: :hysterical: Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Uh- there's a lot of ways I could take that, Urmie- but how did you mean it?This has not been a good day for me. I've seen this train wreck coming forsome time now. Reality for me has so far been way different than it was forthe family and friends of jimg. I'm sure Concast will come along with somelame offer, once it's too late for everybody. As I pointed out to the deafphone rep, Concast hammered relentlessly on me for 12-14 years tryingto get me as a customer. They now stand to lose me forever. Whatever...I will still have access to broadband at friends' houses.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Uh- there's a lot of ways I could take that, Urmie- but how did you mean it?This has not been a good day for me. I've seen this train wreck coming forsome time now. Reality for me has so far been way different than it was forthe family and friends of jimg. I'm sure Concast will come along with somelame offer, once it's too late for everybody. As I pointed out to the deafphone rep, Concast hammered relentlessly on me for 12-14 years tryingto get me as a customer. They now stand to lose me forever. Whatever...I will still have access to broadband at friends' houses.
If Comcast is your only source for hispeed, then they aren't going to negotiate. They figure you'll get fed up with dialup and come back before long. That's the way monopolies work. I paid $10/mo for about three years as part of AT&T's merger deal with Bellsouth. This was for the lowest tier of hi-speed and finally went to $20/mo. This speed still allows me to dl DVD .iso's, which meets my needs.

Cluttermagnet
If Comcast is your only source for hispeed, then they aren't going to negotiate. They figure you'll get fed up with dialup and come back before long. That's the way monopolies work. I paid $10/mo for about three years as part of AT&T's merger deal with Bellsouth. This was for the lowest tier of hi-speed and finally went to $20/mo. This speed still allows me to dl DVD .iso's, which meets my needs.
Thanks, lewmur. I knew that other areas of the country get a better deal on broadband. 60 dollars a month is too much for me. 20 dollars sounds real, real good, even if it's throttled down slower.If they figure I'll come back, they figure wrong.Oh, technically, we have FIOS in my area, but the rollout has been real slow. I live in a less dense suburban area of my county, and we'll just have to see if they ever do bring it out my way. I suspect they plan to reneg on their agreement with our county and will never run fiber out this way as promised. In any case, FIOS would be about as expensive as Concast. I'm sure there must have been some dirty dealing and price fixing to keep prices high. Competition is largely illusion, I figure. I'm too far from the CO (telco central office) for DSL. Edited by Cluttermagnet

Uh- there's a lot of ways I could take that, Urmie- but how did you mean it?
That is my comment – abridged and slightly sanitized – on your ISP snafu. :hysterical:

Cluttermagnet
That is my comment – abridged and slightly sanitized – on your ISP snafu. :pirate:
Well, I'm going to be optimistic and assume you were not calling me 'crybaby', and were instead lampooning the greedy cable companies. Hey, in a previous life, I had low self esteem. Lately I have good self esteem and not enough income. :hysterical:

Lately I have good self esteem and not enough income. :hysterical:
:pirate: Dunno about "a crybaby"... were I in your situation – ISP wise – I would swear like a stevedore. Let's hope for a quick solution.

Cluttermagnet
:hysterical: Dunno about "a crybaby"... were I in your situation – ISP wise – I would swear like a stevedore. Let's hope for a quick solution.
One way or another, I'll find a way to keep in touch. There's always dialup. I'll have cable access through friends- for downloading Linux distros and doing updates on all my desktops. "Have tower, will travel". :w00t: Who knows, Concast might just surprise me and rise to the occasion. I'd think they'd not want to lose a paying customer- for life. I'm going to make one more call to them this week and try to get connected to the 'real' Concast "customer retention department". I was just talking to some zomboid script reader today. And he stuck to his script very well indeed. Referring my account to his collection department was a nice touch, I thought. Very classy. :pirate: Edited by Cluttermagnet