Hints On USB Wi-Fi?

Cluttermagnet

One way or another, I'll find a way to keep in touch. There's always dialup. I'll have cable access through friends- for downloading Linux distros and doing updates on all my desktops. "Have tower, will travel". :pirate: Who knows, Concast might just surprise me and rise to the occasion. I'd think they'd not want to lose a paying customer- for life. I'm going to make one more call to them this week and try to get connected to the 'real' Concast "customer retention department". I was just talking to some zomboid script reader today. And he stuck to his script very well indeed. Referring my account to his collection department was a nice touch, I thought. Very classy. :hysterical:
Did you check out Dish network? They are offering very low rates at the moment, and free installation. Their box is good for two rooms. I'm not sure about their Internet access rates, but I heard that is it much lower than DirecTV. At least you would gain much faster downloads than dial-up.Cheers!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cluttermagnet

• securitybreach

• onederer

• Urmas

Cluttermagnet
Did you check out Dish network? They are offering very low rates at the moment, and free installation. Their box is good for two rooms. I'm not sure about their Internet access rates, but I heard that is it much lower than DirecTV. At least you would gain much faster downloads than dial-up.Cheers!
I'm curious enough that I'll at least take a look. Being that I'm not a gamer, I probably (?) shouldn't be concerned about 'latency' issues. Thanks!

Cluttermagnet

Dish Network is very expensive for internet and the bandwidth limits preclude any serious downloading. It looks to be mainly for emailing and web surfing. Would you believe 50 dollars a month for a 30 day limit of 7,500MB? Yikes! Oh, and there's a 200 dollar installation 'lease' fee. Oh joy. I suppose this service might look attractive to those folks way out there at Fort Stinkin' Desert in the middle of nowhere, however...DISH Network High-Speed Internet powered by WildBlueI like lewmur's throttled down 20 dollar a month service way better! Now why can't I get that here? Oh, that's right- they think we're all cash cows around here, and our local officials have sold us out. That's right, I forgot about that.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Dish Network is very expensive for internet and the bandwidth limits preclude any serious downloading. It looks to be mainly for emailing and web surfing. Would you believe 50 dollars a month for a 30 day limit of 7,500MB? Yikes! Oh, and there's a 200 dollar installation 'lease' fee. Oh joy. I suppose this service might look attractive to those folks way out there at Fort Stinkin' Desert in the middle of nowhere, however...DISH Network High-Speed Internet powered by WildBlueI like lewmur's throttled down 20 dollar a month service way better! Now why can't I get that here? Oh, that's right- they think we're all cash cows around here, and our local officials have sold us out. That's right, I forgot about that.
I've got DirecTV for my TV. It isn't cheap, but very reliable. For my Internet, I took up my local cable provider's offer for free installation. I use Metrocast.net. I kept the cable TV + Internet access for a short while, then dropped the TV portion, and opted for the TV Satellite DirecTV instead. No contract was needed, and no minimum time. However, I kept the Internet access portion. They are really giving us fast cable Internet access, and very high reliability. No bandwidth limits, and no FAIR ACESSES POLICY (FAP). The reason that I wanted the satellite TV was because they provide many more channels than cable TV. I wish that the prices would be lower, but life doesn't operate that way. And since the Govt. sold us down the river with free antenna TV access ( we can't get the local channels here anymore, since Digital TV came in), I have to depend on Satellite TV for my local channels.I wouldn't recommend it, but TigerDirect was offering a prepay Internet access adapter to USB using the cell phone towers. This pay-as-you-go system could probably suit you when you need to download something that would take too long via dial-up. The only way for myself, that I would use this is when the power goes out, and I want to call the power company (using MagicJack). I haven't checked on the prices for Internet access with this device, but since no contract is needed it would be nice to sometimes use for Internet access while on the road.The choice is yours! Cheers!

Cluttermagnet

Breakthrough...I was able to handle my (reluctant and unintended) disconnection request with Comcast in a diplomatic enough manner that I did come to the attention of the 'account saver' types in that organization. Actually, that function is outsourced to a contractor firm locally, in my state.I did have a formal request on the table to be disconnected. That has now been set aside. In effect, in return for paying off a 1 month balance now due at the higher 59.95 rate, I get a 6 month teaser rate of 30 dollars, then default to the rate I'd previously been paying, the past 2 years- and without tying it to subscribing to any other services they offer.This will be a situation 'good enough' to suffice for now. I do believe, however, that a fair price for broadband cable internet in the US is presently around 30 dollars per month. In my area, folks are assumed financially well off, and are treated pretty much as cash cows. Trouble is, with this stinkin' economy, cash cows are becoming increasingly less prevalent.It's too bad that one has to resort to standing outside on a 10th story window ledge and holding a gun to their head to get such a deal, but so long as one is actually willing to commit 'broadband suicide', Comcast apparently is willing to meet you at least half way.I am very glad I have kept my one Verizon POTS line, plus my 4.95 per month dialup ISP. I will continue to, for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

...a fair price for broadband cable internet in the US is presently around 30 dollars per month
Good luck trying to get a fair price since cable is a monopoly almost everywhere! In my part of PA, I can pay Verizon $20 plus maybe some tacked on taxes for 1Mbps or Comcast $45 (it just was raised $2/month) for 12Mbps. I distrust Comcast less than Verizon and for the 12 times faster download speed, I selected Comcast. I've been with them since June 2004 and this was the first price increase in the 6 years I've had the service.My mom lives in Allentown and that is one of the few places that has two cable companies: RCN and Service Electric so her tv prices are lower than ours because there is competition. She doesn't own a computer so I have no idea what broadband costs.

Cluttermagnet

I got home late Wednesday night/ Thursday morning to find that Comcast had cut me off. I'm typing this from Win98SE and running on my external modem at 28,800 BPS. Ugh! The contractor/ account retention person had told me my disconnection date was something like July 26th- or maybe 29th? Anyway, I had requested disconnection on Wednesday the 21st, and that's certainly what I got. This may be more about the unpaid 1 month balance due. They have never been so strict in the past. My payment record was good. So I really don't know if this is about the unpaid balance or simply my disconnect request being honored. The proverbial left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, etc.This is very likely to complicate matters, and opens the very real possibility that I will never be able to conclude my deal with Comcast, as offered by their representative/ contractor. Certainly I will never pay any late fee under these circumstances. Both sides were negotiating in good faith IMO and I relied heavily on what the contractor told me regarding the disconnect date.We'll see what we can salvage on Friday when the contractor will supposedly call me between 3-4PM local (it is impossible to call and reach them, it's only a one way thing). I had promised to have the unpaid balance paid off by then. Now, due to the unexpected disconnect, I will withold that payment until I see what they intend to do about any potential late fee. This means, best case, that our negotiation will extend into the following week, and that, in turn, guarantees I will not have broadband cable internet until some time next week at the earliest. Perhaps all this can still be straightened out. If they intend to charge any sort of reconnection fee, that is also a deal killer. I negotiated in good faith, so too, the rep- but maybe Comcast not so much.Yes, this is all discouraging... :lol:

I am very glad I have kept my one Verizon POTS line, plus my 4.95 per month dialup ISP. I will continue to, for the foreseeable future.
Hoo boy, am I glad!They weren't able to deprive me of internet,they can only make it miserable for me- for a short while. :P :o Edited by Cluttermagnet

I read that some pay $20.00 pewr month for internet But in my part pof Pa the only choice I have for high speed is verizon and I pay $31.95 a month The only alternative is dial up , Or of course Hughes Net which is available anywhere and is much more than I am paying now

securitybreach

Luckily where I live in Pennsylvania there are a few ISPs to choose from. I have a cable modem through Atlantic Broadband and I think they have a basic edition for $29 a month and a "all-in-one" (cable/internet/phone) for $100. I personally pay $59 a month for their "deluxe" 9mbps connection which is super fast. Also, there is Verizon, Satellite (DirectTV/Dish), and about 6 local companies for broadband. So we are pretty lucky here. Of course I live right downtown.

I also have their " Package " internet and phone for $69.95 but when I get thgeir bill at the end of the month it translates into $80.00 Plus after they add on different charges . They also have the triple package for $100.00 plus but again hidden charges bring that figure up to around $140.00

Edited by georgeg4

Cluttermagnet
I read that some pay $20.00 pewr month for internet But in my part pof Pa the only choice I have for high speed is verizon and I pay $31.95 a month The only alternative is dial up , Or of course Hughes Net which is available anywhere and is much more than I am paying now
31.95 is a pretty good rate. Is that cable internet or DSL, George?

Cluttermagnet
Luckily where I live in Pennsylvania there are a few ISPs to choose from. I have a cable modem through Atlantic Broadband and I think they have a basic edition for $29 a month and a "all-in-one" (cable/internet/phone) for $100. I personally pay $59 a month for their "deluxe" 9mbps connection which is super fast. Also, there is Verizon, Satellite (DirectTV/Dish), and about 6 local companies for broadband. So we are pretty lucky here. Of course I live right downtown.
Lucky indeed. Sounds like real competition there, Josh. :thumbsup:

I personally pay $59 a month for their "deluxe" 9mbps connection which is super fast.
Read and weep: http://www.welho.fi/en/homes/broadbandMore generally: if you're "on cable" in Finland, a 100/5-meg-connection costs €35-45/month. If DSL is your only option, it'll cost you pretty much the same (24/5 M).

Cluttermagnet
I did weep. But not because I read the prices- because, when I foolishly enabled javascript to let this silly site do its thing, it promptly froze/crashed my poor little FF v.1.5 browser running under Win98SE. :thumbsup: I hate dialup. But it does still work, if one has limitless time/ patience.I want my cable back. :w00t: I'll settle for some wi-fi. :whistling:

I did weep. But not because I read the prices- because, when I foolishly enabled javascript to let this silly site do its thing, it promptly froze/crashed my poor little FF v.1.5 browser running under Win98SE. :thumbsup: I hate dialup. But it does still work, if one has limitless time/ patience.I want my cable back. :w00t: I'll settle for some wi-fi. :whistling:
Did you check TigerDirect for that wireless pay-only-when-you-play adapter? You pay a certain amount up front, and use it 'till your account gets down to zero. The adapter was in the $36.00 range when it was on sale. I don't know for sure, but I don't think that it is locked into only one provider. This will hook up to cell phone towers which are all over the place. It should be much faster than dial-up, and you are not tied up to only one location to access the Internet.Cheers!

securitybreach
Read and weep: http://www.welho.fi/en/homes/broadbandMore generally: if you're "on cable" in Finland, a 100/5-meg-connection costs €35-45/month. If DSL is your only option, it'll cost you pretty much the same (24/5 M).
Yeah I know, the United States ranks pretty low on the worldwide broadband connectivity/price/speed. But I have read that most European ISPs cap their data usage on broadband plans.This chart says the US is #18 on broadband speeds by country. http://www.webanalyticsworld.net/2010/01/f...by-country.htmlAlso, from the ISP you linked to:
The actual connection speed is, however, as a rule, at least half of the reported maximum speed.

securitybreach
Did you check TigerDirect for that wireless pay-only-when-you-play adapter? You pay a certain amount up front, and use it 'till your account gets down to zero. The adapter was in the $36.00 range when it was on sale. I don't know for sure, but I don't think that it is locked into only one provider. This will hook up to cell phone towers which are all over the place. It should be much faster than dial-up, and you are not tied up to only one location to access the Internet.Cheers!
It sounds nice until you scroll down and look at the pricing:
$25 - 250MB $45 - 600MB$75 - 1 GB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...07&csid=_25So basically you are looking at around $45-$75 to download one iso.

It sounds nice until you scroll down and look at the pricing:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...07&csid=_25So basically you are looking at around $45-$75 to download one iso.
I wish I could knock them on the head to get the greed out of there. It sure is sad! They could be making so much more money if they lowered their price, and make it accessable and affordable to many more people.

securitybreach

I was actually excited when I first seen the cards. Then I read the pricing and was dissappointed. Are they crazy or just "slow in the head"?

I'd sooner drive to a hotspot (paying for gas) than paying the exorbitant prices for those wireless plans.Clutter, save your money for a netbook then spend time at free hotspots: McDonalds, Starbucks, Panera Bakery to name three chains with pretty many locations. There are probably smaller lesser known ones too. If you have Giant supermarkets, they offer free wifi.

I was actually excited when I first seen the cards. Then I read the pricing and was dissappointed. Are they crazy or just "slow in the head"?
You missed one, they are crazy, "slow in the head", and very greedy!

Cluttermagnet

Wow- great input, guys. I'll mull it all over later. A netbook is starting to look pretty good, in fact. I'll start to pay attention in that area, learn who is saying what about which models. I have a hunch I can still get my deal with Comcast- only time will tell. But this little bump in the road has awakened me, and I'll be learning my options, albeit slowly. This may ultimately prove to be very much to Comcast's disadvantage. They should know better. Consumers are starting to wise up, maybe?Dang, dialup is soooooooo slooooooow! But it still works, more or less...

Cluttermagnet
I want my cable back. :w00t: I'll settle for some wi-fi. :hysterical:
Just to update, for sake of completeness to the narrative...Concast's contractor did not call me Friday as promised. I placed a call to Concast and asked to be contacted by these bozos, as we had a deal on the table. Probably they noticed that I had not paid off the 60 dollar balance from last month as I promised. This is because they cut me off on the 21st, and I now fear that they will try hitting me with a late fee or a reconnection fee. That will never fly. They gave me bad info regarding my scheduled disconnect date. They had it happening later, not last week. I relied on their info, and that info was wrong. Thus, a window for getting this deal done was lost, perhaps forever.So it's the classical standoff, and I now need for them to reiterrate what the terms are going to be and whether they intend to assess fees. This deal may or may not ever get off the ground. :P :w00t: BTW I'm getting a blistering 31,200 Kbps on dialup this morning. ;)

Comcast can hurt you pretty badly, if they want to. It's called "credit report". That can give you a long standing bad rating. I'd check with the credit reporting entities to find out if they've already done that. If you catch it in time, you can contest it and get it fixed, before it becomes a permanent record seen by other vendors you may want to deal with in the future.

Cluttermagnet

The calls from the contractor tapered off rapidly at the beginning of the week- two calls on Monday, one on Tuesday morning, and none of them at a time I was going to be able to see and take the call. I now despair about ever getting that deal done. I did call Concast and asked them once again to request the contractor to contact me, and which hours would work.What an insane setup. Right hand doesn't know what the left is doing, etc. And I can't call these contractor folks, all I can do is sit by the phone (not going to happen) or pray that they happen to get lucky and call when I'm available. Disgusting. Maddening!My wireless card came. I played with it a little. The hardware is 'good'

sudo lshw -C network

showed that Ubuntu 10.04 (live CD session) could see the card and that a driver had been loaded. But-

sudo iwconfig

said, in so many words, that it wasn't finding anything (very much doubt that) or else that nothing was making it try to find anything. Frankly, I can't remember what it said. I should write these things down. But I was getting hassled because I was tying up my friend's computer as well as another I had the wireless card on. Had to stop. Maybe I was just meant for dialup.The wireless card came with some linux drivers that launch a monitor program, but it is a tarball and from what I have read, I'm not yet up to compiling my own stuff to get a .deb formatted package. Overall, I couldn't get the job done on my own, even having a working Ethernet and two computers available. Mainly because I haven't the slightest idea, hardly, of what I'm trying to do here. I think I need to get a monitor/control program installed and running, for starters.Is there any consensus in here as to which recent Linux distros might be easiest to work with for a wireless card in the live CD mode, also in installed OS mode? I definitely need 'easy', as I have looked at some of the Terminal hacking sequences guys put up on the net, and my eyes start to glaze over. I can handle 'a little' work in the Terminal, but not what I was seeing. I have to run between residences, run between computers, install and uninstall PCI cards, switch between OS's constantly, and I'm beginning to whine and belly ache at this point. I knew there was a reason why I studiously avoided nearly all networking until now. It's probably one of the more horrific and mind-numbing tasks on a desktop or lappie, for that matter- IMO. :w00t: I'm thinking a little about trying that program that allows the use of Windows drivers. Can't remember the name of it right now. Have heard that name many times in here, however.Remember, all of this is a royal pain because right now all I have at home is dialup. I can't really download much.Oh, did I mention I am discouraged? :unsure:

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Try Linux Mint 9Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, Fluxbox desktops available.Based on Ubuntu with a lot of tweaks to make complicated tasks, like you are running into, easy.