9.2 updates

mike180

OwynI have a simpler solution . . .send me a PM with an email address . . . . someone sent me 4 Mandrake 9.2 CD´s and the 4th is an update cd . . it has a directory "updates" ( smaller then the one that is up now ) in that directory there are 4 text files: discriptions, ls-Ir, md5sums and TRANS.TBL . . . . . This is the way to do it !I will send you the full directory ( 11MB ) by mail . . . all you have to do then is to add the new files and add them to the lists.:lol: Bruno

Guest LilBambi
Fran, that´s a clever system ! . . . can you look on the CD in a file manager what files there are on the CD next to the RPM´s ?:lol: Bruno
ah, yes, I can, but not for a little while ... I am in the middle of a Mandrake install! :lol:

Fran, no problem . . . we have found the way to do it . . . Owyn is on the case !Owyn, Files are on their way to you ! This should be simple . . . . you will see !:lol: Bruno

BrunoI went and downloaded all the files to send to my adoptee and did the updates folder. Outside of it I copied the things I found in the outer folder on the drive. It had descriptions, hdlist.cz, list, ls-lr, md5sums, pubkey, synthesis.hdlist.cz and timestamp but no trans.tbl. Where do you find that file? Do I dump the other files?

Julia,Better wait with the updates till Owyn has made the files that go with them, that will be easier on the adoptee . . . Owyn, I accidently shut down the computer that was sending the files . . . will send them again . . LOLB) Bruno

Edited by Bruno

BrunoIf I'm following this correctly...owyn will compile and test the files needed for update, then we will add the Updated files and basiclly create a 4 CD set for adoptee's...is my understanding correct?

Thanks...Just making sure the mind was understanding what I was reading. ;) You know us old Chiefs...we need pictures :w00t: ...Sounds like great plan!!!!

Hi Bruno:Just to confirm I did receive the files. I am just in and out at the moment and will out most of the day tomorrow. Working plan is to create the test CD (I just started the download of the updates) before I do the test install of 9.2 on my test system.I will then add the update CD in as the update source and apply the updates.Next, I will replace the update source with the FTP site. If nothing has changed on the update site then I should get a void list for the updates. I have a program which should compare the FTP site to the downloaded mirror. Will use that to double check. Also planning to test rsync.I am planning to put two scripts on the CD as well. The first script will set the urpmi site to the CD. The second will point it to the FTP site.I have a free web site available with my DSL account. Planning to activate the site and upload the files when everything is working. That should get around the email size limits.Does this sound like it should cover all the bases?

Whew. Finally back in Linux land and time to work on Mandrake 9.2 again.First tests successfully completed. Now I have to clean the procedures up and do everything from command line. Also need to wait for dust to settle re. re-mastered ISOs.Quick overview of steps I used. Detailed step by step to follow.1)Used wget to mirror ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ake/updates/9.22)Created Update92 CD using ...//Mandrake/updates/9.2 as base3)Used MCC->Software Media Manager to add Update9.2 CD. Let it automatically find base.4)Added ftp.nluug as update source5)Cut and pasted Update 9.2 removable... definition over nluug update source definition6)Removed Update92 as normal source7)Shut down MCC8)Checked /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg. Clean. Just 3 standard CDs plus new update.source from CD.9)Ran MCC->Updates. Worked no problems.It looks like this is not going to require any complicated setups, and in particular, is not going to need access to any web resources that are not already generally available.Working plan is to create new CDs from latest when available. I will then re-install 9.2 on my test system and do everything except selecting and installing the updates by command line. Also still need to test rsync update from the nluug site to my local mirror.

5)Cut and pasted Update 9.2 removable... definition over nluug update source definition
You lost me on that part.Now to see if I have things figured out. I have all the RPMs saved to a directory labeled updates. I want to burn them to a CD to use to send to my adoptee. Do I need to do anything else? Do I need any of the files that were up one directory from the directory that contained all the RPMs?

5)Cut and pasted Update 9.2 removable... definition over nluug update source definition
You lost me on that part.
I used the edit function in Media Manager to get the "removable..." spec for the CD. Selected and copied it.I then edited the nluug update.source definition and replaced the "ftp... " spec for nluug with the "removable..." spec for the CD. This quick and dirty approach let me get the correct specs without figuring out the command line equivalent (not really lazy, but, I was trying to get this to work).
Now to see if I have things figured out.  I have all the RPMs saved to a directory labeled updates.  I want to burn them to a CD to use to send to my adoptee.  Do I need to do anything else?  Do I need any of the files that were up one directory from the directory that contained all the RPMs?
You must have everything from the .../9.2 tree. I chose to create the CD starting at .../Mandrake to have better self documentation on the CD.

I think I have it then.  I copied everything over.  Guess I will check it and make sure all is well and then get it ready to go.  :D
Hold off for a day or two Julia. I am still expecting a remastered ISO1 with the -21mdk kernel. Am also expecting a few more updates to show up in the mirrors real soon now.I am using the end of the month (ummm. Halloween. ummm) as my planned cut off date. I will also have full written instructions by then which can be placed as a README file on the update CD.I want to make sure I can go through a clean install of 9.2 before I ship anything.

I just downloaded the ISO images from the Club FTP address sent to me from my request. I was hoping it would be a remastered image but the MD5sums showed it was the same as the initial release. :D I will practice my patience. Don't have much else to do this week. :D

Bruno:Have you seen anything yet about the official updated ISO's?I wanted to get the install and update test finished this weekend. Don't expect any problems at all, but, want to get the procedures proofed and tested.

Nothing official yet Owyn . . . . but keep in mind: the French are slow . . it might easily take another 2 weeks. Mandrake is very bad in keeping deadlines :thumbsup: :DB) Bruno

Nothing official yet Owyn . . . . but keep in mind: the French are slow . . it might easily take another 2 weeks. Mandrake is very bad in keeping deadlines B) :o
Tell me about it, I work for a French manufacturer of jets. :thumbsup: