9.2 updates

mike180

Mike,Yep I know . . . and I had even more . . + 100 MB . . . but then I did add a lot of extra software in the MCC . . . ;)Thanks for the heads up !;) Bruno

help
Just send you a reply on your PM . . After updating and closing the MCC wait 60 seconds to open the Menu . . . the cache needs to be updated and that takes 60 sec.Or try:$ update-menusAnd stay away from the menu for 60 sec.;) Bruno

Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/usr/share/applnk-mdk/Configuration/Configure your computer.desktop does not exist. ;) B) mike180

RE: 85-100+ updatesOh, great ... haven't even got it installed yet and it's obsolete! LOL!  :w00t:
Fran,We will have to arrange you the upates on a CD . . . can be done ! In the mean time just install it and it is pretty stable without the updates . . . maybe only download the bugfixes, that should be less . . . . and if you´re behind a good ( hardware ) firewall the security updates will come later.B) Bruno

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...pdates/9.2/RPMSBurn those to CD . . . then they should go first to the MCC look for the updates they need . . note down the packages+numbers .. . close the MCC and click on the packages on the CD ( with the connection UP ) And only install those that the MCC came up with.Alternatively, you could try to replace the update source ( in the sources ) with the path to the CD and see if that works . . not sure, but worth trying . . :w00t: BrunoPS: But I would wait a few weeks till there are even more updates fill a CD to the max . . . it runs fine without till then. . Edited by Bruno

Guest LilBambi

Thanks Bruno...that will be a great help :w00t: I am behind a separate layer of protection regardless so waiting a bit for the major junk of updates to be gotten to after the new release would be great ... get more done that way. B)

Alternatively, you could try to replace the update source ( in the sources ) with the path to the CD and see if that works . . not sure, but worth trying . .
I will read up on creating the descriptor file for a source. Should be part of the procedure for creating an update mirror.

Got it

How do I customize a Redhat/Mandrake CD?Mirror the distribution locally on your hard drive. Use the "mirror" program or simply recursively copy an existing CD.Use the mirror program to obtain updates. Or manually download updates and new boot images and incorporate them into your mirrored tree. Your can manually remove the old files or run the bash script found in the Redhat-CD mini-howto. You can also put whatever you want on the cd in your mirrored tree. Be careful about space limitations.Run the program genhdlist on your mirrored distribution on the directory that will become the root of the cd:    misc/src/install/genhdlist /[path_to_mirror]/genhdlist is located in different places for different releases and distributions.Run the following command to make an image of your mirror in the root of the mirrored directory.    mkisofs -b images/boot.img -c boot.cat -f -J -l -L -r -v -V volume_label -o name_of_image ./Volume_label is the volume label for your CD. Then burn the image:    cdrecord -v -eject speed=4 dev=0,6,0 name_of_imageRead the Redhat-CD mini-howto for many other options to play with on your customized Redhat/Mandrake cd.

Mandrake always bundles the latest versions of KDE and other programs, the bugs are not always directly related to Mandrake but more to the wish to be cutting edge and be one step ahead on the competition. Sure the downside is that there are lots of updates in the first few months, but you do get something in return. :)Install VectorLinux ( Slackware based ) and you will only have 40KB updates even after 6 months :thumbsup: ;) Bruno

Edited by Bruno

Not sure if I have been reading the mailing list properly, but, it looks like you need to run "update-menus" after install to get your KDE apps added.
Owyn, that is correct . . . or wait 60 seconds to open the menu after adding software, give it time to write the new menu to cache . . . this is the problem Mike180 had yesterday and he solved it with "update-menu".Now, comming back to the updateCD, did you see the files: hdlist.cz, synthesis.hdlist.cz, pubkey, lists, etc in the directory "base" thet is one level up from the RMPS directory of the link I posted here above ?If those files, who are downloaded/synchronized first as you contact the mirror are corrupt yo can´t get the updates anymore because it will tell you there are no updates. So IMO they are pretty important when it comes to updating.Changing the path in those files so it points to your CDrom and not to the mirror might be the solution.Mostly in cases where people ( like Rolana, Yooper, but also Julia ) ended up with a corrupt update database, replacing the hdlist.cz and synthesis.hdlist.cz with the one I had on my computer and adding the same ftp source I had, solved the problems and they could update again.:lol: Bruno

Not sure if I have been reading the mailing list properly, but, it looks like you need to run "update-menus" after install to get your KDE apps added.
Owyn, that is correct . . . or wait 60 seconds to open the menu after adding software, give it time to write the new menu to cache . . . this is the problem Mike180 had yesterday and he solved it with "update-menu".
What I was looking at was the KDE-apps missing thread. It appears that there is some sort of glitch in the default setup which is cleaned up by "update-menus -v". Apparently this is fixed by one of the updates.
Now, comming back to the updateCD, did you see the files: hdlist.cz, synthesis.hdlist.cz, pubkey, lists, etc in the directory "base" thet is one level up from the RMPS directory of the link I posted here above ?If those files, who are downloaded/synchronized first as you contact the mirror are corrupt yo can´t get the updates anymore because it will tell you there are no updates. So IMO they are pretty important when it comes to updating.Changing the path in those files so it points to your CDrom and not to the mirror might be the solution.Mostly in cases where people ( like Rolana, Yooper, but also Julia ) ended up with a corrupt update database, replacing the hdlist.cz and synthesis.hdlist.cz with the one I had on my computer and adding the same ftp source I had, solved the problems and they could update again.
Got it ( I think). If I mirror fromftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ake/updates/9.2I should be able to pick up everything and use it as a base to create an Updates92 CD which I can then add to sources after the original 3 CDs.Question: Can you have more than one update source (ie. Go to CD first, if not there go to Net)?

Got it ( I think). If I mirror fromftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ake/updates/9.2I should be able to pick up everything and use it as a base to create an Updates92 CD which I can then add to sources after the original 3 CDs.
That´s what I was thinking . . .
Question: Can you have more than one update source (ie. Go to CD first, if not there go to Net)?
This looks like a real challenge, you will just have to run some tests there.I know some CD services sell update CD´s after a month or so, but I think they just copy the rpm´s and advise you to have the connection UP to get the dependencies needed . . . . . Fran has such a CD ( I sent it to her ) for RedHat 9 ( CD4 ) maybe she can have a look on that one if next to the rpm´s there are index files or such.:lol: Bruno

Guest LilBambi

Bruno,I just put the CD in, it asked for the root password and loaded an add/remove Applications screen similar to the add/remove Applications in the System Settings. Just click to install the things you wish to install and go. :lol:

Fran, that´s a clever system ! . . . can you look on the CD in a file manager what files there are on the CD next to the RPM´s ?:lol: Bruno

This cooker thread suggests the likelihood of a remastered download CD1. The driving force appears to be the LG problem plus the critical updates are on CD1.If it actually happens it will probably be the best solution.Noticed the originator of the thread is planning to test building his own updated CDs.