Arch Installation

SueD

SB, I thought I could figure out your instructions after rereading them so much since last night but I'm having trouble right from the start.:(I don't want to Auto-Prepare because this HD's got Mandriva, Slackware and Zenwalk on here already so I chose Manually Partition Hard Drives and tell it sda. There are all my existing partitions, from sda1 to sda8. Everything looks good so far. However, the remainder of the HD says it's unusable. Huh?How do I get past this?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SueD

• securitybreach

• V.T. Eric Layton

• regexorcist

securitybreach

To begin with I assume you are in cfdisk, the terminal-based partitioner?I have never witnessed this problem myself since I have not had more than 6 partitons at at time before. But I do know that you can have up to 16 partitions per disk, 4 Primary and 12 Logical partitions. First of all I would boot another livecd/partitions and check to if the space can be seen from there. I would also try rebooting and trying the livecd again since something may had went wrong. I will have to research the issue some and see what I can come up with. I have to go to work in a few hours so I will try to post something tonight around 9 or 10 EST

If I can't get past this, can I create partitions with Mandriva's LiveCD and then go from there?
Yes. my disks are already partitioned but if I want to do any work on them I always boot into a pclinuxos livecd - very similar to mandriva of course. I currently have 17 partitions over two hds and boot 10-11 distros at any one time. I never try to partition a disk as part of an install process - I know you can but this just works for me.From your post I'm guessing you have area on your hd that isn't partitioned right now? Using your mandriva livecd you should have no problem partitioning the remainder of your hd. When I became a distro hopping whore :) , I sat down and figured out what I might want/need in the future and partitioned for that even if I didn't plan on immediately using all the partitions. I currently have an ntfs partition for xp, two vfat partitions - one on each hd for redundancy - for sharing files amongst all distros and windows, a swap, and thirteen ext3/4 partitions. I currently have two versions of Arch installed - a basic 64 bit one and a test enabled 686 one. I was very frustrated the first couple of times I tried installing Arch - but it was a great learning experience. Now that I've done it many times (I know just enough to be dangerous and keep breaking things), I can almost do it from memory. Make sure you have access to the install guide as you are installing.

Thanks!I have about 150GB or so left on my HD that isn't partitioned. I only partition when I want to use the space for another distro. I've always used Mandriva or PCLos's partitioning tool to do so. It's nice to know I can do it here too. :)

securitybreach

Yup thecdnis is completely correct. You can make your partitions in any distro and choose them in the Arch installation mountpoints section. Thanks a lot for the informative post thecdnis!!!!

securitybreach
Yay, finally got my partitions done!On to Select Packages. :)
Awesome!!! I am about to leave but if you have any questions, I will be back online tonight. If you follow the tutorials, I do not think you will have too many issues.

Can't keep a good 'splorer down. ;)Thanks SB, I got done to where I install grub. Since I'm using Mandriva's grub, I chose to put it in Arch's /root. Now I need a little help in what to put in MDV's menu.lst.

Hi Sue!What about starting with;

title archroot (hd0,0)makeactivechainloader +1

adapting it, of course to your own needs, like changing where root is.Unless Arch comes with Grub-2.

Hi Sue!What about starting with;
title arch root (hd0,0) makeactive chainloader +1

adapting it, of course to your own needs, like changing where root is.Unless Arch comes with Grub-2.

Thanks Réjean, it won't hurt to try that, eh. :hysterical:

Booting 'Arch'root (hd0,8)Filesystem type is ext 2fs, partition type 0x83makeactiveError 12: Invalid device requested
Thing is, I am using ext3.Temmu, I'm just bored and needed a challenge. Join me on the dark side...we've got cookies! Besides, you can run Debian based distros, I can't on this machine. *sigh*

V.T. Eric Layton

Sue, I wouldn't chainload Arch. That's just me, though. You can try to boot it directly by using a similar menu.lst entry to this one:

title		Arch Linux root		(hd*,*)kernel		/boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sd*initrd		/boot/kernel26.img

Filling in where the *s are with your own info.

Which menu.lst...Mandriva's? I just tried that. Not sure it worked though but I did get a little further in than I did with Réjean's suggestion.The line I've got just before the prompt says "If the device '/dev/sd9' gets created while you are here, try adding 'rootdelay=10' or higher to the kernel command-line"ramfs$

V.T. Eric Layton

Please give me:1) your Arch Linux root partition name/number2) the contents of your Arch Linux /boot directory3) your current entry for Arch in Mandriva's menu.lstAlso, look in Arch Linux /boot/grub and see if there is a menu.lst in there. What do the entries for booting Arch look like in that menu.lst? Please post here also. :)

Please give me:1) your Arch Linux root partition name/number2) the contents of your Arch Linux /boot directory3) your current entry for Arch in Mandriva's menu.lstAlso, look in Arch Linux /boot/grub and see if there is a menu.lst in there. What do the entries for booting Arch look like in that menu.lst? Please post here also. :)
1) hda92) can't cd to /boot3) /boot/grub/menu.lst: No such file or directory

Shoot :) and also :rolleyes: Someone else WITH EVEN MORE LINUX SAVVY THAN Moi was also derailed a little at partitioningCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup: :"> SueD HOPE you did not mind this little self esteem booster for moi

Edited by kamicota

LOL! Not at all Colin. As I see it, the partitioning was just a little bump in the road. When you're accustomed to doing it one way, it's a little difficult to learn it anew, especially when it doesn't go well.;)Trust me, I have no more linux savvy than you do. I'm a mere explorer. :)

V.T. Eric Layton
1) hda92) can't cd to /boot3) /boot/grub/menu.lst: No such file or directory
You can't mount that partition to get that info, Sue?
Sue_as_root_in_Mandriva: # mount /dev/hda9 /mnt# cd /mnt/boot# ls -l

Also, I wanted the menu.lst entry for Arch that you put in MANDRIVA'S menu.lst. :)=====I tell you what... just try this entry for Arch in your Mandriva menu.lst:

title		Arch Linuxroot		(hd0,8)kernel		/boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda9initrd		/boot/kernel26.img

... and see what happens. If that doesn't work, then you can give me:

2) the contents of your Arch Linux /boot directory3) your current entry for Arch in Mandriva's menu.lstAlso, look in Arch Linux /boot/grub and see if there is a menu.lst in there. What do the entries for booting Arch look like in that menu.lst?
Weeeeeeeeeee! We're havin' fun now. fight2.gif

securitybreach

Sue, do not give up. You are so close....I would suggest first try the grub entry that Eric posted in his last entry except you need to add ro for read-only after /dev/hda9.

title Arch Linuxroot (hd0,8)kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda9 roinitrd /boot/kernel26.img
and the framebuffer resolution if you want a nice looking boot up.
#	 +-------------------------------------------------+   #			| 640x480	800x600	1024x768   1280x1024   #	  ----+--------------------------------------------   #	  256 | 0x301=769  0x303=771  0x305=773   0x307=775   #	  32K | 0x310=784  0x313=787  0x316=790   0x319=793   #	  64K | 0x311=785  0x314=788  0x317=791   0x31A=794   #	  16M | 0x312=786  0x315=789  0x318=792   0x31B=795   #	 +-------------------------------------------------+

For instance my grub1 entry:

# (0) Arch Linuxtitle  Arch Linuxroot   (hd0,1)kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda2 ro vga=0x369initrd /boot/kernel26.img

Hope that helps

You can do it Sue!!! :) I just finished installing Arch and I everything is where it's supposed to be.Edited a few config files, installed the base system, ati driver, xorg, a few utilities, fluxbox, firefox and here I am online!!Note:Securitybreach, Arch installed like a dream, thanks for the awesome tutorial.I've never been this minimal with any other distro while running X and firefox.Arch has some real potential!!!Come on SUE, you can do it!!!

securitybreach

AWESOME Rick!!!I am glad you got it up and running nicely. Just out of curiosity, did you find anything in the tutorial that needed changing or anything not clear enoughNow you understand why I like using Archlinux, your so lightweight when running Arch. Even with a fast system it is always nice to be lean and clean.

Your tutorial was very clear, but my system is plain vanilla(everything was detected) and I did a network install, so I only needed about 1/4 of the tutorial.I can't thank you enough, because there were key commands in the tutorial that made the install go like clockwork.I needed this after that gentoo fiasco...Did you laugh at the end of my gentoo tutorial??

securitybreach

No not really., I actually want to try to do an install again. Your tutorial will help out..I am glad that my tutorial was beneficial!!!!

Couldn't mount as hda so tried sda...

[root@localhost sue]# mount /dev/sda9 /mnt[root@localhost sue]# cd /mnt/boot[root@localhost boot]# ls -ltotal 8904drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-01-08 14:44 grub/-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5836292 2010-01-08 14:42 kernel26-fallback.img-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 579915 2010-01-08 14:40 kernel26.img-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 897132 2009-07-31 14:13 System.map26-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1766048 2009-07-31 14:13 vmlinuz26
I'll change MDV's grub again and see if that doesn't help.

Aha, progress! I can now boot into Arch. :hysterical: On thing though, got this message and wasn't quite sure what to do so I'm back in Mandriva...

FILE SYSTEM CHECK FAILEDPlease repair manually and reboot. Note that the root file system is currently mounted read-only. To remount it read-write type: mount -n -o remount,rw /
Is this all part of the process?