• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• striker

• SueD

• ozgeek

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

Another laptop? Tower? :thumbsup:
I haven't got the room for another tower but I have been looking at laptops. I'd say stay tuned but it could be months before I actually buy something.LOL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

it's here, it's here. somebody pinch me i must be dreamin'. it's a sweet dream. ;) it was announced on their forums and email notifications yesterday. it's not on distrowatch yet. the torrent download was fast for me, lots of seeders.http://dreamlinuxforums.org/index.php?topic=1142.0http://www.mininova.org/tor/1282584it works like a dream for me in virtualbox. i can't find anything wrong. even my flickr slideshow creation went smoothly.statichttp://www.flickr.com/photos/dreamlinux_in_virtualbox/slideshowhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/dreamlinux_in_virtualbox/show/

Does the installer offer to setup a separated /home partition ?From what I could gather from their announcement it obviously does not.

i couldn't really say, striker. while reviewing my slideshow i did notice that my install procedure seemed weak. i couldn't tell if it was dreamlinux or my approach. i just clicked the icon on the desktop to start it. that's probably why i got that popup error about not finding partitions. it does use gparted, so maybe using that ahead of time might be a better approach.edit...i just read their announcement. actually it says that should work ok.

I have tested all the possibilities we have been discussing in the Forum regarding installations schemes: One partition only, /home in separated partition, Grub installed to mbr, Grub installed to root, etc.. All of them, except for xfs as the root partition (due to that Grub flaw) worked nicely and neatly.
maybe that "use entire disk" option might be a little weak. Edited by cybormoron

Thanks steve. Found this:

DLI is creating only two partitions in the HDD: one 1GB swap partition and the rest of the disk dedicated to the root partition. And I am using ext3 to this root partition. I know it is not the most efficient one (actually it is extremely inneficient in formating and setting up the journal) but it proved to be more reliable than reiserfs. Still regarding this issue, I did not have time to try out the other filesystems (xfs and jfs) in this "Entire Disk Install" scheme. What I can (and possibly will) do is to leave this filesystem type partition to reside inside dli.yaml (DLI configuration file) so, if anyone decides to try other filesystem for this specific task, it is just a matter of editing that file and change ext3 to jfs or whatever. I do not recommend xfs as root partition due to a known flaw on the current Grub incarnation regarding this.
at: http://dreamlinuxforums.org/index.php?topic=1142.0 at point 4 under section 'What our community can expect from this final DL3?'.Seems to me it's just pushed out and still not tested thoroughly enough. I'm skipping this one again and don't plan to wait any longer for it. ;)

securitybreach

I am downloading now but something odd has struck me from reading the forum post from one of the main developers under part 4 and 6:

The sad note in this process was that I made a confusion and reformated my working USB HDD (250 GB). So, all the stuff I have collected and developed, since I started the Dreamlinux Project back to 2005, is gone! One thing I am very disappointed is not to have had the time to work on my new kernel module (2.6.24 series). BTW, this was in that USB HDD drive I formatted!
http://dreamlinuxforums.org/index.php?topic=1142.0This guy is supposed to be one of three developers of DreamLinux and he accidentally deletes all of his work since 2005. ;) Even I know to use a test machine especially considering you can a get a 40gb external for next to nothing. Can you imagine what would happen if he accidentally deletes the package tree>? Hopefully those are backed up on external servers. Thanks Edited by securitybreach

Hi Steve . . . . links are added to the sticky post :wacko:
This guy is supposed to be one of three developers of DreamLinux and he accidentally deletes all of his work since 2005. :)
Ouch . . that hurts . . . . :( . . . . proves again the importance of backups !B) Bruno

His conclusion is a little contradictory but he does admit to having mixed feelings. I loved DL 2.2, except for that stupid dock (Ray told me how to disable it). Once you helped me to find how to configure my screen, I was extremely happy with it. It's the only Debian based distro that worked on either of my computers. But what made it so nice was the fact it installed easily and everything worked as it should have. If there were any bugs, I never came across them. 3.0/3.1 sounds like it could be a nightmare, especially for those who are new to Linux. Not everyone is as stubborn as me.I have no intention of getting this. Besides, I'm not allowed to do anything to the laptop anymore. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just (for the heck of it to see what' s all the trouble about) installed DreamLinux 3.1 Desktop Edition. :icon8: :icon8: It took two times.... let me explain.The distro in its live session started up OK without too much visible errors. I opted for the XFCE version. (there' s a gnome version too) Next I fiddled with the screensaver and power management settings because I knew when installing it blanks the screen after about 5 or ten minutes, I don' t want to disturb the (bad !!!!) installer.Next, I commenced with the install. No problem persee, however the grub install is a complete bug from A to Z : it just doesn' t work at all, it stalls at the grub install indefinitely. Only two options (out of four) seem to work, and from those two I can only acknowledge one of them: the other one I didn' t try.Those two working options for the grub install are:- install grub into MBR (which I refused because I have a perfect working MDV2008 grub)- do not install grub (this one I selected)So, with my second attempt to install this one :w00t: (spank it :icon8: ) I opted for the second above mentioned option. The first install hung at the grub install. :thumbsdown: Also: be aware that during the install there' s a phase where it copies the user directory to the partition you selected earlier... this akes a loooooooooooooooooooon time, in the mean time you can take a shower and a coffee and walk the dog out. >_< Then finally it goes into overdrive mode and finishes the install, alas like explained above without grub. A reboot is in order and a bit of work and have dinner. :devil: Next in MDV2008 I had to modify menu.lst of course. No big deal, however, DreamLinux is a bit quirky with regard to the notation it expects. I have a SATA disk in this notebook which every modern distro out there recognizes as sda, DL uses hda... and using a 2.6.23-12 kernel: go figure. :blink: Anyway, I managed to get it to boot into gui right now and am posting from it.Next on the program is to get the proprietary ATI driver loaded in here, let' s see what' s with that.Going to do that right now, after that I' ll post my grub entry for ya to see what' s up with that. :D

:icon8: :icon8: can' t tell yet, too early: but what I can tell is that at this state it is definitely not for beginners or people not comfortable to do a little CLI and grub editing.Further I just ' feel' rough edges here and there. Don' t get me wrong, it' s some time ago I had DL 2.1 and used it, but that one definitely felt a lot more polished and snappy, just more convincing. :icon8:

Your install post gave me a little giggle. I was wondering if the one from Distrowatch who took it for a test run had as much 'fun' as you did.LOLI think for the laptop, I'll stick with Absolute, thankyouverymuch. 3.1 just seems like too much trouble.

:icon8: just wait Sue, there's more:OK, like promised the menu.lst entry for DL from MDV2008:
title DreamLinux 3.1kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.12-dream root=/dev/hda9 ro quiet vga=791 splash resume=/dev/sda6initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.23.12-dream
Note: DL is installed at /dev/sda9.What I encountered further along the road:Upon reboot the screen and display were detected alright, spot on so to speak, however I need a 1680 x 1050 resolution: the display just showed me a 1280 x something in Homer Simpson mode (VESA) which I was not able to change with the GUI tools povided. There's a program through right click menu called Easy-install which provides amongst others a nvidia driver, however no sign of ATI .... so I had to fall back to synaptic and fetch it manually. Duh! Man o man, this synaptic thing in DL is sloooooooooooow, debians just flies compared to this thing! Anyway, I fetched and installed (I hope, synaptic just hung at the configuring of fglrx) the fglrx driver version 8.47.3-3...Adding time servers for auto synchronisation of the time doesn't work. You have to change time manually. (the servers are not being added)I spotted a broken package out-of-the-box... so much q and a control... libgimp was the culprit, I ws able to correct it through synaptic.Now on to the reboot to see what fglrx does, if it does anything at all... :icon8:

:icon8: You' re not confused Sue, ' it' s a feature' of DL .. >_< Took me a while to fiddle this out, otherwise it don' t start at all. (actually got it from the developer)(I think they patched the kernel, see the number: 2.6.23.12-dream, that's an uneven number (23) so an unstable version. Normal kernel nowadays in use is 24))Anyway, I' m in with the correct resolution now and fglrx driver, yep ! :blink: Did the complete shebang of updates through synaptic with its stock repos: 87 new packages to be installed5 packages to be removed564 will be upgraded.Downloading them took exactly 10 minutes with 1250 kB/s, not bad. But installing them : :icon8: Took one and a half hour, ahem, parden me, talking about a slow synaptic here. :icon8: Did the reboot after this ' circus' and lo and behold it still works, can you imagine? :devil: And on top of it I almost got knocked out of my chair here in the middle of the night with a nice start up sound, that works too now. (dang, the correction in Ieweasel doesn' t work...)More testing tomorrow. :thumbsdown:

I like the comments, particularly May be it can appeal to the people who would like a Mac but don't want to pay the price. After all, KDE is a friendly desktop for those migrating from Windows.But I don't think this one's for me.

Attempting to install more packages through synaptic. I noticed there are two browsers in the menu: iceweasel and FF, both are exactly the same and the same version also. More of this later.Overall notice: whole systems behavior is jerky.Reminds me of the RH 8 era on an old junker PC, while I have a dual core (2gB) with 2 gigs of RAM here now. (Kubuntu and MDV2008 just fly on this machine, but this one: don't mention it.) :whistling: