New Live CD: VectorLinux 3.2

Bruno

That´s him !! Go on install this jewel . . . ;) Even editing your fstab will be easy B)B) Bruno

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• quint

• tranquilo

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume I have to do a command to pull it up?  Or will it attach itself to a menu?
I never use the menu to call the MC, just open a console and type ¨mc¨, if you want to use the MC as root you do ¨su¨ first and then ¨mc¨, could not be more simple !B) Bruno

I assume I have to do a command to pull it up?  Or will it attach itself to a menu?
You can run midnight commander from any console. Simply type "mc" (without quotes). As far as the menu... it may be on the menu someplace, but I'm not a mandrake user... HTHtranquilo

Using MC I get this for my mouse and keyboard:Section “InputDevice†Identifier “Keyboard1†Driver “Keyboard†Option “Xkbmodel†“pc105†Option “XkbLayout†“us†Option “XkbCompat†“†Option “XkbOptions†“â€EndSectionSection “InputDevice†Identifier “Mouse1†Driver “mouse†Option “Protocol†“IMPS/2†Option “Device†“/dev/usbmouse†Option “ZAxisMapping†“4 5â€EndSectionDoes that mean I can change the Vector to read the same and it should work? Or am I trying to make this too simple?

No, not to simple, you can try it, see what it does . . . . you never know it might work, but I have doubts about the Live aspect.You could install the real Vector though and change the mouse settings there . . .B) Bruno

Now I have a challenge...... <Racing off to download real version while printing out commands to use to conifigure Vector!>

Install it with your tailed mouse and configure it later to the USB mouse . . . . Loving this . . . . a new install !! And it´s Vector, my little favorite Vector . . . B) :DB) Bruno

Julia,Perhaps download the SOHO version like Quint did, has more office programs and other browsers + email . . B) :DB) Bruno

I will have to look carefully at partitions so I don't do anything to my Drake! Don't touch my Drake! B)

I´m afraid the download is corrupt !You will have to do a new one, the ftp site is correct, hthe md5sum is too, has to be the download that is not !:lol: Bruno

Off to download I went. Started out great but then dropped back in speed. Thought I was going to have a quick download as it was at 153 KB/s but it dropped back to 60 so it looks like this will have to wait until tomorrow - either before or after work!

Off to download I went.  Started out great but then dropped back in speed.  Thought I was going to have a quick download as it was at 153 KB/s but it dropped back to 60 so it looks like this will have to wait until tomorrow - either before or after work!
Hi Julia, sorry to hear of your trouble with the d/l. :D Server's might have been busy...it's worth the effort, for sure - what a great Linux flavor this is! ;) I downloaded and burned four different CD's of the plain Vector before I gave up on it...still don't know the exact reason my PC could not install it. But now that I have VectorSOHO, am very glad I wasn't able to install the other. :lol: The installation process is much easier, IMO. Am very anxious to hear what you will think about it; have a good evening, and be careful. ;)

Vector SOHO is installed. I have not created a boot disk for it yet. The SOHO part adds in all the things I like about Drake. It gives me evolution, firebird (I assume - it said phoenix so it must just be an older version). I changed my mouse configuration to match my KDE config and I still can not use my wireless mouse. Another problem with vector is that it does not want to let me connect to the Internet. I can't quite figure out why it thinks I need to do something like have a name to connect. I might have to dig out my paperwork to see how everything works since it is through my router. Another funny thing is my screen was off center by a couple of inches. I can adapt to that but it is not something I would want to live with! ;) Guess I will have to tinker a bit to get it set up right. At least I know it is a possibility.

Good job, Julia !Glad the second download was better then the first one, things like that happen, that is why the md5sum is so important !So you got Vector installed, but did not make a bootdisk . . how will you be booting it then ? Gues you did let it overwrite the Mandake Lilo . . . no big deal we can always change that !The story about your mouse is a strange one . . . I have a wireless keyboard and mouse too, logitech, a real fancy one, and have no problems, the reciever though as two plugs I can plug in the ps2´s.I do remember the dsl connection needed a few things to get it going through the router, don´t remember what I did but after two times trying it did connect and has ever since.About the screen, just adapt it and center it with the buttons of your monitor, these settings will be remembered for Vector and not change them for Mandake or Windows. For me too with every distro I adapt the screen a tiny bit, once it is done the first time, the settings are stored and you´ll be fine.;) Bruno

No I did not overwrite the Lilo. I left the CD in then rebooted and told it not to install. That dropped me out to a prompt where I put in linuxroot=/dev/hdb9 and it went right to it! Something on the screen must have given me a clue to type that like linuxroot=? and I knew to just add where it was located. I was going to make a bootdisk but did not see that as an option. Will have to go back. Have some ideas about the connecting. I went and looked at how Drake has it set up and figured I would go copy that. I was afraid to change it on the monitor for fear it would mess up everything else. I did notice that this is the first one to correctly identify my monitor by brand and model. The others have just called it generic. That was pleasant to see. It handled all the hardware nicely as well. I do believe the SOHO version is a very nice balance between the pure Vector and Mandrake. Gives you the best of both worlds - if I can just connect. I guess I should go look at that again.

Vector SOHO is installed.  I have not created a boot disk for it yet.  The SOHO part adds in all the things I like about Drake.  It gives me evolution, firebird (I assume - it said phoenix so it must just be an older version).  I changed my mouse configuration to match my KDE config and I still can not use my wireless mouse.  Another problem with vector is that it does not want to let me connect to the Internet.  I can't quite figure out why it thinks I need to do something like have a name to connect.  I might have to dig out my paperwork to see how everything works since it is through my router. Another funny thing is my screen was off center by a couple of inches.  I can adapt to that but it is not something I would want to live with!  ;)  Guess I will have to tinker a bit to get it set up right.  At least I know it is a possibility.
Do you have a working Slackware configuration somewhere? If so, it would seem easy enough to copy the settings over to Vector. You might even try the same thing with Mandrake.:)tranquilo

I wrote down my settings from Drake so I could enter them in Vector. Slack is a dirty word to me right now. My attempt at Slack left me with reformatting and reinstalling Drake. I am sure it was something dumb I probably did. I only have 3 more days with this computer before it goes to hubby who will never boot out of XP, unless I totally kill XP when I replace the motherboard/CPU swap out the CD-RW drive. That, I am sure, will kick in the reauthorization and I will probably just put it back to 2000 rather than go through all that again. Don't think I will convert him to Linux yet. He still has not figured out how to work Outlook and Explorer correctly after 10 years of trying! ;)

Ach, come on be gentle on Hubby . . . some people have just more talent for computers then others . . . .don´t blame him ! Just blame yourself for being over-talented !;) Bruno

No Bruno! I don't blame him. I blame myself for always coming to his rescue. I enable him because I am always there to fix it for him or answer his questions! I give him books to study but he does not open them. ;)

How did Monty Python put it....ah, yes: "And now for something completely different...":Julia, don't really know if you ordered a monitor for that wonderful new system, but in case you're in the market, check this "candy":21 in. CRTNext stop on our "Help Teacher Equip Her New PC Tour": wireless Logitech mouse/keyboard combo's... :DLogitech Cordless Comfort ComboHappy shopping! :D

Excellent thinking Quit !!Always one step ahaid . . . . did you see the lovely: Sony FD Trinitron GDM-FW900 24 Inch Flat Widescreen CRT Monitor ??¨Widescreen¨, I guess you can boot and run two distro´s at the same time there, Mandrake on the right, Vector on the left side of the screen . . :( :DB) Bruno

Excellent thinking Quit !!Always one step ahaid . . . . did you see the lovely: Sony FD Trinitron GDM-FW900 24 Inch Flat Widescreen CRT Monitor ??¨Widescreen¨, I guess you can boot and run two distro´s at the same time there, Mandrake on the right, Vector on the left side of the screen . . :( :DB) Bruno
You are correct, Bruno,The Widescreen would be a great choice for Julia...but let us not forget her "Enormous and Extravagant Teacher's Salary" - she could easily afford this one:ViewSonic Plasma 42" :D :(

Quint I know, that would be even better . . . but knowing Julia she would not want to spend that much money ( not saying she´s a little tight ) :( . . though it looks like THE MONITOR to play ( and win ) a nice game of PONG !! :( :D :( Bruno

Quint I know, that would be even better . . . but knowing Julia she would not want to spend that much money ( not saying she´s a little tight ) B) . . though it looks like THE MONITOR to play ( and win ) a nice game of PONG !!  :( :D B) Bruno
:( :( Was just thinking - do you suppose Julia is feeling a "bee in her ear", at work, at the spa? Isn't it wonderful how we have all these "preparatory posts and passages" waiting for her perusal, on her return from a "hard day of work at the health spa"? :( :D