• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• quint

• tranquilo

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Bruno, "iso" is d/l'd, and the checksum is exact...when my chores are finished, will check it out - thanks, my friend. :lol:

:) Oh no, not another one! I think they'd do better to spend their time and effort on improving just the half dozen "main" Linux versions. I've managed to learn much more about using Linux by sticking with the three main versions (SuSE, Mandrake and RedHat) than I ever managed by trying out every new version that came along.

Hi JoyLive versions are just for fun . . . and trying your hardware compatability. Truth, there are coming a truckload of them on the mirrors lately ( since the ¨how-to-make-a-live-CD¨ is out on the net ) but VectorLinux, the real version, is one of my favorites for ¨old computers¨ the P1 everybody has up in the attic and is gathering dust. . . . . :) Bruno

Live versions are just for fun . . . and trying your hardware compatability. Truth, there are coming a truckload of them on the mirrors lately ( since the ¨how-to-make-a-live-CD¨ is out on the net ) but VectorLinux, the real version, is one of my favorites for ¨old computers¨ the P1 everybody has up in the attic and is gathering dust. . . . .
Bruno,That is true, but a small debian or slackware install + a light window manager works just fine on older computers... :) The only difference being with slack you need to know what to cut out, and with debian you need to know what to add.tranquilo

:) RedHat6.0 works on my P133 and Mandrake 7something ran on a Compaq P166, just had to leave out some of the fancy stuff. The Compaq died of old age, the HP P133 is still going great.

This is a pretty neat Live CD..writing from inside ..small compact..not alot of fluff (actually none)...This would be great for an older PC..LOL..this likes it tooTo me it is amazing what they can get on a CD..Abiword, Opera. and the needed Linux terminals...Way cool!Greengeek..I got Redhat 7.1 to work on a 166 PackardBell..ok Redhat running I thought was a given..the fact it ran on that PB ..That's the kicker..LOL, but then again I got ( with reading tons of notes from the Forum) PeanutLinux to run on it too..

Liked the "Vector Live CD" very much. Clean and well-defined; the "IceWM" desktop is great! Was wondering if there is a way to copy it to the harddrive, so that it will run faster than from the CD? The only reason why would like to do this, is the trouble I had in the past, trying to install it, from the main Vector Linux CD. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I guess I will have to try Vector. Sounds like it is a winner! I had to reformat my Linux drive late last night and start over. It looks like Slack was pretty cruel to my drive, despite being assigned its own two partitions. As soon as I finish all my installs I am going to burn my CD. Have it downloaded and waiting. Of course, it just might have to wait until after I have baked on the beach a bit! B)

I guess I will have to try Vector.  Sounds like it is a winner!  I had to reformat my Linux drive late last night and start over.  It looks like Slack was pretty cruel to my drive, despite being assigned its own two partitions.  As soon as I finish all my installs I am going to burn my CD.  Have it downloaded and waiting.  Of course, it just might have to wait until after I have baked on the beach a bit!  ;)
Hi Julia, am sorry that Slack gave you problems...as you "bake on the beach", may the sun's Vitamin D replenish your plan of attack. B) vitamind2.jpg

I'll take your word for it that is Vitamin D. I skipped chemistry in high school and college. The school counselor told me to avoid it because the teacher was horrible. I know a periodic table when I see one, but that is about it, other than chemistry between people, in the oven, etc. At least you know what today's project is going to be for Linux. B)

I'll take your word for it that is Vitamin D.  I skipped chemistry in high school and college.  The school counselor told me to avoid it because the teacher was horrible.  I know a periodic table when I see one, but that is about it, other than chemistry between people, in the oven, etc.    At least you know what today's project is going to be for Linux.  B)
Am sure you will do fine, Julia. B) Remembering the problems I had, sort of dread the day that I have to re-install it. ;)

I am afraid I would get burnt! Remember the mouse problems? I just spent this morning rebuilding from my attempt at Slack. I will listen to Bruno. No Slack. Oh, he didn't say that did he? B) He just said try Vector. It is finished burning right now. When I come back. . .

Liked the "Vector Live CD" very much. Clean and well-defined; the "IceWM" desktop is great! Was wondering if there is a way to copy it to the harddrive, so that it will run faster than from the CD? The only reason why would like to do this, is the trouble I had in the past, trying to install it, from the main Vector Linux CD. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Quint, see my answer in the How to choose threadJulia, yes just try the Live VectorLinux, see if it runs from that fried board you have.B) Bruno

It runs on this fried computer. It does not run with my mouse. It has the exact same problems as slack - mouse work. The other thing it will not do properly is email. Guess I will be in and out. Not particularly fond of Opera either. I used Opera a couple of years ago but like others better. The fonts do look particularly crisp though.Since it is live it sure is a slim configuration. Email won't work - too bad. Browser choice - Opera. I can't keep walking around borrowing mice from everyone that has one with a tail! I prefer my mice to be tail-free.It did load smoothly, other than the need to go back and swap out mice. Wish I could figure out why the email won't work! Well that was easy - it helps if you keep straight which account you are trying to use! B)

The only email I tried on the computer with Vector is ¨Mutt¨, does not come by default I think, remember adding a few things on that computer . . . . . like Gkrellm :)Mutt is a pure text-based email program something like the ¨links¨-browser makes you all nostalgic ;)You should have ordered a real tailed mouse as extra bonus for your new machine . . . . B) BrunoHere is a link to an howto for Mutt

I did order a $3 tailed mouse. I don't intend to use it except for emergencies..... It says Dell on it so I hope people don't think I took it from school. B) Guess I will have to useit once in a while though. I like my Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse. Since it is one USB port for both, I don't understand why the keyboard always works and the mouse does not! Found the lynx text editor. Did not try to pull it up though. There sure are a lot of icons on the desktop. Guess they think you can't figure out what is on the menus. Most people like to point and click I guess. I am not adding any extras since I don't intend to install this. I think I will just stick with the live! B)

Vector has an extra deluxe version of the Midnight Commander . . . . and vasm, a config tool to configure your mouse after the desktop is up, you could try if the USB mouse could be configured that way: suvasmit´s all menu based and reacts on the keyboard, so you can just unplug your mouse and plug the otther on in.Good LuckB) Bruno

I had tried the vasm at the command line before I went into the graphic interface. Did it again there. The funny thing is I can go up and down with the wireless but not side to side - even took it apart and cleaned it (yes it has a ball and is old). B)

Don´t you have an adapter to plug the wireless in the ps2 ?? Might make all the difference !Guess there is a fault in the XF86Config-4 file under USB mouse:

. Check your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. There should be asection for input device. Make sure that there is a ZAxisMappingoption set to "4 5". The 4 and 5 correspond to moving the scrollup and down.Section "InputDevice"Identifier "Mouse0"Driver "mouse"Option "Protocol" "put protocol here"# fyi IMPS/2 is Intellimouse protocol# used on many new scroll miceOption "Device" "put location here"# PS/2 mice are usually at /dev/psaux# usb mice are usually at /dev/input/mouse0Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"# this is what controls the scrollingOption "Resolution" "3000"# doesn't work for all systemsEnd Section
Dunno if this helps for the Live version too, maybe you can not change the config files of it.No optical wireless ?? How oldfashon !B) Bruno

Underneath it all, I'm just an old-fashioned gal! What can I say - it was a great bargain!It is one plug for both the keyboard and the mouse! One receiver for two devices. Works in Drake!

In that case you can just leave the other mouse connected, makes you surf even faster one mouse in each hand ! B) :DDid you try the Midnight Commander ?? Making a file, copying it from left to right panel . . . . if you download a .tgz you can install it with F2 there are possebilities for rpm´s tar.gz and the native slack: .tgz files. A real beauty that MC version.You can edit your XF86Config-4 file with the MC !sumc ( will bring up the mc as root )you will see all the commands at the bottom line, the MC is real easy for editing files and saving them.Once you get the hang of it it becomes a joy !You can even install the MC in Mandrake ! It´s on the CDs !B) Bruno

It looks like I can't change it in live. I went through the file and did the changes and clicked on save but it did not change anything. B)

I was afraid of that ! Is somehow logic that you can not change the config files for the Live CDs.Did you do it in the MC ? How did you like that app ?B) Bruno

MC was sweet. Sure was easy to navigate in. Can I use that in Drake????? Is it the same file in Drake? Can I go and look at it's configuration and then go copy that into Vector?

Sure you can install the MC in drake and copy the XF86Config-4 file to your /home/julia and put it on a floppy, then go to Vector ( you have to mount the floppy manually in Vector ) and start the MC and copy the file over the onther and see what happens.B) Bruno

Under the name of ¨midnight commander¨ it´s on your CD´s so no problem.For a real tweaker this is the tool to edit files and move them around in a quick and safe way. I know it looks like an old DOS utility and is real ugly, but it performs miracles !B) Bruno