How do you Surf?

GolfProRM

Which is your PRIMARY Browser?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I started out I used Netscape all the time, but I didn't like Netscape 6 and I haven't tried 7. Sometimes Netscape wouldn't do certain things, so I switched to IE4 then 5. I also use Opera occasionally.Now I use IE5 most of the time. I haven't tried the latest new browsers.Cheers,Mariner >_<

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GolfProRM

• SonicDragon

• brucekrymow

• epp_b

Well ... I was one of the currently-two votes for Netscape 6/7 above.However, as of the last few days, I am now a full-fledged Mozilla user (1.5 RC 1 as of now). I've "always" been using it--at least for the past few years, even in its early Milestone stages--but I've finally switched from Netscape to Mozilla as my primary browser. What was deterring me before was that Mozilla was, theoretically, "unsupported," while Netscape was (theoretically, again) ... but with the Mozilla Foundation being independent and Netscape basically abandoning their browser, that registers as less of an issue now.Not that it ever was before; I don't know why I didn't just use Mozilla in the first place. But I decided I might as well switch now. :-)And of course, I'll switch to Firebird once it becomes officially stable.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest martinultima

OK - I've got a few updates -Mozilla 1.4 and IE5 on my (upgraded) DellFound ActiveX control - although I no longer have VB because I upgraded my systemFirebird 0.6.1, Netscape 0.93, Lynx for w32, Arachne 1.70 on my Micron laptop (removed IE with 98lite)No longer like IE as much - can you tell?

I downloaded a very small browser called "i jini." It's only 82 kb. I use it to go to a few sites. I was quite amazed that such a small browser would work. What I would like to know is if it is safe to use. A person gets all these security warnings.

Mostly use latest IE in windows machine. Used Netscape for a while for schoolwork. Explored Firebird and Mozilla too on windows.Use Konqueror the most in Linux, but have played with Mazilla and Galeon too. USing whatever versions are default to RH9.

Started with Netscape. Shifted to Opera (fast but bad interface). Then to IE 5. Used IE 5.01 for a long time. Now I use IE 6 and Firebird. If IE 6 had tabbed windows, I'd use it all the time. I especially like the simple, neat IE interface. I'm a sucker for neat interface designs. For me it is an indicator of how well the programmer/s understand end-users, and maybe how good the underlying code is.

• 1 month later...
Guest martinultima
... Used IE 5.01 for a long time. Now I use IE 6 and Firebird. If IE 6 had tabbed windows, I'd use it all the time. I especially like the simple, neat IE interface. I'm a sucker for neat interface designs. For me it is an indicator of how well the programmer/s understand end-users, and maybe how good the underlying code is.
Simple, neat IE interface? I think IE has the worst interface yet. I prefer Mozilla's (both the suite and Firebird) - better-designed, prettier, and themable.Programmer/s understanding end-users, and maybe how good the underlying code is - Microsoft's infamous for never listening to users, they've stopped making IE for crying out loud, and how good the underlying code is? Don't make me laugh! Haven't you heard about all the bugs and stuff in Microsoft products? The reason only Microsoft has "service packs" and stuff like that is only Microsoft has so many flaws and bugs to require them!

Guest LilBambi

For a long time, IE really did have a very user friendly interface and it was the best thing out there. At that time, there really were no real contenders.Netscape was terrible and did crappy job of displaying pages by comparison for a long time in the Windows world. Opera came with ads YUK!But with the advent of the generally superior Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird browsers -- with wonderful features that IE will never have without skins provided by third parties (and not all of these are great -- some are very slow, and can add new elements of security risks as soon in recent times) -- Also I discount Opera because I am talking about free browsers here and I hate adware anything. And there are other standards compliant browsers with very nice and easy to use interfaces available today.And of course, we can not fail to reiterate that IE has many security issues and more it seems all the time -- I know I had to rethink this and give Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird a try in Windows. And I am very glad I did.I found that the new breed of browsers were very compliant with W3.org standards, handled CSS beautifully, handled transparent hi-color PNGs in a excellent manner (which IE is terrible at by the way), and they generally now handle plugsins better than ever (some caveats, but really not many at all!), and java doesn't go into runaway mode like it used to do in Linux or Windows.All in all, today, Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird, to me anyway, wins hands down today when compared to IE ... or any other browser to date.One caveat, there are still some sites that were built specifically for IE and do not render well, or even display right in Mozilla and/or Mozilla Firebird ... they are few and far between these days, but they do still occur on occasion. For these few sites, I still rely on the insecure IE if I feel I really need to see these sites (and of course Windows Update site too of course).But each and every person has to make these decisions for themselves. And these are very personal decisions.I would suggest that folks do some reading up on IE security issues, particularly those that have never been fixed and/or are being ignored by Microsoft in IE (links can be found easily on Bugtraq, Google, SANS.org - including the SANS Top 20 Vulnerabilities list for 2003, and various other security sites, and many topics right here in SFNL Forums have mentioned these things as well).Also, as mentioned, Microsoft has dropped support for IE except for whatever they feel like fixing).For me it was ease of use for many years that kept me using IE.IE was just easier and all plugins worked out of the box and with ActiveX (which has also become a problem) these plugins were delivered in place seamlessly.But the waters are changing ... and browsing isn't as simple or as safe as it used to be.Such is life. B)

nlinecomputers

When comparing IE and Mozilla and user interface issues I can't see how IE wins. For most things they are the same. They both have address bar and front and back buttons and so forth. To browse the web it is pretty much the same. Some terms are different (Favorites vs bookmarks) but the idea and general function match. The settings and controls on IE are poorly done IMHO. Things about security are in three different places. You have this confusing(to most users) page about ZONES and this big long cryptic list of checkboxes that most users will never grasp. The preferences menu in Mozilla is much more orderly and easier to setup and it covers the entire suite. Life is very simple in Mozilla.And if you have to you can edit a TEXT file(none of the registry crap...) to fix problems or advanced tweak.

Guest LilBambi

And for those who like the "Favorites" Star and/or History Icon that brings up the 'side bar' for favorites/bookmarks and/or history, they care very easy to add to the toolbar.Just right click on the toolbar, click customize, pick the favorites/bookmarks star icon from the list of icons, drag it to the address line icon area where you want it and it's there, that easy. Now you can just click on the star to bring up the favorites/bookmarks side bar just like in IE if that is what's holding anyone up. B)

For me it was ease of use for many years that kept me using IE.
For me, it was an old computer! I wanted to switch from IE for several years but Netscape was too bloated and I had problems running the Mozilla based browsers. Not any more. I'm happily tooling along with Mozilla. The only negative experience I've had with Mozilla is a couple of corrupt cookies. After deletion/re-creation, I'm all set to go. I'm relieved I don't have the vulnerabilities with Mozilla as with IE.

The difference is that with IE, you really are never sure what the problem is going to be. We have brand new PCs at work and are stuck with IE -- amazing how often IE crashes even on a new PC. I'll eagerly accept an occasional corrupt cookie over all the problems I've had with IE over the years.

Guest LilBambi

You are so right, I have had unexplained crashes with IE forever, just considered it par for the curse. Even when I only had a couple of browser windows open.Funny thing is, Firebird rarely if ever crashes ... even java is stable in it.The only time I have ever had it crash on me was one time when I had about 10-15 browser tabs open, and the last one I opened opened java! LOL! With already low resources, it was just the straw that broke the camel's back.:thumbsup:

Corrine - you can't download the mozilla/firebird and just run it from the folder without installing it? That is what I did at work and I strictly only use that. I can run multiple windows in WinME at work and not crash, but open 2 IE windows and look out. I've slowly introduced it to the other employees and now they have been switching from IE to M/F

Corrine - you can't download the mozilla/firebird and just run it from the folder without installing it?
That's what I do. I just unzip the download and run the Firebird executable. It works.

:D my lips are sealedThey told us at work not to be installing stuff on it so I just download the zip and buried the file in windows so nobody would know it was there, but after people seen me using it they were like what is that and so I would explain it and the difference with IE and now the M/F has a shortcut icon on the desktop :thumbsup: -- they wanted to try it so I said go for it

Corrine - you can't download the mozilla/firebird and just run it from the folder without installing it?
I believe that recent Windows builds have only the EXE installer, as Ben wants those to be tested, with no ZIP builds available. Or am I confusing that with why there have been no Win32 trunk nightlies lately...

Amazing after all this time of not logging in here, I received an email of topic notification! There is a "build" process with MozFB if you want it to have it recognize the plug-ins (not to be confused with 'extensions') such as MacroMediaFlash player! Mozilla.org would prefer that you test out the latest v0.8 release but thus far (as of last week) not too many customizations have been ported to it! Best to use either an "optimized" version from scagz for the specific platform/OS you are running, or just go with the tried and trusted v0.7.Look around for some of the optional BookMark toolz and utilities that are NOT necessarily part of the extension suite that mozilla routes you to! Once you have mastered the true art of speedy TabBrowsing with MozFB, then just click on the button that dares you to make it the default browser in your system! You will never have to look back at IE6 again (well, at least until the next {version} build attempt of a stable new MozFB release that will surely make you re-evaluate if it was a good thing that you love MozFB creature)!

• 3 months later...

My browser of choice is Galeon 1.3.13 (no particular reason for this release over others). Next comes FireFox of course, then MyIE2. I know, Moz 1.6 is fast as can be but the way MyIE2 handles tabs is so perfectly matched with what I wish my FireFox would do. Even with the ext. I can't get it configured the same.Mike :ermm:

• 2 months later...
martinultima

UPDATEPrimary browser is still Mozilla, but I've got a long list of other browsers I've installed and used...Dell - Windows 98 SE 1. Mozilla 1.7 <-- DEFAULT 2. Internet Explorer 5.0 3. Netscape 7.1 4. Netscape 4.8 5. HotJava 6. Cello 1.01 7. Mozilla 1.0 8. Netscape 0.96 9. Netscape 1.2 10. Netscape 1.0 11. Phoenix 0.1 12. Mosaic 1.0 Dell - Linux 1. Mozilla 1.6 <-- DEFAULT 2. Epiphany 3. Konqueror 3 4. Galeon Micron - Windows 98 SE 1. Firefox 0.9 <-- DEFAULT 2. K-Meleon 3. Netscape 4.8 4. Internet Explorer 5.0I used to kind of like IE, but ever since I installed Linux, I suddenly realized that it truly was evil.... :)My personal homepage at www.martinultima.cjb.net is entirely hand-coded and the part that I did myself (some of it is Tripod ad code and CJB.net's horrendous HTML) is designed to comply as closely as possible to the W3C's latest standards. (I'm a hard-core Mozilla user, what do you expect?) As of July 20, 2004, it renders best in the Mozilla-based browsers (Mozilla, Firefox/Firebird/Phoenix, Netscape 7.1, K-Meleon, and Galeon), renders almost as well in Opera, renders with only a couple flaws in Konqueror, is only barely usable in IE, and is just completely @#$%ed up in Netscape 4.x and earlier.Oh, and Lynx is OK, better than IE or NS 4.x.I design a lot of other websites as well; most of them are fully compliant but render much better in IE than my homepage. (The others I expect more people to visit, and that means more IE users than anything else, so I have no choice.)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm an Opera user. Especially on the new system, it's a little slow on my old system.On my older system Firefox wouldn't install. I'd download the install file and it wouldn't work.