PcLinuxOS, Nvidia driver problems

boilertech

To change from vesa to something that works, go to the command line, su, and type in XFdrake and then try to locte your video card and configure it. You can't run 3D on vesa but if you get it configured with the right graphic card you should be able to configure it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• boilertech

• Bruno

• teacher

• striker

boilertech
You are becoming our resident expert on this, and I will call in your help if there is another member that needs help with his mouse ! thumbsup.gif
I will be honored to be able to help someone else.
You can't run 3D on vesa but if you get it configured with the right graphic card you should be able to configure it.
This is the problem. My card is a Nvidia 7600 gt. I can not choose any Nvidia card from XFdrake. From what I understand, this is a very new card. Even the"nv" driver does not work.

I can not choose any Nvidia card from XFdrake. From what I understand, this is a very new card. Even the"nv" driver does not work.
:( . . . that is a downer ! . . . . . Hope support will come soon for you !!B) Bruno

• 1 month later...
boilertech

Finally. Upgrades configured for my video card. I now get the Nvidia splash screen but glxgears shows an error.

[mike@localhost ~]$ glxgearsXlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".glxgears: Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual.[mike@localhost ~]$

Just for fun, you might try installing xorg-suite. It is suppose to take care of the newer cards. See if that helps any. It's in the repositories.

PS: the xorg-suite is only available if you add "93" to the repositories . . . and that is done like this:Synaptic --> Settings --> Repositories . . click on the highlighted repository URL and you will see in the box below: "os updates texstar", make that read "os updates texstar 93" then close the config and press the "reload" button . . . you will see new updates and xorg-suite.:'( Bruno

Hi BoilertechAdditional note:If you have have the nvidia version of PCLos 9.2 installed and "doing" the 9.3 trick now . . . . . . when you get the 9.3 updates you also want to do a search in Synaptics for "dkms-nvidia" . . you will probably see you have the "dkms-nvidia<number>" installed, this is a .tex package . . . you will want to upgrade that one ( and a few dependencies of it ) to a .mde package, this is the "dkms-nvidia" WITHOUT the <number> !! If you fail to do this you will not have X after the reboot . . . . . . so, again, in a nutshel:-> do the 9.3 updates-> search for "nvidia" in synaptics-> select for install the "dkms-nvidia" ( this will remove and reinstall a couple of packages )It will remove the old drivers and install the new drivers . . . so on reboot you will be fine :DB) Bruno

boilertech
If you have have the nvidia version of PCLos 9.2 installed and "doing" the 9.3 trick now . . . . . . when you get the 9.3 updates you also want to do a search in Synaptics for "dkms-nvidia" . . you will probably see you have the "dkms-nvidia<number>" installed, this is a .tex package . . . you will want to upgrade that one ( and a few dependencies of it ) to a .mde package, this is the "dkms-nvidia" WITHOUT the <number> !!
I have the correct one installed. I did not have to do it manualy. (I love this linux distro ;) )I belive that my xorg.conf is not right.
Section "Monitor"	Identifier "monitor1"	VendorName "Plug'n Play"	ModelName "A90f+"	HorizSync 30.0 - 86.0	VertRefresh 50.0 - 150.0	ModeLine "768x576" 50.0 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630	ModeLine "768x576" 63.1 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616EndSectionSection "Device"	Identifier "device1"	VendorName "nVidia Corp."	BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 7 Series"	Driver "nvidia"	Option "DPMS"	Option "UseEDID" "false"EndSectionSection "Screen"	Identifier "screen1"	Device "device1"	Monitor "monitor1"	DefaultColorDepth 24		Subsection "Display"		Depth 8		Modes "1024x768"	EndSubsection		Subsection "Display"		Depth 15		Modes "1024x768"	EndSubsection		Subsection "Display"		Depth 16		Modes "1024x768"	EndSubsection		Subsection "Display"		Depth 24		Modes "1024x768"	EndSubsectionEndSection# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder3)  Wed Mar 29 14:43:26 PST 2006# File generated by XFdrake.# **********************************************************************# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of# this file.# **********************************************************************Section "ServerLayout"	Identifier "layout1"	InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"	InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"	Screen "screen1"EndSectionSection "Files"	# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)	# By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of	# the X server to render fonts.	FontPath "unix/:-1"EndSectionSection "Module"	Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension	Load "v4l" # Video for Linux	Load "extmod"	Load "type1"	Load "freetype"	Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so"EndSectionSection "ServerFlags"	#DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)		# allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work	#DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)	Option "allowmouseopenfail"EndSectionSection "InputDevice"	Identifier "Keyboard1"	Driver "kbd"	Option "XkbModel" "pc105"	Option "XkbLayout" "en_US"	Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"EndSectionSection "InputDevice"	Identifier "Mouse1"	Driver "mouse"	Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"	Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"	Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"	Option "Buttons" "7"EndSection

An older xorg.conf had theses lines in it

Section "Module"	Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension	Load "v4l" # Video for Linux	Load "extmod"	Load "type1"	Load "freetype"	Load "glx" # 3D layerEndSection

The only difference is this line:

Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so"
and
Load "glx" # 3D layer
The first one is actually better then the second ( old ) one . . . so that can not be the cause of the error message you get when running "glxgears"My modules section looks like:
Section "Module" Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension Load "v4l" # Video for Linux Load "extmod" Load "type1" Load "freetype" Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so"EndSection
And I do not get the errorQuestion . . what dkms-nvidia package do you have installed according to synaptics ? Is it a .tex package or a .mde package ?? ( If you did the 9.3 updates you want the .mde package );) Bruno

boilertech
Question . . what dkms-nvidia package do you have installed according to synaptics ? Is it a .tex package or a .mde package ?? ( If you did the 9.3 updates you want the .mde package )
dkms-nvidia version 8762-2.pclo2005.mde

dkms-nvidia version 8762-2.pclo2005.mde
Well, that is indeed the correct package . . . . . . wonder why you still get that error running glxgears.What does the next command report:
$ glxinfo | grep rendering

??;) Bruno

boilertech
[mike@localhost ~]$ $ glxinfo | grep renderingbash: $: command not found

I also tried glxinfo

[mike@localhost ~]$ glxinfoname of display: :0.0Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual   visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat----------------------------------------------------------------------Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".0x21 24 tc  1  0  0 c  .  .  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 NoneXlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".0x22 24 dc  1  0  0 c  .  .  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 NoneSegmentation fault

Edited by boilertech

boilertech
;) I was looking for more $$$$$ B)
[mike@localhost ~]$ glxinfo | grep renderingXlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visualXlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".

Edited by boilertech

;) I was looking for more $$$$$ B)
:) :D . . . Aren't we all ? . . . . . :D :D . . . . I think you need to file a bug-report . . . here: http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?board=30.0 ( Thac's Place )Tell Thac that you installed his latest xorg-x11 files and the dkms-nvidia version 8762-2.pclo2005.mde + dependencies. And that your splash comes up, you get X okay . . . but that you get funny messages when you type "gxinfo | grep rendering".B) Bruno

boilertech

Will do but tell me. Do I have 3d abilities ? Is my card set up correct now or is this error showing that my card is still not set up fully?

You card is set up correctly, the xorg.conf is fine . . . but you still do not have 3D acceleration because of a bug in either the xorg or the nvidia-driver package . . . my guess is that it is in the xorg.Give him the full:

[mike@localhost ~]$ glxinfoname of display: :0.0Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat----------------------------------------------------------------------Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".0x21 24 tc 1 0 0 c . . 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 NoneXlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".0x22 24 dc 1 0 0 c . . 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 NoneSegmentation fault
Also tell him what Nvidia card you have.;) Bruno

You card is set up correctly, the xorg.conf is fine . . . but you still do not have 3D acceleration because of a bug in either the xorg or the nvidia-driver package . . . my guess is that it is in the xorg.Give him the full: Also tell him what Nvidia card you have.:thumbsup: Bruno
I ran into a similar situation myself recently. A working desktop but no 3-d. (6600GT). My /var/log/xorg.0.log file reported that libglx.so wan't getting loaded at boot time. The problem turned out to be that it wans't getting compiled properly due to my kernel-headers being left in an incorrect state from a previoulsy failed attempt at installation, a bug in dkms-drm or some other unknown reason. This was revealed to me when, after multiple failed attempts at using dkms to install the nvidia drivers, I gave up and downloaded the drivers directly from Nvidia. When running the Nvidia insstaller, the installer reported that there was a problem with my kernel source modules and bailed. The dkms system appeared to barge right through, even though it couldn't complete the process successfully.At the time, I had some other instability issues unrelated to this problem and ended up just reinstalling with a fresh copy of minime. The dkms-8762 drivers installed properly on the new install.If reinstalling is out of the question, you could try uninstalling all of the dkms packages as well as the kernel source headers, check in /usr/src to make sure there are no remnants left laying around then reinstall and see what happens. Alternatively make mrproper run on the headers may clean up the modules so they can be compiled.Hope this helps,CD

boilertech

Thanks for the info. I do have a suport request into Thac and I think I should wait before I OOPS again.

Alternatively make mrproper run on the headers may clean up the modules so they can be compiled.
What does this mean?

Thanks for the info. I do have a suport request into Thac and I think I should wait before I OOPS again. What does this mean?
It just cleans up any stale object files and configs. Run it as root from a term inside /usr/src/linuxNot sure if it will help tho. Just a guess.CD

Hi BoilertechMaybe it will help if we simply install a new kernel + kernel-source and try again . . . . You started another thread and I would like to see the output of the command in that thread first before we proceed here.Also please show me

$ uname -r

B) Bruno

boilertech
You started another thread and I would like to see the output of the command in that thread first before we proceed here.
Is this the one?
[root@localhost mike]# dkms statusnvidia, 8762.2.pclo2005.mde, 2.6.13-oci2.mdk-i586-up-1GB, i586: installeddrm, 2.0.54.pclo2005.mde, 2.6.13-oci2.mdk-i586-up-1GB, i586: installed (original_module exists)

[mike@localhost ~]$ uname -r2.6.13-oci2.mdk-i586-up-1GB[mike@localhost ~]$

Hi BoilertechWe could do a little experiment . . . . . provided that you are using the PCLos Lilo as the bootmanager ( so you can choose the kernel you are booting if we install a new one )There is a new kernel + kernelsource in Synaptics:kernel-livecd-2.6.15.oci4.Ivekernel-livecd-source-2.6.15.oci4.IveInstall those, reboot and check the messages while it boots to see if dkms kicks in to install the nvidia drivers for the new kernel during boot.If boot is successfull try the glxgears again to see if it improved.Sure, this all is only an experiment . . so . . . if the new kernel fails you will want to be able to boot your 2.6.13-oci2.mdk-i586-up-1GB kernel and that is why the PCLos Lilo bootloader is needed to accomodate this. ( there should be an entry for it ):hysterical: BrunoUPDATE: Could you please ( before installing the new kernel ) first show:

# ls -al /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so

boilertech
Could you please ( before installing the new kernel ) first show:
:w00t: No need to be so formal B) :hysterical:
[mike@localhost ~]$ ls -al /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.solrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 18 Jun  4 06:34 /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so -> libglx.so.1.0.8762*

And .... Yes I am use lilo.

Edited by boilertech

LOL Boilertech . . . . . . I need to see one more command:

# ls -al /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so.1.0.8762

:) Bruno

boilertech
[mike@localhost ~]$ ls -al /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so.1.0.8762-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 653348 Jun  3 13:57 /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so.1.0.8762*

:) I wonder....What are you looking for? Or, should I say, what does this tell us?

[mike@localhost ~]$ ls -al /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so.1.0.8762-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 653348 Jun  3 13:57 /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so.1.0.8762*

:) I wonder....What are you looking for? Or, should I say, what does this tell us?

LOL . . . Well, just because your Xorg.log reports a problem with the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so and /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so is a symlink to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so.1.0.8762 . . . . BUT: they all are there so I fail to see why xorg has this problem.Anyway . . if I were you I would install that new kernel I was writing about . . . and let us hope that at the reboot, when dkms installs the nvidia drivers for that new kernel, maybe a miracle happens :DB) BrunoPS: Would you mind to doublecheck if you have the "xorg-x11-suite" package installed ??And can you post the output of
$ ldd `which glxinfo`

Copy and paste the command because there are odd ` ` in it :teehee: