Linux & NFTS

kamicota

Okay we will make a change . . First a backup:

# cp  /etc/X11/xorg.conf  /etc/X11/xorg.conf-backup

Then we open the file in Kwrite:

# kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf

And change the RED:

# File generated by XFdrake.# **********************************************************************# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of# this file.# **********************************************************************Section "Files" # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together) # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of # the X server to render fonts. FontPath "unix/:-1"EndSectionSection "ServerFlags" #DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort) #DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching) AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not workEndSectionSection "Module" Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension Load "v4l" # Video for Linux Load "extmod" Load "type1" Load "freetype" Load "glx" # 3D layer Load "dri" # direct renderingEndSectionSection "InputDevice" Identifier "Keyboard1" Driver "kbd" Option "XkbModel" "pc105" Option "XkbLayout" "en_US" Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"EndSectionSection "InputDevice" Identifier "Mouse1" Driver "mouse" Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2" Option "Device" "/dev/mouse" Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"EndSectionSection "Monitor" Identifier "monitor1" VendorName "Samsung" ModelName "Samsung SyncMaster 710N/177N/CX711N/CX701N" HorizSync 30-81 VertRefresh 56-85 # Monitor preferred modeline (60.0 Hz vsync, 64.0 kHz hsync, ratio 5/4) ModeLine "1280x1024" 108 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync # TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output. # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630 # 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616EndSectionSection "Device" Identifier "device1" VendorName "VIA Technologies Inc." BoardName "S3 UniChrome" Driver "via" Option "DPMS" "false"EndSectionSection "Screen" Identifier "screen1" Device "device1" Monitor "monitor1" DefaultColorDepth 16 Subsection "Display" Depth 8 Virtual 1024 768 EndSubsection Subsection "Display" Depth 15 Virtual 1024 768 EndSubsection Subsection "Display" Depth 16 Virtual 1280 1024 EndSubsection Subsection "Display" Depth 24 Virtual 1024 768 EndSubsectionEndSectionSection "ServerLayout" Identifier "layout1" InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard" InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer" Screen "screen1"EndSection
Save the file and show me again:
# cat  /etc/X11/xorg.conf

B) Bruno

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• teacher

• burninbush

Top Posters In This Topic

Password:[root@localhost kamicota]# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf# File generated by XFdrake.# **********************************************************************# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of# this file.# **********************************************************************Section "Files" # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together) # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of # the X server to render fonts. FontPath "unix/:-1"EndSectionSection "ServerFlags" #DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort) #DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching) AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not workEndSectionSection "Module" Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension Load "v4l" # Video for Linux Load "extmod" Load "type1" Load "freetype" Load "glx" # 3D layer Load "dri" # direct renderingEndSectionSection "InputDevice" Identifier "Keyboard1" Driver "kbd" Option "XkbModel" "pc105" Option "XkbLayout" "en_US" Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"EndSectionSection "InputDevice" Identifier "Mouse1" Driver "mouse" Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2" Option "Device" "/dev/mouse" Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"EndSectionSection "Monitor" Identifier "monitor1" VendorName "Samsung" ModelName "Samsung SyncMaster 710N/177N/CX711N/CX701N" HorizSync 30-81 VertRefresh 56-85 # Monitor preferred modeline (60.0 Hz vsync, 64.0 kHz hsync, ratio 5/4) ModeLine "1280x1024" 108 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync # TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output. # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630 # 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616EndSectionSection "Device" Identifier "device1" VendorName "VIA Technologies Inc." BoardName "S3 UniChrome" Driver "via" Option "DPMS" "false"EndSectionSection "Screen" Identifier "screen1" Device "device1" Monitor "monitor1" DefaultColorDepth 16 Subsection "Display" Depth 8 Virtual 1024 768 EndSubsection Subsection "Display" Depth 15 Virtual 1024 768 EndSubsection Subsection "Display" Depth 16 Virtual 1280 1024 EndSubsection Subsection "Display" Depth 24 Virtual 1024 768 EndSubsectionEndSectionSection "ServerLayout" Identifier "layout1" InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard" InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer" Screen "screen1"EndSection[root@localhost kamicota]# Colin B)

Good . . . . . . Brilliant !!Colin . . it is getting late . . . I have to get some sleep . . . but not before I send you this message:Now, let me be very clear: You take NO advice from NOBODY . . . you wait for me to get back online and help you !So: No-matter who is posting what . . . you ignore it . . . . . . wait that I can tell you it is okay . . . okay ?For now you can tweak the looks of your PCLos and Drake . . . . Tomorrow WE will do the screen-resolution in Drake and make a plan ( + instructions ) for SuSE . . . . Do relax a bit yourself too, because you did 2 installs and a load of tweaking . . . so take it easy . . chill . . . cool down ;)B) Bruno

Righty Ho BrunoThe Screen Resolution ion Mandriva IS repeat is 1280x1024 so that is OKMaybe me try UPDATING either PCLos and or mandriva???????????????????? before tomorrowCheers for yearsColin B)

Now, let me be very clear: You take NO advice from NOBODY . . . you wait for me to get back online and help you !So: No-matter who is posting what . . . you ignore it . . . . . . wait that I can tell you it is okay . . . okay ?
LOLOL! This is a zen thing, right? OK, I give up -- you own it. .

It's not a zen thing. Colin gets confused easily with multiple instructions. We have all learned fom experience that he works best one-on-one!Colin I read today that the 2.6.15 kernel is lightyears ahead of the older kernels for reading and writing to NTFS. You might want to hold off a bit on any radical changes until it filters down to your distros. B)

JuliaThis New Install of Mandriva 2006 Free on the Desktop DEFINITELY reads NTFS partitions so that is a relief :thumbsup: But surprised even after updates PCLos did NOT have open Office in it and NOT Firefox 1.5 but 1.07 Heck have I doine ANOTHER OOPS B) on the install As far as the new Kernel goes I only updated both DistrosCheers for YearsColin :) :D

JuliaThis New Install of Mandriva 2006 Free on the Desktop DEFINITELY reads NTFS partitions so that is a relief :P But surprised even after updates PCLos did NOT have open Office in it and NOT Firefox 1.5 but 1.07 Heck have I doine ANOTHER OOPS :hysterical: on the install As far as the new Kernel goes I only updated both DistrosCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup: :D
Since I am still working on my new tablet laptop I have not checked to see what the latest is for kernels. I know I just saw a comment about it posted today on the developmental list. It led me to believe it has not been released yet.Tex just rolled Firefox back to 1.07 and is working on a rebuild I think of 1.5. There have been so many problems with 1.5 that a decision was made to stick with 1.07 in the mirrors for now. Read Scot's latest newsletter and you will see that it is an across the board firefox problem. :icon8:

runoJust playing around :hysterical: moi :thumbsup: Mr Intensity :icon8: with Mepis Live and then Knoppix 4.0.2 Live just to see maybe one of these OR ??? for the ex OOPS :P Suse PartitionMepis - Did not See any of my other partitions so as YET it is :hmm: :D Now for Knopix Live DVDCheers for YearsColin :P

Righty HoWE are back again this time in KnoppixLike what I see and all the "GOODIES" :D yet thought--->>>a) There woould be an install option like PCLos and MepisB) Somehwere I read about just copying one of Knoppix files into a Partttiion and VOILA it was on your computer or MAYBE I DREAMED THIS :hysterical: But I am STILL open to suggestions as what to put on the deceased Suse 9.3 partition hdb8 :P :thumbsup: Cheers for YearsColin :icon8:

LOL . . . hi Colin . . . all over the place again are you ?? . . . . So what's it gonna be ?? SuSE ?? Mepis ?? Knoppix ??I think we first should see after Mandriva . . . because I seem to remember you posting that is was not 100% yet . . . so what's the score ?:hysterical: Bruno

Righty Ho BrunoAs far as I can see Mandriva is 100% full screen etc UNLESS--->>>There is something I have missed from our chats :hmm: Playtime is OVER with the VARIOUS DISTRO's --->>> and I am still UNDECIDED wether to install Suse 9.3, 10.1 Alpha4, Knoppix OR EVEN some other suggesstionSo I will wait till your ever INTUITIVE Distro sense buds get back to me :P Desktop is in Mandriva right nowCheers for YearsColin :thumbsdown:

There is something I have missed from our chats :thumbsdown:
I guess I am to blame for the misunderstanding myself Colin . . . so no worries !Now, about all those "other" distros you are jumping to install on hdb8 . . . . . . If you ask me, and I will try to give you some solid advice, I think a Knoppix HD install is nothing but trouble when it comes to updating . . . . the same goes for Mepis.I think that SuSE 9.3 is what will suit you best ( from the ones you suggested ) . . . . The real "Winner" for your needs will be Mandriva 2006 and PCLos on second place, but SuSE might be a good 3rd.So go for it and install it on hdb8 . . . . BUT . . . . . BUT . . . pay good attention where you put Lilo ( or grub ) . . . . it is fairly in the beginning of the install where you get the option ( it is a bit hidden, but if you look closely you can find it ! ) where to install the bootloader of your choice.I want you to install it on the hdb8 partition . . . not anywhere else, only the hdb8 partition . . !!!If you miss the point where it gets set, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and it will stop the install so you can start again.Also, during the install . . just before the bootloader question, there is the partition question . . . DO NOT DELETE the partition before formatting it !!! ( because it will renumber the partitions and Mandiva will be unbootable even with the rescue disk !! )Go for it !! . . good luck Colin ! :thumbup::hmm: Bruno

OOPS BrunoIMPATIENT :hmm: me formatted with Mandriva (like for PCLOs) BUT--->>>Suse 9.3 will ONLY allow me to install it on hdb9 THE LAST PARTION thats what the message was and that is MandrivaCheers for yearscolin :thumbsdown:

So Bruno :P I GUESS I am still looking for ANOTHER Linux distro eh???Going to check my XP hard drive think I still have Xandros 3.0 to burnDo you think this may be a wise choice or am I needed in another directionCheers for YearsColin :hmm: :thumbsdown: :D

Hi ColinYou say that SUSE only wants to install on hdb9 . . . but this is not really so . . . . it just makes you think it can only use the last partition . . . . if you really look closely and hit the right buttons you will see that it will accept hdb8 too !:thumbsdown: Bruno

BrunoI tried all the options available for Partitioning and was not allowed to choose hdb8 other than for formatting itWhen ctrl alt del out GOT a text install option and there was where I was told Suse will only install on the last partitionColin a little :thumbsdown:

Colin . . . I know it can be done . . . . check again and look VERY closely ! ( Hint: you want to "edit" partition hdb8 . . . . :thumbsdown: ):hmm: Bruno

OOPS BrunoI saw that and other options BUT--->>>Only looked at change/custom/and the other two partitioning optionsBut I get a little of those collywobbles :thumbsdown: coming on againCheers for YearsColin :hmm: for the nudge :P

HI ColinIt is either finding the key to using that partition for SUSE . . . . OR you will have to re-install Mandriva on hdb8 + adapt the LIlo and the screenresolution again, so you can put SUSE on hdb9 later . . . . So the choice is yours . . . . .:hmm::thumbsdown: Bruno

Yep BrunoI had thought of redoing ALL my hard drive a little earlier todayI am in "edit" and at present have it to = format for Reiser But what mount point do I set it at - /boot OR ???Colin