• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• ross549

• burninbush

:hmm: :hmm: .........AAhhhh so ..... time will tell ...... once again and as always thank you ... now to test it out ... more to come ......... B)
Uhmmm... I don't have Xandros either, but a quick look at distrowatch claims it is using .deb as a package manager. So ... is it possible that Xandros doesn't have Synaptic? That would be my first choice as a way to get and install programs, if it's there. Take a look through the KDE menus for Synaptic, or just open a command window and enter #synaptic to see what happens. If no Synaptic, then perhaps it has KPackage? Works almost like Synaptic. Either Synaptic or KPackage will have a Search field -- use that to look for whatever it is you'd like to install. Finally, you might try using apt-get from the command line. Almost gotta be a better way to do it than tgz. If you can't find synaptic, then it might be useful to try #apt-get --install synaptic; if that succeeds then you've got a gui way to get new parts.

burninbush .................Thank you, I'll print that out for the next time I'm in the house of Xandros .... which will be soon .. I need insts. on how to create a desktop icon for the P2P software I just installed in it...

.. I need insts. on how to create a desktop icon for the P2P software I just installed in it...
Hi Dale . . . Just rightclick on the desktop, choose --> Create New --> File --> Link to Application and onn the third tab in the box "command" write:
/usr/src/eDonkey2000/runDonkey.sh

;):thumbsup: Bruno

. I need insts. on how to create a desktop icon for the P2P software I just installed in it...
Following what Bruno wrote ... that will make a desktop link with the KDE gear as an icon. Took me a while to figure out how to change the icon; if you right-click the gear, then properties, you get that create form up again; click on the icon itself and you'll be presented with a screen of choices. Pick one you like, close, and there's your newly-created link to app. Also, give it a meaningful name on that first create-link screen; just delete and type-over the default.

:thumbsup: :teehee: ...this could be another adventure ... right click > create new ,,, gives me 4 choices ,,, folder, shortcut, HTML file, text file ... using what was available (shortcut,,,,wrong) Xandros opens up its own window, followed through with it but in the end I end up with a "shell" and not at all what I am trying for....

????Then maybe open the menu editor ( kmenuedit ) and create a menu entry for it . . . . then after checking if the menu entry works, drag it over to the desktop.:hysterical: Bruno

:hysterical: :w00t: :hysterical: ........Well,, created an entry for it with the menu editor,,, the space for "work path" I left blank as I have no idea what to put there.... I also left the "comment" box blank ... closed it all out ... tried .... launch (launch=menu)>applications>system>eDonkey2000>right click, no response, left click tries but after several seconds (5-8) comes back to normal operations ..... basically the menu entry is in limbo for the moment ....

The one that was listed under the system grouping in the applications group ... I did not use a consol if that is what you are getting at ..... I did check it out though as root .. did that kmenuedit and it put me in the exact same place ..

Hi DaleIf you start kmenuedit from the console you should NOT be root ( because you will be editing the wrong menu ;) ) . . . under what section in that menu did you try to make a new entry ?( I have KmenuEdit open here too so I can watch what you are doing )B) Bruno

XANS87YUH33:/home/dale# kmenueditQPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being usedQPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being usedXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedkded: cannot connect to X server :0.0kded: ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Registering failed!kded: ERROR: Communication problem with kded, it probably crashed.Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedkdeinit: Can't connect to the X Server.kdeinit: Might not terminate at end of session.Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedkmenuedit: cannot connect to X server :0.0ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Registering failed!ERROR: Communication problem with kmenuedit, it probably crashed.XANS87YUH33:/home/dale# Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
after a second attempt ,, this is what my results are ...Oh ... okay I shall log out as root .. an try again ...

In the name field ,,, eDonkey2000 ,, in the description field .. P2P ,, in the command field ... the command you gave me .. /usr/src/eDonkey2000/runDonket.sh ... nothing else ..

I hope you added it in the internet section . . . makes it easier to find back ;)Okay check the entries again:

Name: eDonkeyDescription: P2PComment: A Graphical P2P clientCommand: /usr/src/eDonkey2000/runDonkey.sh|X| Enable launch feedback
And "save" the menu . . then test it again.;) Bruno

;) .....Actually the first one is saved under the system grouping ... but did all the entries under the internet group .. and basically the same results ... nothing happens ...... darn the luck

.. /usr/src/eDonkey2000/runDonket.sh ...
In your post there was a typo in the name . . . .are you sure there is no typo in the kmenuedit ?Okay let us try it another way:Please show me:
ls -al /usr/src/eDonkey2000/runDonkey.sh

;) Bruno

dale@XANS87YUH33:~$ ls -al /usr/src/eDonkey2000/runDonkey.sh-rwxrw-r-- 1 500 500 37 2005-03-15 07:50 /usr/src/eDonkey2000/runDonkey.shdale@XANS87YUH33:~$
the entries in the menu editor are good,,, just typo error here ....

dale@XANS87YUH33:~$ /usr/src/eDonkey2000/runDonkey.sh/usr/src/eDonkey2000/runDonkey.sh: line 1: ./edonkey2000: No such file or directory
this is not what you wanted to see ...... y/n