RELEASED: Mandriva 10.2 ( Limited Edition 2005 )

Bruno

Have one right away.  My diesktop system booted in what I would consider a "normal" mode with Icons in the taskbar and on the desktop.  The laptop, however, has only *ONE* Icon *anywhere.*  That is the "menu" Icon in the taskbar.  Nothing on the desktop and nothing else in the taskbar.

Weird . . . never saw that before . . . and you are logged in as "user" . . not as "root" ( because this does sound like the root-desktop, that has no icons and an empty taskbar too ):D BrunoUPDATE: Maybe try to make another user called "test-user" login as that user and see if it has a "normal" desktop.
# adduser test-user

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• réjean

• lewmur

• teacher

Weird . . . never saw that before . . . and you are logged in as "user" . . not as "root" ( because this does sound like the root-desktop, that has no icons and an empty taskbar too ):D BrunoUPDATE: Maybe try to make another user called "test-user"  login as that user and see if it has a "normal" desktop. 
# adduser test-user

Being in root was the problem.

Hi all!The French link is working. Thanks Bruno!!! You wouldn't believe how many times I've tried nluug last night, and other links (obviously with the wrong 2nd line). Although I am just wondering if I am making a mistake. During the partitioning part I mentioned only hda8 as "/" ( this is where I reinstalled Drake 10.1 last night) it reformatted and is doing it's business right now. I didn't however mentionned hda9 which I dedicated as "/home" (what it used to be) last night. Am I doing it wrong? Can it be corrected later?

yeah yeah yeah, mandrake 10.2 is outoooooook, too bad it doesn't have ATI vid card supportbut anywayhow about a HOW-TO for installing over ftp, INSIDE VMware?? - since vware tools can't be loaded until there's an OS in place, meaning no networktivityishnessthat'd be a neat trick B) B) (managed to get 10.0 download version installed via ISO over my network in 4.0.5 vmware, but couldn't get an IP...)

Hi all!The French link is working. Thanks Bruno!!! You wouldn't believe how many times I've tried nluug last night, and other links (obviously with the wrong 2nd line). Although I am just wondering if I am making a mistake. During the partitioning part I mentioned only hda8 as "/" ( this is where I reinstalled Drake 10.1 last night) it reformatted and is doing it's business right now. I didn't however mentionned hda9 which I dedicated as "/home" (what it used to be) last night.  Am I doing it wrong? Can it be corrected later?

Hi Réjean, Glad the alternative mirror did work for you :thumbsup:Did you not get "7th screen: Choose file Mount points" ( see Mandrake 10.1 Official Install ) while doing the install ? It is there you should have told the installer where /home was . . . . .and on the next screen it would have given you the option to yes or no format that /home partition ( and your answer should have been "only format the / partition and not /home" ) ;):) Bruno

yeah yeah yeah, mandrake 10.2 is outoooooook, too bad it doesn't have ATI vid card supportbut anywayhow about a HOW-TO for installing over ftp, INSIDE VMware?? - since vware tools can't be loaded until there's an OS in place, meaning no networktivityishnessthat'd be a neat trick  :)   :clap: (managed to get 10.0 download version installed via ISO over my network in 4.0.5 vmware, but couldn't get an IP...)

Hi -ct- . . . . . . . Sure Mandriva/Mandrake has ATI drivers ( always had ) . . . but you will have to buy the retail packs and then they get installed and configured by default.Bonus: The retail-pack costs less then "Nero 6 Reloaded" ( saw that one advertised for $65 ) and you even get a complete OS next to excellent K3b burner software :PB) Bruno

... but you will have to buy the retail packs ...

key word there, BUY*nix is supposed to be "free" at least that's the whole idea anyway2nd problem is "installing" them, since they sure aint there by default in the downloadable version - that's a bit past my ability, i'm lucky i can find a text editor let alone install anything

Another thing... the download version has drivers for ATI, but there is no 3d. Since I do not use 3d apps, it is not an issue for me. ;P

8). Next screen: The Address . . . . watch out here . . . on the first line you put: ftp.proxad.neton the 2nd line: /pub/Distributions_Linux/Mandrake/official/2005/i586/  ( !! Case Sensitive !! ) NOTE:Our usual mirror "nluug" is syncing . . . the link above is a temp one and might be slower, the nluug will be posted again when the mirror is back in sync.:D Bruno

Arn't they through syncing yet? :lol: Oh well... maybe by tonite. :)

key word there, BUY*nix is supposed to be "free" at least that's the whole idea anyway2nd problem is "installing" them, since they sure aint there by default in the downloadable version - that's a bit past my ability, i'm lucky i can find a text editor let alone install anything

The "free" is free as in freedom . . . not as free as in free of charge . . . . . True most of it is indeed free of charge too, but in essence the "free software" should be read as freedom to adapt, change, improve ;):) Bruno

Arn't they through  syncing yet?  :lol: Oh well... maybe by tonite.  :)

Hi Dard . . . . the syncing is done !! . . and I will change the links to nluug soon . . anyway here is just for you ;)Line 1: ftp.nluug.nlLine 2: /pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/official/2005/i586/:D Bruno

Thanks Bruno!I noticed that the path in line 2 is different than the first nluug was.Also the boot.iso in now 14 megs where as the first one was 10 megs.I'll start the install shortly, I have to go out and get more 3" cd's to burn that boot.iso file to. :)

Thanks  Bruno!I noticed that the path in line 2 is different than the first nluug was.Also the boot.iso in now 14 megs where as the first one was 10 megs.I'll start the install shortly, I have to go out and get more 3" cd's to burn that boot.iso file to. :)

Hi Dard . . you can use the first boot.iso as well . . . . it was only updated because some people complained about it not having their morrir pre-fixed in it . . . . but the first one will do just as good :DB) Bruno

>people complained about it not having their morrir pre-fixed in itYou mean mirror?That seems like a lot for the 4MB difference in size, oh well must be a lot of mirrors to choose from. ;)

Checking on space requitements for Mdk2K5 In the tips the following are giveb for 10gb1gb root3gb usr5gb home500mg swapI noticed after syncing the ftp sires with the urpmi command , installing files I have 300mb listed Do Ineed to redoo with a larger , root of usr partitionCharliePs thunderbird is an installable file , now to find it