reinstall Windows 98SE

Shamgar

That's the purpose of the AUTO.EXEC.BAT file. In the Win98 startup disk, this file creates a RAM drive (%RAMD%, a virtual drive in the system memory) to where it extracts the contents of the EBD.CAB file (diagnostic tools) and copies COMMAND.COM. Then it sets this RAM drive as the location of your command interpreter: SET COMSPEC=%RAMD%:\COMMAND.COMMy suggestion is for you to create another (clean) boot disk if you have Windows installed. Open the floppy drive in Windows Explorer, right-click and select FORMAT and in the dialog, check COPY SYSTEM FILES. You can then copy the tools (in C:\Windows\Command folder) you use to that floppy, i.e. fdisk, format, scandisk.

Thanks for the clarification. What about the rescue disk I created when I installed? Wouldn't that have the info I need? Or can't I use the rescue disk as a boot disk? :P So if I have this new disk, from the installed windows, I don't have to "delete the autoexec.bat file and clear up contents in the config.sys file"? Edited by Shamgar

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shamgar

• b2cm

• James M. Fisher

• Stonegiant

So if I have this new disk, from the installed windows, I don't have to "delete the autoexec.bat file and clear up contents in the config.sys file"?
Yes. Keep that rescue disk for troubleshooting purposes. Use the new disk for disk preparation.

Yes. Keep that rescue disk for troubleshooting purposes. Use the new disk for disk preparation.

Thanks for the clarification. I will make a new disk the very first thing when I boot up my other computer. :P
Why is Acts 5:29 particularly meaningful to you? :P

Because most people say they do . . . but don't in actual practice . . . you will know them by their fruits not their words. B)

Very good. Speaking of ethics, by "fruits" I always liked to mean this: "and be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you". :D Peace be to you.

Very good. Speaking of ethics, by "fruits" I always liked to mean this: "and be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you".  :P Peace be to you.

Well I have the startup disk created. Thanks. B) Edited by Shamgar