• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shamgar

• b2cm

• James M. Fisher

• Stonegiant

Yes, it is the Nvidia drivers. What exactly is this Nvidia card?

I have a 800x600 in 64 colors, Nvidiia Geforce4 MX 420 ver 4.0 card. However, I do not see a disk for the drivers. The only disc I have is for the Asus mother board which also has the C-media Audio Drivers v5.12.01.0635 and Applications.BTW I do have the current drives for the Nvidia card and a driver from july (?) of last year. Edited by Shamgar

Okay adding the Nvidia drivers first made a big difference. I have installed the the SIS from the Asus mother board cd. I DID NOT get the error message this time. :'( Okay I will do some updating of drivers then I will do the c-media section.

Thanks for all the help. I have even stopped threatening my computer with a very large and heavy hammer . . . . for today. :'( nice computer . . . . good computer. . . . ah Nvidia. martillazo7bl.gif

Okay, I made a mistake. . . . I am up too late. I forgot it was the C-media that caused the problems. I just tried installing that and kept on hitting the the skip button button:These are the files missing from C: windows\system\precopyksdataksinterf.axksproxy.axksvpintf.axmspclock.sysmskssrv.sysand the Kslockf.axIt still says it is waiting for the audio drivers.Where is that hammer? martillazo7bl.gif

You can download the latest drivers here:http://www.sis.com/download/You might want to install in this order. (No need for the safe mode approach.)1. SiS IDE driver (v2.04a)2. AGP (Gart) driver (v1.19a)3. Your AGP card drivers4. CMI audio drivers, USB drivers, LAN5. DirectX, codecs, Internet Explorer, etc.6. Unofficial Service PackDon't update your BIOS if your not having BIOS-related problems.

Okay I am up to here : codecs. What are my codec drivers?

Just install your multimedia apps or update your Windows Media Player.

Thanks I have WMP9 installed now. I have installed the IESP1 and am working on installing the updates for IE SP 1. I hae this file downloaded. What is it? Some sort of zip file? I can't open it.http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=42259&st=10Microsoft Internet Explorer 5/6 MSXML v4.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003:MSXML 4.0 SP2 [5.04 MB, right-click to save!]:http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/6...1629c/msxml.msiexplotar2jr.gif

msi files take advantage of the Windows Installer 2.x. I do believe you will need to install Windows Installer 2.x before you can make use of the msi file.Windows Installer 2.0 Redistributable for Windows 95, 98, and Mehttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.as...isplayLang%3den

Thanks for he reply. I am downloading now. OdBall-thatworks2.gifSo this installer will know where to put my updates? I am trying to decipher MS readme as we speak.

codecs are the code that allow you to view / listen to different types or versions of media, such as mp3 or divx.downloading the latest divx player will allow you to view many files that media player (as installed) won't.

Thanks for the tip.I have the windows Installer installed and patches up to but not including MSXML Patch 2.6.I have an error now. Error occured MSXML Patch 2.6.Now I recieved and error message which says:"Error occured MSXML Patch 2.6. . . . either the version installed does not match the version of this hotfix or setup was unable to determine version currently installed." :lol:

www.microsoft.com/technettype in the most significant part of your error:error msxml patch 2.6and search.  that may help.

Thanks :lol: I found out that the direct links from the Unofficial Windows Service Pack Forum were not up to date. I am remedying that situation right now. Besides this slight annoyance I am actually having fun getting this machine up and running by myself ("by myself" meaning with the forums help of course) :lol: Security Update, February 13, 2002U.S. EnglishPosted: February 21, 2002 http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downlo...44/download.asp Download MSXML 4.0 Download FileSecurity Update 4.46 MB file 22 min @ 28.8 Kbpshttp://download.microsoft.com/download/xml...S/msxml4qfe.exe MSXML 3.0 Download FileSecurity Update 544 KB file 3 min @ 28.8 Kbpshttp://download.microsoft.com/download/xml...MSXML30_x86.exe MSXML 2.6 Download FileSecurity Update 381 KB file 2 min @ 28.8 Kbpshttp://download.microsoft.com/download/xml...MSXML20_x86.exeClick the Security Update link for your version of MSXML to download.

We all learn and give/get advice from others. I have been doing this for over 15 years and still learn a lot by joining places like this and participating. (my first day!)Codec stands for code decode, and you will need a lot of them if you watch videos on your computer. Try www.codec-download.com and get some of their packs. New ones come out all the time, so it is something you need to keep up with. Media player tries to find a codec if it doesn't have the one it needs, but usually fails, so you have to find them yourself. Keep with it long enough, and you can play 90% of the video you run across.

Okay it turns out I didn't find the problem. I looked in the c:\windows\dahotfix.log and it says"error MSMXL 2.6 is not installed on the machine." It can hardly patch something that is not on the machine. Maybe I need to Install the Windows 98SE Unofficial Service Pack next to see if that doesn't take care of this missing file? Or is it on the 98SE cdrom and I need to copy it like the Kxxxxxx problems?Thanks fo the tip, Rando.

Edited by Shamgar

Well actually I started over and loaded 98SE with 98lite. Everything went so much better that way. I didn't start installing drivers first but the IE SP first. Now the system is up and running.I also found out I was partitioning incorrectly so I was getting a weird error.Okay I am formating drive c:, the command is A:> format c: /u /s ? In other words is it A:.format[space]c:/u[space]/s OR A:>format[space]c:[space]/u[space]/s? I was doing: A:>format[space]c:[space]/u[space]/s. That is what it looks like on thee xample given on my tutorial. So I did A:>format[space]c:/u and had no problems. The other partitions I did A:>format[space]c:/u , also.I also so another example of someone doing this: A:>format[space]c:/qWhat is the correct way? B)

Edited by Shamgar

James M. Fisher

I always use the last one with the 'quick' (/q) switch. If you prefer a full format, leave it off.

There should be a space between format and the drive letter, and spaces separating each switch.format c: /u /sAlways do a full format. If you are installing Win98 on this partition, do not forget to set this partition to Active (using FDISK).What exactly are errors you are getting?

There should be a space between format and the drive letter, and spaces separating each switch.format c: /u /sAlways do a full format. If you are installing Win98 on this partition, do not forget to set this partition to Active (using FDISK).What exactly are errors you are getting?

Thanks for all the clarifications. :thumbsup: I was getting an invalid command.com error

I was getting an invalid command.com error
Check your autoexec.bat file on boot floppy. There should be commands there specifying the command environment/path (must be changed to A:\command.com). This isn't related to disk partition.

Check your autoexec.bat file on boot floppy. There should be commands there specifying the command environment/path (must be changed to A:\command.com). This isn't related to disk partition.

You mean if the message "invalid command.com" comes up and asks for where the command .com is I should type in "A:\command.com" ? Edited by Shamgar

Windows 98 usually generates startup disks that assumes you have Windows installed and so set (in the autoexec.bat file) the command environment to C:\windows or some RAM drive. If Windows is not installed then you get that error. The quick way to avoid the error is to delete the autoexec.bat file and clear up contents in the config.sys file. You can also edit the file (if you need to load CD drivers or create a RAM drive and expand the ebd.cab) to point to a:\command.com.

Guest LilBambi

I have never seen that type of error, however, I generally change to a: before making the 'format c: /u' (sans quotes) command when booting from a boot floppy.

Windows 98 usually generates startup disks that assumes you have Windows installed and so set (in the autoexec.bat file) the command environment to C:\windows or some RAM drive. If Windows is not installed then you get that error. . You can also edit the file (if you need to load CD drivers or create a RAM drive and expand  the ebd.cab) to point to a:\command.com.

Okay what you are saying is when I put the boot disk in . . . that info from the disk is loaded into the computer. When Windows is not on the harddrive that I am loading it to it will give that error? So how do I "delete the autoexec.bat file and clear up contents in the config.sys file"? Am I deleting this from the floppy disk or from the C: drive? ;) :P :lol: :wacko: Remember I am two steps above hopeless.

That's the purpose of the AUTO.EXEC.BAT file. In the Win98 startup disk, this file creates a RAM drive (%RAMD%, a virtual drive in the system memory) to where it extracts the contents of the EBD.CAB file (diagnostic tools) and copies COMMAND.COM. Then it sets this RAM drive as the location of your command interpreter: SET COMSPEC=%RAMD%:\COMMAND.COMMy suggestion is for you to create another (clean) boot disk if you have Windows installed. Open the floppy drive in Windows Explorer, right-click and select FORMAT and in the dialog, check COPY SYSTEM FILES. You can then copy the tools (in C:\Windows\Command folder) you use to that floppy, i.e. fdisk, format, scandisk.