Shamgar Wants to Try Suse

Shamgar

LOL . . . . I am puzzled . . where is the typo ?? I do not see any now . . and my quote is exactly what the title is at this moment . . . :'(:) Bruno

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shamgar

• Bruno

• teacher

• BarryB

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL . . . . I am puzzled  . . where is the typo ?? I do not see any now . . and my quote is exactly what the title is at this moment . . . :'(B) Bruno

No problem  . . Firday is okay !BTW: What I really like about this thread is the title of it "Shagmar Wants to Try Suse" . . we are 204 posts and 1465 views later . . and still you have to start installing SUSE  . . :)  :thumbsup:  :D B) Bruno

Bruno: Shagmar does not equal Shamgar. :D It is one of those things were "you can't see the forest for all the trees." Like when a coding error is staring you in the face but you can't see it because you are looking so hard to find the error. I actually noticed it at first but didn't say anything. . . to err is human. I must be really human with all my computer blunders and typos.Julia: I was am disappointed since I cannot find a king smiley with my Smiley Xtra so I will have to claim my title with this knight. Hail to the king! ( I think my head has swollen too much for the crown - maybe some butter will ease it on? After all I need to be annointed to be king.)bek150.gif Edited by Shamgar

Okay, I am going to wipe out the mandrake 9.2 install on my smaller 13.6 gig harddrive, hdB for Win98se. Should I partition that drive into C and D since we set up that backup partition for both Linux and Windows (or at least I think that is what we did)? Or should I just make on C drive? :) ( I am thinking one big C drive is the correct answer.)What do you do for eyes when you keep getting butter dripping into them?guerrero2xc.gif

Butter in the eyes? Go up to the arctic and take a dip in the waters and play with the penguins. That should take care of the butter in the eyes. :) :)I would only use one drive as a backup under normal circumstances. I would not, however, backup Linux and Windows on the same partition. It just does not sound good to me. One windows-formatted drive for Windows and a Linux-formatted drive for Linux. :)

Okay, I am going to wipe out the mandrake 9.2 install on my smaller 13.6 gig harddrive, hdB for Win98se.  Should I partition that drive into C and D since we set up that backup partition for both Linux and Windows (or at least I think that is what we did)?  Or should I just make on C drive?  :)  ( I am thinking one big C drive is the correct answer.)What do you do for eyes when you keep getting butter dripping into them?guerrero2xc.gif

Okay this is the hdb drive isn't it . . . Well, 13.6 G is far to big for Win98SE . . . . . 1 G will do fine and you will have less to defrag ( win98SE takes only 250MB for itsself :D ) . . then make a second partition of 5 G for the extra programs you want to install . . . . . leaves us roughly 7 G . . . for either shared storage partition . . . or 3.5 Win and 3.5 Linux . . . . . ;)But I would just make 3 partitions:hdb1 1 Ghdb5 5 Ghdb6 7 GAnd format them all to FAT . . with NO mountpoint :) . . . . You do this using the Mandrake partition tool . . . . . Later at the install of Windows they will be called C: D: and E: ;)B) Bruno

Butter in the eyes?  Go up to the arctic and take a dip in the waters and play with the penguins.  That should take care of the butter in the eyes. :)  :)I would only use one drive as a backup under normal circumstances.  I would not, however, backup Linux and Windows on the same partition.  It just does not sound good to me.  One windows-formatted drive for Windows and a Linux-formatted drive for Linux. :)

Well I don't know exactly what we did. The backup is on my harddrive with My Linux programs. I think it is able to be accessed by both Linux and Windows. At least I was given that option by Bruno. With my indecision I think I said that both should access the partition (I am more a disc burn backup kind of person). Oh, thanks for the eye treatment. Won't the salt water hurt my eyes just as much as the butter?Kings have to be careful you know.bek150.gif

Bruno:   Shagmar does not equal Shamgar. :) 

You know I have been looking over and over at that title . . comparing the two versions . . . and could not find any difference . . . . . LOL . . . . . Now I do see though, and I know I have made the same mistake before somewhere, after wich I started to call you "Sham", just to be sure to not make the same mistake again :) . . . . :D B) . . . Well, that did not help much did it ?? ;)B) Bruno

Okay this is the hdb drive isn't it  . . . Well, 13.6 G is far to big for Win98SE . . . . . 1 G will do fine and you will have less to defrag ( win98SE takes only 250MB for itsself :) ) . . then make a second partition of 5 G for the extra programs you want to install . . . . . leaves us roughly 7 G . . . for either shared storage partition . . . or 3.5 Win and 3.5 Linux . . . . . ;)But I would just make 3 partitions:hdb1 1 Ghdb5 5 Ghdb6 7 GAnd format them all to FAT . . with NO mountpoint :) . . . . You do this using the Mandrake partition tool . . . . . Later at the install of Windows they will be called C: D: and E:  ;):D Bruno

Sorry I missed your post as I was bumped to the next page. Yes, it is the hdb drive. So you only want Win98SE on the first partion. Any games, application will go on the second partition. Okau I will go will make three partitions all FAT with no mountpoints and format them. I have no idea what 3.5 Win or 3.5 Linux are.Julia, So now I am the Emperor Penquin?ugly_tux.gifguerrero2xc.gif

I have no idea what 3.5 Win or 3.5 Linux are.
That was an alternative for the 3rd partition od 7 G . . . make it partition mnumber 3 and 4 of each half of 7 = 3.5 G . . . . . :PB) Bruno

Okay I have a C, D, E partition that are formated, FAT32 and unmounted. :) BTW do I need a bootcd for the ATL? :)

Edited by Shamgar

Nope you only need a boot CD for Mandrake 10.1 now . . . ;)If Win 98SE gives you an error about the MBR on hda ( not Win compatible ) plug out hda and make hdb to master while you do the install ( But do not forget to switch it back to the original position :) ):) Bruno

Nope you only need a boot CD for Mandrake 10.1 now . . . ;)If Win 98SE gives you an error about the MBR on hda ( not Win compatible ) plug out hda and make hdb to master while you do the install ( But do not forget to switch it back to the original position :) ):) Bruno

You mean go into the BIOS and change hda to slave and hdb to master?

Nope I mean . . open the box and pull the cables . . . . ( BUT: only if the installer is giving you a hard time about lilo in the MBR . . . chances are it will not complain at all :) ):) Bruno

Nope I mean . . open the box and pull the cables . . . . ( BUT: only if the installer is giving you a hard time about lilo in the MBR  . . . chances are it will not complain at all :) ):D Bruno

I think I will have to pull the cables off of the hda hardrive since it only wants to load on the Linux hard drive -hda :) .

Butter in the eyes?  Go up to the arctic and take a dip in the waters and play with the penguins.  That should take care of the butter in the eyes. :)  :)I would only use one drive as a backup under normal circumstances.  I would not, however, backup Linux and Windows on the same partition.  It just does not sound good to me.  One windows-formatted drive for Windows and a Linux-formatted drive for Linux. :)

Hi Julia!Just a little reminder that penguins live in the Antartic only. Not the Artic. Your advise about playing with the penguins sounds good, however. Edited by réjean

I think I will have to pull the cables off of the hda hardrive since it only wants to load on the Linux hard drive -hda  :) .

See ? . . That is what I was refering too . . . . pull the cable of hda . . and put the other HD in its place . . make that one master and put the hda somewhere safe on a shelf . . so nothing can happen to it :DB) Bruno

See ?  . . That is what I was refering too . . . . pull the cable of hda . . and put the other HD in its place . . make that one master and put the hda somewhere safe on a shelf . . so nothing can happen to it :DB) Bruno

So you want me to pull the cables off of both harddrives. Remove the hda and put it on a shelf and put the hdb in the slot where the hda was and put the hda cable on it? :) The only "surgery" I have ever done on a computer is to remove a winmodem and hook up a US robotics modem. . . and I needed much encouragment to do that.

Well Sham . . you do not have to really remove them . . . just :First have a good look how they are connected . . . . . and look at the "jumpers"on the back of each one . . one is set to master and the other one to slave ( by the jumper )( see the manufacturers website for more info on that if you need to )Then . . the one at the end of the flat gray cable is the master ( hda ) . . . . the one in the middle of the flat gray cable is the slave ( hdb ) . . . unplug both and put the plug that was in hda in hdb . . . . also pull the white electra cable from previous hda just to be sure . . . . . and see to it that the jumper is set correctly to master on the connected one :) . . . That is all ther is to it :DB) Bruno

Well Sham . . you do not have to really remove them . . . just :First have a good look how they are connected . . . . . and look at the "jumpers"on the back of each one . . one is set to master and the other one to slave ( by the jumper )( see the manufacturers website for more info on that  if you need to )Then . . the one at the end of the flat gray cable is the master ( hda ) . . . . the one in the middle of the flat gray cable is the slave ( hdb ) . . . unplug both and put the plug that was in hda in hdb . . . . also pull the white electra cable from previous hda just to be sure . . . . .  and see to it that the jumper is set  correctly to master on the connected one :) . . . That is all ther is to it :DB) Bruno

Okay I marked each of the 2 grey and 2 white plugs with a black marker. I pulled both white and grey plugs from the hda. I put the hda grey plug into the hdb harddrive. Do I leave the original hdb plug in the hdb hardrive?

The white plug ?? Yes . . that is okay . . . . . :o Bruno

Sorry I meant the white plug. Okay I will "plug" away with this project. :P The next time I post i will have Windows 98 SE installed . . . or a very flat computer. floppydisk.giffahr39.gif Edited by Shamgar

Sham,What brand of harddrive are we talking about ?? . . . did you see the link I posted of Maxtor ? . . . . All the other HD manufacturers have websites to where they explain about the jumper settings :DB) Bruno

IBM DTTA-371440 . Actually the nice people at IBM give you a little diagram that you can read with you head and neck at a 90 degree angle. However, I don't know what the little pictures mean.