Are you gonna switch?

Peachy

If you've never owned a Mac will the mini make you switch?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I drool over Macs. I have worked on a lot of them several years ago but have never owned one. When I add up the price, including software, I have to think twice. Hubby, who knows nothing about computers, has had the Mac catch his eye to the point he keeps noticing anything about them in the media. Maybe a Mac is in the future once we no longer need to pay tuition for my daughter and granddaughter. :lol:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arena2045

• lewmur

• nlinecomputers

• Peachy

This is what Extreme Tech Weekly has to say about it.http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1751694,00.asp
Typical. They are missing the point.- Doesn't come with a keyboard, mouse, display: Yeah, thats the point. People asked for such a system and now they bitch, can't have it both ways people. Most people have extra usb keyboards and mice that are not being used, and some might have an extra monitor or two: if not, big deal it will cost just a bit extra for the Mac experience, and you wont have to use those D*** one button mice.- The whole processor / specs: Comparing Apples to Windows... the classic debate that can never be won because the specs to a PC user is always way to low... you just can't compare them.- G5 vs G4: HELLO!!!! What do you call the Intel Celeron? A low end chip-set from Intel! The G4 is the low end chip-set from Apple! The Mac mini is a low-end mac at the end of the middle-of-the line (system spec wise). PLEASE don't use this as an excuse!!! Oh my god the iBooks and Powerbooks, and eMacs still use G4's that must mean they are ****: please. The G4 is a great processor don't dismiss it.- HELLO they are running WINDOWS! The Mac mini runs Mac OS X, and can run various forms of 'nix.Oh I see that the site is owned by Ziff Davis... like that org isn't biased!

Gee, even I know that you can't compare Macs and PCs evenly. It just does not work. I think this one fills a nitch for those that are interested in exploring Macs. The missing essentials, if not found in your hardware cupboard, are easy to pick up at bargain prices. :'(

Gee, even I know that you can't compare Macs and PCs evenly.  It just does not work.  I think this one fills  a nitch for those that are interested in exploring Macs.  The missing essentials, if not found in your hardware cupboard, are easy to pick up at bargain prices. :'(
Agreed.

He he, love to see Arena fuming :)ExtremeTech is cool site but it is PC oriented and as you noticed Celeron and G4 can not really be compared, at all.I am using G4-500 Mhz in production every day and P3 1Ghz can not come even close to that performance, not Celeron.We have G5's as well but are not as used as G4's untill most of designers don't upgrade.Others here are still using G3's and G4's and we are talking serious production with editing of large images etc..I am still waiting for independant review of new Mac mini as these is just trash talk and not deceint review.I did not expect this from Extremetech.

Typical.  They are missing the point.- Doesn't come with a keyboard, mouse, display: Yeah, thats the point.  People asked for such a system and now they bitch, can't have it both ways people.  Most people have extra usb keyboards and mice that are not being used, and some might have an extra monitor or two: if not, big deal it will cost just a bit extra for the Mac experience, and you wont have to use those D*** one button mice.- The whole processor / specs: Comparing Apples to Windows... the classic debate that can never be won because the specs to a PC user is always way to low... you just can't compare them.- G5 vs G4: HELLO!!!! What do you call the Intel Celeron?  A low end chip-set from Intel!  The G4 is the low end chip-set from Apple!  The Mac mini is a low-end mac at the end of the middle-of-the line (system spec wise).  PLEASE don't use this as an excuse!!!  Oh my god the iBooks and Powerbooks, and eMacs still use G4's that must mean they are ****: please.  The G4 is a great processor don't dismiss it.- HELLO they are running WINDOWS!  The Mac mini runs Mac OS X, and can run various forms of 'nix.Oh I see that the site is owned by Ziff Davis... like that org isn't biased!
If one is willing to pay an 67% premium for the "MAC Experience," then do so. Just don't claim this box competes in "bang for the buck" with PC based boxes. That was the "point" of the article that *you* apparently missed.Did you even bother the check the links in the article to see what a "small form factor" PC box was selling for?I don't doubt that MAC users have been wanting to buy a box sans the overpriced accessories that Apple has traditionally foisted on their customers, but PC users have been able to do this since the post XT days.As I said to begin with, this may be a big deal to current MAC users, but, IMHO, to the computing world in general, it is a "so what?." I will even grant that, to students taking graphic arts or publishing courses, it is probably a *very* big deal. But that is still a small portion of the overall market.(Double post deleted) Edited by teacher

And here is for comparison another side's review.A bit biased but with very valid arguments:http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/20...anges/index.phpAlso on OSNews comparison:http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=9450And if you are into disassembling here is short video how to pry open Mac mini without damaging it:http://www.smashsworld.com/2005/01/taking-...mini-how-to.php

Here's a question from someone who hasn't been on an apple computer since 1989!If the mouse is USB will a two-button scroll wheel mouse work on a MAC? (No I don't expect all the buttons to work like they do on a PC, I just don't want to buy another mouse if I try this).

nlinecomputers

Yes they do. And they often work like you expect them two. A right click opens a menu. Something you have to use a keypress and a mouse to do with the one button mac crap. I know plenty of people that have plugged up standard PC Logitech wireless keyboards and mice to macs. They work just fine.

I am using it as I type and not only on OSX, I am using Logitech two buttons and scroolwheel mouse at the moment on OS 9.2 and scrolling through this page in Mozilla.As Nathan pointed, right click replaces by default "Option"+ single click.

Heck, the Dell doesn’t even include antivirus software (a $62 option), which for Windows computers these days is like selling a car without brakes—in both cases you simply turn it on and pray.
:D ;)

I'm tempted to get one..and yea..it would be for the cool factor...but I figure people will buy what they need first and want second..and maybe the mini will make that easier for MAC fans..and thats cool...Maybe a KVM switch... :D...now how can I justify this to the wife..

Edited by BarryB

ummm counting my work laptop...that would be ..ummmm 17... :D But I've been good...Maybe I'll ask for something more expensive..and "settle "for the Mini B) ...Yea...that might work... ;) Then again..I just might get hurt :(

Unless it's the get hurt part....then it will be time for plan "B"Extreme Begging(This usually just amuses her)if that doesn't work....Sometimes it's better to beg for forgiveness (and your life) rather than ask permission :D

There must be something she wants. Make a deal, you get the MAC and she gets to buy what she wants and you don't mention another word about your purchases! :D

Good option Liz...and Giant you are very correct..(but I like where I am :D ..besides I would get hurt if I said any differently... :D )...but still I can really see the mini as an option for those that always wanted a good performing new MAC at a reasonable cost..epecially those that had the monitor and keyboard/mouse on hand( and not having to settle for used....I can see that it would appeal to some in the PC crowd too....particularly the SFNL Highlanders..we seem to like new things :D

lamb_of_budha

well ofcourse that gaming thing is your opinion personally i hate counsels!one: i like multiplayer game playtwo: i like fps games like cs and planetside.three: graphics for a counsels suck windows game box forever will live!!!!!

i think that Macs are cool, my brother inlaw is a true Mac fanatic nothing else exists other then his mac, i suppose if Macs werent 2-3x more than your average pc maybe more ppl would have one.. but for the average person its alot of $$$ .... i seen how much he paid for his powerbook and its a beautiful laptop with a nice huge mointor but still tooo $$$ ;) so maybe mini will open some doors to others that never considered buying a mac on acount of its expense @ zoxwas just reading that link, although i think i would get a mini cos its just different more toys plz B)

Granted, the Mac Mini does not provide the hardware power for the money relative to a SFF x86 PC, but at this price point it's not about equivalent spces, it's about style. The Mac Mini looks more stylish than any SFF I've ever seen, and probably quieter too. Also, if price was a deterrent from getting a Mac, this new Apple product just lowered the barrier. I'm very tempted. However, I may wait 6 months to see what hardware upgrades Apple makes.

I truly fail to understand making an (for my purposes, at least) inferior purchase purely to be stylish. Granted, I'm a guy that likely has less style than most. I guess that means I care more about functionality than aesthetics.

Side note:VIA MacMinute.com:

Apple has quietly cut prices on build-to-order (BTO) components for its new Mac mini. The company is now offering the Bluetooth and AirPort Extreme wireless option for US$99 (was $129), the 1GB DDR333 SDRAM upgrade for $325 (was $475), and the 80GB ultra ATA hard drive upgrade for $50 (was $80). Apple is also now listing an 8x SuperDrive option instead of the previous 4x model for the same $100 cost.

Granted, the Mac Mini does not provide the hardware power for the money relative to a SFF x86 PC, but at this price point it's not about equivalent spces, it's about style. The Mac Mini looks more stylish than any SFF I've ever seen, and probably quieter too. Also, if price was a deterrent from getting a Mac, this new Apple product just lowered the barrier. I'm very tempted. However, I may wait 6 months to see what hardware upgrades Apple makes.
You consider a basic cube to be "stylish?"

Computers have been box shaped since the beginning... Apple changed that with the iMac.But now it is back to the box again, albeit a mini box... where to go from here? They stuck a G4 in it because a G5 was too hot. So what will be next? A smaller box? Boring...How about the OQO?topview.jpgPortableWiFiBluetoothUSBFirewireScreen and keyboard...And it fits in my pocket...I'd spend money on that long before a Mac Mini...