Linux Mint 17.3 Mate Banshee no sound

Eagle

Hi all,

I have Banshee 2.6.2.installed on Mint 17.3 Mate.

Last week this problem of no sound started.

When i double click a song in My Music or Play Queue the song is grayed out and i get a grayed out X in a square box next to the song.

The nornally bright blue high light of the song is a dull blue.

The volumn slider works but the slider for the time left of a song does not move even when i click on play. I also cant move it with the mouse.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Eagle

What is the Output and Configuration tab in pavucontrol showing? On my machine I have both HDMI audio and Built In Analog Stereo listed. In Playback I use the Built In Analog Stereo since I don't have HDMI speakers connected on my Monitor. The playback tab shows the information about Banshee which is currently running fine - playing 38 Special Southern Rock Mp3s..

It may be you'll have to remove and reinstall Banshee. Alternatively you could try an install of Rhythmbox and see if that works.

:th_hi:

As far as Banshee goes, I've never used it so I can't offer much help, but you may want to try VLC media player. I use nvlc myself, a menu-based CLI version. (It's awesome once you get the hang of it). It's automatically installed as part of the vlc package (which you can install through apt-get if you haven't got it already.) just open up a terminal and type 'nvlc'. pressing 'shift + B' will open up a file browser in your home directory, so you can add a file to the plalist (or an entire directory by pressing 'spacebar'.

Mqe3zlF7.png

Footnote: Pressing 'h' will open up the help dialogue.

Edited by Dr. J

securitybreach

Hi securitybreach,

Ok now i need alittle help.

How would i launch banshee from term?

Eagle

Open a terminal and type banshee and hit enter.

Hedon James

I also have Banshee 2.6.2 running on Ubuntu 14.04. I've never experienced, nor heard of your issue, but I did see Banshee act similarly when I recently learned how to add internet radio station to Banshee. Until I put the URL exactly as Banshee expected it, it placed the small "x" in a box next to the station I had added. Once I had the address as Banshee liked it, the "x" went away and the station played. With respect to your song files, these issues are likely attributable to either the music files themselves; the Banshee program itself; or an external factor outside of the music files or Banshee. In order to figure it out, check out these ideas:

- Do all songs in Banshee act like this, or just certain ones? If just certain ones, have you installed the restricted-extra codecs? Not sure what Mint package it is, but in Ubuntu it is ubuntu-restricted-extras. Also, is it possible that your song(s) has DRM in it, such as Apple's proprietary *.m4p format; also MS *.wav format may or may not be proprietary...no way to tell other than it just won't play. Proprietary music can only be played on the device it was acquired with; if possible, burn to a cd with the original device/software, then rip the cd from within Banshee and DRM is gone!

- Was Banshee working before, but now it has stopped? If so, this might suggest a corruption of some sort. Since this is happening with your music, I am thinking that your Banshee database (which shows your music in Banshee) is somehow corrupted or is no longer matching up with the physical location on the hard drive. If you click Edit>Preferences>Source Specifc, does Banshee point to the correct directory? If not, adjust to point to the correct directory. Alternatively, is your music on an external drive or is it located on the same internal HD as your OS? If on an external drive, make sure it is mounted. If It is mounted, or if its on the same internal HD as your OS, verify your permissions haven't changed somehow.

- Perhaps your database is corrupted. I had issues with my Banshee database a LONG time ago, back before Banshee hit the 2.x series, and the solution was to rebuild my database. I think I had to delete a config file in the Banshee directory, then allow Banshee to rescan my directories to rebuild. This looks like what I remember doing:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/44578/how-to-really-really-rescan-media-library-in-banshee

Hi all,

raymac46: I have both HDMI audio and Built In Analog Stereo listed and i also use the built In Analog Stereo.

I have 400 songs which is over 6 gig and if at all possible i dont want to remove and install banshee;-(. the songs are grouped into classical, country, and rock and listed in order as i like them to play.

Dr J: the same reply as to raymac;-)

raymac:

i did that and the same results;-((

Eagle

Hedon James,

Do all songs in Banshee act like this, or just certain ones?

All songs.

have you installed the restricted-extra codecs?

Yes i have Ubuntu restricte extras installed.

I havent added any music for months.

Was Banshee working before, but now it has stopped?

Yes it has worked great since i installed Mint 17.3 quite awhile ago.

Banshee database (which shows your music in Banshee) is somehow corrupted or is no longer matching up with the physical location on the hard drive.

The locatiion of the music has not changed.

If you click Edit>Preferences>Source Specifc, does Banshee point to the correct directory?

Yes it points to the correct directory and all music is on the HD as my OS.

I believe this is the trouble.

After reading the link i did the (under media/import media) and it works!! Its not in order but i have all day to rearange the music as i like it.

You all are top notch!!

Thanks for all suggestions/help. You rock!

Thank you, thank you,

Eagle

• Like 2

Bummer!

I played the first song and now no matter what song i double click it plays the first song only even in Music as opposed to Quere.

This is the output from term after opening banshee from term:

larry@larry-A780L3B ~ $ banshee

[info 09:44:41.691] Running Banshee 2.6.2: [ubuntu 14.04 LTS (linux-gnu, x86_64) @ 2014-05-07 01:29:59 UTC]

(Banshee:5710): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface (AtkComponent) to class (__gtksharp_49_Hyena_Gui_BaseWidgetAccessible) after class_init

(Banshee:5710): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface (AtkSelection) to class (__gtksharp_50_Hyena_Data_Gui_Accessibility_ListViewAccessible+601+5b+5bBanshee_Collection_TrackInfo+2c+20Banshee_Core+2c+20Version+3d2_6_0_0+2c+20Culture+3dneutral+2c+20PublicKeyToken+3dnull+5d+5d) after class_init

(Banshee:5710): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface (AtkTable) to class (__gtksharp_50_Hyena_Data_Gui_Accessibility_ListViewAccessible+601+5b+5bBanshee_Collection_TrackInfo+2c+20Banshee_Core+2c+20Version+3d2_6_0_0+2c+20Culture+3dneutral+2c+20PublicKeyToken+3dnull+5d+5d) after class_init

(Banshee:5710): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface (AtkSelection) to class (__gtksharp_56_Hyena_Data_Gui_Accessibility_ListViewAccessible+601+5b+5bBanshee_Collection_Database_QueryFilterInfo+601+5b+5bSystem_String+2c+20mscorlib+2c+20Version+3d4_0_0_0+2c+20Culture+3dneutral+2c+20PublicKeyToken+3db77a5c561934e089+5d+5d+2c+20Banshee_Services+2c+20Version+3d2_6_0_0+2c+20Culture+3dneutral+2c+20PublicKeyToken+3dnull+5d+5d) after class_init

(Banshee:5710): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface (AtkTable) to class (__gtksharp_56_Hyena_Data_Gui_Accessibility_ListViewAccessible+601+5b+5bBanshee_Collection_Database_QueryFilterInfo+601+5b+5bSystem_String+2c+20mscorlib+2c+20Version+3d4_0_0_0+2c+20Culture+3dneutral+2c+20PublicKeyToken+3db77a5c561934e089+5d+5d+2c+20Banshee_Services+2c+20Version+3d2_6_0_0+2c+20Culture+3dneutral+2c+20PublicKeyToken+3dnull+5d+5d) after class_init

(Banshee:5710): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface (AtkSelection) to class (__gtksharp_62_Hyena_Data_Gui_Accessibility_ListViewAccessible+601+5b+5bBanshee_Collection_ArtistInfo+2c+20Banshee_Core+2c+20Version+3d2_6_0_0+2c+20Culture+3dneutral+2c+20PublicKeyToken+3dnull+5d+5d) after class_init

(Banshee:5710): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface (AtkTable) to class (__gtksharp_62_Hyena_Data_Gui_Accessibility_ListViewAccessible+601+5b+5bBanshee_Collection_ArtistInfo+2c+20Banshee_Core+2c+20Version+3d2_6_0_0+2c+20Culture+3dneutral+2c+20PublicKeyToken+3dnull+5d+5d) after class_init

(Banshee:5710): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface (AtkSelection) to class (__gtksharp_68_Hyena_Data_Gui_Accessibility_ListViewAccessible+601+5b+5bBanshee_Collection_YearInfo+2c+20Banshee_Core+2c+20Version+3d2_6_0_0+2c+20Culture+3dneutral+2c+20PublicKeyToken+3dnull+5d+5d) after class_init

(Banshee:5710): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface (AtkTable) to class (__gtksharp_68_Hyena_Data_Gui_Accessibility_ListViewAccessible+601+5b+5bBanshee_Collection_YearInfo+2c+20Banshee_Core+2c+20Version+3d2_6_0_0+2c+20Culture+3dneutral+2c+20PublicKeyToken+3dnull+5d+5d) after class_init

(Banshee:5710): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface (AtkSelection) to class (__gtksharp_74_Hyena_Data_Gui_Accessibility_ListViewAccessible+601+5b+5bBanshee_Collection_AlbumInfo+2c+20Banshee_Core+2c+20Version+3d2_6_0_0+2c+20Culture+3dneutral+2c+20PublicKeyToken+3dnull+5d+5d) after class_init

(Banshee:5710): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface (AtkTable) to class (__gtksharp_74_Hyena_Data_Gui_Accessibility_ListViewAccessible+601+5b+5bBanshee_Collection_AlbumInfo+2c+20Banshee_Core+2c+20Version+3d2_6_0_0+2c+20Culture+3dneutral+2c+20PublicKeyToken+3dnull+5d+5d) after class_init

[info 09:44:42.711] Updating web proxy from GConf

[Warn 09:44:42.782] Caught an exception - System.ApplicationException: No support GNOME Settings Daemon could be reached. (in `Banshee.MultimediaKeys')

at Banshee.MultimediaKeys.MultimediaKeysService.Banshee.ServiceStack.IExtensionService.Initialize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Banshee.ServiceStack.ServiceManager.StartExtension (Mono.Addins.TypeExtensionNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[Warn 09:44:42.782] Extension `Banshee.MultimediaKeys.MultimediaKeysService' not started: No support GNOME Settings Daemon could be reached.

[Warn 09:44:42.832] Caught an exception - System.ApplicationException: No support GNOME Settings Daemon could be reached. (in `Banshee.MultimediaKeys')

at Banshee.MultimediaKeys.MultimediaKeysService.Banshee.ServiceStack.IExtensionService.Initialize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Banshee.ServiceStack.ServiceManager.StartExtension (Mono.Addins.TypeExtensionNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[Warn 09:44:42.832] Extension `Banshee.MultimediaKeys.MultimediaKeysService' not started: No support GNOME Settings Daemon could be reached.

[info 09:44:42.833] All services are started 0.914256

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 142 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 111 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 215 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 216 was not found when attempting to remove it

[info 09:44:43.785] nereid Client Started

[info 09:44:43.842] GStreamer version 1.2.3.0, gapless: True, replaygain: False

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 678 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 665 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 459 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 669 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 531 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 668 was not found when attempting to remove it

[Error 09:44:49.970] GStreamer resource error: NotFound

[Error 09:44:54.612] GStreamer resource error: NotFound

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1398 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1733 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1734 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1735 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 890 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1119 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1399 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1374 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1728 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 899 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 898 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 894 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1732 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1117 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1116 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1731 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1402 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1106 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1370 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1118 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1372 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1367 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1105 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1780 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1778 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1779 was not found when attempting to remove it

[Error 09:45:16.055] GStreamer resource error: NotFound

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2492 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2466 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2462 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2494 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2470 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2493 was not found when attempting to remove it

(Banshee:5710): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2464 was not found when attempting to remove it

Eagle

Hedon James

Well, that's a new one. Do you have "gapless playback" enabled? Seems to have been an issue awhile back, affecting multiple media players, not just Banshee:

https://bugs.launchp...dio/ bug/978604

Do you have other media players installed that you could test whether it's a Banshee problem, versus a system problem? Can you disable "gapless playback" and see if that helps?

**EDIT** added information:

Do you have the wiki enabled in preferences? Disabling the wiki solved this fella's issues:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/394820/banshee-stops-working-after-1-song

Edited by Hedon James
  • Like 1

Since you say it worked for some time, I think you probably have some sort of HDD corruption that is making your song database point to the wrong location on the HDD. I'd run a chdsk on the HDD and then re-install Banshee. Your previous objection to the re-install sounds like it is now a moot point.

• Like 1

I have installed Rhythmbox and Clementine and both work perfect so its Banshee only.

It looks like its a Complete uninstall/install?

Eagle

Looks that way.

BTW I have both Wiki enabled and gapless playback selected and Banshee works fine. I'm using the Cinnamon desktop on LM 17.3

I assume you have all the latest updates from Linux Mint and that you have done a restart.

Hi,

Since you say it worked for some time, I think you probably have some sort of HDD corruption that is making your song database point to the wrong location on the HDD. I'd run a chdsk on the HDD and then re-install Banshee. Your previous objection to the re-install sounds like it is now a moot point.

As far as running chkdsk all else is normal on the HD so maybe not needed?

ramac46

I assume you have all the latest updates from Linux Mint and that you have done a restart.

Yes im up to date. i check every 2 days even if the shield has a green check mark;-). Yes ive done a restart.

securitybreach

That output looks normal so no indication as to what the issue was/is.

Well im going to do a complete uninstall/install if that is the conscientious.

Eagle

securitybreach

Well im going to do a complete uninstall/install if that is the conscientious.

Eagle

I wouldn't that yet as it may not be required. I would troubleshoot some more before blowing it up.

securitybreach

I would troubleshoot some more before blowing it up.

What would you have me do?

raymac46

There are later versions of Banshee you could try. You need to add a PPA though. If the reinstall doesn't fix it you could install a later version - what have you got to lose?. I am not going to try myself as I don't want to break my own system.

The only thing i have to lose is time and right now this is the last free day i have. Tomorrow i fire up my company and start spring leaf cleanups. With the temps hitting near 70 later this week it looks like il be mowing all next week. So time is critical;-(.

Eagle

Hi raymac46

I tried it but nothing happens. I checked and still the same problem;-(.

I believe you all ned an explaination of what has happened since April 5th.

I posted at a site that works with banshee. I had a reply shortly after and did what was asked posting the results then nothing. By niothing i mean no views.

Posted at another site on the 6th and nothing.

Last night in an email to Corrine i told her my problem with banshee and she recommended this site which i registerd at today;-).

So i wasted 5 days waiting for help.

today you all were on it from the get go and i appreciate that very much.

Im contracted for 44 lawns this season but because of the crazy spring we have had i havent been able to do any cleanups till tomorrow.

My lawns are not what are called "postage stamp lawns". Those are the lawns that it takes longer to unload the rider than to mow. The vast majority of my lawns are measured by acres.

I will be doing cleanups from 8am till dark this time of the year so weekdays to work on anything other than lawns is out.

Saturday ill be doing my country lawns which are dump on the property generally in the woods so i dont depend on the dump to be open which closes at noon;-(

Sunday ill pack up the equipment i need and the dog in the SUV, drive to the southern part of the state and compete in stress agility field trials. This will be an all day event which means it will be dark 30 before im back home.

Here are 2 videos that will give you an idea of what i and Mia will be doing although not all of the obsticles.

The first is a guy putting his dog through the "motions" at his place to keep his dog ready to compete.

The second video shows some of the actual obsticles Mia will be going over and through although again it doesnt show all.

So time is truly critical for me. However i can wait till the Saturady afternoon of the 23rd if needed.

Eagle

• Like 1