Adam's New Laptop

ross549

Well, it has been mentioned in another thread that I was looking at a laptop. I finally came into some money on Friday, and found a great deal on an Averatec 3250. So far it works well with linux, with a couple noteable exceptions.First, the S3 Unichrome graphics cause X to crash. I am now using the framebuffer driver, which seems to work well. There is a Sourceforge project for the Unichrome graphics x driver, but I am not sure if I want to tackle that at this point since the framebuffer driver seems to be working fine. Is there a benefit to using a specific driver instead of framebuffer? Secondly, wireless does not work.... big surprise. Wireless is on my back burner right now.Third, ACPI. My fan runs all the time. I have no idea how to make it slow down, as it does in Windows.Fourth, USB. I am not sure what is happeneing there. In any case, I cannot access my USB memory sticks at all.I think that is it for now...... I will do a follow-up post for number 4.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ross549

• Bruno

• teacher

• ikerekes

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, this is what I am getting during boot up:

Apr  1 10:07:05 localhost mount: mount: mount point /proc/bus/usb does not exist

Now, when I modprobe usb-storagefrom the command line, I get no errors, but dmesg shows nothing. Where do I start?

There is a special version of the ndiswrapper.ko.gz file that you need to make ndiswrapper work now in Mandrake or PCLos. It is located here. Good luck.

v[root@localhost adam]# modprobe ndiswrapperFATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk/kernel/3rdparty/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko.gz): Operation not permitted

This is with the new file that you linked. :lol:

I was afraid of that. That is suppose to work. Tex indicated it should. He also suggested modprobe -a. I will tell you that after I did that I continued to hose my system. Did you consider trying Suse?

00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6202 [USB 2.0 controller] (rev80)00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6202 [USB 2.0 controller] (rev80)00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6202 [USB 2.0 controller] (rev80)00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)

usb-uhci        : VIA Technologies|VT82C586B USB [SERIAL_USB]usb-uhci        : VIA Technologies|VT82C586B USB [SERIAL_USB]usb-uhci        : VIA Technologies|VT82C586B USB [SERIAL_USB]ehci-hcd        : VIA Technologies Inc|VT8235 USB Enhanced Controller [SERIAL_USB]

Here are my USB controllers......

Edited by ross549

Many thanks to ikereks, who pointed out in IRC that I should change acpi=ht to acpi=on. The fans have slowed!

00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6202 [USB 2.0 controller] (rev80)00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6202 [USB 2.0 controller] (rev80)00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6202 [USB 2.0 controller] (rev80)00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)

usb-uhci        : VIA Technologies|VT82C586B USB [SERIAL_USB]usb-uhci        : VIA Technologies|VT82C586B USB [SERIAL_USB]usb-uhci        : VIA Technologies|VT82C586B USB [SERIAL_USB]ehci-hcd        : VIA Technologies Inc|VT8235 USB Enhanced Controller [SERIAL_USB]

Here are my USB controllers......

Ugh! Methinks the Linux kernel hates the VIA USB controller. It likes Intel, though! Is this an AMD CPU notebook?

Yep, it is there. :)I will be trying the p81a version of pclos, since it has the newer kernel. Maybe things will be different. Thanks for the tip on that, ikerekes. :D

ikerekes, the p81a results in no change. :(EDIT: fat fingers......

Edited by ross549

Hi AdamDid you get all the updates ? There are a few for hardware detection, hal and hotplug maybe that will cure the USB issue . . :D Bruno

Well, I would like to report partial success! :)With some help from LilBambi's husband Jim (Thanks, Jim!), we checked the output of /var/log/messages when I plugged the usb memory key in. Surprise, surprise, nothing happened. We checked the output of lsmod for anything related to usb. Nothing :(Well, after modprobe usbcore and usb-uhci, it is up and running! :w00t:Now the question is- why are these modules not loading on bootup, and what about the message:

Apr  1 10:07:05 localhost mount: mount: mount point /proc/bus/usb does not exist

Well, setting hotplug to start on boot now shows usbcore starting at boot (using lsmod), but no other changes. I still get the error, and I still must manually load usb-uhci. B)

I suspect you need another update of udev . . . but until then put the modprobe for the USB in /etc/rc.d/rc.local so you do not have to give that command after every reboot ;)Just put a line at the bottom of the fileB) Bruno

I am fully up to date.........Well, adding the line did the trick, but I am still getting the message on bootup. Any ideas? :)Adam

Edited by ross549

But..... but but but but but..... I CAN"T! :lol:I just can't let my beautiful new laptop be spoiled with the red FAILED coming up during boot. I am going to e-mail the PCLos mailing list... maybe they can give me some ideas..... What does it do anyway? :PAdam

What does it do anyway? B)

Well I think it tries to load the USB to early and that if the initscritps would load the USB modules a tiny bit later in the process you would not get that error and would not need that line in rc.local . . . . Now you can try to puzzle when the USB gets loaded and change the S-Number to a higher value so the script to load it runs a few seconds later . . . . . but remember then that if you get the message OK instead of FAILED . . .you have to remove the line in rc.local because it will then do just the opposite ( remove the module ) . . . . . . get it ? B) Bruno

Interesting... I like a good challenge! :)However, the message stems from the system attempting to load this from the fstab:

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0

which really confuses me, because I have no idea why it is there. B)

Yep I have that line in PCLos too . . . . . . and only in PCLos . . . . have been wondering about that one as well . . ;)Anyway if it comes from that angle . . maybe the init scipts are not to blame but udev is ( like I initially thought ) . . and that makes it the more complicated ;)B) Bruno