First post from LFS

Bruno

Here is my first message posted from LFS ( Linux From Scratch ) . . . . ;)After about a week of building the base system from the LFS book, booting up was a thrill . . . but then yesterday I added the DHCP scripts and DHCPCD software ( book 2: BLFS ) and today my all time favorite Links Browser . . . and here I am in pure state of bliss and pround as a little boy who made his first home-run . . . . still can't believe it . . . . ;) :DB) Bruno

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• teacher

• BarryB

• Owyn

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LilBambi

Awesome! Way to go Bruno! :devil: Jim's reading up on that one now! He want to do that one too! He's doing his reading now, he just started yesterday by downloading the manual. LOL! ;)

Hi Fran . . . this was such fun . . . did a bit every day, because it was a lot of work . . . . but the simle on my face grew bigger every day !One thing though: they send you to Freshmeat for the packages and patches, a lot of searching you have to do there to get the right package. I found a special FTP site where all the packages and patches are nicely put in one directory, tell Jim to go there, so much easier, sure if you´re on dial-up :devil: :ftp://gaosu.rave.org/pub/linux/lfs/packages/5.0 ( Just saw that one directory down they recently added a .tar.gz with all of them in one bundle 124 MB );) BrunoPS: Thanks Quit !! Nice fireworks !Added later because of question later in thread: Book 1: http://www.nl.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/dow....0-HTML.tar.bz2Book 2: http://www.nl.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/do....0-HTML.tar.bz2

Edited by Bruno

No Julia . . . . LFS is a base system, has all the tools but no GUI . . no X . . . that is in book 2 . . . . and still a few weeks to go !First I have to recompile the kernel for ext3 support and a few more things . . . I now have a supersmall kernel ( 2.4.22 ) only included the modules for the soundcard and the NIC I have . . left all the rest out, only what was stricktly needed, slick and light ! ( recompiled it 3 times to slim it even more down :) )First I need a break . . then when my head is clear and calm again I will add X and Fluxbox . . Maybe ICEwm too . . and then it´s time for Evolution and Galeon . . . :) Bruno

I´m sure he will have a good time ! It´s great fun !( the 124 MB tar.gz I wrote about is complete . . just downloaded and checked it ):) Bruno

Just take your time Quint . . . don´t rush and follow the manual . . . . . I´m sure you will be alright !Good luck my friend !:) Bruno

Thanks Nathan . . . . I think you will find LFS 5.0 much easier . . just make some time this winter, the days are short, the nights are long . . sure you can handle this. :):) Bruno

Happy to see I woke up a few people around here . . . . come on Jason, sure there is a few GB space on that HD of yours . . . or do like me get an old small 2nd HD for it . . . :) Bruno

Thanks OwynLFS takes about 450 MB now, that´s included the extra packages ( from book 2 ) for DHCP and 3 text-based browsers I installed: Lynx, Links and w3m . . . But you do need about 2.5 G to build it . . the /sources ( Packages, extra kernel sources ) are 1 G and the /tools another 150 MB, but they could be thrown out after the setup.I did it on a 2nd HD of 5 G so had space enough to keep the sources around till the end, just to be sure. ;)Boots in 10 secondsB) Bruno

Bruno geting the package...Like Qunit..May be going in over my head...But that's never stopped me before :lol: ...hate to start a new trend :P ...Thinking about the 2nd SCSI on the Dell, Think that would be any big problem?...have RH on 1st scsi ..Soon to be drake..(Don't know what it is with RH and me)And CONGRATS!!!!! very impressive..did my first scan through the doc..head hurts bad...

Bruno, I'm impressed! I read the LFS manual couple of months ago. It was way over my head, I didn't even understand the examples. :lol: It will be a while (a long while) before I could even think of doing it.

Come on guys . . . it really is not that hard, just follow the instructions to the dot . . . . :):) Bruno
Bruno,That's a challenge! I will be tackling it soon enough when I clear my plate of a few other issues. :o

I'll have to work on this between Turkey Day and New Years. Umm, one small detail I'm missing, saw the links for the files that I presume are source files from the way you're talking. :D Where are these manuals you speak of? :D :lol: Anything else I'm missing? :D

Peachy . . nice to see that I still can get everybody hyped about a new distro . . . . have fun and good luck !Stryder . . . you´re too kind ! :D :DB) Bruno

Hi Tecky . . Dangerous ?? . . . Just keeping the fire burning . . . Linux is a passion !Here are the links:For LFS book in several formats ( book 1): http://www.nl.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/dow...wnloads/stable/IMO easiest format: http://www.nl.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/dow....0-HTML.tar.bz2For BLFS book ( Beyond LFS, book 2 ): http://www.nl.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/do...wnloads/stable/Easy format: http://www.nl.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/do....0-HTML.tar.bz2Again the mirror ( just to be complete ): ftp://gaosu.rave.org/pub/linux/lfs/packages/5.0BLFS has clickable links directly to the files you want . . . you won´t want them all . . . :D:D Bruno* Sorry all Dutch mirrors . . . .

That waddling penquin with the sun glasses is dangerous in how he drags people in isn't he?  :P
Glad to see someone else notices how sly he can be! :lol: :P

UPDATE:I´ve got X !!! The GUI is there !! And fluxbox installed and working with in the menu so far: Xterm, Xclock, Xcalc, a CPU meter, the Dillo-browser . . lightning fast ( much faster then Firebird ) and . . . . The Gimp !! All in good working order and onlu 570 MB so far. Had to install 20 - 30 extra libraries, general and graphic though . . Still planning: OpenOffice and Galeon . . . . . the last one complains about missing libstdc++ and libc6.2-2.s.o.3 . . . . but I will dig up the package that includes those . . .:thumbsup: . . After that it will be the sound section to attack !The distro is lightning fast . . immediate response . . looks like it´s running kernel 2.9.22 . . much faster the 2.6 on the same machine ! . . . of course I had to recompile the 2.4.22 kernel a good few times before getting there . . . :D :DB) Bruno