Forums

1. The Highlands

1. Announcements

General announcements of note for all forum members.

The place to free your mind and explore Linux, which for many, isn't an "alternative" operating system — it's their only OS.

Topics related to Windows, Microsoft, help with Windows, techniques, performance, betas, all types of Applications, Windows news, Windows server OSes, the future of operating systems, and more.

Topics and discussions related to Apple, Macintosh hardware and accessories, OS X, Classic, iTunes / iTMS (Mac & PC), mainstream Mac software, and more.

Exploring CPUs, motherboards, overclocking, building your own PC, case mods, PC brands, handhelds, peripherals of all types, DVDs, CD burners, hardware-specific software, device drivers, and anything else related to hardware.

Topics related to ANY AND ALL Mobile Platforms, Mobile Devices, Mobile Operating Systems, Mobile Apps, and more.

Protecting PCs from attack, networking, network hardware, remote access, sharing broadband, different broadband technologies, network troubleshooting, spam, encryption, firewalls, and more.

Social Media will cover all topics related to Social Media, Web 2.0, browsers and web applications, email, and more.

9. The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe

The The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe, previously known as The Water Cooler, is a place to post stuff that has absolutely nothing at all to do with computers, broadband, Scot's Newsletter, or anything that's "supposed" to be here.

Forum-Related Feedback Only, Please: Bugs, problems, forum software, skins, graphics, webhost, stuff we're testing, suggestions, and more. NOTE: Testing Subforum is under the Forum Feedback forum.

• raymac46
      I didn't bother cloning the old drive since I intended to reinstall a new system anyway. The data I wanted was mostly a backup for my photos which was on a portable drive so I just installed the new O/S and copied the photos back. Most of my stuff is too old for M.2 but the standard SATA3 2.5 inch SSD are fine.
    • sunrat
      HDDs are unbelievably rubbish at random reads and writes. Your NVMe drive is impressive. I was considering one during my recent SSD upgrade but they were twice the price of the M2 SATA I ended up with and its performance is totally satisfactory.
    • abarbarian
      My pc running Arch has been working perfectly normally for quite some time now and has no problems that I know of.   I have spent the last three days messing around with external drives and Luckybackup, grsync and rsync. Found all sorts of weird and wonderful glitches and problems and had quite a bit of fun sorting and learning about the inner workings of linux.   I use a Star Tech external usb3 dock that allows me to slot in two sata drives. My Arch set up finds these drives and automounts them to /run/media/me/whatever the drive is called.   The external drives have all been wiped and formated to GPT with one ext4 partition.   Puzzle one.   Yesterday I made a backup of my /home to an external drive using rsync. Everything seemed to be ok.The backup folder contents were as expected. My xterm terminal worked as normal. I shut down the external drive after unmounting it. I left the pc running as I crunch for the World Community Grid.  Opened up a terminal this morning and got this,     This appeared at the beginning of the terminal.   I wanted to do, source ~/.bashrc but got this and keep on getting the same message every time I try to use it. >source ~/.bashrc -bash: This: command not found I tried out several other commands and they all seem to work ok as you can see from the screenshot. All new terminal show that same "-bash: This: command not found" and every time I try the "source ~/.bashrc" command I get the warning. "source ~/.bashrc" worked perfectly last night as I made a new alias and tried it out and all worked as normal.   What is going on ? 🙄    
    • abarbarian
    • abarbarian
      https://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/2014/164/Migrating-to-an-SSD/(offset)/6   I fully agree with Josh.   Mind you if you are happy sitting waiting for games to load up slowly then why not. Me if i die, and I do often, then I like to get back up and at em as soon as possible. 🤣   With Clonzilla or rsync you should be able to swap over drives in less than a couple of hours, an that includes time for tea and scones. I have used both methods in the past with no problems. I am going to give FSArchiver a run soon just for kicks.   😎   Ha ha, remembered that I had posted some benchmarks of my Skylake build over on another place. Bear in mind this was five years ago.     My Samsung SP951 nvme drive results plus I added the results from a Crucial MX200 ssd and a Patriot USB 3 stick both running on the new rig just for a bit of fun. You will notice that my Patriot USB3 stick is just a tad slower than the WD drive in the other screenshot  
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• zlim
  • Today's Birthdays

1. dicknite
      dicknite
      (64 years old)
    2. MikeHerIA62
      MikeHerIA62
      (78 years old)
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online