Forums

1. The Highlands

1. Announcements

General announcements of note for all forum members.

The place to free your mind and explore Linux, which for many, isn't an "alternative" operating system — it's their only OS.

Topics related to Windows, Microsoft, help with Windows, techniques, performance, betas, all types of Applications, Windows news, Windows server OSes, the future of operating systems, and more.

Topics and discussions related to Apple, Macintosh hardware and accessories, OS X, Classic, iTunes / iTMS (Mac & PC), mainstream Mac software, and more.

Exploring CPUs, motherboards, overclocking, building your own PC, case mods, PC brands, handhelds, peripherals of all types, DVDs, CD burners, hardware-specific software, device drivers, and anything else related to hardware.

Topics related to ANY AND ALL Mobile Platforms, Mobile Devices, Mobile Operating Systems, Mobile Apps, and more.

Protecting PCs from attack, networking, network hardware, remote access, sharing broadband, different broadband technologies, network troubleshooting, spam, encryption, firewalls, and more.

Social Media will cover all topics related to Social Media, Web 2.0, browsers and web applications, email, and more.

9. The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe

The The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe, previously known as The Water Cooler, is a place to post stuff that has absolutely nothing at all to do with computers, broadband, Scot's Newsletter, or anything that's "supposed" to be here.

Forum-Related Feedback Only, Please: Bugs, problems, forum software, skins, graphics, webhost, stuff we're testing, suggestions, and more. NOTE: Testing Subforum is under the Forum Feedback forum.

• securitybreach
      Very cool. I didn't know that it had a touchscreen. Nice that it worked out of the box too. I have yet to have a laptop with a touchscreen. Mostly because I wouldn't really have much of a use for one and most of the ones that I see have a display like a mirror. I have looked at the Yoga series in the past but never pulled the trigger. Thanks for confirming that they are nice little linux machines.
    • sunrat
      Just about have this notebook how I want it now. Touchpad tap working, wifi working, conky set up, Firefox synced. All the hardware worked out of the box so far including the touch screen. Helps to use the non-free firmware version of Debian netinstall iso. I even worked out that kdeconnect will work between any 2 devices on a network, not just phone and computer. Pretty neat and very handy for this setup. This thing has almost never been used and looks brand new. I checked with smartctl and the system drive shows only 1142 power-on hours. I was pretty happy when i managed to install Debian on this without much fuss, now I'm really impressed! 😎 roger@yoga-brain:~$ inxi -Fz System:   Host: yoga-brain Kernel: 4.19.0-8-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64   Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.14.5 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) Machine:   Type: Convertible System: LENOVO product: 20G80001AU   v: ThinkPad Yoga 11e 3rd Gen serial: <filter>   Mobo: LENOVO model: Intel powered classmate PC v: SDK0J40700 WIN   serial: <filter> UEFI: LENOVO v: R0AET37W (1.20) date: 01/19/2018 Battery:   ID-1: BAT1 charge: 41.7 Wh condition: 41.7/42.0 Wh (99%) CPU:   Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Celeron N3150 bits: 64 type: MCP   L2 cache: 1024 KiB   Speed: 1011 MHz min/max: 480/2080 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 625 2: 976 3: 936   4: 1102 Graphics:   Device-1: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx   Integrated Graphics   driver: i915 v: kernel   Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa   resolution: 1366x768~60Hz   OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 400 (Braswell)   v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.6 Audio:   Device-1: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series   High Definition Audio   driver: snd_hda_intel   Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-8-amd64 Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet   driver: r8169   IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>   Device-2: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi   IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter> Drives:   Local Storage: total: 119.24 GiB used: 5.79 GiB (4.9%)   ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: MZNTY128HDHP-000L1 size: 119.24 GiB Partition:   ID-1: / size: 56.59 GiB used: 5.76 GiB (10.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5   ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.14 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6 Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 38.0 C mobo: N/A   Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 Info:   Processes: 159 Uptime: 45m Memory: 3.68 GiB used: 971.5 MiB (25.8%)   Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.32
    • sunrat
      See this beautiful lady?   This is Austrian-American actress, Hedy Lamarr, recognised as one of the most beautiful, sensual women in Hollywood during the ’30s & ’40s, during Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's “golden age” of cinema. What many won't know, is that she basically invented the technology we use today for GPS, Bluetooth & Wi-Fi. It's a pity that history remembers her for her looks, rather than her intellect. But why is that so? Back in the ’40s, Lamarr recognised the flaw in radio-controlled torpedoes and how they could be easily jammed. Together with her friend George Antheil, she developed a “secret communication system” for war-time use. She created a “frequency hopping” signal as a way to guide radio-controlled missiles without any detection, which would effectively counter any attempts by the Nazis to jam or track their signals. On June 10, 1941, the duo submitted their patent. US Patent No. 2,292,387 was subsequently granted on August 11, 1942 for their early work on spread spectrum technology. But since the military wasn’t too keen on receiving help from civilians, and because this technology was way ahead of its time, they chose to overlook her work entirely. Lamarr's technology was eventually implemented in naval ships in the ’60s, but up until her passing in 2000, she didn't earn a single cent from her pioneering concept. This was because her patent had expired in 1959, and yet the idea was still utilised in the development of a new secure military communications system found on ships sent to the Cuban blockade in 1962. That may have been an oversight on her part, but to think that the world failed to acknowledge her for her contributions for so long is deeply saddening. It wasn't until 1997 when she was presented with two awards by the Electronic Frontier Foundation did she finally gain recognition, though she had already turned 82 by then.   ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- They didn't have FOSS in 1942 but as the patents expired and she was awarded by the EFF, I reckon this article can squeeze in this topic. Unashamedly copy/pasted from Quora.
    • sunrat
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Debian Security Advisory DSA-4634-1 security@debian.org https://www.debian.org/security/ Moritz Muehlenhoff February 26, 2020 https://www.debian.org/security/faq - ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Package : opensmtpd CVE ID : CVE-2020-8794 Debian Bug : 952453 Qualys discovered that the OpenSMTPD SMTP server performed insufficient validation of SMTP commands, which could result in local privilege escalation or the execution of arbitrary code. For the oldstable distribution (stretch), this problem has been fixed in version 6.0.2p1-2+deb9u3. For the stable distribution (buster), this problem has been fixed in version 6.0.3p1-5+deb10u4.   - ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Debian Security Advisory DSA-4635-1 security@debian.org https://www.debian.org/security/ Salvatore Bonaccorso February 26, 2020 https://www.debian.org/security/faq - ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Package : proftpd-dfsg CVE ID : CVE-2020-9273 Debian Bug : 951800 Antonio Morales discovered an user-after-free flaw in the memory pool allocator in ProFTPD, a powerful modular FTP/SFTP/FTPS server. Interrupting current data transfers can corrupt the ProFTPD memory pool, leading to denial of service, or potentially the execution of arbitrary code. For the oldstable distribution (stretch), this problem has been fixed in version 1.3.5b-4+deb9u4. For the stable distribution (buster), this problem has been fixed in version 1.3.6-4+deb10u4.
    • securitybreach
      Not at all. It takes more than that
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• securitybreach
  • Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

KJ-Kaz
    Newest Member
    KJ-Kaz