Forums

1. The Highlands

1. Announcements

General announcements of note for all forum members.

The place to free your mind and explore Linux, which for many, isn't an "alternative" operating system — it's their only OS.

Topics related to Windows, Microsoft, help with Windows, techniques, performance, betas, all types of Applications, Windows news, Windows server OSes, the future of operating systems, and more.

Topics and discussions related to Apple, Macintosh hardware and accessories, OS X, Classic, iTunes / iTMS (Mac & PC), mainstream Mac software, and more.

Exploring CPUs, motherboards, overclocking, building your own PC, case mods, PC brands, handhelds, peripherals of all types, DVDs, CD burners, hardware-specific software, device drivers, and anything else related to hardware.

Topics related to ANY AND ALL Mobile Platforms, Mobile Devices, Mobile Operating Systems, Mobile Apps, and more.

Protecting PCs from attack, networking, network hardware, remote access, sharing broadband, different broadband technologies, network troubleshooting, spam, encryption, firewalls, and more.

Social Media will cover all topics related to Social Media, Web 2.0, browsers and web applications, email, and more.

9. The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe

The The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe, previously known as The Water Cooler, is a place to post stuff that has absolutely nothing at all to do with computers, broadband, Scot's Newsletter, or anything that's "supposed" to be here.

Forum-Related Feedback Only, Please: Bugs, problems, forum software, skins, graphics, webhost, stuff we're testing, suggestions, and more. NOTE: Testing Subforum is under the Forum Feedback forum.

• sunrat
      For some reason I haven't discovered yet, last night full-upgrade of siduction caused networking to fail. It seems to connect to the router but DNS is not working. Probably my fault. I broke PulseAudio last week but fixed that. I've been threatening myself for several years to try running Debian Stable instead but always found a reason to stick with siduction. You know, just one last application that's not available in Stable yet. But this might be it. I can't think of anything I use that's not in Buster. So I've set up Firefox, created a Firefox account so I can Sync with the other system that still currently has siduction, and am now posting from Buster! Now to get Thunderbird set up and hopefully I can just copy over the profile. This will be hard as I've used siduction/aptosid/sidux for at least twelve years. The current install is 3 years old and has suffered much tweaking, not all of it good. I hope I will enjoy leaving the life of eternal upgrades behind.
    • ebrke
      Looks good, but I have one question. What exactly does +1 mean as opposed to Agree?   Also, I thought I posted yesterday saying I was in favor of an Agree emoticon, but something happened and my comment was still in the reply window when I signed in today. Maybe I didn't click Submit or something.
    • V.T. Eric Layton
      COOL!   I solved my VM issues years ago by deciding to never do anything VM on my machines. Worked like a champ!
    • Hedon James
      I think I solved my WinXP VM issue.  Solution found here:   http://slashsda.blogspot.com/2012/03/migrate-from-virtualbox-to-kvm.html   I only had to install the "patch", from within VB, and attached the WinXP.vmdk disk to a VMM-created VM.  Booted up as expected, and everything seems to be working fine.  Had to "reactivate" due to the significant hardware change, but it's WinXP and it's just going through the motions, I think.  Activation successful!  Now to figure out how to duplicate VBs "internal network only" functionality and get this VM off the internet!  LOL.   As a side note, I've wasted numerous man hours converted vmdk and vdi formats to qcow2, before failing.  I thought I had to convert *vmdk and *vdi images to native qcow2 format, but turns out qemu reads those formats just fine, as well as others.  Right now, VMM is reading & writing to the disk in vmdk format.  Nevertheless, once I'm 100% satisfied, I'll probably convert to qemu's native qcow2 format to avoid any future unforseeable issues.  Until then, seems like verifying that VMM boots a vmdk or vdi image is a real time saver before converting.  FWIW...   Stay tuned for Win7 and Win10 VMs.  Looks like a completely different solution, involving virtio drivers and a virtio.iso image.  On to the next one!   Edit #2:  spoke too soon.  had to do the "patch" AND the Hiren's boot Cd fix HDD controller, AND the suggested registry hack.  WinXP is booting again, but insists on looking for drivers for newly found hardware (qemu hw vs. VB hardware).  Hoping the virtio drivers iso image will fix that, but at least it's working again (for now)!
    • V.T. Eric Layton
      Yes, you're using the dark mode and also a different View method than I'm using. Looks good, though.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• sunrat
    • Robert
  • Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Bookmem
    Newest Member
    Bookmem