Sabayon Linux 3.0 RC 2 is Out

havnblast

August 15th, 2006 - The Internet:The World's first and fastest Gentoo Linux powered distribution now changes its name. A change of style and unification for the RR4/RR64 Linux projects. Our mission is simple: making things that just work, using one of the most scalable Operating System.NEW FEATURES: * New SabayonLinux branding and theming (for GNOME, KDE and XGL/cgwd) * Desktop Wallpaper copyright by Tigaer Design * New SabayonLinux Installer (based on Anaconda Installer from FC5, boot with "gentoo installer-gui" to directly start the Graphical Installation and "console installer-text" for the Text-based Installation) * Media Center functionalities (Run Freevo automagically using "mediacenter" kernel and GeeXbox using "geexbox" kernel) * Complete support (except DRI for now on Intel based video cards) for Intel Macs on the Live system (no installation support yet) * ColdWar Demo (the fastest way to try ColdWar on a GNU/Linux system) just boot using "coldwar" or "coldwarsmp" * Linux kernel 2.6.17.8 (genpatches 6) and a highly improved Hardware detection * Latest ATI 8.27.10 video drivers with improved XGL support * Packages based sporting GCC 4.1 optimizations * Complete LVM2 and software RAID support on the Installer * KDE 3.5.4, GNOME 2.12.3, XFCE 4.2.3, Fluxbox 1.0RC1, Enlightenment 16 * Skype 1.3 ! (finally) * Complete Gstreamer 0.10 support * Network Manager and KNetworkManager integration * Complete and enhanced Localization support on both Live and installed system * New SabayonLinux Portage overlay management * New session= boot option for x86-64 (session=kde, session=xfce, session=fluxbox, session=gnome, session=e16 to autologin into a specific desktop) * New opengl= boot option for x86-64 (available options: xorg-x11,nvidia,ati) * Added xdriver= boot option to force X.Org to use a specific video driver * Added sound=mute to disable the automatic sound mixer configuration * Added Tor/Privoxy support to x86-64 (to enable TOR just add "tor" at the ISOLINUX prompt) * Optimized memory consumption (reduced the memory requirement from 18Mb)Bug fixes, important updates and new applications (for a complete list of the packages, see below): * Portage Snapshot from 02 August 2006 * New SabayonLinux overlay (http://svn.sabayonlinuxdev.com) * Updated NetworkManager to 0.6.4 * Changed default CFLAGS on SL x86-64 to get everything compile correctly (x86-64) * Updated GRUB with SabayonLinux theme * kdelibs now compiled with ACL support * Updated rt2570 driver to a working CVS snapshot * Removed compiz-vanilla and added compiz-quinnstorm * Compiz now uses cgwd and its themes * Updated gnash to 0.7.1_p20060704 on x86-64 * Updated Amarok to 1.4.2_beta1 * Updated Kuroo to 0.80.2 * Updated Opera to 9.0 * Updated ALSA to 1.0.12_rc1 * Updated aMule to 2.1.3 * Updated WINE to 0.9.18 on x86 * Updated ATI Drivers to 8.27.10 * Updated Inkscape to 0.44 * Updated Azureus to 2.4.0.2 * Updated CUPS to 1.2.2 * Updated OpenOffice to 2.0.3 * Changed NetworkManager and kNetworkManager policy to use plugdev group * KDE Language configuration now configure the root user too * Changed the hostname to sabayonx86 and sabayonx86-64 * Changed the Primary User to sabayonuser (on the LIVE System just press Enter on the Login screen) * Updated to sys-fs/ntfsprogs-1.13.1 with fuse enabled (Read/Write NTFS is now possible) * Unified the GNOME and KDE Update Installer Icon * Mozilla Firefox and OpenOffice now have the chosen localization (if the Language Pack is available) * Improved Intel video card auto detection (i945 and i845 are now automatically configured) * Changed Default GTK icons theme to Tango * Disabled SSH root login by default * Disabled Option DPMS in xorg.conf * Removed problematic progsreiserfs * Correctly masked all X.Org 7.1 * fixed X.Org Cirrus driver on x86 * removed problematic kdelibs pertty patches on x86-64 * removed buggy confcache on x86 * Added ManDVD 2.0.9 * Added Kmldonkey 0.10.1 * Added Firestarter 1.0.3 to x86-64 * Added ekiga 2.0.2 and asterisk 1.2.9_p1 * Added kmyfirewall 1.0.1 * Added Google Earth Beta4 to x86-64 * Added pine to x86-64 * Added knock to x86-64 * Added /usr/share/sounds/sabayonlinux_startup.ogg as startup sound (sweet! thanks kde-apps.org) * Added Basket 0.5 * Added unionfs 1.3 support to x86 * Added module-rebuild to x86-64 * Added rt61 wireless driver * Added ATM support to ppp utility * Added br2684ctl driver * Added ueagle-atm driver * Added acx driver to x86IMPORTANT NOTES: * This distribution contains libdvdcss look here if you live in the U.S. !. * This distribution contains proprietary and non-GPL softwares too (like from NVIDIA, ATI, Google, etc). Before running them, be sure to read their license and agree with that, otherwise, just remove those applications. To run SabayonLinux without Proprietary drivers, just use "noproprietary" boot flag. * Reiser4 is disabled on the Installer (to enabled it just add "reiser4" to your boot options) - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! * When you exit ColdWar (if you boot with "coldwar" and "coldwarsmp") the System will shut down automatically. * Trademarks are property of their respective owners, everywhere.Seeds are few, but getting there:SabayonLinux x86 3.0RC2 Torrent downloadSabayonLinux x86-64 3.0RC2 Torrent downloadFTPs are available but overwhelmed at the momentSabayonLinux-x86-3.0RC2f.isoSabayonLinux-x86_64-3.0RC2a.isoMD5sSabayonLinux-x86-3.0RC2f.iso.md5SabayonLinux-x86_64-3.0RC2a.iso.md5Other InfoComplete AnnouncementScreenShotsSupport ForumI have the 64 bit version as of right now and the hardware detection set everything up. f you want to try gentoo without the hassels - give it a whirl :)

I have a 64 bit HP, but I downloaded the 32 bit version. It tooke me two days to download it from bit-torrent. When I ran it, it couldn't find my wireless Broadcom card. Most applications that I started, ended up freezing the keyboard, solid. So, for this laptop machine, this program is not ready for prime time. Someday I might find one that will totally function without errors in this machine.

bummer - have you tried looking at the forum they have for a solution. It may just need a simple boot parameter or something.Yes, they were not expecting such popularity and they kinda got caught with their pants down on a way to distribute the distro. I have the 64bit distro seeding day and night here. I think that one downloads a little faster. I got mine off the FTP site when it first went up so I had it in a couple hours.This is a perfect example of using bittorrent for the good. I have helped at least 7 people to be able to download this distro and I'm still seeding.They have gotten people to volunteer FTP usage for the final version release. So that should help, but we still need seeders.

I tried downloading it via Azureus a few nights ago and it was going to take a week, than several days and at the end something like 2 days and a bit more ( just like onederer ) but then I tried again tonight and started it around midnight EST and it should be downloaded in about 2.5 hours give and take 30 min. I have 31 seeds and 19 peers. So it's not so bad! Kelly is right onedere. Try some cheatcode ( He calls them bootparameters ). When I have my DVD burnt I'll see if I can be of some help.

I tried downloading it via Azureus a few nights ago and it was going to take a week, than several days and at the end something like 2 days and a bit more ( just like onederer ) but then I tried again tonight and started it around midnight EST and it should be downloaded in about 2.5 hours give and take 30 min. I have 31 seeds and 19 peers. So it's not so bad! Kelly is right onedere. Try some cheatcode ( He calls them bootparameters ). When I have my DVD burnt I'll see if I can be of some help.
:hmm: I'd be interested in knowing how it goes for you. I haven't tried the 32 bit version, but I use to run the RC 1 32bit version without problems.I know when it goes final it should have an improved hardware detection as bugs are being noted and fixed. They have been getting a great response from users - reporting bugs. I plugged in my digital camera to get some pictures off it on Sunday and for the first time ever I got a dialog box that popped up and asked me what I wanted to do. I've always had to go in and mount the camera first to get my pics.The chroot 32 bit environment is on the 64 bit distro to allow 32 bit stuff work. I'm not having much luck with this for streaming some videos, but flash is working. It's definately worth a try for those interested in Gentoo. Once installed you can jump in and start using emerge. Later versions of Sabayon Linux is gonna include the 3 different stages aka the tar ball stages of gentoo. Right now the only way the anaconda installer works is with a DVD to Hard Drive install. Once installed you may recompile the kernel and tailor it to your system, but I haven't seen the need to do that. If you need a driver or something than I could see where people may need to recompile.

For the longest time, I've always wanted to use Gentoo, but without the pain and compilation. My past efforts brought no joy in trying Gentoo. I thought that this distro would offer me what I was looking for, for a change. And as you suggested, I had tried the "cheat codes", but it seems that when I tried them, the applications would freeze the keyboard that much faster, than when I started the live dvd with no selections. Because of the freeze-ups I gave up and didn't try to get the OS to use ndiswrapper to see if my Broadcom wireless board could be found. However I did find that it was nice that it allowed me to use the wireless mouse and keyboard, whereas other distros didn't even allow me that privilige.Thanks for the feedback.Cheers!

Hi all!Can the DVD be used as a live-DVD? When I went to bed last night there was less than 30 min left to download in Azureus.When I checked it this morning it had finished downloading. The md5sum looked good so I burnt it on a DVD-RW in Nero on my wife's Win XP. The burning supposely went well.Now it seems that when I boot (using whatever boot parameters ) I get a "boot failed please press any key" (which key is the anykey? lol). Seriously I just had a look at the DVD and I see a livecd file so I will try booting with this parameter next.

Thanks Kelly!I am replying from it now, from our XP machine (only 1Ghz and 512 Mb of Ram ) but it is impressive. Slow to boot in but now it is responding somewhat adequately.I had to make a new burnt using a DVD-R and a lower speed because the first burnt didn't work on the XP machine either. I cannot wait to try it on my Linux box tomorrow.as I said; So far so good. It might replace my Slackware or Zenwalk partition ( unless I get the courage to resize the 40 Gb SuSE 10.1 retail from 40 Gb to something like 20 Gb and then have room for 2 or 4 more distros, heh, heh ).

yea the bootup isn't the fastest in the west, but it's not the slowest either. I know PCLinuxOS takes about as long to boot up. Livecds are always gonna run a bit slower.I believe a mini-release is coming up, but the problem they are facing now is servers to host the distro. I know they are in the works of getting some so when the finale comes out it will be easier to download.

Works fine on the XP machine but when I boot it into the Linux box AMD 2000+ it opens alright and the first time I was able to open the K startup button and see all that's in it but then and since when I try to click on something ( either in KDE or Gnome ) nothing happens or it crashes ( although the cursor is still moving ). Any suggestion anyone? Will keep on playing with the bootparameters in the meantime.

hmmm have not seen any reports of that happeningX is crashing out to the command line or just freezing?
Sortta freezing. I've tried fluxbox, Gnome, vga, smp and a few more but whatever I try Sabayon opens ( look good, everything is there, the descktop incons on the left, the bar on top, the kicker at the bottom, if I hoover the mouse over a shortcut I get a short description but the second I click anything, either on the desktop, the kicker or the top bar nothing happens and all I'm left with is the pointer ( which I can move around ) and the ability to see a description of what is on the top bar. Some choices allow me to Ctrl-Alt-Del out but never really to restart.To think that it worked so well in my XP box ( only 1 Ghz, 512 MB of RAM and a 2 or 4 MB S3 Trio Virge video card ) while my Linux machine has a 2Mhz, 512 MB of RAM and a 4 MB S3 Trio Savage video card .I would be so tempted to resize my 2nd hd ( 40 GB) which has only SuSE 10.2 retail right now to something like 20 GB and make a 10 GB for Sabayon and see if I can make it work but if I loose SuSE I have to go back to Open Suse 'cause I don't have the installation DVD for retail.Any suggestion anyone?

I am sorry that your having problems with your Saba, did you check your md file before burning it? also if needed to mount the other partitions just create them mount them and if you need to be root type in $ sudo su and enter ...if you need a password then make one # passwd .... i found it a nice distro only thing i did find wrong with it was the bootup was slow compared to others, aside from that was really nice ...

Dunno what happened to my last post but the good news is that I'm in!!! I'm in the money!!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Not sure wat boot parameter I used ( something like "excite" will find out setting, don't worry and let you know). Then I chose Gnome and here I am the middle mouse working, the internet working. Will probably play around for a day or two before installing but so far I like it!!!

The mini was released today - has some bug fixes from the RC 2 release.Please see here for info and download linkshttp://www.lxnaydesign.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1027They got some FTPs to help handle the load, personally it's working great for me so I am gonna just hold off till they release the final, which I am expecting in like a month.

I downloaded the mini and burned it but I must have either a bad download or a bad burn because the computer doesn't see that there is a CD in the drive. (You'd think I'd learn to quit burning in windows and just let K3b in linux do it). I also did something else stupid - before I tested the CD, I erased the downloaded iso! That will teach me not to clean up so fast.Sooo, I think I fire up linux and download it again and see if I can get a good CD.

Hi Liz!Do you have WinMd5sum ? and do you use it when you download an install CD on Windows before burning it using Nero? or whichever burner. After I download something I right-click on the file and choose Send to>> md5sum and I get one then I compare it to the one that came with the download.Does this mean that I burn less plastic? Yes! Do I still burn too much? Yes! But we are learning, right? Just wished I could find a good brand of CD-RW or DVD-RW that we can reuse at least a dozen times or so.

réjean, I do have a program (it's just a right click to determine md5 or sha-1 hash) which I also stupidly didn't use. I then fired up linux, downloaded it again, checked the md5 auto in K3b and had a successful and bootable burn.It is very slow (I know Live CDs are slower but this seems slower than my normal Live CDs). I do like the different color scheme. There is one thing I don't like - a bar at the top and the bottom! I want the most space possible for my web windows and with abar at the top and bottom, it doesn't happen. I can get used to the bar at the top or the bottom but I don't want it at both places. I've only fired up KDE, maybe in gnome there is only one bar. I thought I'd browse in it but it is so painfully slow that I gave up.

just create a new user and you will have a normal desktopI don't use the livecd that much - I just normally do the hd install right away. It's very quick when it is installed - boot up is slow due to the fact of XGL and server timeouts. I don't really understand that part of it. A new xorg and nvidia drivers helps speed it up some and they posted some tweaks on the forum about it too.The Final Version is estimated to be out in 2 weeks.

Works fine on the XP machine but when I boot it into the Linux box AMD 2000+ it opens alright and the first time I was able to open the K startup button and see all that's in it but then and since when I try to click on something ( either in KDE or Gnome ) nothing happens or it crashes ( although the cursor is still moving ). Any suggestion anyone? Will keep on playing with the bootparameters in the meantime.
This is precisely what was happening to me. It would randomly crash, but the mouse curser was still live and moving. Sorry no suggestion on this. This why I had to give up. Don't forget that ths is still a beta version, and the people who put it together still don't have their act fully together. There are still things that are missing in the OS, and they don't have what they need to be able to do an adequate FTP download. As far as Bit Torrent, I don't have the patience to wait two days for my downloads to complete.What is nice about Gentoo, one doesn't have to worry about new versions and upgrades. My Brother-in-Law uses Gentoo, and he loves it! The thing automatically keeps things up to date by itself. He said that it took him a week to download and compile the entire package, and then set it up. If they can get this Live Distro all cleaned up, it will save a lot of pain to be able to use Gentoo once it is installed on a hard drive. :hysterical: Cheers!

Yea I don't know how the livecd functions but I know once it is installed it works good.I find most livecds are slow to respond and sometimes the media that one uses makes it even worse cause it doesn't read the disk properly.I like gentoo for the fact that you can keep it updated easily - just got to get it installed.

Yea I don't know how the livecd functions but I know once it is installed it works good.I find most livecds are slow to respond and sometimes the media that one uses makes it even worse cause it doesn't read the disk properly.I like gentoo for the fact that you can keep it updated easily - just got to get it installed.
If you have an old and slow machine, then the response will be slow. But I found that with the newer and faster machines, the speed lag is pretty tolerable, and I can put up with that. This is why I mentioned that I could easily put up with a semi-live distro. No installation required. The only small space that the distro would occupy on the hard drive are for the variables, such as the settings, and dynamic data. This would allow for one to remove the platter from the cd/dvd player when the system is shutdown, and the next time that it is booted up again, you could be right back at where you left off. If the distro is small enough, the whole thing can be copied to memory (copy2ram), and thus freeing the cd/dvd player for other uses. In that case, it would eliminate the speed lag that you wrote about. I tried some live distros that could be copied2ram, but were too large to fit in this half-gig ram on this machine.

Well after 2 days and nights of downloading from the ftp site I finally got it. I use a download manager (which was a good thing) as I had to stop it a few times to do other work. Any way I burned it to a DVD and here I am in the live version. I am impressed. I to always wanted to try a Gentoo type distro, But did not want the pain of compilling and all of the command line stuff. (I don't type very well) :thumbsup: Thats an understatement. I use two fingers and hunt and peck. :whistling: I booted up with the KDE desktop will have to try the Gnome next as I am growing rather fond of it. I probably won't install to the hard drive until the final release is out. I am using an older machine and the 32bit version. I am at my summer home in Nevada but will be going back to Arizona to my winter home next week where I have a 1.5 to 3.0 cable connection and will download the 64bit version there.Thanks kelly for the info on this distro..Mel :whistling:

This is precisely what was happening to me. It would randomly crash, but the mouse curser was still live and moving. Sorry no suggestion on this. This why I had to give up.
Hi onederer!Have you try booting using "xistence" without the quotes. Look in F2 or F3 or F4. Good luck.This is what worked for me.

Hi onederer!Have you try booting using "xistence" without the quotes. Look in F2 or F3 or F4. Good luck.This is what worked for me.
I am now on the live CD of it and so far it seems okay.Was not the fastest download though, took about a hour - but i sure like the different look if i could only figure out what everything is. (at my age i never will.)

I am now on the live CD of it and so far it seems okay.Was not the fastest download though, took about a hour - but i sure like the different look ...
Hi Dense!Did you need a special boot parameter or did it work right off the bat?
...if i could only figure out what everything is. (at my age i never will.)
We only want to figure out what we need, right? We don't have to know it all. I'm sure you'll be doing just fine. Did you post from it? Then you've got the internet figured out. That's a big step.

Hi Dense!Did you need a special boot parameter or did it work right off the bat? We only want to figure out what we need, right? We don't have to know it all. I'm sure you'll be doing just fine. Did you post from it? Then you've got the internet figured out. That's a big step.
Did i need anything special? No and if i did i would be lost.Did i post from it? Yes and i am replying to you from it now. Have been using it on live CD only, ever since downloading this morning. (10'oclock California time.)